PDA

View Full Version : Jurisprudence and the Failed Coup

Peter1469
05-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Jurisprudence and the Failed Coup (https://www.amgreatness.com/2019/05/28/jurisprudence-and-the-failed-coup/)

Stephen Presser realizes what many have been saying. The first intellectual to broach the subject was Victor Davis Hanson.

The indispensable Victor Davis Hanson recently noted (https://amgreatness.com/2019/05/26/colluders-obstructionists-leakers-and-other-projectionists/), “Real coups against democracies rarely are pulled off by jack-booted thugs in sunglasses or fanatical mobs storming the presidential palace. More often, they are the insidious work of supercilious bureaucrats, bought intellectuals, toady journalists, and political activists who falsely project that their target might at some future date do precisely what they are currently planning and doing—and that they are noble patriots, risking their lives, careers, and reputations for all of us, and thus must strike first.”

I believe VDH said that in 2017.

He was discussing what we are now beginning to understand (https://www.amgreatness.com/2019/05/25/lets-call-the-russian-collusion-hoax-what-it-really-is/) was the attempt to oust Donald Trump begun by officials in the Obama Administration, including certainly former FBI Director James Comey, assistant director Andrew McCabe, former acting Attorney General Sally Yates, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, former CIA Director John Brennan, former FBI counterintelligence chief Peter Strzok, former FBI attorney Lisa Page, and quite possibly President Obama himself.

This will, in the long light of history, be regarded as the greatest misuse of governmental power ever to appear in our politics, and yet there has been very little attention paid to how this could occur and why at this particular time in our political development.

Anyway, it is an interesting article. It gets into a lot of technical legal stuff. Read the rest at the link.

MMC
05-30-2019, 02:34 PM
Lets not forget it was the Demos that pushed for Russian Collusion. It was the Demos who kept getting out there and saying Trump was helped by Putin. The Russians helped Trump win the election.

Now the Lame Stream media is giving the Demos a pass on lying to them. Lying to the Country. It now has been validated that there was No Russian Collusion. There was no Russians helping Trump win the election.

Of course the Lame Stream is giving Hillary a pass who has repeatedly stated Trump is an illegitimate President due to the Russian collusion even this year and telling people overseas.

MMC
05-30-2019, 02:38 PM
John Durham Needs To Investigate Why The Info Generating The Mueller Probe Is All Linked To Hillary Clinton (https://thefederalist.com/2019/05/30/john-durham-needs-investigate-info-generated-mueller-probe-linked-hillary-clinton/)

At a certain point, it can’t be mere coincidence that every major figure involved in probing Trump’s campaign is linked to Hillary Clinton in some manner.

The Xl
05-30-2019, 03:04 PM
We've had numerous success coups against this country internally. This is nothing new, it's just publicized.

Lummy
05-30-2019, 03:21 PM
I've said and will keep saying that democrats accuse Trump of everything they themselves are doing.

Peter1469
05-30-2019, 03:28 PM
Lets not forget it was the Demos that pushed for Russian Collusion. It was the Demos who kept getting out there and saying Trump was helped by Putin. The Russians helped Trump win the election.

Now the Lame Stream media is giving the Demos a pass on lying to them. Lying to the Country. It now has been validated that there was No Russian Collusion. There was no Russians helping Trump win the election.

Of course the Lame Stream is giving Hillary a pass who has repeatedly stated Trump is an illegitimate President due to the Russian collusion even this year and telling people overseas.
Of course. The media are typists for the DNC.

Peter1469
05-30-2019, 03:30 PM
I've said and will keep saying that democrats accuse Trump of everything they themselves are doing.

Exactly. Hillary was colluding with Russians via Steele. So you hide your indiscretions by accusing your opponent of what you are doing. Very old tactic.

Sergeant Gleed
05-30-2019, 04:11 PM
Like when DNC head Perez warned that Trump was going to try to steal the 2020 election.

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 04:20 PM
We've had numerous success coups against this country internally. This is nothing new, it's just publicized.
Can you name a couple?

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 04:24 PM

he indispensable Victor Davis Hanson recently noted (https://amgreatness.com/2019/05/26/colluders-obstructionists-leakers-and-other-projectionists/), “Real coups against democracies rarely are pulled off by jack-booted thugs in sunglasses or fanatical mobs storming the presidential palace. More often, they are the insidious work of supercilious bureaucrats, bought intellectuals, toady journalists, and political activists who falsely project that their target might at some future date do precisely what they are currently planning and doing—and that they are noble patriots, risking their lives, careers, and reputations for all of us, and thus must strike first.”

