PDA

View Full Version : Why Republicans Are Bungling the Sequestration Debate

Chris
02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
The Reps are dead wrong.

America is fed up with GOP obstructionism. So undoubtedly, everyone is hopeful that Republicans will allow President Barack Obama's sequestration plans to proceed unhindered. It's only right.

The GOP, in fact, should quit while it's ahead. Rather than penning editorials and appearing on Sunday morning talk shows to try to pin the blame on others, leadership would be far better off simply saying: "Thank you, Mr. President. Thank you for dreaming up a plan that implements some minimal spending cuts. Thanks for signing it into law. It's not much, but we sure appreciate it."

..How will it play out? "Are you willing to see a bunch of first responders lose their job? ... Are you willing to have teachers laid off or kids not have access to Head Start?" asks the president. Don't forget firemen, TSA agents, and mental health workers—a chilling proposition if any of it were true. We're about a week away from a White House press release warning that sequestration would mean your kid's disabled preschool teacher would have her wheelchair repossessed.

This scaremongering shows not only that Obama isn't serious about deficit spending or reform but that he believes his skill and perpetual campaign machine is enough to persuade the public—and consequently the House—to see it his way. This time, he may be wrong.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, we're actually looking at a $44 billion spending reduction in 2013—or reducing what the federal government planned to budget this year by 1.5 percent. So it's a cut that would total 0.5 percent of gross domestic product. Does the average American believe that living without a week's worth of government spending would crush civilization? Does anyone? Notwithstanding Obama's contention, not a single penny has been cut by his administration. So when Obama claims that the sequester cuts would take a "meat cleaver" to government, he's arguing that even a modest reduction in future spending could devastate the economy. Does that fly?.

@ Why Republicans Are Bungling the Sequestration Debate (http://reason.com/archives/2013/02/21/thank-you-mr-president)

So are the Dems.

Peter1469
02-22-2013, 10:15 AM
The outline of the current sequestration law was offered by Obama and the dems. The MSM just lets them blame it on the GOP.

BTW, sequestration has been passed a couple of times in the last 30 years and was never implemented (to my knowledge) even though no law was passed to overcome the effects of sequestration. (That probably has something to do with our current debt and deficit levels.)

Chris
02-22-2013, 10:16 AM
My impression is Reps are resisting it as much as Dems. Both are just playing blame games. Neither is serious about the debt.

Cigar
02-22-2013, 10:22 AM
I know a lot of people don't want to hear this, but I truly believe in my heart that most of the problems our Government and Country has, is personal.

I say this because a lot of ideas we're passing up where never partisan until 4 years ago.

Peter1469
02-22-2013, 10:23 AM
The fiscal conservatives support it. But you are right the RHINOs don't want it. But also don't really want a deal on Obama's terms.

Chris
02-22-2013, 11:42 AM
I know a lot of people don't want to hear this, but I truly believe in my heart that most of the problems our Government and Country has, is personal.

I say this because a lot of ideas we're passing up where never partisan until 4 years ago.

Partisan here meaning party, but parties are not personal. Unless you mean the parties are not representing us but only they're own interests in power.

nic34
02-22-2013, 12:05 PM

"Reagan," Cheney declared in 2002, "proved deficits don't matter."

Unless, that is, a Democrat is in the White House.

After all, Reagan tripled the debt and G.W. doubled it again, each was rewarded with a second term in office.

How soon we forget.

nic34
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Partisan here meaning party, but parties are not personal. Unless you mean the parties are not representing us but only they're own interests in power.

when you're up to your neck in alligators, it's easy to forget that the objective was to drain the swamp

Chris
02-22-2013, 01:10 PM
when you're up to your neck in alligators, it's easy to forget that the objective was to drain the swamp

Then let's join in draining the swamp of Reps and Dems.

Chris
02-22-2013, 01:11 PM
"Reagan," Cheney declared in 2002, "proved deficits don't matter."

Unless, that is, a Democrat is in the White House.

After all, Reagan tripled the debt and G.W. doubled it again, each was rewarded with a second term in office.

How soon we forget.

Ah, the old two wrongs make a right argument!

Peter1469
02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Yea, a $220B deficit matters. Just not as much as a $1.3T deficit. :shocked:

Cigar
02-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Then let's join in draining the swamp of Reps and Dems.

I say get out of the swamp and let them have it ... :)

Chris
02-22-2013, 04:35 PM
I say get out of the swamp and let them have it ... :)

That works.

Chris
02-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Do Republicans Really Like Lower Spending or Not? (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02/21/do-republicans-really-like-lower-spending-or-not/#ixzz2LfMyOPAA)

“The president’s sequester is the wrong way to reduce the deficit, but it is here to stay until Washington Democrats get serious about cutting spending.”
-- House Speaker John Boehner in a Wall Street Journal Op-Ed on Wednesday.
Is sequestration better than nothing?

The inability of Republicans to plainly answer that question is giving President Obama the upper hand in the ongoing spat over automatic decreases to automatic increases in federal spending due to kick in a week from Friday.

Republicans, especially Defense Department stalwarts, have spent 19 months doomsaying the reductions. The cuts have been described in apocalyptic terms over and over and over again. “Harsh.” “Brutal.” “Devastating.”

Did they suppose that Obama would be on the other side of this issue? Did they think that the greatest enthusiast for federal spending since Lyndon Johnson would suddenly become a deficit hawk? Did they think that the master of the perpetual campaign would grimly and stoically oversee the imposition of the cuts?

The answer to almost any riddle about Obama – the presidential response to almost any problem – involves three things: Campaigning, calls for more taxes and spending and blaming Republicans....

Chris
02-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Here's a good video where CBS interviews an economist trying to get him to answer Who's to Blame if Sequestration Goes Unaddressed? (http://www.nbcbayarea.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/Whos-to-Blame-if-Sequestration-Goes-Unaddressed-/192176031)

Henderson, association professor of economics and the Naval Postgraduate School, won't play that game. He says in EconLog blog Henderson on Responsibility for Sequestration (http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2013/02/henderson_on_re_1.html): "Sam, however, made it about who is to blame. I would never use the word "blame" to describe responsibility for a good policy. Here's the video. I make the point about "responsibility" rather than "blame" at about the 1:34 point."