PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina - Firing Squad as an Option

MisterVeritis
04-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Here is another story I like:

SC may use firing squad as death penalty workaround
South Carolina prison officials say they currently don't have the drugs for lethal injection and don't know when they will be able to obtain them.

Don Zelenka, who handles death penalty appeals for South Carolina, says there are currently 29 men on South Carolina death row.

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/local/sc-may-use-firing-squad-as-death-penalty-workaround/101-35f7f6df-20f9-4c31-aaab-e29e99c7ff63

Line them up and shoot them. The do-gooders who stand in the way are not getting their way much longer.

Lummy
04-26-2019, 05:19 PM
Line them up and shoot them all at the same time. Cost: about $12 for a box of bullets. Show it live on youtube.

Everything else has been tried. See how this works as a detriment.

Newpublius
04-26-2019, 05:38 PM
I don't object though I have read how war criminals executed in WW2 requested firing squad and were hung to underscore the criminal nature of their conduct.

MisterVeritis
04-26-2019, 05:40 PM
I don't object though I have read how war criminals executed in WW2 requested firing squad and were hung to underscore the criminal nature of their conduct.
I do not object to death by hanging.
Killing them is what is necessary.

Of course they will continue to vote for Democrats.

Private Pickle
04-26-2019, 06:49 PM
There used to be a time in some Stateswhen the condemned was able to choose from a list of available methods.

montgomery
04-26-2019, 08:30 PM
Oh Americans, you're so American! The civilized world stopped capital punishment decades ago and you weird cookies are foaming at the mouth over the possibilities of a live show.

How can America ever come back from all this degeneracy that has been brought on by Trump? Is it possible or is this truly the fall of the empire?

luv from Canada.

Just AnotherPerson
04-26-2019, 08:36 PM
Here is another story I like:

SC may use firing squad as death penalty workaround

South Carolina prison officials say they currently don't have the drugs for lethal injection and don't know when they will be able to obtain them.

Don Zelenka, who handles death penalty appeals for South Carolina, says there are currently 29 men on South Carolina death row.

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/local/sc-may-use-firing-squad-as-death-penalty-workaround/101-35f7f6df-20f9-4c31-aaab-e29e99c7ff63

Line them up and shoot them. The do-gooders who stand in the way are not getting their way much longer.

Hmm this sounds familiar..... are we following in the footsteps of our BFF's Saudi Arabia?

Just AnotherPerson
04-26-2019, 08:45 PM
Oh Americans, you're so American! The civilized world stopped capital punishment decades ago and you weird cookies are foaming at the mouth over the possibilities of a live show.

How can America ever come back from all this degeneracy that has been brought on by Trump? Is it possible or is this truly the fall of the empire?

luv from Canada.
I believe it is possible to come back from it. I mean there is a lot of damage, the psycho nut jobs have been given so much power that they will really freak out when lawlessness and all that, are not acceptable norms anymore.

This is a nation that has shown in history if you elect a Republican and he does not satisfy the people, then they instantly vote in a Democrat next time. We flop back and forth, but really there is no difference between the two usually.

But Trump is different. These are not normal Republicans. It is possible that the US will be so fed up with what Trump has done, it will be the final straw so to speak, we might really clean up our act once his reign is over. We might work to be a better nation than we have ever been before. The people will realize that we can no longer sit silently by and allow this kind of thing to happen ever again. I believe we will utilize the full powers of our democracy and we will change this nation for the better. It is possible. If not then we are screwed.

But if we flop from dem to repub imagine how much they will flop when we have gone from pure all out corruption and disgrace. We will want to flop towards being saints.

Lummy
04-26-2019, 08:52 PM

Brought on by Obama and his empowerment of blacks to raise hell -- that is what brought it on. And Hillary needs it. That's what brought it on. Nothing to do with Trump.

montgomery
04-26-2019, 08:55 PM
I believe it is possible to come back from it. I mean there is a lot of damage, the psycho nut jobs have been given so much power that they will really freak out when lawlessness and all that, are not acceptable norms anymore.

