PDA

View Full Version : Do we have any Birders on the Forum?

donttread
04-07-2019, 08:27 AM
I was sitting here this morning in my DR in NNY way north of Syracuse and saw what I first thought was a Cardinal but quickly realized was a Taniger. The problem is that with the help of Goggle image, I have identified it as a Summer Tanager which should not be here vs. A Scarlet Tanager which, while rarely seen, do range into this area.
Can a Summer Tanager ( male) be this far north? If so is he doomed if the weather doesn't break real soon?

Peter1469
04-07-2019, 08:52 AM
Not a birder. I would expect birds's instincts draw them to climates they can live in.

MMC
04-07-2019, 09:39 AM
I will have to pass on this one. So I will defer to the Toronto Blue Jay. :laugh:

Mini Me
04-07-2019, 10:11 AM
No birders, but many birdbrains! LOL.

MisterVeritis
04-07-2019, 11:21 AM
This is not intended to derail but I frequently see evidence of a half-blind Twit.

countryboy
04-07-2019, 11:32 AM
I was sitting here this morning in my DR in NNY way north of Syracuse and saw what I first thought was a Cardinal but quickly realized was a Taniger. The problem is that with the help of Goggle image, I have identified it as a Summer Tanager which should not be here vs. A Scarlet Tanager which, while rarely seen, do range into this area.
Can a Summer Tanager ( male) be this far north? If so is he doomed if the weather doesn't break real soon?

Not a birder, but I did sit outside this morning with my coffee and a pair of binoculars. Watched a couple of competing woodpeckers for a while. Was hoping to see a raptor of some kind, but no luck. The turkey vultures are back, which pleases me, they are magnificent flyers. Maybe I am a birder, lol.

donttread
04-28-2019, 01:30 PM
Not a birder, but I did sit outside this morning with my coffee and a pair of binoculars. Watched a couple of competing woodpeckers for a while. Was hoping to see a raptor of some kind, but no luck. The turkey vultures are back, which pleases me, they are magnificent flyers. Maybe I am a birder, lol.

They are impressive in the air. But up close they are ugly birds!

donttread
04-28-2019, 01:32 PM
My wife and son have now seen the bird but it is wicked camera shy. Maybe it will head south after this weekend.

countryboy
04-28-2019, 02:46 PM
They are impressive in the air. But up close they are ugly birds!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Turkeys aren't generally considered beautiful up close either, but Ben Franklin wanted them to be the national bird, instead of the bald eagle.

Tahuyaman
04-29-2019, 09:50 PM
I like to shoot crows.

Just AnotherPerson
04-30-2019, 11:58 AM

I noticed some similar type events when I lived near Hanford in the Tricities. Some years ago we started seeing animals that we had never seen before. "we" meaning the residents, of the area. The first shocker was the Blue Heron, then the Pelican, then small lizards. There was one other bird but I don't know what it is called. It suddenly appeared, they floated in the water much like ducks do, and they would dive under water for a really long time and then pop up way far from where they dove.

I still remember the first time I seen the blue Heron it was quite shocking. We (me and family) were camping we had hiked back to some trout lake. When we got to the lake there was a giant blue heron he was like nothing I had ever seen before kind of like a dinosaur, so blue. He opened his wings to fly and that is when you could see how massive that bird was and he took flight. Not long after they were in the city too. It wasn't such a shock thereafter.

So my thoughts are that things are changing and the animals are finding new homes.

donttread
04-30-2019, 03:57 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Turkeys aren't generally considered beautiful up close either, but Ben Franklin wanted them to be the national bird, instead of the bald eagle.

OK. But that head?

donttread
04-30-2019, 04:05 PM
I noticed some similar type events when I lived near Hanford in the Tricities. Some years ago we started seeing animals that we had never seen before. "we" meaning the residents, of the area. The first shocker was the Blue Heron, then the Pelican, then small lizards. There was one other bird but I don't know what it is called. It suddenly appeared, they floated in the water much like ducks do, and they would dive under water for a really long time and then pop up way far from where they dove.

I still remember the first time I seen the blue Heron it was quite shocking. We (me and family) were camping we had hiked back to some trout lake. When we got to the lake there was a giant blue heron he was like nothing I had ever seen before kind of like a dinosaur, so blue. He opened his wings to fly and that is when you could see how massive that bird was and he took flight. Not long after they were in the city too. It wasn't such a shock thereafter.

So my thoughts are that things are changing and the animals are finding new homes.

Sounds like you are describing a loon? Critters do show range movement. Our whole area used to have no appreciable Possum population, but they are around the southern portion of our area now. Other times, like Otters 15 years ago and T. Vultures before that the creature is "reintroduced" on purpose. That is probably more common here because we are in the Adirondacks.

