PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Thread Limit?

Cigar
02-11-2013, 07:58 AM
I'm wondering if there's an official forum policy on Thread Limits per day?

I checked the Forum Rules and didn't recognize any official number.

It would be helpful if there was a public disclosure before the infraction, rather than after.

There's really no limit to the amount of news in any given day, t least none that I know of.

Chris
02-11-2013, 08:25 AM

It would be helpful if there was a public disclosure before the infraction, rather than after.

There's really no limit to the amount of news in any given day, t least none that I know of.

This has been explained to you, cigar.

But to let others know what you already know, the limit is currently 8 new threads per day.

As was also explained, this will vary. We would be more lenient toward those who are new to the forum, or who never violated the rule before, we would warn them privately. Another consideration is whether the member is starting new threads on topics that already exist, especially those he himself started. Additionally, and I think most important, it will depended on whether a member who starts many new threads participates in discussion of the topics rather that offering little but smart ass remarks, changing the topic and personally attacking, mocking and insulting other members.

If a flooding infraction is issued then the member will not be able to start more new threads till the next day, but can freely post in other threads, including his own.

Let me add that the flooding rule was discussed and voted on by the VIPs and Mods of this forum.

Carygrant
02-11-2013, 08:28 AM
One hundred seems a good number .
Eight? And exactly how long is a length of string?

The failure to be publicly open about infractions and the reasons for them is so weak and open to potential abuse . And actual .
Let's have people named and the reasons for their infraction and the Mod giving it ( having said the latter , they will cheat and hide behind supposed collective decisions) .

Chris
02-11-2013, 08:35 AM
One hundred seems a good number .
Eight? And exactly how long is a length of string?

The failure to be publicly open about infractions and the reasons for them is so weak and open to potential abuse . And actual .
Let's have people named and the reasons for their infraction and the Mod giving it ( having said the latter , they will cheat and hide behind supposed collective decisions) .

Well, were you a VIP here, cary, you would have been outvoted on the number we consider flooding.

As for the rest we, the VIPs (which includes Mods), are looking at a reporting mechanism for warnings, infractions, bannings, etc so that moderation has more visibility of not only what we do but who the common violators of forum rules and guidelines are.

Cigar
02-11-2013, 08:37 AM
The fact that it was "explained" to me and not "disclosed" or "explained" to everyone on the Forum as a Forum Rule, tells me that it's a Rule just for me.

In addition, the fact that there's a numeric limit that "may vary" sounds kinda subjective.

Anyway ... you can't play the game if you don't know the rules or if the rules are subjective.

I mean ... what if someone of authority wakes up one day and feels grumpy?

So I guess the official rule is, threads are limited to 8 per day ... subjectively.

Understood ...

Carygrant
02-11-2013, 08:41 AM
How many Extremists were VIPs and Mods? 90% ?
Of course it was ruled as eight .

*I bet that the rule is known as the Cigar Flooding Device !!!!

*If it helps I will take up Mod duties with immediate effect .

*Transparency , Transparency , transparency .
Great for respect .

Further advice given free .

Chris
02-11-2013, 08:44 AM
The fact that it was "explained" to me and not "disclosed" or "explained" to everyone on the Forum as a Forum Rule, tells me that it's Rule just for me.

In addition, the fact that there's a numeric limit that "may vary" sounds kinda subjective.

Anyway ... you can't play the game if you don't know the rules or if the rules are subjective.

I mean ... what if someone of authority wakes up one day and feels grumpy?

So I guess the official rule is, threads are limited to 8 per day ... subjectively.

Understood ...

The fact that it was "explained" to me and not "disclosed" or "explained" to everyone on the Forum as a Forum Rule, tells me that it's Rule just for me.

No, you're not that important. And if you makes this into a personal specific complaint about moderation you will run the risk of violating rule 8. General discussion of moderation and rules etc is OK, not specific moderation or moderators or actions, those you need to use PMs for.

In fact, consider this a warning on that rule.

No, not really, the moderators act on a consensus of moderators.

Oh, it's not a game. That you consider it a game may be a problem you have here. Why not just participate?

Cigar
02-11-2013, 08:45 AM
I got my answer ...

Chris
02-11-2013, 08:48 AM
How many Extremists were VIPs and Mods? 90% ?
Of course it was ruled as eight .

Great for respect .

It's really difficult to understand what you're saying, cary. But I'll try.

90%

75%

No. Anyone who floods the forum will be infracted for it. We moderate behavior not personalities.

I'll take that as a joke.

Already addressed above.

Long as it is general, and rational, sure.

Chris
02-11-2013, 08:48 AM
I got my answer ...

Good.

Carygrant
02-11-2013, 09:04 AM
You remain a riot of unintentional laughter , Chris .
Suddenly you are unable to understand the most fluent writer here . Yet , except for the two illiterates , whom ( !) do you really think believes that?

The logic ( !!!!!) contained in my opening remark was :
If you have a voting cabal of right wing opinion , including a few bodies who don't want to knock over the apple cart , you will get a right wing passed motion .
Hence the 8 Topic , Cigar Flooding Device .

