PDA

View Full Version : Tarantino, Hollywood and Political Correctness.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 07:26 PM
Lately we’ve been seeing a lot of controversy in Hollywood. From Tarantino using the “n” word in his movies to the role of female “ownership” in movies to the backlash experienced if for example a historical homosexual character happens to be played by a heterosexual actor.

Personally I have a couple of points to make which then can be debated (given this isn’t a NEWS website rather a place for discourse).

Firstly what is an actor? By definition an actor is someone who plays the part of another.

Secondly. Does that actor need to identify with the character their playing? My answer and the answer of any rational individual is no. Need examples? Should a mass murderer be casted in the role of a mass murderer?

Thirdly. Are homosexual and or transgendered individuals being cast aside I lieu of these roles? My answer? Probably if they aren’t either good enough actors or they weren’t what the casting crew, writers or directors had in mind.

This movement to cast homosexuals in those roles. Or transsexuals in those roles. Is supremely ridiculous and reeks of a a double standard. What double standard you might ask?

How many historically white characters in movies were casted by black actors? How many historically male characters were cast as females? Or for that matter recasted as homosexuals?

The argument is transparent and without merit and needs to be called out.

donttread
05-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Lately we’ve been seeing a lot of controversy in Hollywood. From Tarantino using the “n” word in his movies to the role of female “ownership” in movies to the backlash experienced if for example a historical homosexual character happens to be played by a heterosexual actor.

Personally I have a couple of points to make which then can be debated (given this isn’t a NEWS website rather a place for discourse).

Firstly what is an actor? By definition an actor is someone who plays the part of another.

Secondly. Does that actor need to identify with the character their playing? My answer and the answer of any rational individual is no. Need examples? Should a mass murderer be casted in the role of a mass murderer?

Thirdly. Are homosexual and or transgendered individuals being cast aside I lieu of these roles? My answer? Probably if they aren’t either good enough actors or they weren’t what the casting crew, writers or directors had in mind.

This movement to cast homosexuals in those roles. Or transsexuals in those roles. Is supremely ridiculous and reeks of a a double standard. What double standard you might ask?

How many historically white characters in movies were casted by black actors? How many historically male characters were cast as females? Or for that matter recasted as homosexuals?

Hollywood falls over itself to give the impression that they care. But in reality they are just super rich brats who talk liberal and hire a penny pinching CPA in April.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 07:47 PM
Hollywood falls over itself to give the impression that they care. But in reality they are just super rich brats who talk liberal and hire a penny pinching CPA in April.
Always have been. Always will be. The difference is the audience and what they demand. Hollywood isn’t stupid. They will tow the line between placating their audience and the ROI that can be expected.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately the PC crowd doesn’t have the talent necessary to fulfill the needs of Hollywood. Those needs include homosexuals and transsexuals and well...there just isn’t enough of those actors that are either talented enough nor will draw the crowds they need to get the ROI needed. So they will be ambiguous and write stories where the characters could be either while still casting big names.
I mean just take a look at any post of a movie by @IMPress Polly (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=399). You’ll see what I mean.

IMPress Polly
05-11-2019, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately the PC crowd doesn’t have the talent necessary to fulfill the needs of Hollywood. Those needs include homosexuals and transsexuals and well...there just isn’t enough of those actors that are either talented enough nor will draw the crowds they need to get the ROI needed. So they will be ambiguous and write stories where the characters could be either while still casting big names.
I mean just take a look at any post of a movie by @IMPress Polly (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=399). You’ll see what I mean.

Stop trolling me in your lame-ass, dipshit, paranoid, anti-SJW lunatic threads.

Seriously, why does there always have to be some fucktard (always a guy) who is completely obsessed with me at any given time on this message board?

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 08:39 PM
Stop trolling me in your lame-ass, dip$#@!, paranoid, anti-SJW lunatic threads.

Seriously, why does there always have to be some $#@!tard (always a guy) who is completely obsessed with me at any given time on this message board?

