PDA

View Full Version : Americans consistently raping at nearly one victim a minute

Carygrant
02-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Another clear sign that American violence has reached unbelievable levels are the rape statistics --- one reported every six and a half minutes and an estimated total perhaps five times as much . One of the sadder topics recently was where people here desperately tried to deny that violence is out of control in America and that the very national psyche is not exhibiting psychosis . Below is an extract from an article in Al Jazeera published today .It makes terrible reading and it is self evident that the country is in acute and full blown crisis . because though a rape isreported only every 6.2 minutes in this country, the estimated total is perhaps five times as high, which means that there may be very nearly a rape a minute in the US. It all adds up to tens of millions of rape victims. We could talk about high school- and college-athleterapes, or campus rapes, to which university authorities have been appallingly uninterested in responding in many cases, including that high school in Steubenville, Notre Dame University, Amherst College and many others. We could talk about the escalating pandemic of rape,sexual assault and sexual harassment in the US military, where Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta estimated that there were 19,000 sexual assaults on fellow soldiers in 2010 alone and that the great majority of assailants got away with it, though four-star general Jeffrey Sinclair was indicted in September for "a slew of sex crimes against women". Never mind workplace violence, let's go home. So many men murder their partners and former partners that we have well over 1,000 homicides of that kind a year - meaning that every three years the death toll tops 9/11's casualties, though no one declares a war on this particular terror (another way to put it: the more than 11,766 corpses from domestic-violence homicides since 9/11 exceed the number of deaths of victims on that day and all American soldiers killed in the "war on terror").

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2013/02/201327114230765738.html

Mister D
02-10-2013, 06:29 PM
Seems to be rubbing off on our vassals.

---

One incident of domestic is reported to the police every minute.

On average, 2 women a week are killed by a current or former male partner.

http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic_violence_topic.asp?section=00010001002200 36

Mister D
02-10-2013, 06:32 PM
The latest statistics from the British Crime (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/ukcrime) Survey show that every year in the UK more than 1 million women suffer domestic abuse, more than 300,000 are sexually assaulted and 60,000 are raped. But fewer than one in four people who suffer abuse by their partner and fewer than one in 10 women who experience serious sexual assault report it to the police.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jul/22/domestic-violence-conviction-rate-high

Mister D
02-10-2013, 06:33 PM
New report shows that the scale of the problem has grown by almost a quarter in 10 years Almost a million children in Britain are affected by domestic violence, either as victims or witnesses, a new study will reveal tomorrow. The number has increased more than 22 per cent over the past decade.
Some 52 per cent of parents with children under 18 experience frequent or serious conflict, according to YouGov in a poll for the charity 4Children. Of those relatives who have regular clashes, 8 per cent – or 600,000 – are so violent that physical injuries occur.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/domestic-violence-affects-one-million-children-in-the-uk-7584593.html

Adelaide
02-10-2013, 06:35 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/jul/22/domestic-violence-conviction-rate-high

Reporting is rarely worth it. No one will ever have accurate statistics on domestice violence or sexual assault/abuse/rape.

Chris
02-10-2013, 06:36 PM
That is terrible.

According to UN data @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics, rate per 100,000 population are

Country20032004200520062007200820092010
United States of America32.232.331.831.530.629.829.027.3
United Kingdom (England and Wales)25.126.427.025.623.424.027.528.8

So, cary, why do you think our countries are so damned violent?

Let us note that your inflammatory title, "Americans consistently raping at nearly one victim a minute," is incorrect inasmuch as not all Americans rape.

Mister D
02-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Reporting is rarely worth it. No one will ever have accurate statistics on domestice violence or sexual assault/abuse/rape.

This subject should be treated with a little respect, no? It really shouldn't be occasion for one to indulge his superficial anti-Americanism.

Anyway, yes, I have read that before. A lot of domestic violence goes unreported. It's awful that some young males are socialized to see violence directed toward women as normal. It's inconceivable to me that I would strike a girlfriend.

Adelaide
02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
This subject should be treated with a little respect, no? It really shouldn't be occasion for one to indulge his superficial anti-Americanism.

Anyway, yes, I have read that before. A lot of domestic violence goes unreported. It's awful that some young males are socialized to see violence directed toward women as normal. It's inconceivable to me that I would strike a girlfriend.

I stumbled upon a Reddit thread once where males were talking about why they raped someone. A lot of them tried to say it was an accident. It was a pretty disgusting thread to read. Reminded me of Steubenville. I think some males just don't get it, and I think that some just have tempers that are way out of control, but instead of getting help they beat their partners, (or kids).