Just AnotherPerson
04-30-2019, 04:28 PM
Sounds like you are describing a loon? Critters do show range movement. Our whole area used to have no appreciable Possum population, but they are around the southern portion of our area now. Other times, like Otters 15 years ago and T. Vultures before that the creature is "reintroduced" on purpose. That is probably more common here because we are in the Adirondacks.
I think you are right :) probably a loon. I looked at the images they did look similar to them. Ours were more scraggly looking and were all black and a bit smaller. The head looks the same. But maybe there are different variations. I don't know. You know many here on this site have given me that same name, surprised I didn't think of it myself. LoL

MisterVeritis
04-30-2019, 04:32 PM
We have a neighborhood hawk. This morning it was sunning itself on one of my wall columns. When I got up to take a picture it noticed me immediately. With two or three seemingly effortless wing flaps it was up in the trees.

This is the second time in a month.

countryboy
04-30-2019, 05:31 PM
OK. But that head?

Lol.

donttread
04-30-2019, 06:38 PM
I think you are right :) probably a loon. I looked at the images they did look similar to them. Ours were more scraggly looking and were all black and a bit smaller. The head looks the same. But maybe there are different variations. I don't know. You know many here on this site have given me that same name, surprised I didn't think of it myself. LoL

There are at least 2 subspecies but also because of the partially submerged way the float the white can be hard to see sometimes. When you mentioned the distance they cover and time they stay down I immediately thought loons. Commorants are black, but I don't know them to be known for covering distance under water like the loon.

Just AnotherPerson
04-30-2019, 10:11 PM
We have a neighborhood hawk. This morning it was sunning itself on one of my wall columns. When I got up to take a picture it noticed me immediately. With two or three seemingly effortless wing flaps it was up in the trees.

This is the second time in a month.
Wonderful, may I interpret this auspicious interaction for you? Ah yes, the hawk shows itself. This can be interpreted as a sign from heaven, that it is time to start the great civil war. It is as though it is a symbol representing, that the time is at hand. That is how it seems, but when you go get your camera with a few easy flaps he is out of sight. This second half can be interpreted as you having thought the time was right, but it was just out of your reach. The moment that you go to employ your great civil war it will disappear before your eyes, like the Guiado coup d'état.

It can be interpreted as what seemed like the opportune time, would prove to not be a reachable goal.

….....purifies this sacred space with holy sage.........Sprinkles ceremonial tobacco........The great Oracle has taken upon herself the great kindness of interpreting your auspicious encounter...........

It is said if the great bird lands 3 times within the month you will be greatly blessed by then heavens. You will obtain health and immortality. All you need to do to ensure his return, is make sure the bird feeder has seeds............................................ Sprinkles ceremonial tobacco. ............... Perhaps prey will draw him near.

But you must not allow the Hawk to eat the birds at the feeder, or the blessings will be taken back by the heavens. If the blessings of heaven are taken back, then one of three things will occur, you will begin to start believing in climate change, or you will transform into a democrat, or three you will begin to have an aversion to corporations. Should any of these three occur great suffering would ensue throughout the land, and there will be great turmoil in the earth realm, for a time of 300 klapa's.

With palms joined the oracle bows to you. May you be blessed by the heavens if the bird returns and attain health, and immortality.............Burns ceremonial sage............................Sprinkles ceremonial tobacco....................

Just AnotherPerson
04-30-2019, 10:15 PM
There are at least 2 subspecies but also because of the partially submerged way the float the white can be hard to see sometimes. When you mentioned the distance they cover and time they stay down I immediately thought loons. Commorants are black, but I don't know them to be known for covering distance under water like the loon.
The commorant looks a lot closer to the bird I am describing. It might be. The loon was a pretty bird.

donttread
05-01-2019, 06:52 AM
The commorant looks a lot closer to the bird I am describing. It might be. The loon was a pretty bird.

Yes they are, commorants belong in the sea. they are a plague in some inland water ways. Loons can pop up a couple of hundred yards and probably 2 minutes from where they went under. I have been very close to these great birds.

jigglepete
05-02-2019, 02:56 PM
I suppose you could call me a birder...yesterday I almost got into an accident when an American Kestral (my absolute favorite bird of prey, second only to the Peregrine Falcon) did a fly over...the hood of my car. It was glorious (five feet away, and I didn't hit it)!

https://www.google.com/search?q=american+kestrel&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=U61pSnes4_avvM%253A%252C4pbSrnzenc_QKM%252C%25 2Fm%252F01_xq2&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSTgDvI3_AvYNumVnJYVBkWCuigfw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj28srdzv3hAhVjkuAKHTPtCdkQ_h0wIHoECAoQD A#imgrc=GxWB-b7XVBZxLM:&vet=1&spf=1556826527955

jigglepete
05-02-2019, 03:14 PM
Just AnotherPerson this link should make it easy to know if it was a Loon or a Cormorant either way "beautiful plumage"- M. Python

https://www.loon.org/is-it-a-loon.php

donttread
05-02-2019, 06:49 PM
I suppose you could call me a birder...yesterday I almost got into an accident when an American Kestral (my absolute favorite bird of prey, second only to the Peregrine Falcon) did a fly over...the hood of my car. It was glorious (five feet away, and I didn't hit it)!

