PDA

View Full Version : Republican Candidates Boycott Univision Debate For Wrong Reason—While Hispanderi

Mister D
11-09-2011, 12:52 PM
In the last election cycle, the Spanish-language Univision network brought things to a new level by hosting Spanish debates (or forums if you please) in Spanish. It’s not that the candidates themselves were speaking Spanish, but it was directly translated to Spanish and designed for a Spanish-speaking audience.

Univision held one for the Democrats (read about it here) and then one for the Republican candidates (read about it here.)

The only candidate of either party to refuse on principle to participate was Tom Tancredo. And here’s what he had to say about it:

"It is the law that to become a naturalized citizen of this country you must have knowledge and understanding of English, including a basic ability to read, write, and speak the language. So what may I ask are our presidential candidates doing participating in a Spanish-speaking debate? Bilingualism is a great asset for any individual, but it has perilous consequences for a nation. As such, a Spanish debate has no place in a presidential campaign."

[Tancredo: GOP Candidates 'Pandering' At Spanish-Language Debate, AP, The Denver Channel.Com December 8, 2007]

Right on, Mr. Tancredo! But alas, not a one of the other candidates four years ago understood that.

Now, in 2011, it appears there won’t be a Univision Debate for the Democrats. Obama looks to have the nomination sewn up—what’s the point?

The Univision folks would like to have a Republican Debate, but it appears that they won’t be able to this time—because there is a boycott by the candidates against Univision.

Unfortunately, it’s for the wrong reason.

Continues

http://www.vdare.com/articles/republican-candidates-boycott-univision-debate-for-the-wrong-reason-while-hispandering-on-t

Conley
11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Interesting stuff.

Do you think the Republican candidates are more conservative this time around?

I am surprised candidates like Romney, Perry and Paul would not go for it.

Edit: Never mind, I read further and see they are against Univision for the story on Rubio.

Looks like Telemundo will step in to fill the void.

Mister D
11-09-2011, 02:36 PM
Interesting stuff.

Do you think the Republican candidates are more conservative this time around?

I am surprised candidates like Romney, Perry and Paul would not go for it.

Edit: Never mind, I read further and see they are against Univision for the story on Rubio.

Looks like Telemundo will step in to fill the void.

Yeah, what a farce. ::) I think this party has been ideologically compromised.

Conley
11-09-2011, 02:57 PM
Yes. Really I think both parties have strayed far from their original ideology. In theory both had noble causes but the reality is that corruption and self-interest have rotted the very core of the leadership on both sides. I'm sure it's been that way for years but it seems the cancer has grown.

Mister D
11-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Yes. Really I think both parties have strayed far from their original ideology. In theory both had noble causes but the reality is that corruption and self-interest have rotted the very core of the leadership on both sides. I'm sure it's been that way for years but it seems the cancer has grown.

It may be (at least in part) that we've both only been payng attention for a decade or so. Itr's our fault as a people though. I agree with Grumpy on that. They are a reflection of us.

jgreer
11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
OK, remove your lips from Grumpy's hindparts and listen up.

There's nothing wrong with translating the debate. That already happens with most tv shows, probably all of them. Like it or not people vote who don't speak English as well as Spanish. Until you get the laws changed (hint - you wont) you will have to deal with spanish speakers voting. They are citizens and have the same rights that english speakers do.

Mister D
11-09-2011, 03:45 PM
OK, remove your lips from Grumpy's hindparts and listen up.

There's nothing wrong with translating the debate. That already happens with most tv shows, probably all of them. Like it or not people vote who don't speak English as well as Spanish. Until you get the laws changed (hint - you wont) you will have to deal with spanish speakers voting. They are citizens and have the same rights that english speakers do.

Grumpy hasn't even posted here. :D Drunk again, greer? Dude, slow down.

"It is the law that to become a naturalized citizen of this country you must have knowledge and understanding of English, including a basic ability to read, write, and speak the language. So what may I ask are our presidential candidates doing participating in a Spanish-speaking debate? Bilingualism is a great asset for any individual, but it has perilous consequences for a nation. As such, a Spanish debate has no place in a presidential campaign."

Moreover, as the Spanish speaking brown underclass grows the welfare state becomes less and less sustainable. Many on the business friendly right wuold applaud you. ;)