PDA

View Full Version : Heavily processed food like ready meals and ice-cream linked to early death

Peter1469
05-30-2019, 08:18 AM
Heavily processed food like ready meals and ice-cream linked to early death (https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/may/29/studies-link-too-much-heavily-processed-food-to-early-death)

This isn't news, but two new studies find evidence of the dangers of foods made with "industrial ingredients." Although the increase in disease and death is low.

People who eat large amounts of heavily processed foods, from breakfast cereals and ready meals to muffins and ice-cream, have a greater risk of heart attack, stroke and early death, according to two major studies.

The findings, from separate teams in France and Spain, add to a growing body of evidence that foods made in factories with industrial ingredients may have a hand in an array of medical disorders such as cancer, obesity and high blood pressure.

In the French NutriSanté study, researchers at the University of Paris gathered details on the diets and health of more than 105,000 people. Over five years of follow-up, those who consumed the most “ultra-processed” food were most at risk of stroke, heart attack and other cardiovascular problems. When the amount of ultra-processed food in the diet rose 10 percentage points, for example from 10% to 20%, the risk of the diseases rose 12%.

The study, published in the British Medical Journal (http://www.bmj.com/content/365/bmj.l1451), does not prove that ultra-processed foods cause disease. Nor does the effect appear particularly large, even in the most enthusiastic junk food consumers. The results suggest that 277 cases of cardiovascular disease would arise each year in 100,000 heavy consumers of ultra-processed foods, versus 242 cases in the same number of low consumers.

But Mathilde Touvier, a member of the French team, said there was sufficient evidence for public health authorities to apply the precautionary principle and advise people to cut down. “The public should avoid these foods as much as they can,” she said. “We need to go back to more basic diets.”

nathanbforrest45
05-30-2019, 08:31 AM
An indisputable cause of death is having once been alive.

Peter1469
05-30-2019, 08:35 AM
An indisputable cause of death is having once been alive.
That is indisputable.

MMC
05-30-2019, 08:57 AM
Heavily processed food like ready meals and ice-cream linked to early death (https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/may/29/studies-link-too-much-heavily-processed-food-to-early-death)

This isn't news, but two new studies find evidence of the dangers of foods made with "industrial ingredients." Although the increase in disease and death is low.

One low dose aspirin is recommended for people over 50. :grin:

Peter1469
05-30-2019, 09:02 AM
I believe that recommendation was rescinded.

MMC
05-30-2019, 09:11 AM

They need to inform Midwest doctors. Just sayin. :wink:

MisterVeritis
05-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Just one?

That seems miraculous.

:grin:

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 11:36 AM
It was not rescinded, just modified. It's only recommended for people who have had previous heart issues.

Cotton1
05-30-2019, 11:40 AM
I eat to many frozen dinners etc. I have had a headache for 3 days, not uncommon for me. I assume there is a link in my diet and what appears to be declining health.

Peter1469
05-30-2019, 11:48 AM
It was not rescinded, just modified. It's only recommended for people who have had previous heart issues.
Thanks. I didn't recall the details.

Peter1469
05-30-2019, 11:49 AM
I eat to many frozen dinners etc. I have had a headache for 3 days, not uncommon for me. I assume there is a link in my diet and what appears to be declining health.
Could be. I maybe had a frozen dinner under 10 times in my life. Too many chemicals.

MMC
05-30-2019, 12:45 PM

I haven't had any heart issues. But because I smoke. They tell me I should take the low dose aspirin to reduce the risk of stroke.

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 12:52 PM
I haven't had any heart issues. But because I smoke. They tell me I should take the low dose aspirin to reduce the risk of stroke.
Why not quit smoking?

jimmyz
05-30-2019, 01:50 PM
Every once in a while I get the crackers, spray cheese and salami. I just refrain from making it part of my regular shopping list. I'm an old fashioned oatmeal guy but every now and again peanut butter Captain Crunch stows away in my cart. Just not regularly

The Xl
05-30-2019, 03:07 PM
I'm floored at this finding.

