PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz slanders war hero and embarrasses the State of Texas

Cigar
02-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Ted Cruz slanders war hero, embarrasses Texas and violates Armed Services Committee tradition

The Senate Armed Services Committee has a long and proud tradition of bipartisan statesmanship that was violated by the Tea Party freshman senator who tried to smear a war hero who not only served his country with courage but also has battled for veterans and military families in Texas and nationally for a generation.

Nationally, the shameful performance by Cruz, who acted like Joe McCarthy in short pants with his insults of war hero Hagel, illustrates why Republicans keep losing elections, why the Republican and Tea Party brands are in such disrepute, and why the so-called Republican reboot (which I have called the Republican retoot) is still not close to credible.

In Texas, veteran voters know that Hagel is enthusiastically supported by the American Legion, the Veterans of Foreign Wars and groups speaking for veterans of Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. Presumably while Hagel was battling as a decorated war hero and fighting for all living veterans, Cruz was being cheered at Tea Party seminars and eating popcorn at war movies.

Cruz's performance at Armed Services was disgraceful and appalling. He violated the proud tradition of a great bipartisan committee and did no service to the countless veterans and war heroes of Texas and the nation who know that Hagel is a great friend and member of the band of brothers and sisters who serve Texas and America with valor.

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/lawmaker-news/282819-ted-cruz-slanders-war-hero-embarrasses-texas-and-violates-armed-services-committee-tradition-

Yep folks ... we're starting to see the really best of Republican Leadership

Private Pickle
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Who is Ted Cruz?

Cigar
02-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Who is Ted Cruz?

Just another Tea Party Nut :grin:

Cigar
02-14-2013, 10:50 AM
Reid To GOP: ‘Serious Consequences’ To Delaying Hagel Nomination

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) announced Thursday on the floor that the chamber will hold a vote Friday on the confirmation of Chuck Hagel.

"In less than two hours, our country will be without a secretary of defense," he said. "The filibuster of Senator Hagel's confirmation is unprecedented. I repeat, not a single nominee for secretary of defense, ever in the history of our country, has been filibustered. Never, ever."

"There are serious consequences to this delay," Reid said. "It sends a terrible signal not only to our military personnel but to the world. ... For the sake of our national security it's time to put aside this political theater."

"This isn't a high school getting ready for a football game. We're trying to confirm somebody to run the defenses of our country -- the military of our country."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/reid-to-gop-serious-consequences-to-delaying-hagel

What's different ... we have a Black President ... that's what's different.

http://www.reverendphantomreviews.com/review_images/blackenstein/blackenstein.jpg

Otherwise we would not be having this conversation

Chris
02-14-2013, 11:03 AM
So what did Cruz say?

JackRuby
02-14-2013, 12:15 PM
The state of Texas IS an embarassment.

Jack

Private Pickle
02-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Just another Tea Party Nut :grin:

Oh...so not part of GOP leadership?

Chris
02-14-2013, 12:19 PM
The state of Texas IS an embarassment.

Jack

Nice, slam, jack.

Chris
02-14-2013, 12:23 PM
Oh...so not part of GOP leadership?

No, in fact he defeated the GOP candidate Lt Governor David Dewhurst in the Rep primary.

Just don't get why Dems fear the tea parties when it's the Reps who need to fear them.

Cigar
02-14-2013, 12:26 PM
No, in fact he defeated the GOP candidate Lt Governor David Dewhurst in the Rep primary.

Just don't get why Dems fear the tea parties when it's the Reps who need to fear them.

I love the tea party ... I wish they got more press.

JackRuby
02-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Nice, slam, jack.

What's the big mystery? Everyone knows Texas is through.

Jack

bladimz
02-14-2013, 02:58 PM
I think is was on one of the recent "30 Rock" episodes, where Jack Doughnety (sp?) said (paraphrasing), "they should saw Florida off and let it crash into Cuba." I suggest the same with Texas, if only it were possible. (Geographically, it's not possible; but a guy can wish, can't he?).

bladimz
02-14-2013, 03:00 PM

You need to recognize the difference between fear and disgust, Chris.

Chris
02-14-2013, 03:04 PM
What's the big mystery? Everyone knows Texas is through.

Jack

Be specific, ruby. Vague generalities mean little.

Chris
02-14-2013, 03:05 PM
You need to recognize the difference between fear and disgust, Chris.