https://www.google.com/search?q=american+kestrel&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=U61pSnes4_avvM%3A%2C4pbSrnzenc_QKM%2C%2Fm%2F01 _xq2&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSTgDvI3_AvYNumVnJYVBkWCuigfw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj28srdzv3hAhVjkuAKHTPtCdkQ_h0wIHoECAoQD A#imgrc=GxWB-b7XVBZxLM:&vet=1&spf=1556826527955

now that's how to find a silver lining

Just AnotherPerson
05-02-2019, 07:47 PM
@Just AnotherPerson (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=2053) this link should make it easy to know if it was a Loon or a Cormorant either way "beautiful plumage"- M. Python

https://www.loon.org/is-it-a-loon.php
Thank you for that. It is 100% the double-crested comorant. So now that I know that, I did a search to see if that kind of bird is in the tricities, and yes. I found an article. https://washingtonlandscape.blogspot.com/2012/02/double-crested-cormorant-in-eastern.html You and donttread definitely know your birds. I love birds. I just don't know the names of all of them. Normally I just call them little loch ness they look like the loch ness monster from afar with their heads sticking out of the water, sorry I have a strange sense of humor. :)

Just AnotherPerson
05-02-2019, 07:49 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=american+kestrel&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=U61pSnes4_avvM%3A%2C4pbSrnzenc_QKM%2C%2Fm%2F01 _xq2&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kSTgDvI3_AvYNumVnJYVBkWCuigfw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj28srdzv3hAhVjkuAKHTPtCdkQ_h0wIHoECAoQD A#imgrc=GxWB-b7XVBZxLM:&vet=1&spf=1556826527955
So glad you didn't hit it. Now that is a pretty bird, wow such big eyes.

countryboy
05-02-2019, 09:49 PM

I saw a Peregrine Falcon on the side of the road yesterday eating a kill. I've actually witnessed them in full dive on their prey, two or three times. Very impressive. I've also seen Bald Eagle, and an Osprey catch fish out of my neighbor's bluegill pond.

jigglepete
05-03-2019, 05:56 PM
I saw a Peregrine Falcon on the side of the road yesterday eating a kill. I've actually witnessed them in full dive on their prey, two or three times. Very impressive. I've also seen Bald Eagle, and an Osprey catch fish out of my neighbor's bluegill pond.

I've also watched peregrine's diving at Mount Desert Island in Bar Harbor, ME (for most of the day). Un. B. Leavable!! But,
until you've seen a pair of bald eagles mating in mid air you haven't lived :D

Cotton1
05-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Just AnotherPerson
05-09-2019, 06:11 PM
donttread I ran across an article for birders. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/green/Birdwatchers-Help-Bird-Populations-Threatened-Climate-509584721.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=general&utm_content=three

It is about this very subject. I don't know if you are interested in reading it or not but I linked it anyways. :)

donttread
05-09-2019, 06:27 PM
@donttread (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=922) I ran across an article for birders. https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/green/Birdwatchers-Help-Bird-Populations-Threatened-Climate-509584721.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=general&utm_content=three

It is about this very subject. I don't know if you are interested in reading it or not but I linked it anyways. :)

Thanks. Interesting stuff. Stuff I had no idea even happened. Like insects getting scarce. Now why can't that happen to Mosquittos and Black flies!

Lummy
05-10-2019, 07:02 AM
I take interest in the birds I observe but I don't go looking for them, so I wouldn't consider myself a "birder". The most difficult birds to identify by type are hawks, IMHO.

donttread
05-17-2019, 07:06 AM
So yesterday my wife got a picture of a bird similar to the one I saw but not the same. We identified it as large female northern Cardinal. She is quite long. I'm now thinking the bird i saw was the male and for some reason he just wasn't as brilliant red as they usually are. It could have been my old eyes, but I doubt it as I had been within a few feet of a Cardinal while on vacation a couple of months ago. She was in the exact same tree as the bird i saw so maybe we'll get lucky and they will nest on our property.
My wife also said the bird tried to come in, the tree isn't far from our porch window so she did not hit the glass with any speed or get hurt. My wife was wearing red at the time. Is it possible she thought it was her hubby and she wanted to fly to him to give him a list of chores?

countryboy
05-24-2019, 07:45 AM
OK. But that head?

Hey donttread, got a pic of our favorite bird, in flight, on a trail cam the other day. Don't worry, you can't see his head, lol.

Just AnotherPerson
05-24-2019, 08:33 AM
Hey donttread, got a pic of our favorite bird, in flight, on a trail cam the other day. Don't worry, you can't see his head, lol.
Beautiful picture.

donttread
05-24-2019, 09:03 AM

LOL. Thanks for sparing me that.

Captain Obvious
05-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Always been kind of a bird buff. We have several feeders around the yard and a hummingbird feeder, we get lots of those.

Always have a local species book handy to identify the weird looking ones.