PDA

View Full Version : Why A.I. Just Might Save Your Job

Chris
05-16-2019, 03:03 PM
Despite the liberal fears of AI, it might actually provide job security, more jobs and at worst job displacement. Condiser not fears but facts...

Why A.I. Just Might Save Your Job (http://fortune.com/2019/05/16/walmart-ai-jobs-robot-workers/)

...Widespread corporate investments in A.I. and automation have employees in many industries wondering, Will my job be the next to go? Here are two reasons that’s not likely.

First, jobs will not disappear; instead, they’ll evolve into more customer-focused positions. “Our associates immediately understood the opportunity for the new technology to free them up from focusing on tasks that are repeatable, predictable, and manual,” says Walmart’s senior vice president of central operations. “It allows them time to focus more on selling merchandise and serving customers, which they tell us have always been the most exciting parts of working in retail.”

A.I. technologies are already being used successfully in the sales world. The typical sales representative has classically spent much more time researching clients than actually closing deals. Now, A.I. is supporting representatives, helping them know where to focus their time to meet their quotas. Algorithms compile historical client information, along with social media posts and customer interaction history, to rank leads in the pipeline according to their chances of being closed successfully, and therefore help sales teams increase their revenue. The more deals sales reps close, the more secure their jobs become.

This leads us to the second reason not to panic over A.I.’s effect on the nature of work: A.I. and machine learning are good for the bottom line, and history shows that might improve job security in the workforce. Remember the first ATMs? Bank tellers everywhere prepared for the worst. But by minimizing operating costs, ATMs actually empowered banks to open more branches, which roughly doubled the employment of bank tellers from 300,000 to 600,000 between 1970 and 2010. Similarly, employees also feared a loss of jobs when computers became commonplace in the standard office environment. Now, most folks work hand-in-hand with digital technologies comfortably and productively.

...Perhaps the late Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen said it best: “The promise of artificial intelligence and computer science generally vastly outweighs the impact it could have on some jobs. In the same way that while the invention of the airplane negatively affected the railroad industry, it opened a much wider door to human progress.”

Perhaps what’s causing the most disruption within our society right now isn’t A.I., but our collective fear of the unknown?...

Peter1469
05-16-2019, 06:18 PM
Yes, the irrational fears about AI are just that, irrational.

With that said, today's kids/students can't slack off and chew on their text book covers. They need to apply themselves to become productive members of our economy.

Sergeant Gleed
05-16-2019, 06:23 PM
They will never invent the robot that can fix all the other robots without human supervision.

They will have one hell of a hard time inveting a robot thst can drive to your house, question your wife about the drains, fix the drain and leave. And how does the robot designer program in the obligatory butt crack scene?

Chris
05-16-2019, 07:53 PM
I think it was Oppenheimer who said the problem with AI and robots and such is they don't make mistakes (like some liberals think they don't), humans do, that's what's irreplaceable.