Good evening , Polly. My compliment was for you , not Private Pickled. You have an exceptional manner of presentation.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 08:39 PM

Seriously, why does there always have to be some fucktard (always a guy) who is completely obsessed with me at any given time on this message board?

LOL. Well as you said it I’m anti-SJW and I don’t think Hollywood should kowtow to their demands.

I knew I’d get this response from you and wanted to show it to the forum.

Thank you. You were right on time.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Good evening , Polly. My compliment was for you , not Private Pickled. You have an exceptional manner of presentation.
But you removed your post. LOL. Stop pandering.

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Fo shizzle, dwizzel? I never knew you were a talent scout type. Please be kind and not be a hostile agigitator. Ok ? Not telling , asking. If Polly gets mad she might say things you will regret.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 08:46 PM
Fo shizzle, dwizzel? I never knew you were a talent scout type. Please be kind and not be a hostile agigitator. Ok ? Not telling , asking. If Polly gets mad she might say things you will regret.

Haha you removed your original post. But for “shizzle” bro I’ll totally take into consideration your thoughts. Polly responded exactly as I thought she would.

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 08:46 PM
But you removed your post. LOL. Stop pandering.
Yes I did. My intent was to comment to Polly , not you. Unless you are choosing to identify as a girl on this humid evening. I am not "pandering" , Jr. She is correct about your trolling . You are not a very nice person. You have been a bich to me recently as well. One more thing. Eat my ass .

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 08:50 PM
Yes I did. My intent was to comment to Polly , not you. Unless you are choosing to identify as a girl on this humid evening. I am not "pandering" , Jr. She is correct about your trolling . You are not a very nice person. You have been a bich to me recently as well. One more thing. Eat my ass .
Hahaha. So. Go ahead and be honest with what your post was. Are you saying identifying as a girl is insult worthy? And your use of the word “bich” {sic}. Isn’t that a tad sexist?

Keep digging bro.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 08:55 PM
This thread couldn’t have turned out more perfectly.

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 08:56 PM
Haha you removed your original post. But for “shizzle” bro I’ll totally take into consideration your thoughts. Polly responded exactly as I thought she would.

I read more previous posts of people I do not agree with than those I do. Why study the thought process, mannerisms, triggers , try to determine if someone appears indoctrinated or original with my own homies, homie? I like knowing if I should work the flank , front or simply observe. Its a challenge . You are a minority in most references to conservatives as many are Set B subset 1. For reasons I have been attempting to determine Set Sub1 is the majority here. I have an idea but not to share. I am not gloating, I really am awesome

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 08:58 PM
I read more previous posts of people I do not agree with than those I do. Why study the thought process, mannerisms, triggers , try to determine if someone appears indoctrinated or original with my own homies, homie? I like knowing if I should work the flank , front or simply observe. Its a challenge . You are a minority in most references to conservatives as many are Set B subset 1. For reasons I have been attempting to determine Set Sub1 is the majority here. I have an idea but not to share. I am not gloating, I really am awesome

Meanwhile in crazy town.

You've still yet to respond to anything resembling a coherent thought to the OP

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:00 PM

Lol. Not even 1 on a 10 scale. I used to deal with a odd relationship with an ex military female. I actually thought might challenge Cotton. But nope. Odds are she couldve simply been a simpleton.

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:03 PM
Meanwhile in crazy town.

Your velocity changed. Cotton says " yay Cotton". You are so out of your league its not a learning tool.for anyone. Its a disgrace. As for " crazy"? You aint seen "crazy", yet. Ciao

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:04 PM
Lol. Not even 1 on a 10 scale. I used to deal with a odd relationship with an ex military female. I actually thought might challenge Cotton. But nope. Odds are she couldve simply been a simpleton.

