PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Americans Do NOT Want Voting Age Lowered To 16

Common
05-04-2019, 12:40 PM
You cant drink until you are 21, you cant buy cigarettes till youre 18 and soon to be in some states 21.
You cant join the military until youre 17 and you cant drink on base until you are 18

But our democrat dingbats want 16 yr olds to vote, Oh and 16 yr old illegal immigrants with their parents too

Americans really don’t want the voting age lowered to 17, and they really, really don’t want it lowered to 16, a blow to a recent proposal by many Democrats.

A Hill-HarrisX poll released Thursday found a clear majority, 75%, of registered voters were against lowering the voting age to 17, and a whopping 84% opposed lowering it to 16. As The Hill reported, “Every age group in the poll was against lowering the voting age to 16 or 17, though younger respondents were more supportive than older participants.”

That’s… not good for Democrats who have been (https://www.dailywire.com/news/44345/grabbing-more-votes-far-left-dem-congresswoman-hank-berrien) recently calling for (https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/03/15/nancy-pelosi-supports-lowering-voting-age-16-fox-friends-guests-debate) the voting age to be lowered to 16.
Of the younger participants who were more open to the idea, 39% favored the idea of lowering the voting age to 17 and 27% favored lowering it to 16. This “younger” group included respondents who were between the ages of 18 and 34. Conversely, older Americans were even less favorable to the idea than the average. Just 13% of respondents aged 65 and older were open to the voting age being lowered to 17 and a miniscule 5% supported lowering it to 16.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/46782/poll-americans-do-not-want-voting-age-lowered-16-ashe-schow

MisterVeritis
05-04-2019, 12:53 PM
I want the voting age raised to 26 to match the age one can no longer be carried on a parent's health insurance policy.

gamewell45
05-04-2019, 01:11 PM
You cant drink until you are 21, you cant buy cigarettes till youre 18 and soon to be in some states 21.
You cant join the military until youre 17 and you cant drink on base until you are 18

But our democrat dingbats want 16 yr olds to vote, Oh and 16 yr old illegal immigrants with their parents too

Americans really don’t want the voting age lowered to 17, and they really, really don’t want it lowered to 16, a blow to a recent proposal by many Democrats.

A Hill-HarrisX poll released Thursday found a clear majority, 75%, of registered voters were against lowering the voting age to 17, and a whopping 84% opposed lowering it to 16. As The Hill reported, “Every age group in the poll was against lowering the voting age to 16 or 17, though younger respondents were more supportive than older participants.”

That’s… not good for Democrats who have been (https://www.dailywire.com/news/44345/grabbing-more-votes-far-left-dem-congresswoman-hank-berrien) recently calling for (https://insider.foxnews.com/2019/03/15/nancy-pelosi-supports-lowering-voting-age-16-fox-friends-guests-debate) the voting age to be lowered to 16.
Of the younger participants who were more open to the idea, 39% favored the idea of lowering the voting age to 17 and 27% favored lowering it to 16. This “younger” group included respondents who were between the ages of 18 and 34. Conversely, older Americans were even less favorable to the idea than the average. Just 13% of respondents aged 65 and older were open to the voting age being lowered to 17 and a miniscule 5% supported lowering it to 16.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/46782/poll-americans-do-not-want-voting-age-lowered-16-ashe-schow
It's tough to take this seriously since it's an opinion piece from a partisan publication (Dailywire). IMO it borders on being fake news.

Don29palms
05-04-2019, 01:21 PM
It's tough to take this seriously since it's an opinion piece from a partisan publication (Dailywire). IMO it borders on being fake news.

Do you want the legal age of an adult to be 16yo? That would mean that a 16yo should have all the RIGHTS and RESPONSIBILITIES of an adult. The fact that 18yo are already having their rights infringed upon as adults is wrong to begin with. Giving adults back their rights would be a better place to start.

Common
05-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Ok then could you produce a legitimate source that says americans do want 16 yr olds to vote :)

I think you missed that it wasnt a daily wire poll, it was a legitimate A Hill-HarrisX pol, whos polls are listed in Real Clear Politics, they are a mainstream pollster

Look down the list and you will see Hill/harris game

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html

gamewell45
05-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Ok then could you produce a legitimate source that says americans do want 16 yr olds to vote :)

I think you missed that it wasnt a daily wire poll, it was a legitimate A Hill-HarrisX pol, whos polls are listed in Real Clear Politics, they are a mainstream pollster

Look down the list and you will see Hill/harris game

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/other/president_trump_job_approval-6179.html
I knew it was a Hill/Harris poll; but they didn't provide sampling rates (at least what I could tell from the article) so who know's who they talked to when doing the poll.

I cannot provide any sources or polls of Americans supporting voting age being changed to 16, but then again I'm not advocating the change either. What I'm looking for is a neutral non-partisan source as opposed to a partisan source giving their opinion/spin on the topic. What want is the truth and nothing more; I don't think that's being unreasonable.

Don29palms
05-04-2019, 03:06 PM
I knew it was a Hill/Harris poll; but they didn't provide sampling rates (at least what I could tell from the article) so who know's who they talked to when doing the poll.

I cannot provide any sources or polls of Americans supporting voting age being changed to 16, but then again I'm not advocating the change either. What I'm looking for is a neutral non-partisan source as opposed to a partisan source giving their opinion/spin on the topic. What want is the truth and nothing more; I don't think that's being unreasonable.

There is no such thing as a non partisan truthful poll anywhere anymore and everyone should know that by now.

The Xl
05-04-2019, 03:56 PM
The age for everything should be what the legal adult age is. Since it's 18, voting should be 18, as should drinking, etc. If the age of adulthood was moved to 16, then it should be 16. If it was moved to 21, then it should be 21.