Mini Me
05-30-2019, 03:25 PM

Try smoking or ingesting some good cannabis!

jimmyz
05-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Here is the ingredient list for frozen Salisbury steak

Ingredients: Water, Cooked Beef, Cooked Pork, Onions, Textured Soy Flour, Modified Cornstarch, 2% or Less of Rolled Oats, Whey Protein Concentrate, Salt, Flavorings, Onion Puree, Chicken Broth, Brown Sugar, Rendered Beef Fat, Worcestershire Sauce (Vinegar, Molasses, Water, Tamarind, Natural Flavor, Sugar, Salt, Onion, Garlic), Tapioca Starch, Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Mustard Powder, Paprika, Tomato Paste, Potassium Chloride, Beef Fat, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Dried Beef Broth, Spices, Beef Broth, Mushroom Juice Concentrate, Whey Powder, Yeast, Gelatin, Natural Flavor, Tomato Powder, Onion Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Oil, Grill Flavor (from Vegetable Oil).

It's the "natural flavor (noted twice), grill flavor, potassium chloride, and flavorings" that will getcha. Not to mention all the salt in other ingredients.

Peter1469
05-30-2019, 03:42 PM

Ingredients: Water, Cooked Beef, Cooked Pork, Onions, Textured Soy Flour, Modified Cornstarch, 2% or Less of Rolled Oats, Whey Protein Concentrate, Salt, Flavorings, Onion Puree, Chicken Broth, Brown Sugar, Rendered Beef Fat, Worcestershire Sauce (Vinegar, Molasses, Water, Tamarind, Natural Flavor, Sugar, Salt, Onion, Garlic), Tapioca Starch, Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Mustard Powder, Paprika, Tomato Paste, Potassium Chloride, Beef Fat, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Dried Beef Broth, Spices, Beef Broth, Mushroom Juice Concentrate, Whey Powder, Yeast, Gelatin, Natural Flavor, Tomato Powder, Onion Juice Concentrate, Sunflower Oil, Grill Flavor (from Vegetable Oil).

It's the "natural flavor (noted twice), grill flavor, potassium chloride, and flavorings" that will getcha. Not to mention all the salt in other ingredients.
And the soy. Your body treats it like estrogen.

Captdon
05-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Just one?

That seems miraculous.

:grin:

It help keep blood clots from forming.

nathanbforrest45
05-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Its the salt content of many processed foods that will do you in. Because of my heart attack last year I was told not to eat more than 1500 mg of sodium per day. Check out most frozen dinners. One frozen dinner will wipe out your salt diet for a day. The average person consumes over 3000 mg of salt per day. Salt free is yucky but not as yucky as death

Peter1469
05-31-2019, 04:30 AM
Its the salt content of many processed foods that will do you in. Because of my heart attack last year I was told not to eat more than 1500 mg of sodium per day. Check out most frozen dinners. One frozen dinner will wipe out your salt diet for a day. The average person consumes over 3000 mg of salt per day. Salt free is yucky but not as yucky as death

People with salt sensitivity have to worry about excess salt. About 30% of people are salt sensitive.

Collateral Damage
05-31-2019, 08:36 AM
Those with any concern for their health knows what they should do, versus what they actually do.

I have an unusual food allergy, so my purchase of ready-made food is very limited. That doesn't mean I don't indulge in a Stouffers chemicals posing as Mac & Cheese every now and then.

The trick to reducing some of the perceived health hazards are microwaving in a uncoated glass container. Get rid of the plastic, regardless of how safe they say it is. Do not heat in an oven in a container provided, again, use an oven safe glass container.

Use foods with minimal ingredients. The Mac & Cheese, I add my own diced up left-over meat to during the second phase of heating, rather than purchasing one that has meat or other stuff already added.

Occasional indulgences aren't going to kill someone, but as the primary source of nutrients, yeah, no.