It is fear/disgust of what the tea parties are truly about or some straw man the media has created? What is it scares/disgusts you?

Chris
02-14-2013, 03:06 PM
I think is was on one of the recent "30 Rock" episodes, where Jack Doughnety (sp?) said (paraphrasing), "they should saw Florida off and let it crash into Cuba." I suggest the same with Texas, if only it were possible. (Geographically, it's not possible; but a guy can wish, can't he?).

And you have what against Texas? Hope you're not trolling like ruby.

bladimz
02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
And you have what against Texas? Hope you're not trolling like ruby.Well, Dallas, Texas, 1963 started it for me... Texas' seems to have no interest in maintaining a public education program. They ranked (2011) 47th in literacy and 49th in verbal skills. Constant threats of secession, acting like the tough-guy on the block yet ready to leave town when they get mad. The heat, the never-ending mile-after-mile nothingness.

bladimz
02-14-2013, 03:44 PM
It is fear/disgust of what the tea parties are truly about or some straw man the media has created? What is it scares/disgusts you?What disgusts me (no fear involved) is that the obvious intent of the Koch Bros. in their creation of the TEA party is purposely masked as a grass-roots "i-want-my-country-back", "No-More-Taxes" movement. Specifically, what really disgusts me is that the "creators" of the TP are simply using their deep-pockets to further their personal political agenda, using the TP as their front.

Chris
02-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Well, Dallas, Texas, 1963 started it for me... Texas' seems to have no interest in maintaining a public education program. They ranked (2011) 47th in literacy and 49th in verbal skills. Constant threats of secession, acting like the tough-guy on the block yet ready to leave town when they get mad. The heat, the never-ending mile-after-mile nothingness.

You can't blame 63 on TX. Education, NCLB was a combination of Bush working with liberals here before he became President and worked with Dems like Kennedy--did you really think such a liberal program would amount to anything. Secession would be a good thing. The heat, OK, I'll give you the heat, right now it's a burning 66° and sunny, terrible!

Chris
02-14-2013, 03:56 PM
What disgusts me (no fear involved) is that the obvious intent of the Koch Bros. in their creation of the TEA party is purposely masked as a grass-roots "i-want-my-country-back", "No-More-Taxes" movement. Specifically, what really disgusts me is that the "creators" of the TP are simply using their deep-pockets to further their personal political agenda, using the TP as their front.

OK, so your disgust is with a straw man. The Kochs didn't create the tea parties.

Carygrant
02-14-2013, 04:00 PM
How does Texarse ?

Mister D
02-14-2013, 04:02 PM
How does Texarse ?

Not bad. Her economy isn't much smaller than yours. :laugh:

bladimz
02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
OK, so your disgust is with a straw man. The Kochs didn't create the tea parties.Sez you. Us progressives know different.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brendan-demelle/study-confirms-tea-party-_b_2663125.html

Mister D
02-14-2013, 04:04 PM
Well, Dallas, Texas, 1963 started it for me... Texas' seems to have no interest in maintaining a public education program. They ranked (2011) 47th in literacy and 49th in verbal skills. Constant threats of secession, acting like the tough-guy on the block yet ready to leave town when they get mad. The heat, the never-ending mile-after-mile nothingness.

Blad, you do realize that massive Latino migration more than explains those numbers right?

Chris
02-14-2013, 04:05 PM
How does Texarse ?

Don't know. It's your imagination, you tell us.

Chris
02-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Sez you. Us progressives know different.

Gotta link, mister.

JackRuby
02-14-2013, 04:10 PM

Give Texas back to Santa Ana. Consider how much better off America would be without Texas, Californication and Florida. I'll be general. They suck!

Jack

bladimz
02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Blad, you do realize that massive Latino migration more than explains those numbers right?
Sure... Like Texas is working hard to improve their educational programs. HA!

Mister D
02-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Sure... it's still Texas just the same.

No, actually it's looking more like Mexico every year.

bladimz
02-14-2013, 04:28 PM
Give Texas back to Santa Ana. Consider how much better off America would be without Texas, Californication and Florida. I'll be general. They suck!

JackThere'd be a heluva lot less whining...

Mister D
02-14-2013, 04:29 PM

Latinos don't do well anywhere. Including Pennsylvania. It's not as big a burden on you because there aren't as many.

Mister D
02-14-2013, 04:29 PM
There'd be a heluva lot less whining...