Again there is nothing here that resembles a retort to the OP. Instead in pure Cotton fashion you resort to a story about your past. A logical fallacy by the way. I’m familiar with narcissism. You’re the textbook definition.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:06 PM
Your velocity changed. Cotton says " yay Cotton". You are so out of your league its not a learning tool.for anyone. Its a disgrace. As for " crazy"? You aint seen "crazy", yet. Ciao
I haven’t? Please tell the rest of us what “crazy” looks like. Can’t wait!

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:08 PM
Meanwhile in crazy town.

I would like to think you attempting to draw the " back on topic Cotton" topic calvary or maybe but you could be trying to change the pace to elbow for control. Interestingly enough, I had duly noted my observance of your change in velocity. Yawn

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:11 PM
I would like to think you attempting to draw the " back on topic Cotton" topic calvary or maybe but you could be trying to change the pace to elbow for control. Interestingly enough, I had duly noted my observance of your change in velocity. Yawn
Actually I’m trying to bring the topic back to the OP. Not someone who refers to himself in the third person. Which is just weird.

No no idea what you’re talking about with regards to velocity. Nor does it really matter because by the way it has nothing to do with the OP.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:13 PM

Anyway I think Polly is a good example of who Hollywood is thinking about when they are trying to pander to an audience who doesn’t want to be offended yet still wants to watch a good movie with good actors.

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:18 PM

Awww that's almost cute. Why on earth would you think you can suggest anything to me and I would do it. Authority is a bit restraining to processes that limit so I leave it to ... Guess? A wanna be Authority person (as you) is pathetic . I have made a thread about ways to determine the level of play one is accostomed to by their. ..do your own homework . It is jumping off the page you are used to tactics that have served you well in the past. Unless one is staging for reason of survey (you arent that tactical) it suggests you have been dealing with 10- 14 year olds. I hope you have no spawn because why bother, unless they are...guess again. Rock me Amadeus +1 cotton

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Anyway I think Polly is a good example of who Hollywood is thinking about when they are trying to pander to an audience who doesn’t want to be offended yet still wants to watch a good movie with good actors.

Diversion fail. Its not about Polly. Its about...dang ..guess again ;) . peace to da brothas, brotha

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:22 PM
Awww that's almost cute. Why on earth would you think you can suggest anything to me and I would do it. Authority is a bit restraining to processes that limit so I leave it to ... Guess? A wanna be Authority person (as you) is pathetic . I have made a thread about ways to determine the level of play one is accostomed to by their. ..do your own homework . It is jumping off the page you are used to tactics that have served you well in the past. Unless one is staging for reason of survey (you arent that tactical) it suggests you have been dealing with 10- 14 year olds. I hope you have no spawn because why bother, unless they are...guess again. Rock me Amadeus +1 cotton
Because you have no problem doing it. The rest of your post is rambling and incoherent.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Diversion fail. Its not about Polly. Its about...dang ..guess again ;) . peace to da brothas, brotha
I think you’re under the influence of something. Come back when you’re not.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:24 PM
Try to stay focused on the OP.

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:26 PM
Actually I’m trying to bring the topic back to the OP. Not someone who refers to himself in the third person. Which is just weird.

No no idea what you’re talking about with regards to velocity. Nor does it really matter because by the way it has nothing to do with the OP.

Why would anyone but a total halfwit think you are anywhere near my ability to do things I have yet had a reason to? Only a fool plays a strength until its time to either toss the captain overboard , go down with the ship or take your shoe off his clinging hands and make a swim for shore .

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Why would anyone but a total halfwit think you are anywhere near my ability to do things I have yet had a reason to? Only a fool plays a strength until its time to either toss the captain overboard , go down with the ship or make a swim for shore .

Well for one thing you haven’t addressed the OP. That’s kinda a red flag.

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Profound revelation alert.

Its not how you play the game. Its whether you win or lose. ~cottonism~

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:29 PM
Well for one thing you haven’t addressed the OP. That’s kinda a red flag.

Jesus H Cotton ! You still on that? Grow up

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Jesus H Cotton ! You still on that? Grow up
Umm..still on the topic? Yeah. Do you even remember what the topic is? Hint: It’s not me.

