PDA

View Full Version : Psychoactive Drugs That Can Get Your Gun(s) Taken Away

Lummy
08-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Short List Of Psychoactive Drugs That Can Get Your Gun(s) Taken Away in New York.

Under the SAFE ACT taking Psychotropic Drugs can be cause for confiscating your firearms and permit. Here's a list of them:

Abilify - antipsychotic used to treat schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and agitation
Adderall - stimulant used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Ambien - used as a sleep aid, cause drousiness
Antabuse - used to treat alcohol addiction
Aricept - used to slow the progression of dementia
Anafranil - tricyclic antidepressant
Asenapine - antipsychotic used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
Ativan - benzodiazepine, used to relieve anxiety
Benperidol - an antipsychotic
BuSpar - an anti -anxiety medication
Benzodiazepines - a class of sedatives
Benzydamine - an anti-inflammatory drug
Celexa - an antidepressant of the SSRI class (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor)
Clozaril - an atypical antipsychotic (Clozapine)
Concerta - used to treat ADD/ADHD
Cymbalta - an antidepressant of the SSNRI (Selective Serotonin and Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor) class, similar to Effexor (venlafaxine)
Depakote - an atiepileptic and mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder, neuropathic pain and others. Sometimes called an antimanic medication
Dextromethorphan - an antitussive drug
Effexor - an antidepressant of the SSNRI (or SNRI) class
Elavil - a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA), less commonly used these days
Eskalith - a salt of Lithium, which is a mood stabilizer used to prevent bipolar disorder.
Fluoxetine - (Prozac) is used to treat major depressive disorder, bulimia nervosa (an eating disorder) obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
Gabitril - a mood stabilizer
Geodon - an "atypical" antipsychotic
Haldol - a "typical" antipsychotic, one of the oldest, usually given in conjunction with "cogentin", an antiparkinsonic. This is due to the high occurrence of tardive dyskinesia on patients with prolonged Haldol use.
Imipramine - a tricyclic antidepressant (TCA) which is sometimes used to treat bulimia, panic disorder, or related disorders
Inderal - a beta blocker known as propranolol. It is used for acute anxiety, panic attacks, hypertension.
Keppra - an anticonvulsant drug which is sometimes used as a mood stabilizer
Klonopin - antianxiety medication of the benzodiazepine class
Lamictal - a mood stabilizer of the anticonvulsant class
Lexapro - an antidepressant of the SSRI class
Librium - the first antianxiety medication of the benzodiazepine class.
Lithium (generic name) - Known more commonly by its generic name, a mood stabilizer used in treating bipolar disorder
Lithobid (Lithium) - A trade drug of the antipsychotic drug lithium, which is a mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder
Loxitane - an antipsychotic, today rarely used
Lunesta - a sleep aid
Luvox - an antidepressant of the SSRI class, often used to treat Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Mellaril - an antipsychotic, today rarely used
Namenda - used to slow the progression of Alzheimer'sDementia
Navane - an antipsychotic, today rarely used
Neurontin - an anticonvulsant (anti -seizure medication) which is sometimes used as a mood stabilizer or to treat chronic pain, particularly diabetic neuropathy
Paxil - an SSRI antidepressant, used frequently to treat depression and anxiety disorders
Phenelzine - (Nardil)-MAOIs for depression
Pristiq - an SNRI antidepressant
Prolixin - an antipsychotic
Prozac - an SSRI antidepressant
Phenobarbital- a barbiturate, sedative and hypnotic properties
Remeron - an antidepressant which is often used as a sleep aid
Reminyl - used to slow the progression of Alzheimer's Dementia
Restoril - a sleep aid of the benzodiazepine class
ReVia - alternatively known as Naltrexone
Risperdal - an "atypical" antipsychotic
Ritalin - a stimulant used to treat ADHD/ADD
Saphris - an atypical antipsychotic
Serax - anti -anxiety medication of the benzodiazepine class, often used to help during detoxification from alcohol or other drugs of abuse
Sertraline - an SSRI class anti-depressant (brand name Zoloft)
Seroquel - an "atypical" antipsychotic, sometimes is used as a sleep aid when given in low doses
Serzone- an "atypical" antidepressant
Stelazine - an older antipsychotic, today rarely used
Strattera - a non-stimulant medication used to treat ADD/ADHD
Sycrest - an atypical antipsychotic
Thioxetine
Thorazine - an older antipsychotic, today rarely used because of the high occurrence of serious side effects
Topamax - a mood stabilizer, also used for migraine headaches
Trazodone - atypical antidepressant, most typically used now as a sleep aid
Trileptal - a mood stabilizer used to treat bipolar disorder
Valium - anti-anxiety medication of the benzodiazepine class
Vistaril - an antihistamine for the treatment of itches and irritations, an antiemetic, as a weak analgesic, an opioid potentiator, and as an anxiolytic.
Vyvanse - a stimulant used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Wellbutrin - an antidepressant of the norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI) class, structurally identical to Zyban, a smoking cessation aid
Xanax - an antianxiety medication of the benzodiazepine class
Zoloft - an antidepressant of the SSRI class Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor
Zyprexa - an "atypical" antipsychotic medication used in the treatment of schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, bipolar disorder, and various types of dementia and /sometimes OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder)
Zaleplon - a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic
Zolpidem - a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic
Zopiclone - a non-benzodiazepine hypnotic

