PDA

View Full Version : CPAC 2013 and no Christie?

bladimz
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
NJ Gov. Christie still not invited to the CPAC 2013 (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/25/chris-christie-cpac_n_2742991.html?ir=Politics)

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) has still not received an invite to speak at this year's upcoming Conservative Political Action Conference, NBC News reported on Monday.

While Christie's name was not included on an earlier list of invitees released by organizers at the American Conservative Union, the group told The Huffington Post that the schedule had not yet been finalized.

It remains unclear if the ACU will change its mind, but Christie's absence at the largest annual gathering of conservatives would likely end up raising questions, as the group has rounded up a thorough collection of potential GOP 2016 presidential candidates -- all included on the list of initial invitees -- to address the conference.

Govs. Rick Perry of Texas and Bobby Jindal of Louisiana added their names in the past week to a guest list that already features Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wisc.), former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (R) and Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who has been named as the event's keynote speaker. Former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney and 2008 vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin have also accepted speaking roles at the high-profile conference.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/25/chris-christie-cpac_n_2742991.html?ir=Politics
These jokes were invited to speak, but Christie wasn't....
Guess he should have showed a little disrespect to the POTUS during the Sandy interaction. Cold shoulder and all.

Cigar
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
I can't image why they would exclude a Governor who has ratings most of them will never ever see in their entire careers.

He knows the winning formula, but most of them are still stuck in the Good Old Dazzzz :wink:

bladimz
02-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Well, yeah. You got that right. His rating currently, in a blue state, is 74%. Unheard-of in current politics.

He's too successful. The country knows it. It would be conservative suicide to have him show up at their wake.

KC
02-26-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm not a fan of Santorum, Romney or Palin either, but I do like some of the line up this year, especially Rand Paul, Paul Ryan and Scott Walker (you can tell I'm from Wisconsin). As for Christie that's fine with me, he's a RINO.

Cigar
02-26-2013, 01:22 PM
I'm not a fan of Santorum, Romney or Palin either, but I do like some of the line up this year, especially Rand Paul, Paul Ryan and Scott Walker (you can tell I'm from Wisconsin). As for Christie that's fine with me, he's a RINO.

You sure can't have anyone going Rogue in The Republican Party... Oh wait ... :rofl:

http://www.malagent.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/mccain-palin.jpg

bladimz
02-26-2013, 01:33 PM
I'm not a fan of Santorum, Romney or Palin either, but I do like some of the line up this year, especially Rand Paul, Paul Ryan and Scott Walker (you can tell I'm from Wisconsin). As for Christie that's fine with me, he's a RINO.If those three, as losers in their respective efforts, are worthy to speak, why isn't a moderate repub., a winner, like Christie?

This is exactly why the GOP is struggling mightily right now... They simply will not abide debate and introspection within their own party. How can we expect compromise between the GOP and the Dems, when the GOP factions cannot find compromise among themselves.

KC
02-26-2013, 01:37 PM
If those three, as losers in their respective efforts, are worthy to speak, why isn't a moderate repub., a winner, like Christie?

This is exactly why the GOP is struggling mightily right now... They simply will not abide debate and introspection within their own party. How can we expect compromise between the GOP and the Dems, when the GOP factions cannot find compromise among themselves.

I'm not a big fan of the GOP, so if they fail that's fine by me. At the moment Christie is symptomatic of the lack of difference between our two parties. We don't need two successful parties if both are for big government.

Cigar
02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
I'm not a big fan of the GOP, so if they fail that's fine by me. At the moment Christie is symptomatic of the lack of difference between our two parties. We don't need two successful parties if both are for big government.

What if both made Government Spending less and less each year and have the numbers to prove it?

nic34
02-26-2013, 01:43 PM
What's wrong with a center right party and a center left party.... plenty of spectrum for everybody...

KC
02-26-2013, 01:48 PM
What's wrong with a center right party and a center left party.... plenty of spectrum for everybody...

The problem is that isn't what we have. The two parties are way too similar, most of the differences are rhetorical.

bladimz
02-26-2013, 02:01 PM
The problem is that isn't what we have. The two parties are way too similar, most of the differences are rhetorical.
My true belief is that we really are an oligarchy. The two-party system is simply a distraction, and is used as evidence that we still enjoy the freedom to vote.

(I believe that) no matter who is voted into office, the legislative control is largely in the hands of the monied interests.

KC
02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
(I believe that) no matter who is voted into office, the legislative control is largely in the hands of the monied interests.

That much is certain, and is a good reason why we should care less about the most successful politicians. If a politician is more successful, that's a good indication that they have managed to make some special interest happy enough to sponsor her/his campaign.

nic34
02-26-2013, 02:04 PM
hence you make the argument to overturn Citizens United and get money out of campaigns....

KC
02-26-2013, 02:05 PM
hence you make the argument to overturn Citizens United and get money out of campaigns....