Adelaide
02-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Speaking of which, the Good Men Project posted a number of articles of men talking about how they had raped women and how "nice guys do it, too". Below is part of an article in response by the Guardian - this was a big deal, as GMP lost many editors and writers in protest and also had supporters withdraw support.

So why am I writing about a relatively insular blog fight in my Guardian column? Because it sheds light on just how toxic our culture is when it comes to rape and sexual assault – and how we can fight back.

We actually know quite a bit about why men rape, and especially about the kinds of rapes that the media often calls "date rape" or "acquaintance rape" – rapes where the perpetrator knew the victim, or at least ran in the same social circles. Academics, researchers and sociologists have done in-depth studies on sexual assault and found that it's actually a small number of men who commit large numbers of acquaintance rapes. Most of those men intentionally target intoxicated women. They socially isolate them, ply them with alcohol to incapacitate them and intentionally push their boundaries to make them vulnerable.

These repeat rapists are more likely to have rigid views of gender roles and are more angry at women than the non-rapist men. They perpetrate their crimes intentionally, but use our social narratives about rape to avoid prosecution.

"These are clearly not individuals who are simply in need of a little extra education about proper communication with the opposite sex," says David Lisak, one of the researchers. "These are predators."
And yet, we still image acquaintance rape as "grey" or "murky" (two of the adjectives used by writers at the Good Men Project). There's a social view of rape as a "he said / she said" situation, especially when alcohol is involved. Two people get drunk, the thinking goes, and they make bad decisions, or he didn't know she wasn't consenting, or she regrets it in the morning and "cries rape".

Nice Guys Commit Rape Conversation Isn't Helpful - the Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/dec/18/nice-guys-commit-rape-conversation-unhelpful)

And no, this is definitely not an American problem - it crosses all countries, all cultures... Just look at the Indian gang rapes. Or the war rape going on in Africa.

It's also not just women; making it entirely about women makes it harder for male survivors, who face even more stigma.

Mister D
02-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I stumbled upon a Reddit thread once where males were talking about why they raped someone. A lot of them tried to say it was an accident. It was a pretty disgusting thread to read. Reminded me of Steubenville. I think some males just don't get it, and I think that some just have tempers that are way out of control, but instead of getting help they beat their partners, (or kids).

Felons?

Adelaide
02-10-2013, 08:35 PM
Felons?

No - literally just a bunch of guys on the internet posting about how they thought maybe they were rapists because they'd had sex with unconscious girls, basically. A couple mentioned violence. It was pretty disturbing... hopefully Reddit called the cops or something.

Mister D
02-10-2013, 08:37 PM
No - literally just a bunch of guys on the internet posting about how they thought maybe they were rapists because they'd had sex with unconscious girls, basically. A couple mentioned violence. It was pretty disturbing... hopefully Reddit called the cops or something.

Wow. That's really fucking disturbing.

Mister D
02-10-2013, 08:45 PM
It's also incredibly stupid.

Adelaide
02-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow. That's really fucking disturbing.

It was easy enough to find: Reddit's had a few threads about sexual assault victims, but are there any redditors from the other side of the story? What were your motivations? Do you regret it? (http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/x6yef/reddits_had_a_few_threads_about_sexual_assault/c5jtt3p)

Most of the comments at the top (after the guy talks about enjoying raping girls and his method) are rape victims and people saying what a fucked up person he is. But over 14000 other replies, you'll find probably at least 100s of admissions. I read the entire thread one night and was just absolutely disgusted.

Chloe
02-10-2013, 08:47 PM
It makes you wonder just how many rapes, molestations, and just basic taking advantage of girls/women and so on never get reported.

roadmaster
02-10-2013, 08:49 PM
It makes you wonder just how many rapes, molestations, and just basic taking advantage of girls/women and so on never get reported.

I am sure it is high. Had a friend going to a different college while I was attending another and she was raped going back to her car. She never went back to college.

Mister D
02-10-2013, 08:54 PM
It was easy enough to find: Reddit's had a few threads about sexual assault victims, but are there any redditors from the other side of the story? What were your motivations? Do you regret it? (http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/x6yef/reddits_had_a_few_threads_about_sexual_assault/c5jtt3p)

Most of the comments at the top (after the guy talks about enjoying raping girls and his method) are rape victims and people saying what a fucked up person he is. But 1170 other replies, you'll find probably at least 100 admissions. I read the entire thread one night and was just absolutely disgusted.

