PDA

View Full Version : Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar

Peter1469
07-25-2019, 04:47 AM
Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar (https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/14/murder-rates-drop-as-concealed-carry-permits-soar-/)

Or to paraphrase John Lott, more guns, less crime. Now correlation does not prove causation, but it ought not be ignored either. If the left were correct we should see more not less crime with more carry conceal.

The number of concealed carry handgun permits has skyrocketed since President Obama was first elected, while murder rates have fallen, according to a new report released Wednesday.

Since 2007, the number of concealed handgun permits has soared from 4.6 million to over 12.8 million, and murder rates have fallen from 5.6 killings per 100,000 people to just 4.2, about a 25 percent drop, according to the report from the Crime Prevention Research Center.

And the number of permits issued is increasing faster every year. Over 1.7 million new permits were issued last year — a 15.4 percent increase over 2013, the largest such single-year jump ever, according to the report from the center led by President John R. Lott and research director John E. Whitley.

The number of concealed carriers is likely even higher, since permits are not required in eight states.

Common
07-25-2019, 04:51 AM
Id bet but havent researched that in states that allow handgun ownership and carry permits have far less home invasions.

20 yrs ago home invasions were a regular occurence in the north east, in fla you rarely hear of home invasions

FindersKeepers
07-25-2019, 05:00 AM
Murder rates drop as concealed carry permits soar (https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/jul/14/murder-rates-drop-as-concealed-carry-permits-soar-/)

Or to paraphrase John Lott, more guns, less crime. Now correlation does not prove causation, but it ought not be ignored either. If the left were correct we should see more not less crime with more carry conceal.

Correlation may not prove causation, but it sure helps. While you wouldn't know it from watching the evening news, our world is becoming safer, and people who once may not have felt comfortable driving/walking somewhere after dark can now do with a bit more confidence.

My mother in law is a tiny thing, less than 5 feet with her shoes on, but she carries a handgun in her purse and she knows how to use it. I pity the fool who messes with her. The gun is a great equalizer -- and criminals know that. They know it's an instant death penalty. They know it can turn them from predatory to prey in a heartbeat. It's a good thing, since calling 911 in many areas is little more than "dial a prayer."

Peter1469
07-25-2019, 05:22 AM
Correlation may not prove causation, but it sure helps. While you wouldn't know it from watching the evening news, our world is becoming safer, and people who once may not have felt comfortable driving/walking somewhere after dark can now do with a bit more confidence.

My mother in law is a tiny thing, less than 5 feet with her shoes on, but she carries a handgun in her purse and she knows how to use it. I pity the fool who messes with her. The gun is a great equalizer -- and criminals know that. They know it's an instant death penalty. They know it can turn them from predatory to prey in a heartbeat. It's a good thing, since calling 911 in many areas is little more than "dial a prayer."
"God made man. I made man equal." Samuel Colt.

bulletbob
07-25-2019, 08:09 AM
I have a ccw permit as many of my freinds do.The last thing anyof us want to do is to have to use a firarm aginst a human.
Most of my ccw freinds have carried a fire arm as a professional.
In 10 years the only time i removed my gun from its holster was when I was in a unlighted wooded area searching for a armed robbery suspect that may have had a hostage. Even then it was in the low reasy position as was the other 2 officers with me .we searched until the swat squard shouwed up with night fision mp5 s and a helocopter with heat vision. It was our job to protect the students.