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:39 PM
I think you’re under the influence of something. Come back when you’re not.

Parrot crossing! Squawk! Retarded Parrot escapes .i thought you had enough wookie in your crotch nookie to at least appear to.have a pulse. Cotton sighs. Pickles nookie is on the mat , gasping . Mr Naughty says "yee ha Mr Cottons private part" As for Jesus? Lemme guess...still weeping.?

Try to stay focused on the OP. its getting funny now . how about shoving a can of OP up your flabby crack...

Cotton1
05-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Cotton takes a mercy recess. Be back when ...lemme guess, you want me to guess ..

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 09:53 PM
Parrot crossing! Squawk! Retarded Parrot escapes .i thought you had enough wookie in your crotch nookie to at least appear to.have a pulse. Cotton sighs. Pickles nookie is on the mat , gasping . Mr Naughty says "yee ha Mr Cottons private part" As for Jesus? Lemme guess...still weeping.?
its getting funny now . how about shoving a can of OP up your flabby crack...

I honestly just want to get back on topic. You’re rambling and I think you’re under the influence. Go sleep it off unless you have a comment on Hollywood and that environment.

gamewell45
05-11-2019, 09:55 PM
Stay on topic and knock off the trolling/insults or moderation will be stepped up

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 10:00 PM

So outside of being victimized by men again did you have any insight to the OP. If a character who is homosexual must be played by a homosexual then should a character who is homicidal must be played by a murderer?

Are you upset with Tarantino’s latest film? Margot Robbie is playing Sharon Tate yet Robbie hasn’t been murdered nor was she the wife of a known rapist. Is that OK?

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 11:08 PM
36 replies. None of which actually address the OP. Sad.

Private Pickle
05-11-2019, 11:09 PM
The reason? There is no reasonable reply.

zachroidott
05-12-2019, 12:07 AM
I’ve read your OP. It’s obvious. Feel better?

Dr. Who
05-12-2019, 01:00 AM
The reason? There is no reasonable reply.

Hollywood is indeed an industry and must appeal to its audience in order to continue making money. That audience's expectations have changed over time, so minority ethnicities are no longer portrayed by "white" actors in makeup and costume, but by actors who are members of ethnic minorities. LGBT characters were never really represented in the past. They are represented now, but good LGBT actors like any other good actors are capable of portraying any characters. Their personal sexuality is not relevant. Just their acting skills. People expect that LGBT roles will be reflected in a certain percentage of movies or television because they are no longer a closeted segment of the population. Similarly movies need to reflect the fact that society isn't just "caucasians" so those lead roles can't always go to white actors.

There is an assumption that Hollywood has an agenda. Its agenda is to make money, so it is for the most part reactive rather than proactive.

Cotton1
05-12-2019, 02:51 AM
Again there is nothing here that resembles a retort to the OP. Instead in pure Cotton fashion you resort to a story about your past. A logical fallacy by the way. I’m familiar with narcissism. You’re the textbook definition.

Pickle. I notice a lot but I had never noticed just what a nasty disposition you have. Honestly I understand it . I believe you may understand just how quickly I distance from a certain type of person. I am torn because I do not want to appear as a snob to anyone but you at this point. What I am trying to understand is why someone didnt pick up on it when you were in adolescence. I am disgusted by your aura, disdain is felt because you have a very rough edged manner about you. A few days ago something flew right past you and it stood in contrast to my previous observation but you have given me more than enough here, lol. Some people do not hate, they just do not understand how to love. I have the ability but calloused the emotion. I think I simply overestimated you initially. I am taken aback by your lack intelligence, poor manners, parroting of cliches that are still idiotic , lack of situational awareness in more than just this application , presumptuous nature that is a bit desperate in its need of belief, by you and who cares. ? I am sorry you were stunted developmentally at an age where most of the aforementioned is developed by age 16. I do hope it was because it was not a known element to them . If I decide they didnt care I will tend to sympathize with you. Generally I sympathize. However, you are a truly abhorrant person so I won't. I am sorry I am simply a product of a better set of components than you. I do not mean that ugly. Neither of us control that part. I would like to gloat but the advantage I have been gifted with makes this feel weird. I wish there was more you could do but in this moment the " Art of War" comes to mind. " all battles are lost or won before they are fought' .

MMC
05-12-2019, 08:16 AM

http://d39ya49a1fwv14.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ving-rhames.jpg
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af33/globalmedia23/Wesley-snipes.jpg

Ving Rhames and Wesley Snipes in Wong Foo? :director:

Mini Me
05-12-2019, 08:40 AM

There are a lot of ASSHOLES on this board! Simple answer.

donttread
05-12-2019, 09:50 AM

Wow you must set a really low bar.

IMPress Polly
05-12-2019, 10:28 AM

I thought so too. :grin:

Private Pickle
05-12-2019, 11:27 AM
Hollywood is indeed an industry and must appeal to its audience in order to continue making money. That audience's expectations have changed over time, so minority ethnicities are no longer portrayed by "white" actors in makeup and costume, but by actors who are members of ethnic minorities. LGBT characters were never really represented in the past. They are represented now, but good LGBT actors like any other good actors are capable of portraying any characters. Their personal sexuality is not relevant. Just their acting skills. People expect that LGBT roles will be reflected in a certain percentage of movies or television because they are no longer a closeted segment of the population. Similarly movies need to reflect the fact that society isn't just "caucasians" so those lead roles can't always go to white actors.

There is an assumption that Hollywood has an agenda. Its agenda is to make money, so it is for the most part reactive rather than proactive.
What is the “past” to you? 10, 20, 30 years?

Private Pickle
05-12-2019, 11:30 AM
Pickle. I notice a lot but I had never noticed just what a nasty disposition you have. Honestly I understand it . I believe you may understand just how quickly I distance from a certain type of person. I am torn because I do not want to appear as a snob to anyone but you at this point. What I am trying to understand is why someone didnt pick up on it when you were in adolescence. I am disgusted by your aura, disdain is felt because you have a very rough edged manner about you. A few days ago something flew right past you and it stood in contrast to my previous observation but you have given me more than enough here, lol. Some people do not hate, they just do not understand how to love. I have the ability but calloused the emotion. I think I simply overestimated you initially. I am taken aback by your lack intelligence, poor manners, parroting of cliches that are still idiotic , lack of situational awareness in more than just this application , presumptuous nature that is a bit desperate in its need of belief, by you and who cares. ? I am sorry you were stunted developmentally at an age where most of the aforementioned is developed by age 16. I do hope it was because it was not a known element to them . If I decide they didnt care I will tend to sympathize with you. Generally I sympathize. However, you are a truly abhorrant person so I won't. I am sorry I am simply a product of a better set of components than you. I do not mean that ugly. Neither of us control that part. I would like to gloat but the advantage I have been gifted with makes this feel weird. I wish there was more you could do but in this moment the " Art of War" comes to mind. " all battles are lost or won before they are fought' .
Again I really don’t care what you think unless you have something to say about the OP.

Dr. Who
05-12-2019, 11:50 AM
What is the “past” to you? 10, 20, 30 years?
The entire history of Hollywood. I watch TCM.

Cotton1
05-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Wow you must set a really low bar. at some point that 6 inch vertical leap was bound to come into its own! :)

I thought so too. :grin: being great always rears its modest head sooner or later doesnt it!

I get Terrific Cotton Movies too!

Cotton1
05-12-2019, 02:04 PM
Again I really don’t care what you think unless you have something to say about the OP.

Ok I'll take the bait of the OP question of the day . to be sure there is no misunderstanding would you please add clarification as to what the mysterious "N" word is you alluded to? Lemme guess first.
Noggin?
Noble?
Nike?
Don k-Notts (the head k- Nott)
Nissan?

