PDA

View Full Version : Repeal Obamacare … Yea Right!

Cigar
02-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Scott of Florida becomes 7th GOP governor to OK Obamacare Medicaid expansion
Gov. Rick Scott announced plans Wednesday to expand Medicaid coverage to roughly 900,000 more people under the federal health overhaul, a surprise decision from the vocal critic of President Barack Obama's plan.

Scott said he will ask the Legislature to expand the program under a bill that would expire in three years, after which it would require renewed legislative support. He's the seventh Republican governor so far to propose expanding the taxpayer-funded health insurance program.

Scott said he would support the expansion as long as the federal government pays 100 percent of the increased costs, which is the deal offered to states by the Obama administration. After that, the federal government said it would pay 90 percent of the cost for the additional enrollees.

The governor said he gained new perspective after his mother's death last year, calling his decision to support a key provision of the Affordable Care Act a "compassionate, common sense step forward."

Read more: http://lubbockonline.com/filed-online/2013-02-20/scott-florida-becomes-7th-gop-governor-ok-medicaid-expansion-obamacare

http://thetrustadvisor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/obamacare.png

Cigar
02-21-2013, 12:00 PM
I’m beginning to think we need a new term for white male Republicans whose gender, party, and skin color allows them to drift into positions that hold a lot of power without anyone noticing that they’re very, very stupid. Like the Peter Principle, but for conservative white guys. Gov. Rick Scott of Florida is a fairly clear-cut example of how this works. Every time his name is in a story headline, one thing is absolutely certain: The reader will be forced at some point during the story to shake her head and think, “How did his supporters never notice that he’s dumber than a bag of corn chips?”

Take, for instance, Scott caving in on the Medicaid expansion.

Scott, a former healthcare executive, started an advocacy group to fight the health law before being elected governor, and has continued fighting the law ever since. He joined with other Republican governors to oppose the ACA’s Medicaid expansion, arguing that it would be too expensive for their states, and took his legal challenge all the way to the Supreme Court.

But this afternoon, the federal government granted Florida’s request for a conditional waiver to experiment with privatizing Medicaid in the state, and Scott quickly backed down on opposition to the expansion. He hastily called a press conference to formally announce the new policy this evening.

The question here is simple: What did Scott think was going to happen? Did he really think that by posturing around the state promoting dishonest propaganda about the Medicaid expansion, he would get the federal government to say, “Hey, just kidding! Florida is totally exempt from all federal legislation!” How many seconds was it after the federal government accepted Florida’s request to run their own experimental Medicaid that Scott said, “Great goblets, Batman! Obama called our bluff!” Three seconds? Four seconds? Did he need time to scratch his nuts ponderously before calling a press conference and saying, “Just kidding!”
No matter, because there’s nothing more amusing than someone try to recover his dignity after thinking he was playing Go Fish and discovering instead that the game is poker.

“This is not a white flag of surrender to government-run healthcare,” Scott explained. “We now have a Supreme Court decision and we have an election that says this is the law of the land.”

Not the white flag of surrender, no. The puke green flag of a person who just realized for a moment that he’s batting out of his league, though I imagine that he’ll soon be comforting himself by reminding himself that he’s a white guy, and that does wonders for convincing others that you aren’t as stupid as your actions would lead them to believe.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/02/21/gov-rick-scott-is-batting-way-out-of-his-league/

Cigar
02-21-2013, 01:38 PM
That's what I thought ...

nic34
02-21-2013, 01:45 PM
They must all have pre-existing conditions...:dollar:

zelmo1234
02-21-2013, 02:17 PM
They must all have pre-existing conditions...:dollar:

God I hope not, We have already run out of money for them!!!!

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/obama-admin-winds-down-plan-uninsurables

nic34
02-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Starting next January 1, insurance companies will no longer be able to turn anyone away because of poor health.

bladimz
02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
The costs of current health insurance are directly tied to the medical healthcare industry. Break the back of Big Pharma, bring it into line with today's world. It would (should) result in significantly lower health insurance premiums, and maybe we wouldn't need a program like Obamacare. But Big Pharma is too big and too powerful to fight, and the health insurance industry would never accept reductions in premiums that they now enjoy. So... you tell me. What's our alternative?

Universal Healthcare is the only realistic solution.

zelmo1234
02-21-2013, 04:23 PM
You are correct, but it does not say how much they can charge????

We know that the cheapest a family in good health can get insurance from the state run pools is 20K for a healthy family of 4 so we can assume that there will be at least a 20% charge for those that are sick!

Can you afford 22K for your families insurance every year?

Millions will loose their employer based insurance, and hundreds of thousands will loose there jobs, driving down wages even further?