Certainly a lot less in Spanish.

Chris
02-14-2013, 04:37 PM
There'd be a heluva lot less whining...

You were just whining about texas seceding, now you want to give it away?

Carygrant
02-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Jack

What about the Heartlands ?
If Americans didn't mention them , nobody outside would know of their existence !!

Chris
02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
This is funny, 4 pages, 34 posts, and no one has said what Cruz said to slander.

BB-35
02-14-2013, 05:48 PM

In other words,just petty bull****

BB-35
02-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Sez you. Us progressives know different.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brendan-demelle/study-confirms-tea-party-_b_2663125.html

You keep using this word,I do not think it means what you think it means

Chris
02-14-2013, 05:53 PM
In other words,just petty bull****

Just trying to get a rise out of us Texans.

http://i.snag.gy/aznO5.jpg

@ Secession petition says Texas has 15th largest economy in the world (http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/dec/18/texas-petition/secession-petition-says-texas-has-15th-largest-eco/)

BB-35
02-14-2013, 05:53 PM

So prove they aren't.

JackRuby
02-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Since Texas is the execution capital of the United States, did they ever make good on Governor Perry's idea of installing electric bleachers? One jolt does it all!

Jack on the Green Mile

Cigar
02-15-2013, 07:59 AM
This is funny, 4 pages, 34 posts, and no one has said what Cruz said to slander.

Cruz and Inhofe resurrect McCarthy to smear Hagel during committee vote (http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/02/13/1186862/-Cruz-and-Inhofe-resurrect-McCarthy-to-smear-Hagel-during-committee-vote)

There were a couple of nano-moments during the run-up to the Senate Armed Services Committee vote Tuesday on Chuck Hagel's nomination for secretary of defense when it almost appeared one or two Republicans might actually favor him. Alas. When Democratic Chairman Carl Levin polled the members, the vote was strictly party line, 14-11, with Sen. David Vitter away and unable to cast the 12th vote against his fellow Republican, a fellow widely seen in the GOP as a renegade for his semi-dovish foreign policy views and endorsement of Barack Obama.

But most of the 11 at least were respectful in their opposition, taking note of Hagel's combat experience decades ago and his time as one of their colleagues. But, in a rancid McCarthyist display, Sen. Ted Cruz gave everyone a taste of the kind of reptilian behavior we can expect from the tea party-backed junior senator from Texas when he said he had serious concerns about the origin of payments Hagel had accepted for speeches he had made:

“It is at a minimum relevant to know if that $200,000 that he deposited in his bank account came directly from Saudi Arabia, came directly from North Korea.”

There ought to be a trapdoor that delivers the purveyors of such remarks directly into a chute that carries them from Capitol Hill out onto the banks of the Potomac. Democratic Sen. Bill Nelson of Florida was livid. He said Cruz had taken things too far:

"I want to put on the record that this senator feels like that Sen. Cruz has gone over the line. He basically has impugned the patriotism of the nominee—in your conclusions, which you are entitled to come to, about him, in essence, being cozy with Iran."

But Oklahoma Sen. Jim Inhofe, one of Hagel's main GOP critics, defended Cruz, noting that those who had suggested the nominee was “cozy” with terrorist states had a point in their favor since Iran had expressed support for Hagel's nomination. “He’s endorsed by them. You can’t get any cozier than that.” It was the turn of Sen. Claire McCaskill, the Missouri Democrat, to become livid: “Senator Inhofe, be careful. What if some horrible organization said tomorrow that you were the best guy that they knew?”

Actually, there is a horrible organization that might very well call Inhofe the best guy they know. It's Koch Industries, the petrochemical giant whose profits help David and Charles Koch buy puppet politicians to support their lies claiming climate change is a liberal scam.

Suggesting that a nominee for the secretary of defense post might be a traitor, beholden to a dictator such as Kim Jong-un or to the Iranian mullahs, should be grounds for censure or at least a call for a public apology, not a mere scolding. But, ironically, the Senate's famous etiquette of collegiality protects the likes of Inhofe and Cruz, and most committee members will no doubt be all smiles in their interactions with the two men at their next hearings.

Pathetic.

Chris
02-15-2013, 08:38 AM
“It is at a minimum relevant to know if that $200,000 that he deposited in his bank account came directly from Saudi Arabia, came directly from North Korea.”

It's not slander. It would be reasonable to know that.