I believe VDH said that in 2017....

It's absolutely true, but it isn't so profound to make that statement as you are watching it unfold in front of your eyes. Every objective observer of politics knew that as it was and still is happening

Sergeant Gleed
05-30-2019, 04:29 PM
Can you name a couple?
The resignation of Nixon.

The assassinations of Lincoln and Kennedy.

The theft of the Minnesota Senate Seat by Al Franken, resulting in the illegal imposition of MessiahCare on the nation.

The usurpation of state legislative authority by the courts in Roe v Wade.

The imposition of congressional ly desired state drinking ages or face the elimination of federal highway funds.

A BIG is the expansion of the word "commerce" to cover agriculture and manufacturing, in which the courts ceded to Congress regulatory authority that simply dies not exist.

MisterVeritis
05-30-2019, 04:30 PM
It's absolutely true, but it isn't so profound to make that statement as you are watching it unfold in front of your eyes. Every objective observer of politics knew that as it was and still is happening
We watched it together beginning in January 2017. What did you think then? When did you first begin to identify the coup correctly?

MisterVeritis
05-30-2019, 04:35 PM

The theft of the Minnesota Senate Seat by Al Franken, resulting in the illegal imposition of MessiahCare on the nation.

I call it a coup. Some others have loosely described it as a counter (American) Revolution. In 1936 Roosevelt began the process of overthrowing the original Constitution and replacing it with its opposite. Prior to 1936 we still had a federal government with limited powers. The people and the States had most of the powers. By 1943 the Federal government had unlimited powers, and the people and States were limited.

Sergeant Gleed
05-30-2019, 04:40 PM

The imposition of congressional ly desired state drinking ages or face the elimination of federal highway funds.

A BIG is the expansion of the word "commerce" to cover agriculture and manufacturing, in which the courts ceded to Congress regulatory authority that simply dies not exist.

Another really big one is Marbury v Madison, where the courts simply assumed the power of judicial review out if thin air.

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 04:44 PM
We watched it together beginning in January 2017. What did you think then? When did you first begin to identify the coup correctly?
It started befor January 2017. I saw it begin the day after Election Day.

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 04:47 PM

Nixon's resignation wasn't a coup. Nixon actially did commit the crime of obstruction of justice. Neither were the assassinations or the vote fraud in Minnesota.

The Xl
05-30-2019, 05:38 PM
Can you name a couple?
Vietnam, the JFK assassination, Federal Reserve.

I'm not limiting it to just the President, I'm including Coups against the American people.

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 05:53 PM
Vietnam, the JFK assassination, Federal Reserve.

I'm not limiting it to just the President, I'm including Coups against the American people.

Those weren't coups.

Captdon
05-30-2019, 06:07 PM
Can you name a couple?

Abraham Lincoln and FDR for two. LBJ was another one.

Captdon
05-30-2019, 06:08 PM

The day after the election.

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 06:23 PM
Abraham Lincoln and FDR for two. LBJ was another one.
Those were not coups.

MisterVeritis
05-30-2019, 06:36 PM

It started before January 2017. I saw it begin the day after Election Day.
Okay. What clues did you discover prior to January 2017?

What did you think then?

When did you first begin to identify the coup correctly?

MisterVeritis
05-30-2019, 06:39 PM

The day after the election.
Okay.

What did you think then?

When did you first begin to correctly identify what was happening as a coup?

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 07:01 PM
Forget it. The dude just wants to argue.

Lummy
05-30-2019, 07:05 PM

Okay.

What did you think then?

No. It's sort of like asking, what was your first clue that an infestation of rats was going to start feeding on flesh?

Tahuyaman
05-30-2019, 07:13 PM
No. It's sort of like asking, what was your first clue that an infestation of rats was going to start feeding on flesh?
No, its not.

MisterVeritis
05-30-2019, 07:18 PM
How can we argue? You have not yet answered my questions.

I made them as reasonable as possible.

For me the first indication occurred in late January 2017. By late February or maybe early March, 2017, I was convinced this was a coup. I said so at the time. I was roundly ridiculed.

MMC
05-31-2019, 05:45 AM
From the Atlantic. One of the Lefties bestest sites.

We're Watching an Antidemocratic Coup Unfold

Acts of sabotage against the president are perilous to the American system of government. They're also self-serving.