So great they can't deny your insurance, but you can't afford it? Now what!

zelmo1234
02-21-2013, 04:27 PM
The costs of current health insurance are directly tied to the medical healthcare industry. Break the back of Big Pharma, bring it into line with today's world. It would (should) result in significantly lower health insurance premiums, and maybe we wouldn't need a program like Obamacare. But Big Pharma is too big and too powerful to fight, and the health insurance industry would never accept reductions in premiums that they now enjoy. So... you tell me. What's our alternative?

Well we know from looking at countries that have universal care that is is not cheap and the quality of care always goes down!

I would say a market based solution should do the trick. this and tort reforms would drive the prices down very quickly. especially if we went to a program where people paid for everyday visits, tests, and prescriptions and only had catistrophic insurance

Opening over seas markets to purchase prescription things like taht will make a big difference!

Universal Healthcare is the only realistic solution.

Chris
02-21-2013, 04:38 PM
That's what I thought ...

What, no one was biting?

Here's one, why's Obama dressed up as a doctor? Did he get a new daytime job playing one on a soap opera?

bladimz
02-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Well we know from looking at countries that have universal care that is is not cheap and the quality of care always goes down!

I would say a market based solution should do the trick. this and tort reforms would drive the prices down very quickly. especially if we went to a program where people paid for everyday visits, tests, and prescriptions and only had catistrophic insurance

Opening over seas markets to purchase prescription things like taht will make a big difference!

Universal Healthcare is the only realistic solution.We are the only country in the developed world that does not have universal healthcare. There's a big reason for that. It's called the Medical/Pharmaceutical industries and their limitless resources. Even with Obamacare in place, Big Pharma will feel no pain, nor will the health insurance industry.

In fact, they were instrumental (http://www.salon.com/2012/12/05/obamacare_architect_heads_to_big_pharma/) in the composition of Obamacare

Obamacare architect heads to Big Pharma

Liz Fowler, well known as the architect of President Obama’s Affordable Care Act, never really left the healthcare industry. Before and after working as chief health policy counsel for Sen. Max Baucus (the position from which she drafted Obamacare), Fowler worked for the nation’s largest health insurance provider Well Point. She was then appointed by Obama to oversee the implementation of her Obamacare legislation and now, as Glenn Greenwald flagged Wednesday, will be taking up a senior position with Johnson & Johnson.
http://www.salon.com/2012/12/05/obamacare_architect_heads_to_big_pharma/So really and truly, we are screwed either way...

Chris
02-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Even with Obamacare in place, Big Pharma will feel no pain, nor will the health insurance industry.

Because they wrote the damned thing. What kind of government screws over its own people like that, handing out favors for power?

Conley
02-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Because they wrote the damned thing. What kind of government screws over its own people like that, handing out favors for power?

Everyone involved will tell you "it's just business" :rollseyes: I hate that expression...it's a justification for anything as long as there is a $ attached

bladimz
02-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Everyone involved will tell you "it's just business" :rollseyes: I hate that expression...it's a justification for anything as long as there is a $ attached
Now don't get me wrong about this, please. But this is the dark side of life in America.We live in a nation of collusion of government and big business. Some people (like me) will go so far as to say that this country is, in effect, an Oligarchy. Money is the bottom line, and it is money over humanity that controls the issues in this country. This supposed to be the case in other countries; in lesser countries. But not ours. American exceptionalism should set us apart from all other countries. We are different and unique. Not so much.

Chris
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM

Or it's just politics.

bladimz
02-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Because they wrote the damned thing. What kind of government screws over its own people like that, handing out favors for power?A government owned by big business. Or, not so much owned... but both are twisted together like a braid.

Chris
02-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Now don't get me wrong about this, please. But this is the dark side of life in America.We live in a nation of collusion of government and big business. Some people (like me) will go so far as to say that this country is, in effect, an Oligarchy. Money is the bottom line, and it is money over humanity that controls the issues in this country. This supposed to be the case in other countries; in lesser countries. But not ours. American exceptionalism should set us apart from all other countries. We are different and unique. Not so much.

I would rephrase

Now don't get me wrong about this, please. But this is the dark side of life in America.We live in a nation of collusion of big government and big business. Some people (like me) will go so far as to say that this country is, in effect, an Oligarchy. Power is the bottom line, and it is power over humanity that controls the issues in this country. This supposed to be the case in other countries; in lesser countries. But not ours. American exceptionalism should set us apart from all other countries. We are different and unique. Not so much.

Now if we join yours and mine we will be close to the truth of this sad state of affairs.

nic34
02-21-2013, 05:45 PM
http://www.michaelmoore.com/books-films/facts/sicko

watch the movie...

bladimz
02-21-2013, 05:48 PM
I would rephrase

Now if we join yours and mine we will be close to the truth of this sad state of affairs.
Well, if money=power, (and i think it is...) we're pretty much saying the same thing.

Chris
02-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Well, if money=power, (and i think it is...) we're pretty much saying the same thing.

But time = money...therefore time = power?

Money is sufficient cause, power necessary cause.