Good God. :shocked: I didn't make it passed the first few paragraphs. Maybe these creeps have an unconscious desire to pay for what they did. I can't imagine why anyone would admit to this publicly.

Chloe
02-10-2013, 08:55 PM
I am sure it is high. Had a friend going to a different college while I was attending another and she was raped going back to her car. She never went back to college.

It's so sad. I just could not imagine what that must be like.

Mister D
02-10-2013, 08:57 PM
To be honest, even remembering it now, the squirming always made it better, they didn't want it to happen, but they couldn't do anything about it.

Adelaide
02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
I actually gave the wrong link - that was just the top story with 1170 replies. The full thread has 14000+ replies: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/x6yef/reddits_had_a_few_threads_about_sexual_assault/

Absolutely disgusting.

Mister D
02-10-2013, 09:05 PM
I actually gave the wrong link - that was just the top story with 1170 replies. The full thread has 14000+ replies: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/x6yef/reddits_had_a_few_threads_about_sexual_assault/

Absolutely disgusting.

Well, that one was bad enough.

My brother is serving time for sexual assault on his under age daughters.

He was drinking a half gallon + of liquor a day, taking vicodin and was out of his mind when he did it. He got drunk and ended up touching his daughters in appropriately on more thasn one occassion. he didn't have intercourse with them, just touched them.

OK stopping there.

Adelaide
02-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Anyways... that whole thing sort of reinforced my instinctive opinion of men. Story, after story. So many excuses. But as the Guardian points out, most rapists keep raping and purposely pick a certain type of girl, get her drunk, rape her, and then it's a "he said she said" situation. Completely fucked up, but not an "American problem".

Mister D
02-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Anyways... that whole thing sort of reinforced my instinctive opinion of men. Story, after story. So many excuses. But as the Guardian points out, most rapists keep raping and purposely pick a certain type of girl, get her drunk, rape her, and then it's a "he said she said" situation. Completely fucked up, but not an "American problem".

There are legions of fine men out there although your feelings on the matter are understandable.

Peter1469
02-10-2013, 10:03 PM

Animals.

Carygrant
02-11-2013, 02:02 AM
That is terrible.

As ever you miss key points .
This is Al Jazeera reporting the US position .
This is a US site catering for Americans to the large majority
This should not be all about how to deny the US situation .
You cannot usefully compare statistics between different countries because the reporting and compiling of data are very different .
Your last comment represents your typical abuse of language where you must be the only man on the planet thinking that the topic title suggests that all Americans rape . Quite a silly remark .
So , all in all , you have not progressed matters one iota -- simply tried to defect a horrific situation away from your own country .

Adelaide
02-11-2013, 08:00 AM
You cannot usefully compare statistics between different countries because the reporting and compiling of data are very different .
Your last comment represents your typical abuse of language where you must be the only man on the planet thinking that the topic title suggests that all Americans rape . Quite a silly remark .
So , all in all , you have not progressed matters one iota -- simply tried to defect a horrific situation away from your own country .

No one is denying it is a problem in the US - people are saying that it's not just an American problem. Women all around the world face this issue everyday. American women aren't the only ones in the universe being raped and beaten or killed in domestic disputes.

Underreporting is an issue in all countries. Most rape victims likely do not go to the police, and when they do there are something like 3 in 100 rapists that will ever spend a single day in prison/jail, with 97 walking away. So, why report it? People generally don't want to be revictimized and spit out by the system.

Chris
02-11-2013, 08:08 AM
That is terrible.

According to UN data @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics, rate per 100,000 population are

Country20032004200520062007200820092010
United States of America32.232.331.831.530.629.829.027.3
United Kingdom (England and Wales)25.126.427.025.623.424.027.528.8

So, cary, why do you think our countries are so damned violent?

Let us note that your inflammatory title, "Americans consistently raping at nearly one victim a minute," is incorrect inasmuch as not all Americans rape.

It was you that reported it to attack all Americans.

As anyone can see I did not deny anything as you make up, I admit it is terrible and point out we're not alone, that in fact your country is just as bad.

Unless you can demonstrate that I think you're the one in denial here. You're the one ignoring the question "So, cary, why do you think our countries are so damned violent?"

You made the silly overgeneralization: "Americans consistently raping at nearly one victim a minute". It is false.

You're making things up to deflect from your country's equal problem.

