PDA

View Full Version : 'Her rightful place': Rosa Parks statue being unveiled in the US Capitol

Cigar
02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
More than half a century after she sat defiantly on an Alabama city bus, Rosa Parks sits in the U.S. Capitol — the first black woman to be honored with a statue there.

President Barack Obama, congressional leaders and more than 50 of Parks’ relatives took part Wednesday in the unveiling of a 9-foot bronze statue of Parks in Statuary Hall.

Rep. James Clyburn, D-S.C. and the highest-ranking black member of Congress, called her “the first lady of civil rights, the mother of the movement, the saint of an endless struggle.” Obama was to speak later.

Parks is depicted sitting, heads folded across her lap. On Dec. 1, 1955, Parks, then a 42-year-old seamstress, broke the law by refusing to give up her seat to a white passenger on a packed bus in Montgomery.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/130227/f_rosaparks_statue_130227.vembedlarge456.jpg

Her arrest touched off a 381-day boycott of the bus system, a seminal moment in the civil rights movement. In 1956, the Supreme Court banned segregation on public transportation.

Parks died in October 2005 at age 92. Six days later, she lay in honor in the Capitol Rotunda. The next month, President George W. Bush directed Congress to commission a statue of Parks for the Capitol.

Parks was given the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1996 and the Congressional Gold Medal in 1999, but Rhea McCauley, a niece, told The Associated Press that the Statuary Hall honor is different.

“The medal, you could take it, put it on a mantel,” she said. “But her being in the hall itself is permanent.”

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/27/17117035-rosa-parks-statue-unveiled-in-us-capitol?lite

May she rest in peace and continue to inspire others to right the wrongs of injustices.

Cigar
02-27-2013, 12:13 PM
"This morning, we celebrate a seamstress, slight in stature but mighty in courage "
~ Pres. Obama at Rosa Parks statue unveiling

Agravan
02-27-2013, 02:52 PM
She stood up to real discrimination during a shameful period in our history. Had Democrats had their way, she would still be sitting at the back of the bus.

Cigar
02-27-2013, 02:55 PM
She stood up to real discrimination during a shameful period in our history. Had Democrats had their way, she would still be sitting at the back of the bus.

It's good to know some people are not against "change". :grin:

Mister D
02-27-2013, 03:00 PM

Blacks will be reduced to whatever "change" they can find under their secondhand couches. Glad you support that. Imbecile.

KC
02-27-2013, 03:10 PM
Please watch the personal remarks.

Cigar
02-27-2013, 03:13 PM
Please watch the personal remarks.

They're actually going out of their way to prove my point about racial attacks being commonplace on the internet and in General in Politics.

Boy was that was real easy

Mister D
02-27-2013, 03:15 PM
They're actually going out of their way to prove my point about racial attacks being commonplace on the internet and in General in Politics.

Boy was that was real easy

What racial attacks? :huh: :laugh:

Agravan
02-27-2013, 04:27 PM
What racial attacks? :huh: :laugh:

Must be those "dog whistles" that only liberals seem to be able to hear.
"hello" = racist dog whistle!!!!

Chris
02-27-2013, 04:37 PM
I admire her civil disobedience.

All men recognize the right of revolution; that is, the right to refuse allegiance to, and to resist, the government, when its tyranny or its inefficiency are great and unendurable.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Agravan
02-27-2013, 04:40 PM
Change for the better, yes. Change for the worse, as we are doing now, no.

Mister D
02-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Parks was another nobody who got elevated to superstar status because black people need heroes but this is truly laughable.

BTW, she was also carefully groomed by the NAACP for her "spontaneous" show of defiance. The strike she helped generate also failed.

Peter1469
02-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Parks may have been just a "nobody" citizen, but what she did was brave, and important. More important people should see themselves as "nobody."

Mister D
02-27-2013, 06:53 PM
Parks may have been just a "nobody" citizen, but what she did was brave, and important. More important people should see themselves as "nobody."

