PDA

View Full Version : First Responsers

donttread
08-17-2019, 09:59 AM
So there is this new "live" First Responders show. It's pretty interesting as these ambulances are more like mini-Emergency Rooms on wheels.

But today they did drug bust. Some of the drug bust they do look like someone with enough money could challenge probable cause. Anyway, the host talked about the brave officers taking drugs off the street. One of the brave officers ( and they were brave) was interviewed and literally said. that illegal drugs lead to crimes in order for addicts to pay for the drugs etc.

What they didn't say follows.
1) The War on Drugs has NOT taken drugs off the streets in a meaningful way as they are more available now than they were when the political war on drugs was begun.
2) While these officers are brave they are put needlessly in harms way for a battle we have been losing for 50 years and one we have no chance to win.
3) The drug related crimes the guy spoke about are usually related to two factors , first that addicts need money to purchase drugs ( a heroin addict for example doesn't commit much crime while high like alcohol users tend to do) and turf wars over sales territory. For example MJ, a drug which does not cause OD's is the catalyst for many killings. ALL of which is not pharmohology based but based primarily on the drugs illegality , inflated price and profit opportunity.

So to sum it up, brave men and women risking their lives in a no win situation where illegality causes more problems that it solves while costing us billions and stamping DO NOT HIRE on the hands of many of our youth. Meanwhile a former big tobacco marketing guy is almost certainly on a school board somewhere along with a Miller beer executive.

DGUtley
08-17-2019, 10:04 AM
So there is this new "live" First Responders show. It's pretty interesting as these ambulances are more like mini-Emergency Rooms on wheels.

But today they did drug bust. Some of the drug bust they do look like someone with enough money could challenge probable cause. Anyway, the host talked about the brave officers taking drugs off the street. One of the brave officers ( and they were brave) was interviewed and literally said. that illegal drugs lead to crimes in order for addicts to pay for the drugs etc.

What they didn't say follows.
1) The War on Drugs has NOT taken drugs off the streets in a meaningful way as they are more available now than they were when the political war on drugs was begun.
2) While these officers are brave they are put needlessly in harms way for a battle we have been losing for 50 years and one we have no chance to win.
3) The drug related crimes the guy spoke about are usually related to two factors , first that addicts need money to purchase drugs ( a heroin addict for example doesn't commit much crime while high like alcohol users tend to do) and turf wars over sales territory. For example MJ, a drug which does not cause OD's is the catalyst for many killings. ALL of which is not pharmohology based but based primarily on the drugs illegality , inflated price and profit opportunity.

So to sum it up, brave men and women risking their lives in a no win situation where illegality causes more problems that it solves while costing us billions and stamping DO NOT HIRE on the hands of many of our youth. Meanwhile a former big tobacco marketing guy is almost certainly on a school board somewhere along with a Miller beer executive.

How is tobacco related to this?

Meanwhile a former big tobacco marketing guy is almost certainly on a school board somewhere along with a Miller beer executive.

I think we should make everything legal -- no laws whatsoever. Even abortion retroactive to the 8th grade, provided it is done in the privacy of the mother's home. (I am just kidding here folks, I am not serious, please do not PM me telling me what a bad person I am. This is snark, joking to the ridiculous extreme. )

Standing Wolf
08-17-2019, 10:18 AM

Commercially processed tobacco contains a number of extremely harmful and addictive chemical substances. The only reason that it is legal and tolerated in society is that it's been around for so long that people take it for granted. If you invented or developed the idea of treating crush leaves with all those chemicals TODAY, and then tried to get people to set them on fire and suck the smoke into their lungs, how far do you think you'd get before the government shut you down?

I think we should make everything legal -- no laws whatsoever. Even abortion retroactive to the 8th grade, provided it is done in the privacy of the mother's home. (I am just kidding here folks, I am not serious, please do not PM me telling me what a bad person I am. This is snark, joking to the ridiculous extreme. )

Proposing or supporting common sense reforms to outdated drug laws - particularly the classification of marijuana as a dangerous drug - in the interests of preventing or lessening REAL crimes, especially violent ones, is not society shrugging its shoulders and saying, "Fine! Just make everything legal, then." It's more along the lines of taking a realistic view of why people do what they do and putting our Puritanical social heritage in the past where it belongs.

donttread
08-18-2019, 08:58 AM

How is tobacco related to drugs and their respective danger levels? WOW? For a small government guy you support a lot of bans and victimless crime laws , which grow government. A little conflicted?