Captdon
05-04-2019, 08:21 PM

Pelosi.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/434115-pelosi-says-she-backs-lowering-voting-age-to-16

testsubjectalpha
05-04-2019, 08:29 PM
It's an interesting question. I would say whatever the age is for having to apply for the selective service is the right age, gender neutral in this day and age. 18 seems to be about right to me. That's the age when you can be tried as an adult. It's the age you can enter into contracts. It's the date when you can declare you are emancipated from your parents. 18 seems about right to me.

16?, why not 12?

gamewell45
05-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Pelosi.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/434115-pelosi-says-she-backs-lowering-voting-age-to-16

Well, I must say that the link you provided links to one of the most balanced media sites that I've seen in a long time. I should have known that if anyone could have found a site like this it would be you. Thanks for providing the link.

testsubjectalpha
05-04-2019, 09:09 PM
45...I myself have always been for lowering the voting age to 4. I think it's really important for public school teachers to promote McDonalds and capture kids minds when they are 4 years old and make them want happy meals. When they are interested in getting a free toys, they will throw temper tantrums to their parent to buy them a happy meal and so they get that free toy.

Student who borrowed $50K to go to college and now don't want to pay back the loan, it's not your fault, the Gov't was just buying you a happy meal.
ll45;2594936]Well, I must say that the link you provided links to one of the most balanced media sites that I've seen in a long time. I should have known that if anyone could have found a site like this it would be you. Thanks for providing the link.[/QUOTE]

Adelaide
05-04-2019, 09:40 PM
I want the voting age raised to 26 to match the age one can no longer be carried on a parent's health insurance policy.

If that's the case, I want an age maximum for the old people reliant on their children for care/money. Probably senile anyway. Probably think Pat Sajak is the nightly news.

At any rate, the voting age should be 18.

testsubjectalpha
05-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Adel, so very astute of you. What does it mean when your bio on left says tPF Moderator, if I may ask?

testsubjectalpha
05-04-2019, 10:44 PM
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=members+of+congress+photos&id=F806A1D9F81EA0A2FE23AF1E67927203B7E7349B&FORM=IQFRBA

pictures of the current Congress in Washington DC taxing and spending $4Trillion/year of your money. And after 80 years the public school system still sucks.

Luther
05-05-2019, 07:09 AM
How many of these "Democrats" have been asking for this?

Me thinks this is nothing more than a distraction

donttread
05-05-2019, 07:13 AM

Eighteen is fine.

Peter1469
05-05-2019, 08:42 AM
How many of these "Democrats" have been asking for this?

Me thinks this is nothing more than a distraction

The Speaker of the House is a distraction?

Ransom
05-05-2019, 02:31 PM
I vote 21 to vote. 18 if you're active service. Driving move to 17 and maintain 2.0 gpa.

gamewell45
05-05-2019, 06:07 PM
45...I myself have always been for lowering the voting age to 4. I think it's really important for public school teachers to promote McDonalds and capture kids minds when they are 4 years old and make them want happy meals. When they are interested in getting a free toys, they will throw temper tantrums to their parent to buy them a happy meal and so they get that free toy.

Student who borrowed $50K to go to college and now don't want to pay back the loan, it's not your fault, the Gov't was just buying you a happy meal.
ll45;2594936]Well, I must say that the link you provided links to one of the most balanced media sites that I've seen in a long time. I should have known that if anyone could have found a site like this it would be you. Thanks for providing the link.[/QUOTE]

Tell me, why McDonalds and not Burger King? their burgers are a higher grade then McDonalds and are grilled as opposed to the greasy alternative at McDonalds.

Dr. Who
05-05-2019, 06:50 PM
The age for everything should be what the legal adult age is. Since it's 18, voting should be 18, as should drinking, etc. If the age of adulthood was moved to 16, then it should be 16. If it was moved to 21, then it should be 21.
It is hypocritical. However if they changed the age of majority to 21, few would enlist in the military and government would have to continue caring for foster kids until age 21.

Common
05-05-2019, 10:25 PM
It is hypocritical. However if they changed the age of majority to 21, few would enlist in the military and government would have to continue caring for foster kids until age 21.

They should bring back the draft anyway so everyone gets to serve their country not just havenots

Luther
05-06-2019, 04:44 AM
The Speaker of the House is a distraction?

Okay, we have 1

Keep it going!(LOL)

Tahuyaman
05-06-2019, 05:26 PM
Actually that's a good idea.

testsubjectalpha
05-06-2019, 05:35 PM
Dr, I get the point of the younger generation becoming more and more so snowflakes. I'm not hung up on what the right age is to vote. My stance is that if you are too young to die for country in war, then you are too young to vote. And visa versa. Plus, at age 18 you can legally enter into contracts without the consent or cosigning of a guardian or parent. I think 18 is just fine.

Peter1469
05-06-2019, 08:14 PM
Actually that's a good idea.
A better way to put it: if you are a dependent on another's federal income taxes you are not an eligible voter.

Tahuyaman
05-06-2019, 08:21 PM
A better way to put it: if you are a dependent on another's federal income taxes you are not an eligible voter.
That works.

Sergeant Gleed
05-06-2019, 11:17 PM
When the Rodents discover they can't win elections with 16 year olds voting, they'll demand the age be lowered to 9.

Sergeant Gleed
05-06-2019, 11:18 PM
They should bring back the draft anyway so everyone gets to serve their country not just havenots

Wrong.

Unless we need a large number of bodies to absorb neutrons and gamma radiation, the navy has no need of draftees.