David A. Graham (https://www.theatlantic.com/author/david-a-graham/) Sep 5, 2018

Yet the actions described in the book and in the op-ed are extremely worrying, and amount to a soft coup against the president. Given that one of Trump’s great flaws is that he has little regard for rule of law, it’s hard to cheer on Cabinet members and others openly thwarting Trump’s directives, giving unelected officials effective veto power over the elected president. Like Vietnam War–era generals, they are destroying the village in order to save it. As is so often the case in the Trump administration, both alternatives are awful to consider.

Say what you will about the wisdom of voters, but it is the bedrock of the nation, and Trump is the duly elected president, as Sanders says. Cabinet members are at least confirmed by the Senate, but they’re still unelected. Officials like Cohn and Porter are subject to even less scrutiny, as they are appointed directly to their posts. If protecting the rules requires tearing down the rules, what is there to be gained?

This is astonishingly shortsighted. The writer, and anyone else who thinks this way, overlooks a major flaw: Any situation in which unelected officials are sabotaging the president through a soft coup is already a constitutional crisis, as my colleague David Frum has written (https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/09/this-is-a-constitutional-crisis/569443/).

Not only are these acts of sabotage legally perilous; the leaks about them are self-serving. Woodward does not reveal his sources, either in general or in specific instances, but a read of the book strongly suggests that Porter and Cohn are among those who spoke to him. By spreading word that they stood up to the president behind closed doors, these figures hope to burnish their reputations and distance themselves from the stain the Trump presidency leaves on nearly everyone it touches. In doing so, they’ve fingered themselves in another questionable pursuit. If the price of defending democracy and rule of law is to destroy both, the price is too high.....snip~

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-times/569416/ (https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/09/trump-mattis-kelly-new-york-times/569416/)

MMC
06-01-2019, 06:13 AM
As you can see once leftists started talking about it.....then the illiberals go walk about.

Peter1469
06-01-2019, 06:22 AM
As you can see once leftists started talking about it.....then the illiberals go walk about.

Probably too much legalese for most.

MMC
06-01-2019, 07:35 AM
Probably too much legalese for most.

Not in understanding a coup. Nor how one would come off in a Democracy/Republic.

Captdon
06-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Those were not coups.

They sure as Hell were. Lincoln changed the way we govern. By necessity, he expanded federal power and dominance.

FDR nearly destroyed state rights. All he left was what he didn't want.

LBJ took all the stAte rights away.He fought a major war just to fight it and distract the people.

What is your definition of a coup?

Captdon
06-01-2019, 09:20 AM

Okay.

What did you think then?

The talk of finding unfaithful electors.I may not have used the word coup but it comes out as the same result.

Captdon
06-01-2019, 09:21 AM
How can we argue? You have not yet answered my questions.

I made them as reasonable as possible.

For me the first indication occurred in late January 2017. By late February or maybe early March, 2017, I was convinced this was a coup. I said so at the time. I was roundly ridiculed.

Finding unfaithful electors slipped past you?

MisterVeritis
06-01-2019, 09:51 AM
Those were not coups.
FDR.

I call it a coup. Some others have loosely described it as a counter (American) Revolution.

In 1936 Roosevelt began the process of overthrowing the original Constitution and replacing it with its opposite. Prior to 1936 we had a federal government with limited powers. The people and the States had most of the powers. By 1943 the Federal government had unlimited powers, and the people and States were limited.

MisterVeritis
06-01-2019, 09:52 AM
Finding unfaithful electors slipped past you?
That was not a coup.

Captdon
06-01-2019, 09:25 PM
That was not a coup.

It was an attempt, There still hasn't been a coup.

MMC
06-02-2019, 07:48 AM
It was an attempt, There still hasn't been a coup.

The Democrats are engaged in a Coup Right now, and their Lame Stream media is complicit with it.

Captdon
06-02-2019, 03:16 PM
That was not a coup.

Yes it was, O Mighty One.

End of discussion.

Captdon
06-02-2019, 03:17 PM
The Democrats are engaged in a Coup Right now, and their Lame Stream media is complicit with it.

They have failed so far.

DGUtley
06-02-2019, 03:38 PM

Admiral Ackbar
06-02-2019, 04:01 PM
Orange Man Bad...

MisterVeritis
06-03-2019, 11:42 AM
You: unfaithful electors...

Me: That was not a coup.

Yes it was, O Mighty One.
End of discussion.
If that attempt was a coup then all of politics is a coup.