PDA

View Full Version : Top Democrat's wife may have gained 'illegal private benefit

Common
05-20-2019, 05:44 PM
Top Democrat's wife may have gained 'illegal private benefit' from his committee activities
A charity run by the wife of Rep. Elijah Cummings received millions from special interest groups and corporations that had business before her husband’s committee and could have been used illegally, according to an IRS complaint filed by an ethics watchdog group.

Cummings, 68, a Maryland Democrat, is chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. His wife, Maya Rockeymoore, 48, is the chairman of the Maryland Democratic Party and briefly ran in the state's gubernatorial race last year. The couple married in 2008. Cummings was once heavily in debt — in part due to hefty child support payments to his first wife and two other women he had children with — but his financial situation has improved considerably over the past decade.

Rockeymoore runs two entities, a nonprofit group called the Center for Global Policy Solutions and a for-profit consulting firm called Global Policy Solutions, LLC, whose operations appear to have overlapped, according to the IRS complaint filed by watchdog group the National Legal and Policy Center on Monday. The complaint states that the arrangement may have been used to derive "illegal private benefit."

Global Policy Solutions received more than $6.2 million in grants between 2013 and 2016, according to tax records. Several of the nonprofit group’s financial backers — which included Google, J.P Morgan and Prudential — have business interests before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Cummings has served as Democratic chairman of the committee since January and previously served as ranking member.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/top-democrat-elijah-cummings-wife-may-have-gained-illegal-private-benefit-from-his-committee-activities

Safety
05-20-2019, 09:26 PM
Investigate it, and if found guilty, throw the book at them. There is only one person in government that is above the law...

Don29palms
05-20-2019, 09:31 PM
Investigate it, and if found guilty, throw the book at them. There is only one person in government that is above the law...

There is nobody in government that is above the law.

testsubjectalpha
05-20-2019, 10:15 PM
I didn't know Elijah was a cradle robber.

Top Democrat's wife may have gained 'illegal private benefit' from his committee activities

A charity run by the wife of Rep. Elijah Cummings received millions from special interest groups and corporations that had business before her husband’s committee and could have been used illegally, according to an IRS complaint filed by an ethics watchdog group.

Cummings, 68, a Maryland Democrat, is chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. His wife, Maya Rockeymoore, 48, is the chairman of the Maryland Democratic Party and briefly ran in the state's gubernatorial race last year. The couple married in 2008. Cummings was once heavily in debt — in part due to hefty child support payments to his first wife and two other women he had children with — but his financial situation has improved considerably over the past decade.

Rockeymoore runs two entities, a nonprofit group called the Center for Global Policy Solutions and a for-profit consulting firm called Global Policy Solutions, LLC, whose operations appear to have overlapped, according to the IRS complaint filed by watchdog group the National Legal and Policy Center on Monday. The complaint states that the arrangement may have been used to derive "illegal private benefit."

Global Policy Solutions received more than $6.2 million in grants between 2013 and 2016, according to tax records. Several of the nonprofit group’s financial backers — which included Google, J.P Morgan and Prudential — have business interests before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. Cummings has served as Democratic chairman of the committee since January and previously served as ranking member.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/top-democrat-elijah-cummings-wife-may-have-gained-illegal-private-benefit-from-his-committee-activities

Dr. Who
05-20-2019, 11:50 PM

I thought conflict of interest no longer mattered. I mean if it doesn't matter in the highest office, why should it matter among the elected representatives? Let them all do as they please. America could become like Italy or Mexico. The example is always set at the top.

Safety
05-21-2019, 05:37 AM
I thought conflict of interest no longer mattered. I mean if it doesn't matter in the highest office, why should it matter among the elected representatives? Let them all do as they please. America could become like Italy or Mexico. The example is always set at the top.

It's like being focused on the two bit drug dealer on the corner, but not caring about the Cartel's boss that sits in his office above the corner.

donttread
05-21-2019, 06:11 AM

I am not racist. But I do strongly believe in percentages. The minute I read that he was paying child support to three women, two of which he never married: I knew he was black. The other option was that he lived in a trailer park and those guys don't wind up in public office. They tend to stop at 2-3 baby mammas anyway. However, the most ridiculous stories come from black professional athletes. I think there is one with 11 kids from TEN baby mammas.

Safety
05-21-2019, 07:47 AM
Wut?

MMC
05-21-2019, 10:06 AM

True.....but Hillary isn't in government anymore.

MMC
05-21-2019, 10:09 AM

So you were saying this back when Kennedy was in Office Right? LOL

MMC
05-21-2019, 10:11 AM

So say the IRS, huh? Did Trump clean up any of that dept? If not.....expect the Demo to get a pass.

alexa
05-21-2019, 10:12 AM

:rofl:

Good one

Don29palms
05-21-2019, 10:57 AM
True.....but Hillary isn't in government anymore.

Agreed but there's a difference between being above the law and being protected.

MMC
05-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Agreed but there's a difference between being above the law and being protected.

Intent.....Right? :grin:

Tahuyaman
05-21-2019, 12:22 PM
I can think of a woman who's no longer in government and is obviously above the law.

Still, liberals will still say that Elijah Cummings has the credibility to rail about the perceived corruption of his political opponents.

Dr. Who
05-21-2019, 05:03 PM
So you were saying this back when Kennedy was in Office Right? LOL
I was in the third grade when he was assassinated and I skipped a grade. What do you think?

MMC
05-23-2019, 07:03 AM
I was in the third grade when he was assassinated and I skipped a grade. What do you think?

That they still have history books. :wink:

MMC
05-23-2019, 07:07 AM
BTW, Cummings is denying any tax violation.

Rep. Elijah Cummings denies that wife's charity poses conflict of interest, tax violation (https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/rep-elijah-cummings-denies-that-wifes-charity-poses-conflict-of-interest-tax-violation)

Although, He didn't want to talk about any Campaign Violations.

countryboy
05-23-2019, 07:07 AM

True, but this thread is not about Hillary.

Safety
05-23-2019, 07:48 AM
True, but this thread is not about Hillary.

Right, this thread nor discussion has nothing to do with Clinton, so why bring her up?

Common
05-23-2019, 08:34 AM
DiBlasios wife is under investigaton for the same thing

countryboy
05-23-2019, 09:16 AM
Right, this thread nor discussion has nothing to do with Clinton, so why bring her up?

I didn't, you did.

Safety
05-23-2019, 09:44 AM
I didn't, you did.

So you are going to resort to lying? At least you stick with something you’re good at.

Dr. Who
05-23-2019, 04:13 PM
That they still have history books. :wink:
You asked whether I had an opinion when he was in office, not whether I currently have an opinion.

testsubjectalpha
05-23-2019, 04:26 PM
Comrade DeBlasio is a trip. He's got the homeless people collecting for him now.

DiBlasios wife is under investigaton for the same thing

DGUtley
05-25-2019, 07:44 AM
so you are going to resort to lying? At least you stick with something you’re good at.

notice - Safety tb'd for trolling and insults