PDA

View Full Version : Is a new credit bubble getting ready to burst?

DGUtley
06-01-2019, 02:32 PM
This is a very interesting article. It discusses business lending and now the smart money watchers think the business lending bubble is going to burst. We will never learn will we?

https://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=https://www.greenwichtime.com/business/article/A-new-credit-bubble-gets-ready-to-burst-13911193.php&s=1&f=1&ts=1559417341&sig=ACgcqhpt181n9ZMDpJGRpsNhpMR5eUZukQ

Trumpster
06-01-2019, 03:22 PM
The article was written by Steven Pearlstein who writes for the Washington Post, a left leaning publication.

DGUtley
06-01-2019, 05:13 PM
So?

Peter1469
06-01-2019, 06:15 PM
The article was written by Steven Pearlstein who writes for the Washington Post, a left leaning publication.
Does that shut your brain down?

If so why? No meat in your diet?

Just AnotherPerson
06-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Does that shut your brain down?

If so why? No meat in your diet?

Come on now. I don't think the person meant anything bad by that comment. Didn't you see the thank you? Is this attack Trumpster day? It is getting weird.

Do you have a "beef" with Trumpster? Pun intended...…..

Peter1469
06-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Come on now. I don't think the person meant anything bad by that comment. Didn't you see the thank you? Is this attack Trumpster day? It is getting weird.

Trumpster needs a good rare steak to get his facilities back. Fire up the brain.

Just AnotherPerson
06-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Trumpster needs a good rare steak to get his facilities back. Fire up the brain.

I like Trumpster. I think He/She is very intelligent. Trumpster has often brought some really important issues and information to this forum, especially on health and food topics. They were informative. I don't see very many things here in the forum that I didn't already know. But Trumpster is one of the people that brings out the important information consistently. I appreciate that. The information is always something important.

Peter1469
06-01-2019, 06:43 PM
I like Trumpster. I think He/She is very intelligent. Trumpster has often brought some really important issues and information to this forum, especially on health and food topics. They were informative. I don't see very many things here in the forum that I didn't already know. But Trumpster is one of the people that brings out the important information consistently. I appreciate that. The information is always something important.
True.

But he drank the Kool-aid on nutrition. He needs to break free of the medical establishment on that.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2019, 07:29 PM
This is a very interesting article. It discusses business lending and now the smart money watchers think the business lending bubble is going to burst. We will never learn will we?

https://googleweblight.com/?lite_url=https://www.greenwichtime.com/business/article/A-new-credit-bubble-gets-ready-to-burst-13911193.php&s=1&f=1&ts=1559417341&sig=ACgcqhpt181n9ZMDpJGRpsNhpMR5eUZukQ

Id like to see a return to the days where we had dozens of regional banks instead of the few huge national banks.

Peter1469
06-01-2019, 07:33 PM
Id like to see a return to the days where we had dozens of regional banks instead of the few huge national banks.
If the banks get into trouble again, let them fail.

The QE we tossed out could have covered all deposits for far less money.

Tahuyaman
06-01-2019, 07:36 PM
If the banks get into trouble again, let them fail.

The QE we tossed out could have covered all deposits for far less money.
Banks which are regional and more connected to the local business climate and economy would be less likely to fail.

Peter1469
06-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Banks which are regional and more connected to the local business climate and economy would be less likely to fail.

Correct. So long as they don't get caught up in schemes like mortgage backed securities and junk bonds.

donttread
06-02-2019, 06:28 AM

No we will not. Our entire system is short term oriented. I advocate for getting rid of the fed after they actively fed ( yup the pun is intended) the 2008 mess until crash was the only possible outcome. But not being a politician I can do that without fear.

DGUtley
06-02-2019, 06:53 AM
No we will not. Our entire system is short term oriented. I advocate for getting rid of the fed after they actively fed ( yup the pun is intended) the 2008 mess until crash was the only possible outcome. But not being a politician I can do that without fear.

I am admittedly naïve and uninformed on this issue -- how did The Fed cause the 2008 mess?

donttread
06-02-2019, 01:08 PM
I am admittedly naïve and uninformed on this issue -- how did The Fed cause the 2008 mess?

They kept lowering interest rates into the teeth of the housing "boom" aka out of control inflation. Hence keeping the run going longer and creating the need for a larger "market correction". I even called it and I'm sure as hell not an economist. Had they put the breaks on or even keep interest rates where they were the crash would have been less dramatic. But it's OK, because many rich did well.

Tahuyaman
06-02-2019, 10:49 PM
Correct. So long as they don't get caught up in schemes like mortgage backed securities and junk bonds.
Local or regional banks aren't likely to get involved in such schemes.

Tahuyaman
06-02-2019, 10:50 PM
The Fed didn't cause it. The congress caused it. The Fed couldn't prevent it.

Dr. Who
06-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Sadly the regulations have been relaxed and they are up to no good again. Check out the explosion of class action suits against the banks, if you are wondering.

