PDA

View Full Version : Coke or Pepsi

KC
02-27-2013, 05:07 PM
Let's settle this once and for all. I've been craving Coke all week.

That possibly could have been worded better. Anyhow, what's you preference?

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
I can't vote based on the criteria given.

I rarely drink non-diet soda, but on the occasion I do I always go for a regular Coke. So it's either regular Coke for me or diet Pepsi. Diet coke is one of the diets I won't drink, it's awful. Regular Pepsi is too bland.

nic34
02-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Royal Crown or these days Diet Rite!

KC
02-27-2013, 05:16 PM
I can't vote based on the criteria given.

I rarely drink non-diet soda, but on the occasion I do I always go for a regular Coke. So it's either regular Coke for me or diet Pepsi. Diet coke is one of the diets I won't drink, it's awful. Regular Pepsi is too bland.

Diet Coke is awful, but I don't like diet soda in general. I don't drink soda too often though so if I'm gonna have one I'll make it regular.

Pepsi's aight, but I really like it with some tattoed rum. Somehow it just works better with the tattooed rum better than Coke.

KC
02-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Royal Crown or these days Diet Rite!

I actually like RC. Don't know why everyone's so hard on them.

Chris
02-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Coke, but I drink very little.

Root Beer with chocolate icecream for a float, mmmm mmmmmmm.

Diet ____, no can drink that, taste is terrible.

KC
02-27-2013, 05:28 PM
Coke, but I drink very little.

Root Beer with chocolate icecream for a float, mmmm mmmmmmm.

Diet ____, no can drink that, taste is terrible.

Chocolate Ice Cream? I've never done that before. I like to put sherbet in my 7up instead of a rootbeer float.

oceanloverOH
02-27-2013, 05:50 PM
Of course, with diabetes, if I drink a carbonated beverage at all (very rare) it must be sugarfree. BLEH on both Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi! But I do like Coke Zero very much....tastes like the real thing to me!

Chris
02-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Chocolate Ice Cream? I've never done that before. I like to put sherbet in my 7up instead of a rootbeer float.

I'll have to try that, I like sherbet, 7Up is kinda sweet. How about ginger ale!?!?

KC
02-27-2013, 05:56 PM
I'll have to try that, I like sherbet, 7Up is kinda sweet. How about ginger ale!?!?

Ginger Ale is pretty good in general, in fact it might go better than the 7up. I should do that next time.

Chris
02-27-2013, 05:58 PM
Of course, with diabetes, if I drink a carbonated beverage at all (very rare) it must be sugarfree. BLEH on both Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi! But I do like Coke Zero very much....tastes like the real thing to me!

Bet you love being called Sugar!

Peter1469
02-27-2013, 06:30 PM
I stopped drinking cola almost altogether. Maybe twice a year I will drink a Barq's Root Beer.

oceanloverOH
02-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Bet you love being called Sugar!

Yes, I do, Cupcake!

Chris
02-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes, I do, