PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco is first US city to ban facial recognition

Just AnotherPerson
05-15-2019, 02:11 AM

See more at the link https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48276660

Excerpt:

Legislators in San Francisco have voted to ban the use of facial recognition, the first US city to do so.

The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement.

Additionally, any plans to buy any kind of new surveillance technology must now be approved by city administrators.

Opponents of the measure said it will put people’s safety at risk and hinder efforts to fight crime.

Those in favour of the move said the technology as it exists today is unreliable, and represented an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.

donttread
05-15-2019, 07:20 AM

Excerpt:

Legislators in San Francisco have voted to ban the use of facial recognition, the first US city to do so.

The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement.

Additionally, any plans to buy any kind of new surveillance technology must now be approved by city administrators.

Opponents of the measure said it will put people’s safety at risk and hinder efforts to fight crime.

Those in favour of the move said the technology as it exists today is unreliable, and represented an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.

A set back for big brother!

Collateral Damage
05-15-2019, 08:21 AM
Excerpt:

Good. Walking on a street should not invalidate the expectation of privacy in one's person.

I'm sure it will be a matter of time when certain authoritative groups feel audio recording the public will be an acceptable practice, right Siri?

Standing Wolf
05-15-2019, 10:26 AM
Good. Walking on a street should not invalidate the expectation of privacy in one's person....

How, exactly, does one go about walking on a public street while maintaining an expectation that - in this case - your face will not be seen or recorded by a camera?

We're talking about a person's face - not the contents of their pockets or the information stored on their cellphone.

I am as staunch an advocate as you will ever find when it comes to the protection of the individuals citizen's genuine Constitutional rights...but I must confess that this move puzzles me.

Collateral Damage
05-15-2019, 10:51 AM
How, exactly, does one go about walking on a public street while maintaining an expectation that - in this case - your face will not be seen or recorded by a camera?
We're talking about a person's face - not the contents of their pockets or the information stored on their cellphone.
I am as staunch an advocate as you will ever find when it comes to the protection of the individuals citizen's genuine Constitutional rights...but I must confess that this move puzzles me.

Being 'caught' while passing a business on a security camera is not my reference point. Having my face/person zoomed in on while in a public area, and the image stored for recognition purposes for future use, is.

Just AnotherPerson
05-15-2019, 02:13 PM
A set back for big brother!

LoL