This is a nation that has shown in history if you elect a Republican and he does not satisfy the people, then they instantly vote in a Democrat next time. We flop back and forth, but really there is no difference between the two usually.

But Trump is different. These are not normal Republicans. It is possible that the US will be so fed up with what Trump has done, it will be the final straw so to speak, we might really clean up our act once his reign is over. We might work to be a better nation than we have ever been before. The people will realize that we can no longer sit silently by and allow this kind of thing to happen ever again. I believe we will utilize the full powers of our democracy and we will change this nation for the better. It is possible. If not then we are screwed.

But if we flop from dem to repub imagine how much they will flop when we have gone from pure all out corruption and disgrace. We will want to flop towards being saints.

Wise words friend, but have you completely considered the possibility of Trump and his accomplices stealing the power that democracy has to stop corruption? I could be wrong but I suspect that now that Trump has the Scotus, he has managed to grab enough power to stop change at the ballot box.

Wasn't the 2000 election of Bush2/Gore a bit of a sneak preview of what could happen, even on a small scale?

I would suggest the powers that be of the law is at least hatching a plan to stop Trump just in case it's needed. And everything is on the table.

montgomery
04-26-2019, 08:58 PM
Brought on by Obama and his empowerment of blacks to raise hell -- that is what brought it on. And Hillary needs it. That's what brought it on. Nothing to do with Trump.

I'm o.k. with blaming anybody that makes you happy. At least I've tricked you into coming out and admitting that trouble is on the front burner and it's getting to be priceless entertainment!

Common Sense
04-26-2019, 09:05 PM
I get the idea behind the death penalty, but in the end it's vengeance and not justice. It's also not a deterrent or cost effective. Bullets or otherwise.

The list of countries that still employ it is pretty ugly. It's a shame the US is part of that group.

Just AnotherPerson
04-26-2019, 09:07 PM
Wise words friend, but have you completely considered the possibility of Trump and his accomplices stealing the power that democracy has to stop corruption? I could be wrong but I suspect that now that Trump has the Scotus, he has managed to grab enough power to stop change at the ballot box.

Wasn't the 2000 election of Bush2/Gore a bit of a sneak preview of what could happen, even on a small scale?

I would suggest the powers that be of the law is at least hatching a plan to stop Trump just in case it's needed. And everything is on the table.

You are correct about that and they are doing just as you say. But also we have some who are working to try and change that. Tulsi Gabbard introduced a bill to make it so that we have to use a paper ballot so that nothing can be hacked, and everything can be traceable. There will still be cheating with paper ballots but it would help. We need voter reform asap so that we can have clean elections, on both sides. We have to be real both sides cheat. The winner is whom ever is the best cheater. We need to curb all that. These people are nothing but thieves of democracy.

countryboy
04-26-2019, 09:17 PM

luv from Canada.

Wait, Trump brought back capital punishment? No, of course he didn't. But he DID promote, and sign into law, criminal justice reform. Is that what you mean by "degeneracy"?

Don29palms
04-27-2019, 12:36 AM

And what has Trump done that people are so fed up with? Making the country better for everyone?

Don29palms
04-27-2019, 12:38 AM
I get the idea behind the death penalty, but in the end it's vengeance and not justice. It's also not a deterrent or cost effective. Bullets or otherwise.

The list of countries that still employ it is pretty ugly. It's a shame the US is part of that group.

Why do you care? You're not American.

Common Sense
04-27-2019, 12:40 AM
Why do you care? You're not American.

Yawn...

fbond02
04-27-2019, 05:14 AM
I get the idea behind the death penalty, but in the end it's vengeance and not justice. It's also not a deterrent or cost effective. Bullets or otherwise.The list of countries that still employ it is pretty ugly. It's a shame the US is part of that group.
I’m mixed on the whole capital punishment thing:

I am against it….BUT….if we’re going to have it, we’re currently doing it the worst possible way.