If you do want to become my PA you will have speed up your reaction time , quality of responses and develop a sense of humour .
In fairness you did post something funny the other day and I rewarded you accordingly with a Thanks .

Chris
02-11-2013, 09:11 AM
You remain a riot of unintentional laughter , Chris .
Suddenly you are unable to understand the most fluent writer here . Yet , except for the two illiterates , whom ( !) do you really think believes that?

The logic ( !!!!!) contained in my opening remark was :
If you have a voting cabal of right wing opinion , including a few bodies who don't want to knock over the apple cart , you will get a right wing passed motion .
Hence the 8 Topic , Cigar Flooding Device .

If you do want to become my PA you will have speed up your reaction time , quality of responses and develop a sense of humour .
In fairness you did post something funny the other day and I rewarded you accordingly with a Thanks .

I will give you the same friendly advice I gave cigar, you're approaching violation of rule 8, keep discussion general, if you have personal issues with moderators or moderation then use PMs. I would include VIPs in that.

We don't. If a right winger violated the flooding rule, as described above, he would receive the same treatment.

If you...

Ignored as irrelevant to the topic at hand.

oceanloverOH
02-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Cary, I'm just gonna step in for a sec to let you know that I was one of the participants in the discussions and subsequent vote about Flooding. This is not a "Cigar" initiative, but a device to help us keep daily topics on the Forums varied and interesting, for everyone. Many members had complained of there being sometimes several threads in a day, the same topic, sometimes started by the same member; or a "flood" of topics daily (sometimes more than a dozen) that weren't really topics, just random comments. These random threads would push the "real" topics right into yesterday, discouraging discussion. So we looked at many options to fix this, for the good of all. The discussion was quite heated and lengthy, and the vote was by no means unanimous. Eight just seemed appropriate to most of us; enough that any one member could post numerous topics in one day, but not so many that it would allow domination of all discussions.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

Cigar
02-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Cary, I'm just gonna step in for a sec to let you know that I was one of the participants in the discussions and subsequent vote about Flooding. This is not a "Cigar" initiative, but a device to help us keep daily topics on the Forums varied and interesting, for everyone. Many members had complained of there being sometimes several threads in a day, the same topic, sometimes started by the same member; or a "flood" of topics daily (sometimes more than a dozen) that weren't really topics, just random comments. These random threads would push the "real" topics right into yesterday, discouraging discussion. So we looked at many options to fix this, for the good of all. The discussion was quite heated and lengthy, and the vote was by no means unanimous. Eight just seemed appropriate to most of us; enough that any one member could post numerous topics in one day, but not so many that it would dominate all discussions.

So you agree ... after extensive discussions among yourself and other Members and Staff, that sharing that intel would have been important to the people who it was intended, before infractions where levied?

Now do you understand where the confusion ... came?

8 is cool ... just tell people that

I'm quite sure there's a chapter in Management 101 that address that.

Carygrant
02-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Cary, I'm just gonna step in for a sec to let you know that I was one of the participants in the discussions and subsequent vote about Flooding. This is not a "Cigar" initiative, but a device to help us keep daily topics on the Forums varied and interesting, for everyone. Many members had complained of there being sometimes several threads in a day, the same topic, sometimes started by the same member; or a "flood" of topics daily (sometimes more than a dozen) that weren't really topics, just random comments. These random threads would push the "real" topics right into yesterday, discouraging discussion. So we looked at many options to fix this, for the good of all. The discussion was quite heated and lengthy, and the vote was by no means unanimous. Eight just seemed appropriate to most of us; enough that any one member could post numerous topics in one day, but not so many that it would allow domination of all discussions.

I appreciate your comments .
And in such instances i agree -- who reasonably would not?
As you have widened the discussion floor , internal two party shouting still accounts for the bulk of comments in a narrow band of internal subjects , and politics /happenings in the rest of the world remains small.
Clearly you cannot force people to get interested outside of their small box , but this is a poor Forum position to be in , imo . Somehow I feel your flooding rule applies only to a small section of the forum and I suspect would have been unchallenged if the only perpetrator was of a different political persuasion .
But regardless , why not let "open market" pressures apply .
However , in the bigger picture I regard this area as a trivial matter relative to a more international Forum flavour and separately Infraction and Banning transparency .

Chris
02-11-2013, 09:38 AM
So you agree ... after extensive discussions among yourself and other Members and Staff, that sharing that intel would have been important to the people who it was intended, before infractions where levied?

Now do you understand where the confusion ... came?

8 is cool ... just tell people that

I'm quite sure there's a chapter in Management 101 that address that.

In addition to PMs to members flooding beforehand, there was an announcement: http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/6236-The-Political-Forums-Revised-Rules-and-Regulations?p=228210#post228210

Cigar
02-11-2013, 09:41 AM
Possible over site; The word "eight" or number "8" is missing.