https://nyfirearms.com/forums/firearms-news/51649-list-psychotropic-drugs-can-take-your-guns-away.html

I made a similar list a few years ago but can't find it just now. I think it was actually a bit longer, but also incomplete. That's a lot of drugs! See how easy it would be to apply personal anti-gun politics to this situation.

Best advice is to not take these drugs, and if you do take them, quit. The truth is that many of them are far more likely to kill you (and others) than is a personal firearm. It's an evil racket pushing pills.

stjames1_53
08-16-2019, 11:16 AM
Big pharma is working against America

Lummy
08-16-2019, 11:27 AM
If all these prescription meds can get your gun taken away, then that has to mean that although they are sold as aids to help make people normal, the truth is that they actually make people abnormal. WTF?

How did this perverse reversal in common sense come to be acceptable? Big, big profits and a generation of baby boomers raised in a postWW2 drug culture.

Collateral Damage
08-16-2019, 11:35 AM
Short List Of Psychoactive Drugs That Can Get Your Gun(s) Taken Away in New York.
I made a similar list a few years ago but can't find it just now. I think it was actually a bit longer, but also incomplete. That's a lot of drugs! See how easy it would be to apply personal anti-gun politics to this situation.
Best advice is to not take these drugs, and if you do take them, quit. The truth is that many of them are far more likely to kill you (and others) than is a personal firearm. It's an evil racket pushing pills.They forgot aspirin.

Standing Wolf
08-16-2019, 11:36 AM
I took Ativan for awhile a few years ago, and again earlier this year when I was hospitalized, as a sleep aid. (Ever try sleeping in the average hospital ward?) When I was discharged from rehab, I was required by Medicare to sign a statement to the effect that I agreed that they could order me in for a psychiatric evaluation if they opted to do so, on the grounds that I was suffering from "an anxiety disorder" - based solely on my having been prescribed the Ativan. Unbelievable.

Collateral Damage
08-16-2019, 11:39 AM
If all these prescription meds can get your gun taken away, then that has to mean that although they are sold as aids to help make people normal, the truth is that they actually make people abnormal. WTF?
How did this perverse reversal in common sense come to be acceptable? Big, big profits and a generation of baby boomers raised in a postWW2 drug culture.I believe the idea is if someone has a condition that requires A to Z to fix, they could likely go off their meds, and be a threat.

Do not take my statement as agreeing with what they are trying to do, it is the explanation I was given by a doctor. If the doctor records that they have even written such a prescription, regardless if you fill it or not, take it or not, it is on record. Those centralized electronic medical records that are supposed to help you in case of accident or injury? Yeah, those....

Lummy
08-16-2019, 11:44 AM
I believe the idea is if someone has a condition that requires A to Z to fix, they could likely go off their meds, and be a threat.

Do not take my statement as agreeing with what they are trying to do, it is the explanation I was given by a doctor. If the doctor records that they have even written such a prescription, regardless if you fill it or not, take it or not, it is on record. Those centralized electronic medical records that are supposed to help you in case of accident or injury? Yeah, those....

Holy shit.

The Xl
08-16-2019, 11:53 AM
Sounds Unconstitutional to me. But really, force is the only authority in this country. The Constitution means shit, the only people that have any power are the ones with a monopoly on force.

Bo-4
08-16-2019, 02:12 PM

Best advice is to not take these drugs, and if you do take them, quit. The truth is that many of them are far more likely to kill you (and others) than is a personal firearm. It's an evil racket pushing pills.Ya, We're COMIN' FER YER GUNS!! :rofl:

donttread
08-16-2019, 05:13 PM

Best advice is to not take these drugs, and if you do take them, quit. The truth is that many of them are far more likely to kill you (and others) than is a personal firearm. It's an evil racket pushing pills.

That's outrageous. I notice some light duty anti-anxieties and popular anti-depressants there. Not exactly the stuff that links to violence. I think we should first apply this list to congress and take their guns . Then military leaders , then the Military, the rest of the government. Lead by example! I'd like to see ANY science to support any of this other than maybe the anti-psychotics and even that's iffy.