Parks was a radical and had been thoroughly prepped on what to do. It was anything but spontaneous and she risked little. Parks was a manufactured heroine.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 06:58 PM
Parks was a radical and had been thoroughly prepped on what to do. It was anything but spontaneous and she risked little. Parks was a manufactured heroine.
She risked little? How about her personal safety? She could have been beaten half to death and thrown out on the road and the police would not have even investigated.

Peter1469
02-27-2013, 07:01 PM

Hero's often are. Did Jesus just happen to fulfill prophecy, or was he aware of it and acted accordingly?

Mister D
02-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Hero's often are. Did Jesus just happen to fulfill prophecy, or was he aware of it and acted accordingly?

Christ and Parks? Really?

There were people who did the exact same thing before Parks and there were people who did the exact same after Parks. What makes her special? It wasn't spontaneous. That's a myth. Moreover, the strike Parks helped generate failed miserably. She deserves to be obscure but a mythology was created around her largely by white leftists. Now there is a statue of her in Washington. lol It's amazing the lengths to which whites will go to patronize blacks. Honestly, we should all be embarrassed.

Mister D
02-27-2013, 07:10 PM
She risked little? How about her personal safety? She could have been beaten half to death and thrown out on the road and the police would not have even investigated.

No, she couldn't have. Dude, you watch too many movies.

Mister D
02-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Mind you, there are plenty of interesting black figures. Marcus Garvey and W.E.B. Du Bois, for example. Chris Rock said it well, 'Rosa Parks didn't do anything but sit her black ass down'.

Peter1469
02-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Christ and Parks? Really?

There were people who did the exact same thing before Parks and there were people who did the exact same after Parks. What makes her special? It wasn't spontaneous. That's a myth. Moreover, the strike Parks helped generate failed miserably. She deserves to be obscure but a mythology was created around her largely by white leftists. Now there is a statue of her in Washington. lol It's amazing the lengths to which whites will go to patronize blacks. Honestly, we should all be embarrassed.
I am not claiming that what Parks did was comparable to what Jesus did. I am only saying that some theories suggest that Jesus knew prophecy and took action to fulfill it. Entering Jerusalem on an ass for example.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Really? What kept black people at the back of the bus to begin with? Some idea regarding the natural superiority of whites (??) or the fact that they could be arrested without cause, lynched or beaten without any legal recourse?

Mister D
02-27-2013, 07:55 PM
Really? What kept black people at the back of the bus to begin with? Some idea regarding the natural superiority of whites (??) or the fact that they could be arrested without cause, lynched or beaten without any legal recourse?

Seriously, you watch too many movies if you think Rosa Parks stood any chance of being lynched for her actions. Obviously, that didn't happen and there was about as much chance of her being lynched for that as there was for her being trampled by a rhinoceros.

Mister D
02-27-2013, 07:59 PM
I am not claiming that what Parks did was comparable to what Jesus did. I am only saying that some theories suggest that Jesus knew prophecy and took action to fulfill it. Entering Jerusalem on an ass for example.

Parks was a trained radical who did nothing different from what other radicals had done both before and after. And she wasn't even successful.

Look, you know I consider you a friend and respect you. I know Americans are a peculiar lot in the way they cling to civil rights mythology. I've said my peace. I'll leave it that.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Seriously, you watch too many movies if you think Rosa Parks stood any chance of being lynched for her actions. Obviously, that didn't happen and there was about as much chance of her being lynched for that as there was for her being trampled by a rhinoceros.
The civil rights movement happened in my lifetime, not in yours. I think I might relate to the period better than you. My recollections don't come from movies.

Mister D
02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
The civil rights movement happened in my lifetime, not in yours. I think I might relate to the period better than you. My recollections don't come from movies.

Having successfully resisted state sponsored brain washing I know I give some of you the creeps. No worries. :smiley:

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 08:12 PM
Having successfully resisted state sponsored brain washing I know I give some of you the creeps. No worries. :smiley:
Geez D, there may be some things that you don't know as well as those who lived during that time. Would you tell Napolean that you know more about his time than he did?

Mister D
02-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Geez D, there may be some things that you don't know as well as those who lived during that time. Would you tell Napolean that you know more about his time than he did?