As adelaide says "No one is denying it is a problem in the US - people are saying that it's not just an American problem. Women all around the world face this issue everyday. American women aren't the only ones in the universe being raped and beaten or killed in domestic disputes. "

Carygrant
02-11-2013, 09:17 AM
No one is denying it is a problem in the US - people are saying that it's not just an American problem. Women all around the world face this issue everyday. American women aren't the only ones in the universe being raped and beaten or killed in domestic disputes.

Underreporting is an issue in all countries. Most rape victims likely do not go to the police, and when they do there are something like 3 in 100 rapists that will ever spend a single day in prison/jail, with 97 walking away. So, why report it? People generally don't want to be revictimized and spit out by the system.

It's not just under reporting .
It is also "over reporting" and that lies behind our figures and even more so for Sweden , for example .
Comparing results from two countries needs several pages of qualifying remarks and will still prove to be useless in terms of indicating actions .
I trust it goes without saying that the general problem is universal .

But individual country stats can be worth something , as long as there is huge extra qualitative research to gauge system and political error factors plus in depth interviews to gauge under/over reporting .
Like violence , the stats must be used very cautiously and with far more sensitivity than people here understand .

Mister D
02-11-2013, 09:19 AM
It's not just under reporting .
It is also "over reporting" and that lies behind our figures and even more so for Sweden , for example .
Comparing results from two countries needs several pages of qualifying remarks and will still prove to be useless in terms of indicating actions .

But individual country stats can be worth something , as long as there is huge extra qualitative research to gauge system and political error factors plus in depth interviews to gauge under/over reporting .
Like violence , the stats must be used very cautiously and with far more sensitivity than people here understand .

Have you no sense of shame?

Carygrant
02-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Chris , you clearly fail to begin to comprehend the basic issues --- so read my post to Adelaide first .
Once you understand how figures are produced , you will realise the irrelevance of your imagined points. The position is exactly the same for Violence --as I have previously showed and where the nearest guide for country comparisons shows the US 400% greater than the UK per '00,000 people .

Chris
02-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Chris , you clearly fail to begin to comprehend the basic issues --- so read my post to Adelaide first .
Once you understand how figures are produced , you will realise the irrelevance of your imagined points. The position is exactly the same for Violence --as I have previously showed and where the nearest guide for country comparisons shows the US 400% greater than the UK per '00,000 people .

Anytime you want to start discussing that.

Good, I see you got my point.

Practice what you preach.

Chris , you...

Ad hom seems to be your strong suit but members here are not the topic. The high rate of rape in countries like ours is. Try and stick to the topic will ya.

Mister D
02-11-2013, 09:28 AM
BTW, Cary, the reason AJ doesn't do propaganda pieces on the UK is because you don't matter.

Carygrant
02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Anytime you want to start discussing that.

YOUR OPINION IS IRRELEVANT . WORLD AUTHORITIES HAVE DEALT WITH THIS ISSUE A LONG TIME AGO

Good, I see you got my point.
'YOUR " POINT ? INFLATED ARROGANCE OF A HIGH ORDER . YOU MUST BE HARD UP TO CLAIM THE SELF EVIDENT AS YOUR OWN .

Practice what you preach.

DO YOU MEAN WHEN I RIP CARTOON GRAPHS TO SHREDS THAT NEVER " PROVE " WHAT THEY CLAIM .

Ad hom seems to be your strong suit but members here are not the topic. The high rate of rape in countries like ours is. Try and stick to the topic will ya.
GLAD YOU ARE NOW FOLLOWING MY ADVICE .SOMETHING WHICH I ENJOY GIVING YOU FOC WHEN YOU GET STUCK .

Let's hear how you explain a Violence figure that is 400% greater than the UK when measured on Homicides .
And a Rape rate approaching one a minute on best estimate .
An unscientific explanation might voice a social breakdown and a crisis situation

Mister D
02-11-2013, 11:33 AM
So, Cary, why do you think rape and domestic violence rates are so high in our countries?

Chris
02-11-2013, 01:57 PM
GLAD YOU ARE NOW FOLLOWING MY ADVICE .SOMETHING WHICH I ENJOY GIVING YOU FOC WHEN YOU GET STUCK .

Let's hear how you explain a Violence figure that is 400% greater than the UK when measured on Homicides .
And a Rape rate approaching one a minute on best estimate .
An unscientific explanation might voice a social breakdown and a crisis situation

Why do you want to change the topic now that it's been shown England is equally violent?