Ok I give :(

Private Pickle
05-13-2019, 06:02 PM
I’m not talking about white actors playing black characters. I’m talking about black actors playing white characters.

Private Pickle
05-13-2019, 06:04 PM
Ok I'll take the bait of the OP question of the day . to be sure there is no misunderstanding would you please add clarification as to what the mysterious "N" word is you alluded to? Lemme guess first.
Noggin?
Noble?
Nike?
Don k-Notts (the head k- Nott)
Nissan?

Ok I give :(
You know man you and I are just like vinegar and water. Best we just go our separate ways. I mean why would you want to engage with an “abhorrent” person anyway? I’ll stay out of your way and you stay out of mine. Fair fair. I wish you the best of luck.

Private Pickle
05-13-2019, 06:11 PM
Do you have anything to say about the OP? I was seriously interested in hearing your opinion given the OP is in direct contrast with your general standpoint.

Dr. Who
05-13-2019, 06:18 PM
I’m not talking about white actors playing black characters. I’m talking about black actors playing white characters.
If the story line doesn't revolve around the ethnicity (or gender) of the character, then why does it matter? Most characters were written as white (or male), just because the writers didn't contemplate any other possibilities in the past unless they were writing an "ethnic" or gender specific character role.

However, if you want to remake all the blacksploitation movies with white guys, have at it.

Private Pickle
05-13-2019, 06:21 PM
If the story line doesn't revolve around the ethnicity (or gender) of the character, then why does it matter? Most characters were written as white (or male), just because the writers didn't contemplate any other possibilities in the past unless they were writing an "ethnic" or gender specific character role.

However, if you want to remake all the blacksploitation movies with white guys, have at it.

Hmmm interesting point. So say a book was written that had described a character as black but his race wasn’t central to the story line it would be OK if it was played by a white actor?

We still aren’t talking about the OP yet BTW.

Do you think it would have been OK for Tarantino to cast Jackie Brown with all white people?

MisterVeritis
05-13-2019, 07:03 PM
I was impressed by producer, Jussie Smollett, who cast black actors in traditionally white roles.

Dr. Who
05-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Hmmm interesting point. So say a book was written that had described a character as black but his race wasn’t central to the story line it would be OK if it was played by a white actor?
Sure, why not? Why not remake "Guess whose coming to dinner" with Michael B. Jordan playing Joanna Drayton's role, Denzel Washington and Viola Davis playing the Spencer Tracy and Kate Hepburn roles, Jake Gyllenhaal playing Sidney Poitier's role and Ed Harris and Sissy Spacek playing his parents.

We still aren’t talking about the OP yet BTW.
No?

Do you think it would have been OK for Tarantino to cast Jackie Brown with all white people?
Again, yes it could be made. I'm not sure that it would have the same effect, since it was an homage to blackploitation films.

Private Pickle
05-13-2019, 07:26 PM
I was impressed by producer, Jussie Smollett, who cast black actors in traditionally white roles.
Sigh.

Cotton1
05-13-2019, 07:27 PM
Sure, why not? Why not remake "Guess whose coming to dinner" with Michael B. Jordan playing Joanna Drayton's role, Denzel Washington and Viola Davis playing the Spencer Tracy and Kate Hepburn roles, Jake Gyllenhaal playing Sidney Poitier's role and Ed Harris and Sissy Spacek playing his parents..
I think thats carrying things a bit too far. Have blacks not been elevated enough in this country already ?

Dr. Who
05-13-2019, 07:33 PM
I think thats carrying things a bit too far. Have blacks not been elevated enough in this country already ?

If you ever saw "Guess who's coming to dinner" there were an equal number of blacks and whites in the original movie. This is just switching the roles and making the issues homosexuality as well as race. I'm pretty sure all the actors I mentioned are straight. I don't know what you mean by suggesting that blacks have been elevated enough already. Perhaps you can explain.