I propose that once you’re sentenced to death, you get a 90 day window. During that 90 days, three federal judges with no knowledge of your case review it soup to nuts. One may be from Iowa, another from Missouri, a third from Arizona to determine the fate of someone condemned from Georgia. They meet during those 90 days, discuss the case with defense counsel and prosecution. They may re-interview witnesses. Additional DNA tests are mandatory when appropriate. At the end of the 90 days, they either block the execution and order a new trial or it goes forward at the State’s convenience. Meaning that the person on death row either gets a new trial or they get the needle/bullet/noose, etc… The appeal after appeal, the legal wrangling, the gamesmanship…enough already. It’s time to fast-track executions if we’re going to have them.

I think the entire enterprise is stupid but, really, if you’re a state that has the death penalty, what in the heck are you doing allowing 10-25 years of legal proceedings?

fbond02
04-27-2019, 05:16 AM
You are correct about that and they are doing just as you say. But also we have some who are working to try and change that. Tulsi Gabbard introduced a bill to make it so that we have to use a paper ballot so that nothing can be hacked, and everything can be traceable. There will still be cheating with paper ballots but it would help. We need voter reform asap so that we can have clean elections, on both sides. We have to be real both sides cheat. The winner is whom ever is the best cheater. We need to curb all that. These people are nothing but thieves of democracy.

No, the winner is who got the most votes except in our Presidential contests and that is decided by electoral votes. Claiming any winner is a cheater is dumb.

Don29palms
04-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Yawn...

It was a rhetorical question. We all know it's because all of you foreigners are just trolls.

donttread
04-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Line them up and shoot them all at the same time. Cost: about $12 for a box of bullets. Show it live on youtube.

Everything else has been tried. See how this works as a detriment.

It the how long that acts as deterant. But then again one must wonder how you can discourage someone willing to kill and face life in prison for it. To me it's more about saving resources to improve the rehabilitation of those who have a chance. Either way, the delay negates the gain

montgomery
04-27-2019, 12:17 PM

Good thinking friend! But I 'will' also say that democracy in America is being very seriously threatened and that which you understand must happen, must happen very soon or it won't be possible to stop Trump.

Trump has your Scotus now and a lot of people are trying to downplay the huge impact that has on the possibilities of upholding a democratic system. And the control of the ballot box is another very serious challenge to democracy ever trying to crawl back. Trump and his fascist group may very well have the power to prevent reform to paper ballots.

Democracy in America may already have been defeated!

montgomery
04-27-2019, 12:20 PM

I personally consider your avatar to be quite shameful at this point in history. Maybe some time in the near future that impression can be changed. I don't give rehabilitation and reform of America any more than a year in which to make it happen. And then after that, it will be impossible.

Common Sense
04-27-2019, 12:22 PM
I personally consider your avatar to be quite shameful at this point in history. Maybe some time in the near future that impression can be changed. I don't give rehabilitation and reform of America any more than a year in which to make it happen. And then after that, it will be impossible.
Why is it shameful?

I'm not really sure what you're getting at with the rest of your post.

montgomery
04-27-2019, 12:25 PM
I’m mixed on the whole capital punishment thing:

I am against it….BUT….if we’re going to have it, we’re currently doing it the worst possible way.

I propose that once you’re sentenced to death, you get a 90 day window. During that 90 days, three federal judges with no knowledge of your case review it soup to nuts. One may be from Iowa, another from Missouri, a third from Arizona to determine the fate of someone condemned from Georgia. They meet during those 90 days, discuss the case with defense counsel and prosecution. They may re-interview witnesses. Additional DNA tests are mandatory when appropriate. At the end of the 90 days, they either block the execution and order a new trial or it goes forward at the State’s convenience. Meaning that the person on death row either gets a new trial or they get the needle/bullet/noose, etc… The appeal after appeal, the legal wrangling, the gamesmanship…enough already. It’s time to fast-track executions if we’re going to have them.

I think the entire enterprise is stupid but, really, if you’re a state that has the death penalty, what in the heck are you doing allowing 10-25 years of legal proceedings?

Why didn't you just say you're for capital punishment? Do Christians need to bloviate with a lot of useless verbage in order to justify the medieval practice?