Chris
02-11-2013, 09:41 AM
I appreciate your comments .
And in such instances i agree -- who reasonably would not?
As you have widened the discussion floor , internal two party shouting still accounts for the bulk of comments in a narrow band of internal subjects , and politics /happenings in the rest of the world remains small.
Clearly you cannot force people to get interested outside of their small box , but this is a poor Forum position to be in , imo . Somehow I feel your flooding rule applies only to a small section of the forum and I suspect would have been unchallenged if the only perpetrator was of a different political persuasion .
But regardless , why not let "open market" pressures apply .
However , in the bigger picture I regard this area as a trivial matter relative to a more international Forum flavour and separately Infraction and Banning transparency .

Two party? Oh, those forum areas. My guess is they will go away.

Happenings in the rest of the world? Start threads on such topics, those interested will respond.

The flooding rules applies to the entire forum.

Moderation visibility has already been addressed.

Chris
02-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Possible over site; The word "eight" or number "8" is missing.

Because it is at the discretion of the mods. The VIP consensus was around 8. Some wanted low as 4, some high as 12. And as stated it will depend on whether the thread starter actively participates in discussion in each thread or instead tries to distract and discourage discussion.

Peter1469
02-11-2013, 04:45 PM
We picked 8 because of the number of forums in the general discussion area. I just counted, and there are nine.... :rollseyes:

Captain Obvious
02-12-2013, 07:00 PM
we picked 8 because of the number of forums in the general discussion area. I just counted, and there are nine.... :rollseyes:

garrrr!!!

oceanloverOH
02-12-2013, 08:04 PM
We picked 8 because of the number of forums in the general discussion area. I just counted, and there are nine.... :rollseyes:

Oh well. What's a little dyscalculia among friends?

Peter1469
02-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Oh well. What's a little dyscalculia among friends?

:laugh:

countryboy
02-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Wow, what difference does it make? It's still Ceegar's Political Forums around here. Eight threads by some, is eight threads too many.

What a fucking joke. You know, the not so funny kind?

Chris
02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Wow, what difference does it make? It's still Ceegar's Political Forums around here. Eight threads by some, is eight threads too many.

Then start more threads. I try to start one or two a day. If everyone did, we'd have a lot to talk about.

Peter1469
02-12-2013, 09:19 PM

Cigar has actually started to participate beyond posting and moving on to other posts.

Conley
02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Cigar has actually started to participate beyond posting and moving on to other posts.

Hopefully some of the other folks who constantly complain about this site can find the time to do the same :grin:

roadmaster
02-12-2013, 10:56 PM

Yes these are new rules that achieved 75%. It was our understanding that each person whomever it may be would be contacted if they should go over 8 threads. Measured time allows people to coordinate their actions and adjust. Incentives and clear expectations concerning what are rewarded depending on their level of trait in question. I do hope this helps with any questions that may come to mind.

countryboy
02-12-2013, 10:59 PM
Soooo, we have to start threads to counter the troll? Ummm, ooooookay.

Conley
02-12-2013, 11:03 PM

Man up. Either contribute or leave...everyone is tired of your constant whining

oceanloverOH
02-12-2013, 11:05 PM

Awww, come on, countryboy. We really are working very hard to make this a comfortable, interesting site for everyone.

Chris
02-12-2013, 11:06 PM

An alternative is to find threads you're interested in and respond to those.

Cigar's threads spark a lot of discussion. People keep responding to them.

countryboy
02-12-2013, 11:23 PM
An alternative is to find threads you're interested in and respond to those.

Cigar's threads spark a lot of discussion. People keep responding to them.

Yeah well, it's difficult to look away from a train wreck.

Troll threads don't enhance your forum, but that's just my opinion.....carry on.

roadmaster
02-13-2013, 12:43 AM

I explained it the best way I could and it was put forth with respect for all members of this form to have their voice or threads read. Also, we are not exempt by them.

Carygrant
02-13-2013, 02:35 AM

They say that the most verbally violent people are obese Hilly Billy Boys .
And they also say that one man's Troll is the other mans idea of a retard .
Yes . We have some amusing sayings over here in God's green and pleasant land -- ideal for potato growing according to one of our wittier intellectuals here.

countryboy
02-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Man up. Either contribute or leave...everyone is tired of your constant whining
I guess it's clear why this forum is so easily ruined by a couple of trolls. When you have moderators like this, it's no wonder. Coddle the trolls while running off legitimate posters.

Whining, man up? Fuck off asshole, have fun with your little troll fest.

Infraction issued - incivility

Cigar
02-13-2013, 08:17 AM
I guess it's clear why this forum is so easily ruined by a couple of trolls. When you have moderators like this, it's no wonder. Coddle the trolls while running off legitimate posters.

Whining, man up? Fuck off asshole, have fun with your little troll fest.

You're breaking my heart Countrybumpkin ... :crybaby2:

I followed the rules ... once I know them, and I'm still not feeling the love. :grin:

Chris
02-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Closing thread as the topic has been addressed and it's turning into a call out thread.