PDA

View Full Version : High tax state exodus just beginning

Peter1469
06-21-2019, 07:06 AM
High tax state exodus just beginning (https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/high-tax-state-exodus-accelerate)

Citizens of high tax states are fleeing to better places to live. This is because of recent tax reforms that capped the state tax deduction to $10K. (I hit that cap this year). High tax states have yet to add 1+1, and have not figured out that their taxes are at confiscatory levels.

The cap on state and local tax (SALT) deductions has already begun to drive (https://www.foxbusiness.com/category/personal-finance) some residents away from high-tax (https://www.foxbusiness.com/category/taxes) states like New York and New Jersey, but experts say that trend is only going to intensify.

“It took a few months for taxpayers to realize the dollar implications – until they actually filed their tax returns this year,” Alan Goldenberg, a principal at Friedman LLP, told FOX Business. “It quantified the impact of the loss of the SALT deduction when people saw it in front of their eyes on their tax return.”

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act introduced a number of reforms, including the notorious $10,000 cap on state and local tax deductions, which has caused Americans to look into establishing legal primary residences in states where they can limit their liabilities.

Since the implementation of the law, Goldenberg said he has “certainly” had some clients relocate. Typically, these are individuals that have second homes in states with a more favorable tax climate – like Florida – along with wealthy people and individuals whose jobs do not require them to be tied to a specific location. The latter category can include people in the service industry or consultants.

States that some Americans have already begun leaving for are Florida, Texas and Nevada, all three of which have no individual income tax.

Read the rest at the link.

Hoosier8
06-21-2019, 07:24 AM
About time the federal government quits subsidizing high tax states with US debt.

donttread
06-21-2019, 07:29 AM
High tax state exodus just beginning (https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/high-tax-state-exodus-accelerate)

Citizens of high tax states are fleeing to better places to live. This is because of recent tax reforms that capped the state tax deduction to $10K. (I hit that cap this year). High tax states have yet to add 1+1, and have not figured out that their taxes are at confiscatory levels.

NYS will follow up to make sure you do your 183 days in the other state. Oh course they don't realize that taxes are merely one reason people are leaving. Over restrictive gun laws, and chasing away business and jobs are a couple more. We even made it a misdemeanor to burn your red sols cup in a campfire!

Peter1469
06-21-2019, 07:33 AM
NYS will follow up to make sure you do your 183 days in the other state. Oh course they don't realize that taxes are merely one reason people are leaving. Over restrictive gun laws, and chasing away business and jobs are a couple more. We even made it a misdemeanor to burn your red sols cup in a campfire!
Yes, New York is one of the more aggressive states in asserting that people are residents of the state. They even go after military members who entered the service as New York residents and who change that status after they are in the military.

Common
06-21-2019, 07:54 AM
The article is wrong about one thing its not just starting, its been happening, there are literally millions of New Yorkers and New Jerseyans in fla, they have been flocking out of those states for a long while, california also

On the serious side how much do democrats expect working people to take, democrats want us to pay for everyones health care, illegal immigrants education, health care give them drivers licenses. They want us to pay for everyones college and any irresponsible adult woman who gets pregnant and doesnt want a child for us to pay for her abortion and it goes on from there.

People are sick of it that get up every morning and bust their ass so they dont have to get a handout

Democrats are killing us with taxs and illegal immigrants

DGUtley
06-21-2019, 08:08 AM
The problem though is that when you bring there here; here becomes there.

Common
06-21-2019, 08:18 AM
Yes, New York is one of the more aggressive states in asserting that people are residents of the state. They even go after military members who entered the service as New York residents and who change that status after they are in the military.
Doesnt matter they are leaving NY in droves

Peter1469
06-21-2019, 11:51 AM
The article is wrong about one thing its not just starting, its been happening, there are literally millions of New Yorkers and New Jerseyans in fla, they have been flocking out of those states for a long while, california also

On the serious side how much do democrats expect working people to take, democrats want us to pay for everyones health care, illegal immigrants education, health care give them drivers licenses. They want us to pay for everyones college and any irresponsible adult woman who gets pregnant and doesnt want a child for us to pay for her abortion and it goes on from there.