Actually, having studied his time I would know a great deal more about his time than he would. Who would know more about the Battle of Waterloo overall? Someone with the benefit of 200 years of hindsight and scholarly work or someone who was there? Granted, he would know a lot things no one has been able to discover but I know what was going on all over Europe. He didn't. Someone studying my time centuries from now would know far more about it than I would. :smiley:

I know my views make folks uncomfortable. Sorry.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Actually, having studied his time I would know a great deal more about his time than he would. Who would know more about the Battle of Waterloo overall? Someone with the benefit of 200 years of hindsight and scholarly work or someone who was there? Granted, he would know a lot things no one has been able to discover but I know what was going on all over Europe. He didn't. Someone studying my time centuries from now would know far more about it than I would. :smiley:

I know my views make folks uncomfortable. Sorry.
The problem with historical writers is that they bring their own bias into the story. The people who read history pick and choose whose version they want to read based on their own bias.

Mister D
02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
The problem with historical writers is that they bring their own bias into the story. The people who read history pick and choose whose version they want to read based on their own bias.

Of course they do. We all do. Napoleon had his. I have mine. You have yours.

KC
02-27-2013, 08:48 PM

I don't. I'm God's perfect little empiricist.

Mister D
02-27-2013, 08:48 PM
I don't. I'm God's perfect little empiricist.

Only the facts. Harrumph!

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 08:49 PM

Mine's ugly.

Cigar
02-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Wow ... this is why I like the site.

I get to send my friends links to actual comments made on the internet.

Otherwise no one would believe me. :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Mister D
02-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Wow ... this is why I like the site.

I get to send my friends links to actual comments made on the internet.

Otherwise no one would believe me. :smiley_ROFLMAO:

Why do you lie so much? :laugh: It's so weird. Worse still, no one cars.

Anyway, I'd ask you what you disagree with and why but yuo don't know so I won't.

Forrest
03-04-2013, 06:30 AM
The DC statue of King has a remarkable but realistic set of negro lips.

Cigar
03-04-2013, 08:00 AM
The last thrashing of the desperate ... :biglaugh:

This must have been what it sounded like when the dinosaurs were becoming extinct.

Chris
03-04-2013, 08:01 AM
The last thrashing of the desperate ... :biglaugh:

This must have been what it sounded like when the dinosaurs were becoming extinct.

The way this nation is being misgoverned it may well become extinct.

Cigar
03-04-2013, 08:05 AM
The way this nation is being misgoverned it may well become extinct.

Look what the 47% is spending their money one .... :smiley_ROFLMAO:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/733966_621821924509989_1853535563_n.jpg

Chris
03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Look what the 47% is spending their money one .... :smiley_ROFLMAO:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/733966_621821924509989_1853535563_n.jpg

We'll need it when the government collapses.

Cigar
03-04-2013, 08:34 AM
We'll need it when the government collapses.

Is that before or after $6.00 per/gallon Gas?

Peter1469
03-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Gas here is $3.99 per gallon as of this weekend.

Cigar
03-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Gas here is $3.99 per gallon as of this weekend.

I saw the same thing early last week here, then over the weekend it went back down 6 cents to $3.93

nic34
03-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Down to $3.63 from high of $3.85 here.

Cigar
03-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Down to $3.63 from high of $3.85 here.

Maybe that's Obama's fault also ... :)

Pete7469
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Why do you lie so much? :laugh: It's so weird. Worse still, no one cars.

Anyway, I'd ask you what you disagree with and why but yuo don't know so I won't.

Wait, did 'ol stoogie boy just claim he has friends? That's the biggest lie.

nic34
03-04-2013, 12:12 PM
Maybe that's Obama's fault also ... :)

Blame and credit is directly proportional to the amount of obama derangement syndrome involved....

DeanSims
03-04-2013, 06:55 PM
i beleive in euqual rights, but just because your black doenst mean you can throw up all of these statues willy nilly when we cant afford them

Cigar
03-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Obviously there's some ignorance on how Art is commissioned and funded for the Capital Arts Collection in Statuary Hall.