Agree. Also pass an amendment to the Constitution making campaign contributions from any organization illegal. Individuals have the right to free speech, no one else.

bladimz
02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Agree. Also pass an amendment to the Constitution making campaign contributions from any organization illegal. Individuals have the right to free speech, no one else.An excellent suggestion. An amendment would be the perfect thing. But it would never get the votes required to pass. Each branch has to pass the bill by 2/3rds majority before it goes to each state for 3/4ths approval by their respective legislatures...

I cannot imagine any possible way that such a proposed bill wouldn't be laughed off of the hill.

We do need to get money out of politics. But it's been in so long and has become part of our system, that to remove it at this point would kill our government.

Peter1469
02-26-2013, 02:23 PM
CPAC is a conservative organization. Why would Christie be invited?

KC
02-26-2013, 02:25 PM
An excellent suggestion. An amendment would be the perfect thing. But it would never get the votes required to pass. Each branch has to pass the bill by 2/3rds majority before it goes to each state for 3/4ths approval by their respective legislatures...

I cannot imagine any possible way that such a proposed bill wouldn't be laughed off of the hill.

We do need to get money out of politics. But it's been in so long and has become part of our system, that to remove it at this point would kill our government.

Oh believe me, I don't think it's possible. I enjoy discussing ideas, policy and political philosophy, but I'd have to be insane to think we're anything but doomed.

bladimz
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM
That much is certain, and is a good reason why we should care less about the most successful politicians. If a politician is more successful, that's a good indication that they have managed to make some special interest happy enough to sponsor her/his campaign.Well, for that matter, the losers have their special interest supporters backing their unsuccessful campaigns. It's just that one contestant happened to win, and the others didn't.

bladimz
02-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Oh believe me, I don't think it's possible. I enjoy discussing ideas, policy and political philosophy, but I'd have to be insane to think we're anything but doomed.
I'd love to believe that our country and our system will somehow evolve instead of implode. That, i think, would require extraterrestrial intervention.

KC
02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
I'd love to believe that our country and our system will somehow evolve instead of implode. That, i think, would require extraterrestrial intervention.

Like the Stanford Economist Russ Roberts likes to joke, we need a bailout from the Martian government.

bladimz
02-26-2013, 03:14 PM
CPAC is a conservative organization. Why would Christie be invited?Why not? Inviting Christie to speak has the potential to introduce some of his supporters to the conservative agenda (who would not otherwise bother to inspect). Oh well, I guess it's up to them to decide whether his presence does more damage than good to their faction.

bladimz
02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Like the Stanford Economist Russ Roberts likes to joke, we need a bailout from the Martian government.Ain't it the truth!

Mainecoons
02-26-2013, 06:08 PM
Why elect a RINO when you can vote for the real thing? Gets the collapse over faster that way.

zelmo1234
02-26-2013, 10:33 PM
If those three, as losers in their respective efforts, are worthy to speak, why isn't a moderate repub., a winner, like Christie?

Because it is not a republican gathering, it is a conservative gathering, and he is not a conservative. He will speak in 2015 and he will be acting a lot more conservaitve by then

Pete7469
02-26-2013, 11:24 PM

Because there is no "center". You're either right or wrong. The "center" is at best half right, but usually mostly wrong especially when it's manipulated by leftist propagandists in the media. The people who like to pretend they're above politics, somehow smarter than everyone else while never having to take a moral stand are the smug psuedointellectual centrists that need to get their heads out of their ass and allow the adults to lead.

Christie is popular in a moonbat state that's a train wreck, just like Jerry Moonbeam is popular in commiefornia. He has no business at CPAC

Pete7469
02-26-2013, 11:27 PM
Agree. Also pass an amendment to the Constitution making campaign contributions from any organization illegal. Individuals have the right to free speech, no one else.

Exactly, so unions shouldn't be allowed to impact campaigns either, therefore they no longer need to collect dues right?

Pete7469
02-26-2013, 11:37 PM

I'm not that cynical, we can overcome the problems we have, we've actually faced corruption far worse than this in the past, and we've overcome massive government powers implimented by Lincoln, Wilson and FDR.

What needs to be fought against is the statist propaganda machine mostly manipulated by the left.

Pete7469
02-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Why not? Inviting Christie to speak has the potential to introduce some of his supporters to the conservative agenda (who would not otherwise bother to inspect). Oh well, I guess it's up to them to decide whether his presence does more damage than good to their faction.

Any of his supporters that are concerned with the burden of freedom won't worry about the lack of his presence at a place he doen't belong.

KC
02-27-2013, 12:56 AM
Exactly, so unions shouldn't be allowed to impact campaigns either, therefore they no longer need to collect dues right?

Unions should not be allowed to impact campaigns in anyway, neither should corporations or public interest groups. Individuals should be the only drivers of campaign financing.

Unions of course need to collect dues, but I would guess that more would go towards administrative costs.

bladimz
03-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Exactly, so unions shouldn't be allowed to impact campaigns either, therefore they no longer need to collect dues right?Let me guess. You've never been in a union.

Mister D
03-01-2013, 01:36 PM

Right. It amazes me that these partisan kooks genuinely believe the GOP is far right or the Democrats far left.