Common
06-03-2019, 03:30 AM
My entire life ive heard decade after decade another depression is coming. Constant claims by those experts that are supposed to know that theres a recession coming. I have seen the market up, Ive seen it crash in the thousands of points. Ive seen it rise meteorically. Ive seen interest rates on mortgages that were 18% during Jimmy Carter and interest rates that were slightly under 1%., I dont get excited until it affects me because theres no amount of worrying about it can change it or stop it.

Peter1469
06-03-2019, 04:50 AM
Sadly the regulations have been relaxed and they are up to no good again. Check out the explosion of class action suits against the banks, if you are wondering.

Yes. The only good thing is that banks have to keep larger deposits on hand.

DGUtley
06-03-2019, 07:21 AM
They kept lowering interest rates into the teeth of the housing "boom" aka out of control inflation. Hence keeping the run going longer and creating the need for a larger "market correction". I even called it and I'm sure as hell not an economist. Had they put the breaks on or even keep interest rates where they were the crash would have been less dramatic. But it's OK, because many rich did well.

http://www.aei.org/publication/how-the-fed-helped-cause-the-housing-bubble-and-financial-crisis/

https://mises.org/library/evidence-fed-caused-housing-boom

I don't know that many rich did well -- but maybe didn't lose like the rest of us did.

Tahuyaman
06-03-2019, 04:19 PM
My entire life ive heard decade after decade another depression is coming. Constant claims by those experts that are supposed to know that theres a recession coming. I have seen the market up, Ive seen it crash in the thousands of points. Ive seen it rise meteorically. Ive seen interest rates on mortgages that were 18% during Jimmy Carter and interest rates that were slightly under 1%., I dont get excited until it affects me because theres no amount of worrying about it can change it or stop it.
Something of the magnitude of The Great Depression can't happen again.

I've never seen mortgage rates under 1%.

Peter1469
06-03-2019, 04:23 PM
http://www.aei.org/publication/how-the-fed-helped-cause-the-housing-bubble-and-financial-crisis/

I don't know that many rich did well -- but maybe didn't lose like the rest of us did.
When a $20M house drops 25% that hurts.

Peter1469
06-03-2019, 04:25 PM
Something of the magnitude of The Great Depression can't happen again.

I've never seen mortgage rates under 1%.
We have social welfare programs in place that we did not have during the great depression. However if there is a currency collapse, all bets are off.

Tahuyaman
06-03-2019, 04:25 PM

I'm not what you would call rich, but I did fairly well during the bad years of the mortgage crisis and economic downturn.

Tahuyaman
06-03-2019, 04:34 PM
We have social welfare programs in place that we did not have during the great depression. However if there is a currency collapse, all bets are off.
If and when the debt bomb explodes, people who have failed to save and invest wisely will be severely hurt. People like me who always lived within their means and prepared for the future will be fine.

Peter1469
06-03-2019, 05:03 PM
If and when the debt bomb explodes, people who have failed to save and invest wisely will be severely hurt. People like me who always lived within their means and prepared for the future will be fine. Unless they seize money from large accounts like in Cyprus. But that is not likely to affect you if you keep every account under $150K. Which I do.

Tahuyaman
06-03-2019, 05:17 PM
Unless they seize money from large accounts like in Cyprus. But that is not likely to affect you if you keep every account under $150K. Which I do.

I don't, but that's a quick easy fix if you suspect a problem is looming.

Trumpster
06-09-2019, 11:28 AM

Geez, all I did was tell the truth and it set off a firestorm! Peter thinks I need more meat in my diet to open up my brain, but notice he didn't say that the above statement is untrue. It's a true statement, yet Captdon and mister D thanked him. Do you remember on another board I stated that too much red meat can promote dememtia because of excess accumulation of heme iron in the brain? Well, here we are with a good illustration of the effects and, unfortunately, it may be too late to reverse it.

One thing I forgot to mention is that IGF1 in animal protein speeds up the aging process because it speeds up the turnover of cells. :grampa:

Have a nice day!

Trumpster
06-09-2019, 11:42 AM

Fire up the brain? That's inflammation. No thank you.

Trumpster
06-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. I could say a lot more on the subject of health and nutrition but it might send the "meat-heads" over the edge. :smiley20:

MisterVeritis
06-09-2019, 11:53 AM
Pork him!

Trumpster
06-09-2019, 11:59 AM
True.

But he drank the Kool-aid on nutrition. He needs to break free of the medical establishment on that.

What medical establishment? It's just the result of scientific studies.

While you're at it, tell me who backs you up.

MisterVeritis
06-09-2019, 12:02 PM

What was the author's first subtle argument? We need the government to regulate everything! He objects to the way entrepreneurs have worked around the damage government regulations do. So he wants more (everything) to be regulated.

Ugh. Hell no. We need far less regulation. Not more.

Peter1469
06-09-2019, 12:24 PM
Fire up the brain? That's inflammation. No thank you.
Grass fed beef will give you the perfect Omega 6:3 ratio- no inflammation needed.

Trumpster
06-14-2019, 03:40 PM
Grass fed beef will give you the perfect Omega 6:3 ratio- no inflammation needed.

No animal protein needed, I already have the perfect ratio with my current diet.

DGUtley
06-14-2019, 04:24 PM
….about that credit bubble...?