PDA

View Full Version : Voting. Who should be allowed to vote?

MisterVeritis
06-09-2019, 11:52 AM
In the US we do all we can to expand the numbers and categories of people who may vote. Why?

Who should be allowed to vote? And why?

In the US, with a few exceptions all adult citizens are allowed to vote. Should they be?

Should we allow the young the vote? At what age should the young be considered adults? Should we decide on one age and make that the age when they are allowed to buy weapons, purchase alcohol, tobacco and cannabis? Should that be the same age when they are no longer allowed to remain on their parent's health insurance?

What about dullards? Should voters be given IQ tests to determine if they are smart enough to vote? When someone becomes mentally impaired should we remove their voting rights?

Should we allow people a vote when they pay no taxes? When one is a ward of the state should one's right to vote be removed?

I have opinions on all of these questions. Before I give mine I want to hear from others.

Peter1469
06-09-2019, 12:22 PM
I would like to see IQ tests to vote.

MisterVeritis
06-09-2019, 12:26 PM
Me too. One hundred and below = no vote.

bulletbob
No iq test .
Only citizens.
Id like to see the age raised to 21 most of us at 18 make rash decisions.
Paying taxs is not a prerequisite for voting rights.
Id have to think more about the health care

Standing Wolf
As long as any changes to voter eligibility remain in the hands of elected officials, "dullards" will most definitely not be excluded. They are far too valuable a resource for those folks.

As far as age goes, there is much to be said for the idea that if a citizen is old enough to enlist in the military, buy alcohol and tobacco or enter into a legal contract, they should be entitled to vote. (I realize that in many states the required ages for those three things are not the same, and I don't agree with that disparity, either.)

Peter1469
06-09-2019, 12:32 PM
No iq test .
Only citizens.
Id like to see the age raised to 21 most of us at 18 make rash decisions.
Paying taxs is not a prerequisite for voting rights.
Id have to think more about the health care

If you don't pay federal income taxes, you don't vote in federal elections.

MisterVeritis
06-09-2019, 12:33 PM
As long as any changes to voter eligibility remain in the hands of elected officials, "dullards" will most definitely not be excluded. They are far too valuable a resource for those folks.
I agree with your assessment. I was asking about what should be. To "fix" the problem we shall require an amendment.

As far as age goes, there is much to be said for the idea that if a citizen is old enough to enlist in the military, buy alcohol and tobacco or enter into a legal contract, they should be entitled to vote. (I realize that in many states the required ages for those three things are not the same, and I don't agree with that disparity, either.)
I like the idea of a single age for all adult things. Weapons, tobacco, alcohol, cannabis, military, contracts, marriage, and voting. I would like that age to be 25.

Standing Wolf
06-09-2019, 12:45 PM
I agree with your assessment. I was asking about what should be. To "fix" the problem we shall require an amendment.

I like the idea of a single age for all adult things. Weapons, tobacco, alcohol, cannabis, military, contracts, marriage, and voting. I would like that age to be 25.

Setting the age for any of those things at an age that high will never happen - not in our society - for any number of reasons. I get it that you're asking about folks' preferences and opinions and not about what is actually likely to happen in the real world, but in a country where you have some people under twenty who are more knowledgeable about the issues and more mature in their judgments than other people who are twice or three times their age, it just isn't logical to set the age for voting (or most if not all of those other things) so artificially high.

MisterVeritis
06-09-2019, 01:19 PM
Setting the age for any of those things at an age that high will never happen - not in our society - for any number of reasons. I get it that you're asking about folks' preferences and opinions and not about what is actually likely to happen in the real world, but in a country where you have some people under twenty who are more knowledgeable about the issues and more mature in their judgments than other people who are twice or three times their age, it just isn't logical to set the age for voting (or most if not all of those other things) so artificially high.
At age 25 most people have fully formed brains. That is not the case at age 21. I doubt there are many people who have wisdom at age 20. And certainly not the maturity necessary to determine the nation's course. Age 25 is perfect.

Age eighteen is far too young. :laugh:

Don29palms
06-09-2019, 01:22 PM
If the mentally impaired and low IQ citizens couldn't vote that would completely disqualify all the demonrats.

MisterVeritis
06-09-2019, 01:31 PM
If the mentally impaired and low IQ citizens couldn't vote that would completely disqualify all the demonrats.
Not all. Many.

Common
06-09-2019, 01:33 PM
I read this thread and wanted so badly to start a commotion but I refrained, then I was going to post it again and I refrained, then I said ah the hell with it if they cant take a joke.

Who should be able to vote- White men over 30yr old with a work history :)

Sergeant Gleed
06-09-2019, 01:57 PM
Citizens.

Only citizens.

Who are older than 25.

Who cab read English, as determined by reading a sample at the polling place.

Those literate Americans also have to be employed or demonstrate an income sufficient to be ineligible fir welfare.

And they have to be able to physically get to the polling place and physically present their ID proving their citizenship, and provide a bill or similar document with theur current address.

People who oppose this are racist sexist trash traitors.

Sergeant Gleed
06-09-2019, 02:05 PM

No, bad idea. The complexity and responsibilities are all different.

Driving at sixteen, fine. Any kid should be able to handle that.

Drinking at 18. Wasn't a problem when I was 18. Cut theur balls off if they try to drive.

Owning a gun 14. No more complicated than driving. "Don't shoot people" is such a difficult lesson to learn.

Voting...very complicated and should only be undertaken by Americans who have jobs and bills to pay. 25 is too young.

Tahuyaman
06-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Highly intelligent people can also be very uninformed.

Peter1469
06-09-2019, 02:28 PM
Highly intelligent people can also be very uninformed.
True.

MisterVeritis
06-09-2019, 03:21 PM
I believe a voter should have to prove they are a net taxpayer at a specific government level to be eligible to vote at that level. For example, one ought to have to prove one is paying property taxes to vote on representatives on school boards and the government entities who oversee them. Only people who pay the tax should be allowed to vote for tax rate changes.

How it would work would have to be worked out.

Those on welfare programs should be ineligible to vote at any level of government where representatives are elected to change benefits.

Captain Obvious
06-09-2019, 03:50 PM
Yeah, things really went to shit when them dammed blacks and women started voting...

Captdon
06-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Voting should be for adults. That's 18 as long as you can die in uniform.

People in any institution should not have the right to vote.

People who cannot name all the major candidates shouldn't be allowed to vote. (Some thought should go into a vote.)

Sergeant Gleed
06-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Yeah, things really went to $#@! when them dammed blacks and women started voting...

The blacks started voting for Americans, and the Democrats invented the Ku Klux Klan to stop that.

Chris
06-09-2019, 04:59 PM
If you don't pay federal income taxes, you don't vote in federal elections.

I'd like to see something along those lines, some sort of proportional voting where the value of your vote depends on how much you contribute, on whether and how much you have a stake in the game.

Lummy
06-09-2019, 08:15 PM
I think the voting age should be raised to 51.

AZ Jim
06-09-2019, 09:54 PM
I think the voting age should be raised to 51.Make it 83 and I'll agree.

MisterVeritis
06-10-2019, 10:28 AM
I think the voting age should be raised to 51.
I see we descended into goofiness...

Standing Wolf
06-10-2019, 10:31 AM

Look on the bright side. Some threads start at goofiness and descend from there.

MisterVeritis
06-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Look on the bright side. Some threads start at goofiness and descend from there.
This one did not start goofy. But it has taken an unnecessary downward turn.

Standing Wolf
06-10-2019, 10:38 AM

Honestly, MV, I understand that you're serious about setting the age for things like drinking and marrying at 25, but to most folks THAT is going to seem, at a minimum, goofy.

MisterVeritis
06-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Honestly, MV, I understand that you're serious about setting the age for things like drinking and marrying at 25, but to most folks THAT is going to seem, at a minimum, goofy.
Why do you bother to come here? Discussions about who should be allowed to vote and at what age are political questions. This is a board designed for political discussions.

Perhaps you should search for a more suitable board. Knitting.com perhaps?

bulletbob
06-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Why yes 83 for democrats would be right 21 for republicans

jimmyz
06-10-2019, 12:44 PM
If a citizen receives any State or Federal welfare of any kind including Medicaid they should be ineligible to vote.

Non-citizens should be ineligible PERIOD.

Standing Wolf
06-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Why do you bother to come here? Discussions about who should be allowed to vote and at what age are political questions. This is a board designed for political discussions.

Huh? You're offended to the above extent because I suggested that the idea of making adult American citizens wait till they're 25 to get married might seem goofy to a lot of folks?

Sorry you're having a bad day, MV. Hope you feel better soon.

Tahuyaman
06-10-2019, 01:07 PM
Huh? You're offended to the above extent because I suggested that the idea of making adult American citizens wait till they're 25 to get married might seem goofy to a lot of folks?

On this one I agree with you. MV's age idea is dumb not just goofy. People of adult age should not be forbidden to marry.

The Xl
06-10-2019, 01:12 PM
Age of adulthood. That is all

Sergeant Gleed
06-10-2019, 01:31 PM
On this one I agree with you. MV's age idea is dumb not just goofy. People of adult age should not be forbidden to marry.

You mean men should not be barred from marrying women if they are of legal age.

Sergeant Gleed
06-10-2019, 01:38 PM

For voting it's not a bad age.

Children in college shouldn't be allowed to vote.

When the Republic was first founded, the voting age wasn't terribly young...it varied by state, I couldn't give you a specific age.

Let's assume it was 21, like it was until the 60's.

The mean mortality age of the colonials was close to fifty. Ergo, someone had to live 40% of their life before they could vote.

Today the mean mortality age is 77.

Using thst same rule, then the minimum voting age would be 31.

And you now whst? The colonial 21 year old would be more mature thsn the modern 31 year old.

Standing Wolf
06-10-2019, 01:40 PM
You mean men should not be barred from marrying women if they are of legal age.

Sure, Sarge. By all means, let some agent of the government do a pre-licensing inspection to make sure that a couple has "one of each" before being allowed to participate in a public, taxpayer-supported institution. Makes perfect sense.

Sergeant Gleed
06-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Sure, Sarge. By all means, let some agent of the government do a pre-licensing inspection to make sure that a couple has "one of each" before being allowed to participate in a public, taxpayer-supported institution. Makes perfect sense.

Yes, it does make sense, doesn't it.

Glad you agree.

Tahuyaman
06-10-2019, 01:57 PM
When it comes to voting, I can see developing a requirement where one must demonstrate that they have a basic understanding as to the constitutional restraints on government and the function of each branch.

MisterVeritis
06-10-2019, 02:19 PM

Offended? No. But I do wonder why you bother to come here.

MisterVeritis
06-10-2019, 02:25 PM

We already define 26 as the age when children become adults. Why?

There is nothing goofy about selecting one age for adulthood. I chose age 25 because that is when our brains are finally fully formed. Prior to that males, as part of juvenile maleness, engage in risky behavior.

Prior to age 25 an adult would have to give consent. If you want to join the military a parent would have to agree. If you want to sign a contract prior to 25 a parent would have to also sign.

If you prefer some other age for adulthood name the age and make your case.

FindersKeepers
06-10-2019, 02:37 PM

I think a short test to determine that you actually know who the candidates are should be required, and you should be paying federal taxes if you're going to vote. I also think voting age should be 21.

Standing Wolf
06-10-2019, 02:37 PM

Offended? No. But I do wonder why you bother to come here.

And you ask me this because I don't agree with you about something? Kind of reminds me of the person who told me the other day that a topic was none of my business because I didn't have the same view of it that he did. Do you find it that uncomfortable, disturbing or confusing to hear (or read) opinions that differ from your own?

Mister D
06-10-2019, 02:41 PM
And you ask me this because I don't agree with you about something? Kind of reminds me of the person who told me the other day that a topic was none of my business because I didn't have the same view of it that he did. Do you find it that uncomfortable, disturbing or confusing to hear (or read) opinions that differ from your own?

No one told you that. You purposely interpreted my comment that way because playing the fool is easier than acknowledging your hypocrisy.

Lummy

I also think women should vote only if they are married and only for candidates that have their husband's vote. Pretty simple, really. I don't understand why anyone would consider that "goofy", or whatever. It would help stabilize both government and society.

Discussions about who should be allowed to vote and at what age are political questions. This is a board designed for political discussions.

Now that's goofy. :facepalm:

If a citizen receives any State or Federal welfare of any kind including Medicaid they should be ineligible to vote.

Non-citizens should be ineligible PERIOD.

Hmm ... that might be a great idea. But they would no doubt vote to abolish welfare, social security and Medicaid. LOL.

Age of adulthood. That is all

Do you have any real science to back up the rationale of 21 as the legal age? No.

I really don't think people are mature enough to vote at 21, and the only reason they vote at 18 since 1970 is due to political rewarding Vietnam and the stone-solid logic of "old enough to fight, old enough to vote". That is just goofy, but then so were the times.

I don't know why 21 is legal. Frankly, many people haven't finished playing video games by 31, or are yet aware enough to vote at 41.

Nothing goofy to see here, folks. Please move along.

FindersKeepers

I would support a higher age for voting, weapons, and contracts. I wouldn't support it for marriage, because too many young women get pregnant and I think it's better for a baby to be born in to a two-parent family, if possible.

DGUtley
06-10-2019, 02:50 PM
I want all citizens to vote. I hope that they educate themselves, but I can't force it. I am against packing up the busses with food, driving around the neighborhoods and luring people to the polls with sandwiches etc. I have seen it. I think it should be illegal. If you don't care enough to vote on your own initiative then don't vote. I never miss a vote. It is important to me. Very important to me. In my book, if you didn't vote, you can't Pelosi about the results.

I am against illegals voting.
I am against non-citizens voting.
I am ok with the voting age of 18.
I like the Electoral College as part of the fundamental bargain of our Republic. If you want to change it, Ohio may opt out.
I like but don't think we should have all of this early voting -- it waters down the importance of voting to me. Make time. Go do it. Or do it by mail in ballot. Take action folks.

MisterVeritis
06-10-2019, 02:51 PM
You might be confused. As long as you were discussing, we were fine. Once you became dismissive, then I see no reason for you to be here.

Lummy
06-10-2019, 02:54 PM
I think the age for gun ownership and use could easily be lowered to 12-14 years, myself. I know for fact that when guns are all around in a gun-friendly environment, they are ignored. But should it be or can it be? In this society? Now?

I think age of consent for sex and liquor could be lowered to that same age range but for the fact that our shit media and shit democrats make shit up and conjure up all sorts of demons, and people just go with it -- in the interest of progress, of course.

Lummy
06-10-2019, 03:02 PM
The media and democrates are 100% to account for how fucked up things have gotten.

Tahuyaman
06-10-2019, 03:05 PM
You might be confused. As long as you were discussing, we were fine. Once you became dismissive, then I see no reason for you to be here.
Hold it! You are continually dismissive of views you disagree with. You should alter your behavior before you advise others.

MisterVeritis
06-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Hold it! You are continually dismissive of views you disagree with. You should alter your behavior before you advise others.
Hold it yourself. Review the thread. I dismissed no one's views or posts. Standing Wolf threw the first punch. Of course you followed. It is what you do.

I noticed you have not yet made a case for some age other than 25. Do you plan to?

Standing Wolf
06-10-2019, 03:35 PM
No one told you that. You purposely interpreted my comment that way because playing the fool is easier than acknowledging your hypocrisy.

Nonsense. All I did was to disagree with you and to state my opinion that many people would consider an attempt to up the legal age for voting, marrying, drinking alcohol, etc. to 25 to be "goofy". If that wasn't the thing that set you off, what was it?

Standing Wolf
06-10-2019, 03:38 PM

http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7358/13895656939_aca73ef243.jpg

Tahuyaman
06-10-2019, 03:51 PM
Nonsense. All I did was to disagree with you and to state my opinion that many people would consider an attempt to up the legal age for voting, marrying, drinking alcohol, etc. to 25 to be "goofy". If that wasn't the thing that set you off, what was it?

Right and I agreed with you. MV can’t handle disagreement.

donttread
06-10-2019, 04:59 PM
In the US we do all we can to expand the numbers and categories of people who may vote. Why?

Who should be allowed to vote? And why?

In the US, with a few exceptions all adult citizens are allowed to vote. Should they be?

Should we allow the young the vote? At what age should the young be considered adults? Should we decide on one age and make that the age when they are allowed to buy weapons, purchase alcohol, tobacco and cannabis? Should that be the same age when they are no longer allowed to remain on their parent's health insurance?

What about dullards? Should voters be given IQ tests to determine if they are smart enough to vote? When someone becomes mentally impaired should we remove their voting rights?

Should we allow people a vote when they pay no taxes? When one is a ward of the state should one's right to vote be removed?

I have opinions on all of these questions. Before I give mine I want to hear from others.

You will never see one age of adulthood at 21 for two reasons.
1) Twenty one is an impractical age to use as the age of sexual consent.
2) We have a war like government that would not tolerate being made to wait until people were 21 before they could enlist.
So I think an age of 18 to vote is fine. All adults citizens should be able to vote with the exception of those who are not mentally capable and are legally judged to not be self directing or currently in jail/prison or probation/parole or out on a CD.

donttread
06-10-2019, 05:01 PM

I think civics courses in HS would be more productive.

Standing Wolf
06-10-2019, 05:24 PM

So, too, would courses in logic and the law. Naturally, politicians would be opposed to any of those subjects being given more emphasis in schools. Logic in particular. Working against their own interests, you know.

Tahuyaman
06-10-2019, 05:36 PM
It depends on how that civics course is presented.

Sergeant Gleed
06-10-2019, 05:38 PM

First, fire all the Democrats, Greenies, lesbians and eyc, so the schools can start putting positive role models in front of the children.

Mister D
06-10-2019, 06:20 PM

Wrong guy, old timer. Tahu thanked you. That made me smile.

Peter1469
06-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Even when high school graduates need remedial math and English in college?

Dr. Who
06-10-2019, 11:19 PM
I also think women should vote only if they are married and only for candidates that have their husband's vote. Pretty simple, really. I don't understand why anyone would consider that "goofy", or whatever. It would help stabilize both government and society.
Did you accidentally walk through a worm hole and end up in the 21st century?

Cthulhu
06-11-2019, 04:58 AM
"Service guarantees citizenship..."

Sent from my evil cell phone.