PDA

View Full Version : Memories or the lack thereof

killianr1
02-20-2013, 12:57 PM
“Already some in Congress are trying to undo these automatic spending cuts. My message to them is simple: No,” Mr. Obama said from the White House briefing room Monday evening. “I will veto any effort to get rid of those automatic spending cuts to domestic and defense spending.”

Barrack Hussein Obama Nov. 2011

The automatic spending cuts referred to are now the "sequester crisis" that is upon us. So I guess he needs to veto himself.

Cigar
02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
House Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) Monday told CBS’ Scott Pelley (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/08/01/eveningnews/main20086598.shtml?tag=exclsv) that he got almost everything he wanted in the deal to raise the debt ceiling.

“How did the grand bargain fail?” Pelley asked. “What was the breaking point? How did you tell the president you were walking away?”

“It really boiled down to two issues,” Boehner explained. “President was insisting on more taxes. President never got serious about the kind of spending cuts that were necessary in order to get America back on a sound fiscal footing.”

“You were unable to get your own caucus behind your bill a few days ago,” Pelley noted. “Do you intend to remain Speaker of the House?”
“I do,” Boehner replied. “When you look at this final agreement that we came to with the white House, I got 98 percent of what I wanted. I’m pretty happy.”

Watch this video from CBS News, broadcast Aug. 1, 2011.

http://www.rawstory.com/rawreplay/2011/08/boehner-got-98-percent-of-what-he-wanted-in-debt-deal/

waltky
05-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Don't wake Uncle Ferd whilst he's sleepin' - it makes him grouchy...
:shocked:
Dreaming brain rhythms lock in memories
Thu, 12 May 2016 - Disrupting brain activity during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep can stop mice from forming new memories, a study suggests.

Disrupting brain activity in sleeping mice, specifically during the rapid eye movement (REM) phase, can stop the animals remembering things they learned that day, a study suggests. It is the clearest evidence to date that REM sleep is critical for memory. By switching off certain brain cells, the researchers silenced a particular, rhythmic type of brain function - without waking the mice. If they did this during REM sleep, the mice failed subsequent memory tests. The research is reported in the journal Science.

REM sleep is the phase during which, at least in humans, dreams take place - but the question of whether it is important for settling new memories has been difficult to answer. Recent studies have tended to focus on deep, non-REM sleep instead, during which brain cells fire in various patterns that reflect memory consolidation and "re-play" of the day's experiences. During REM sleep, while our eyes flicker and our muscles relax, exactly what the brain is doing is something of a mystery. But it is a type of sleep seen across the animal kingdom, in mammals and birds and even lizards.

[img]http://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/320/cpsprodpb/13693/production/_89670597_168731984.jpg[img]

Especially in animals, REM phases can be quite fleeting. This and other complications have made it difficult to test what effect such sleep has. Simply waking up humans or animals when they enter the REM phase, for example, causes stress and other problems that can confound any memory tests. So Dr Sylvain Williams, from McGill University in Canada, working with colleagues at the University of Bern, Switzerland, decided to meddle directly with the sleeping brain. "What we did was we used a technique, in mice, to solely disrupt REM sleep activity," Dr Williams told BBC News.

Using the system known as "optogenetics", he and his colleagues were able to control a particular population of brain cells in the mice, just by shining light through a tiny, implanted optical fibre. Whenever they switched on the light, they drastically reduced a particular rhythm in the brain, called "theta oscillations". And if that disruption was delivered during a mouse's REM sleep, there were consequences. "Disrupting the activity only during REM sleep, and not other sleep, basically obliterates consolidation and memory formation," Dr Williams said. For example, if it was shown one brand new object and one that it had seen the day before, the mouse would thoroughly investigate both, instead of concentrating - like a normal mouse would - on the unfamiliar one.

Optogenetics: switches for brain circuits (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36275143)