Cotton1
05-13-2019, 07:50 PM
I don't know what you mean by suggesting that blacks have been elevated enough already. Perhaps you can explain.
#1. Thank you for proving my point. #2. "Perhaps you can explain"..bingo! The water carriers for blacks and other minorities have became so caught up in worship of them that you think I should somehow be hesitant to "explain"? Bottom line is the portrayals as blacks being elevated at the expense of whites is not realistic. You go ahead though. You and the other water carriers may see anyone but your own people as superior and thats your business. To be fair maybe you seeing minorites or others as your superior may have nothing to do with race. But thats your personal matter. Carry on

Dr. Who
05-13-2019, 08:02 PM
#1. Thank you for proving my point. #2. "Perhaps you can explain"..bingo! The water carriers for blacks and other minorities have became so caught up in worship of them that you think I should somehow be hesitant to "explain"? Bottom line is the portrayals as blacks being elevated at the expense of whites is not realistic. You go ahead though. You and the other water carriers may see anyone but your own people as superior and thats your business. To be fair maybe you seeing minorites or others as your superior may have nothing to do with race. But thats your personal matter. Carry on
I don't see either as superior or inferior. I'm just not made that way. As for movies, I like good acting and pigmentation doesn't reflect acting ability one way or another. Good acting is a pleasure to watch.

Private Pickle
05-13-2019, 08:06 PM
Sure, why not? Why not remake "Guess whose coming to dinner" with Michael B. Jordan playing Joanna Drayton's role, Denzel Washington and Viola Davis playing the Spencer Tracy and Kate Hepburn roles, Jake Gyllenhaal playing Sidney Poitier's role and Ed Harris and Sissy Spacek playing his parents.

Because it wasn’t the writers intention and doing the same in a reverse situation would be called racist.

No?
No. Read the OP. Do actors need to be their characters?

Again, yes it could be made. I'm not sure that it would have the same effect, since it was an homage to blackploitation films.
Not without screams of racism and inequality. Coming from the elite of Hollywood it’s truly hilarious.

Cotton1
05-13-2019, 08:28 PM
I don't see either as superior or inferior. I'm just not made that way. As for movies, I like good acting and pigmentation doesn't reflect acting ability one way or another. Good acting is a pleasure to watch.

To each their own. Your reply is the typical parroted liberal BS. I think the hilarity is that you do not see minorities carrying the water for you do you? I am sorry that you are afraid to be white and apparently do not feel you are above most whites either. Thats not a race thing you are dealing with. It may just be a self esteem issue at large. Either way enjoy being subservant to all minorities. If you leave any minority out then you are a racist.

Cotton1
05-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Anyway , don't forget that even though this is the part you are supposed to call me "racist" that I may have only 1 black friend and not only is he the only person I can trust but he finds it offensive fir whites to think he needs them to elevate him. The best part? I have zero problem with the jews but he cant stand them. Go figure. Lol

Dr. Who
05-13-2019, 08:53 PM
Because it wasn’t the writers intention and doing the same in a reverse situation would be called racist.
No it wouldn't. In the original movie both sets of parents had reservations/objections.

No. Read the OP. Do actors need to be their characters?
No. A good actor can play any role unless a specific ethnicity or gender is intrinsic to the character and plot. For example if you are playing a a historical figure, an ethnic character or where the story line includes gender elements like giving birth or how a specific gender deals with social expectations or sexual awareness.

Not without screams of racism and inequality. Coming from the elite of Hollywood it’s truly hilarious.
It would if it were a mockery, but the basic plot line of the movie could be played by anyone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Brown

Private Pickle
05-13-2019, 08:59 PM
No it wouldn't. In the original movie both sets of parents had reservations/objections.

No. A good actor can play any role unless a specific ethnicity or gender is intrinsic to the character and plot. For example if you are playing a a historical figure, an ethnic character or where the story line includes gender elements like giving birth or how a specific gender deals with social expectations or sexual awareness.

It would if it were a mockery, but the basic plot line of the movie could be played by anyone: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Brown

Simple question. Does a gay actor have to play a gay character?

