PDA

View Full Version : President Trump and tariffs

pjohns
05-31-2019, 06:41 PM
I think that a good case can be made that tariffs are a necessary evil--especially against China--but I am a bit disappointed by President Trump's declaration that he is "a tariff man."

It is one thing to say that, under the circumstances, tariffs may be the appropriate way to go--no better way is evident--but it is quite another to revel in tariffs, as though they were an inherently good thing.

It would be well, I believe, to distinguish between the two.

Comments?

Dr. Who
05-31-2019, 06:57 PM
Lack of tariffs benefits consumers but does not protect domestic industry which can lead to the departure of manufacturers for places with lower operating costs so that they can compete on price. It also leads to the declining durability of goods when competition means competing with other manufacturers that also use cheap quality parts to make their products more price competitive in a market that increasingly doesn't value durability. Without tariffs or many tariffs, there is far more availability of produce and goods and consumers value choice. On the other hand, it creates more waste due to increased consumerism and increased built-in obsolescence. An interesting topic. Thanks.

jimmyz
05-31-2019, 07:09 PM
Mexico will feel it when the produce backs up in the supply chain rotting because American grown produce is less expensive. Californian avocados are better anyway. GM, Ford and the others will put political pressure on Mexico when their Mexican assembled cars languish in lots because American assembled Toyotas make better financial sense.