People are sick of it that get up every morning and bust their ass so they dont have to get a handout

Democrats are killing us with taxs and illegal immigrants
True. But ending SALT just put salt on the wound and sped things up (pun not intended). :smiley:

Peter1469
06-21-2019, 11:52 AM
Yes. That is why Virginia went from Red to Blue.

Peter1469
06-21-2019, 11:53 AM

It matters to the high earners when NY sues them for state taxes after they have left the state. And NY does that constantly.

Collateral Damage
06-21-2019, 12:00 PM
I believe they've taken it even further than the 183 days... some claim they say if you have not 'severed ties' in NY, all income is still taxable to NY.... my short lived brush with the NY taxing authority made my relocation decision very simple.

Collateral Damage
06-21-2019, 12:03 PM

Such is my current complaint. I live in a no-income-tax state. While the influx of Northerners (of which I used to be one, 20+ years ago) is doing wonders for real estate values and the housing industry, with them comes the political bed bugs....

jimmyz
06-21-2019, 12:05 PM

And being replaced by immigrants that contribute much less to the State's tax base.

Sergeant Gleed
06-21-2019, 01:02 PM

And the Rodents do not mind because they now have two guaranteed forever Senate seats. Just like with California.

And since the Rodents insist Invaders be counted for apportionment on the Census, they won't lose any Congressional sears, either.

And many of the people fleeing the New Shithole are morons who voted for shithole don in the first place and will continue to vote for shit in their new homes, too.

Sergeant Gleed
06-21-2019, 01:03 PM
And being replaced my immigrants that contribute much less to the State's tax base.

Not to worry. The federal SNAP program finances their trips to Jack in the Box so they won't go hungry.

Reason10
06-22-2019, 12:19 PM

Hell, no! I don't want those blue state a$sholes coming down here to Florida and infecting this BALANCED BUDGET state with their idiotic left wing ideas and welfare state. You broke it, you live with it.
Move to California. Move to Washington State. Leave those of us who work for a living alone.

Reason10
06-22-2019, 12:22 PM
Such is my current complaint. I live in a no-income-tax state. While the influx of Northerners (of which I used to be one, 20+ years ago) is doing wonders for real estate values and the housing industry, with them comes the political bed bugs....

I know exactly what you mean. Here in Florida we have maybe the fastest growing economy in the country and a balanced budget. Already, the idiots have infected Broward County and now the schools aren't safe.

What in the name of Zeus's BUTTHOLE would we want with blue state migrants, screwing up our economy.

Mini Me
06-22-2019, 12:56 PM
And the Rodents do not mind because they now have two guaranteed forever Senate seats. Just like with California.

And since the Rodents insist Invaders be counted for apportionment on the Census, they won't lose any Congressional sears, either.

And many of the people fleeing the New Shithole are morons who voted for shithole don in the first place and will continue to vote for shit in their new homes, too.
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/64642202_2806794052695534_4053557986134589440_n.jp g?_nc_cat=105&_nc_oc=AQkDNktMCvtljpI2ax8i9YjJAuurii6RX6aqmyIZgBV i0FHTuVeVqP2mmDLdMUk2X0A&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=c74352d0d7eb17befdf763dfbc33ad08&oe=5DC485C5

Tahuyaman
06-22-2019, 04:04 PM
Its been my experience that when they leave one place for the other because of strangling regulations and taxation, they bring those same policies with them.

EvilCat Breath
06-24-2019, 12:49 AM
New York is dying both the city and the state.

Retirednsmilin308
06-24-2019, 03:08 AM
Hell, no! I don't want those blue state a$sholes coming down here to Florida and infecting this BALANCED BUDGET state with their idiotic left wing ideas and welfare state. You broke it, you live with it.
Move to California. Move to Washington State. Leave those of us who work for a living alone.

I moved to Florida from North Carolina and Rhode Island before that as I was in the yachting industry.
When in Florida I was told south of Jupiter, you have just left the biscuit belt and entered the BAGEL belt because so many people from the Northeast have relocated to south Florida.

It was still a blast, though. Ft. Lauderdale is sin city. Much better than overhyped Las Vegas.
In a 3 miles radius from my apartment there are at least 20 bars.
Some called it Ft. Liquordale.

MisterVeritis
06-24-2019, 12:51 PM
New York is dying both the city and the state.
Perhaps that is why they have made themselves a homeless/illegal alien magnet. They need to replace taxpaying citizens just in time for the 2020 census.