Dr. Who
05-13-2019, 09:03 PM
To each their own. Your reply is the typical parroted liberal BS. I think the hilarity is that you do not see minorities carrying the water for you do you? I am sorry that you are afraid to be white and apparently do not feel you are above most whites either. Thats not a race thing you are dealing with. It may just be a self esteem issue at large. Either way enjoy being subservant to all minorities. If you leave any minority out then you are a racist.
I can't understand why I need to feel superior to other ethnic groups. I like who I like and don't like who I don't like. If people are nice, I like them, if they aren't I don't. If someone acts like an idiot, I don't care about their DNA or where they came from, they're an idiot.

Dr. Who
05-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Simple question. Does a gay actor have to play a gay character?

No. Nor does a straight actor have to play a straight character. For example, in Big Bang Theory the role of Sheldon Cooper is played by Jim Parsons who is gay in real life but straight in the show. In Modern Family, the role of Cameron Tucker a gay character in the show, is played by Eric Stonestreet, who is straight in real life.

Private Pickle
05-13-2019, 09:25 PM
No. Nor does a straight actor have to play a straight character. For example, in Big Bang Theory the role of Sheldon Cooper is played by Jim Parsons who is gay in real life but straight in the show. In Modern Family, the role of Cameron Tucker a gay character in the show, is played by Eric Stonestreet, who is straight in real life.
Bigot!

Dr. Who
05-13-2019, 09:33 PM
Bigot!
What a curious response.

Private Pickle
05-13-2019, 09:36 PM
What a curious response.

If you say so. Pretty common response these days.

Cotton1
05-13-2019, 09:51 PM
I can't understand why I need to feel superior to other ethnic groups. I like who I like and don't like who I don't like. If people are nice, I like them, if they aren't I don't. If someone acts like an idiot, I don't care about their DNA or where they came from, they're an idiot.

Its not about a "need" to feel superior to anyone. A person either is superior or they arent, regardless of race. I really am awesome, thats why I never stoop to such ghastly behavior as gloating :)

Cotton1
05-13-2019, 10:00 PM
If only Al Jolson was here. Then everyone would be at least a little happy. Mexican / Indian daughter to parents " hey mixed race parents. Guess who is coming to dinner? " it better not be that bisexual blackface wearing Al Jolson again little Missy Miscue. SOB stole all the shoe polish last time ".

DGUtley
05-14-2019, 04:03 AM

. NOTICE Cotton1 given a 24 hour suspension for insults, name-calling and bad faith posting.

Hal Jordan
05-14-2019, 07:24 AM
What a curious response.

Not anymore. Fairly recently, there was an uproar over Ruby Rose being cast as Batwoman. Why? Because she was seen as not gay enough for the role. All because she prefers to be identified as gender fluid.

MMC
05-14-2019, 07:48 AM
Not anymore. Fairly recently, there was an uproar over Ruby Rose being cast as Batwoman. Why? Because she was seen as not gay enough for the role. All because she prefers to be identified as gender fluid.

:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX57jqetDGA

Dr. Who
05-14-2019, 04:30 PM
People are just goofy. Besides, the ones roaring tend to be a tiny very vocal minority. Their strange concerns are not reflected at the box office.

Private Pickle
05-14-2019, 06:53 PM
Its not about a "need" to feel superior to anyone. A person either is superior or they arent, regardless of race. I really am awesome, thats why I never stoop to such ghastly behavior as gloating :)
But you were just gloating.

Private Pickle
05-14-2019, 06:55 PM

Or Scarlet Johansson (sp?) has to bow out of the movie about a transgendered woman because she isn’t a transgendered woman. But hey! So many great transgendered actresses out there to choose from.

My guess that movie won’t be made now.

SJWs should be proud of their accomplishments!

Private Pickle
05-14-2019, 08:05 PM
So no retort? No response? Just wanted to play the victim? Interesting. I expected more.