PDA

View Full Version : Year One Observations!

Admiral Ackbar
07-06-2019, 10:11 AM
I am celebrating my first year on tPF's. A few things I have observed.

1. The longest threads usually involve personal attacks on other members or the Mods.

2. There are only a few people that seem to be well read in a classical sense. By this I mean I rarely see any one try to put things in context of greater historical trends. In its place there is a lot of pseudo intellectual drivel posted.

3. There seems to be a need to report the smallest slight to the Mods. Then there is dismay when there is no satisfaction from the Mods as a result of the report.

4. Many posters lack any sense of humor, or at least it seems that way from their posts.

5. There are High School like cliques in abundance

6. A few posters go out of their way to try to post interesting topical threads and that is appreciated. More should try to do that.

For what it is worth here are my suggestions.

1. Let more stuff roll off your back. You will be happier and this place will be less hostile
2. Don't take yourself so serious here
3. Use the threads to take time to research a topic and learn more about it. Then come back and add some thoughts.

God Bless America, God Bless tPFs, God Bless all of you and God Bless Donald Trump

Captain Obvious
07-06-2019, 10:33 AM
You should have been here 3 or 4 years ago when it was a lot more diverse and active.

It's pretty much a pissy old man circle jerk now, not really worth it anymore.

Tahuyaman
07-06-2019, 02:10 PM
You should have been here 3 or 4 years ago when it was a lot more diverse and active.

It's pretty much a pissy old man circle jerk now, not really worth it anymore.
Then leave. No one is forcing you to log in here.

Standing Wolf
07-06-2019, 06:42 PM
I am celebrating my first year on tPF's. A few things I have observed.

1. The longest threads usually involve personal attacks on other members or the Mods.

2. There are only a few people that seem to be well read in a classical sense. By this I mean I rarely see any one try to put things in context of greater historical trends. In its place there is a lot of pseudo intellectual drivel posted.

3. There seems to be a need to report the smallest slight to the Mods. Then there is dismay when there is no satisfaction from the Mods as a result of the report.

4. Many posters lack any sense of humor, or at least it seems that way from their posts.

5. There are High School like cliques in abundance

6. A few posters go out of their way to try to post interesting topical threads and that is appreciated. More should try to do that.

For what it is worth here are my suggestions.

1. Let more stuff roll off your back. You will be happier and this place will be less hostile
2. Don't take yourself so serious here
3. Use the threads to take time to research a topic and learn more about it. Then come back and add some thoughts.

God Bless America, God Bless tPFs, God Bless all of you and God Bless Donald Trump

Hey, I was seriously going to give that post a Like till I got to the very end. Sorry - can't do it. But you did make a lot of valid observations and suggestions.

Unfortunately, we've all see these types of threads before - and INVARIABLY they degenerate very, very quickly into a series of posts by members praising themselves for being the reasonable ones and accusing all of their ideological "enemies" of being the trouble-makers. We even have a few members who will jump on anyone attempting to present ideas for improving the discussions here and say (paraphrasing) "That's what YOU do, hypocrite!" Afraid it's a lost cause.