Captdon
04-27-2019, 12:31 PM

The only shame is allowing them to appeal for 30 years before we kill them. We here are going to kill them, one way or another. We offer the choice of drugs or electrocution. We mostly think we should take the option of drugs away.

montgomery
04-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Why is it shameful?

I'm not really sure what you're getting at with the rest of your post.

It's shameful to me because it suggests that America is still Canada's friend. America under Trump is not and I would suggest that America probably doesn't have any friends left now. But it's obviously true that Canada, the EU, and some other countries are treading lightly in the fight against illegal or unjust US sanctions against others.

If Trump decides to escalate the fight then I fear the gloves will come off and he's get a real fight that he wasn't bargaining for. America could then be easily isolated and become the econmic enemy of nearly all of the rest of the world.

Canada isn't ready and willing to put our economic clout with China, and the EU hasn't come to such drastic measures yet either. But it's not out of the question.

If the truth is known, it's likely that Trump has already pulled in his horns and is now engaged in damage control measures with countries that used to be unequivocally America's friends.

My personal feeling is that this it the greatest opportunity Canada will ever have to break away from a lot of US trade and diversify with trade relations more with the rest of the world. Trump has provided the justification.

Oh, and I was suggesting that Trump will have co-opted democracy's ability to stop him after a year. It's already quite close to being accomplished, if one looks closely.

Common Sense
04-27-2019, 12:46 PM
It's shameful to me because it suggests that America is still Canada's friend. America under Trump is not and I would suggest that America probably doesn't have any friends left now. But it's obviously true that Canada, the EU, and some other countries are treading lightly in the fight against illegal or unjust US sanctions against others.

If Trump decides to escalate the fight then I fear the gloves will come off and he's get a real fight that he wasn't bargaining for. America could then be easily isolated and become the econmic enemy of nearly all of the rest of the world.

Canada isn't ready and willing to put our economic clout with China, and the EU hasn't come to such drastic measures yet either. But it's not out of the question.

If the truth is known, it's likely that Trump has already pulled in his horns and is now engaged in damage control measures with countries that used to be unequivocally America's friends.

My personal feeling is that this it the greatest opportunity Canada will ever have to break away from a lot of US trade and diversify with trade relations more with the rest of the world. Trump has provided the justification.

Oh, and I was suggesting that Trump will have co-opted democracy's ability to stop him after a year. It's already quite close to being accomplished, if one looks closely.
Regardless of who is leading the country, the two nations are friends, allies and trading partners. I'm very fond of Americans and the country itself. Trump only represents a small portion of the American people. It's unfortunate that the US is going through this phase, but I still consider America a friend.

montgomery
04-27-2019, 12:59 PM
Regardless of who is leading the country, the two nations are friends, allies and trading partners. I'm very fond of Americans and the country itself. Trump only represents a small portion of the American people. It's unfortunate that the US is going through this phase, but I still consider America a friend.

As we speak, the facade of complete and loyal friendship is being upheld. No declaration of fighting back hard by Canada has been made and none will be made for quite some time. I would suggest that we'll ride it out until the end of Trump's first term at least. But if Trump continue, and it's a big if , then the swords of economics will come out.

I suspect that Trump now understands that he's been defeated by the concerted efforts of the rest of the world, even though we have kept it feeble and polite. But I also see America needing to escalate because of America's non-viable position in industry, agriculture, and economics in general. America simply is not going to be capable of competing fairly.

I would suggest that China is capable of destroying America economically alone, but is not at wanting or needing to get tough yet. [b]We can only hope that America is capable of getting rid of Trump soon enough? I firmly believe that within little more than a year, Trump will have the power to rule indefinitely.

Some Americans are thinking it but they're a long way from doing something meaningful about it.

Don29palms
04-27-2019, 03:00 PM
Why didn't you just say you're for capital punishment? Do Christians need to bloviate with a lot of useless verbage in order to justify the medieval practice?

You must be Christian by your standards because you post alot a say nothing.

Don29palms
04-27-2019, 03:02 PM

America won't get any fight from the pussies in Canada. That's for sure.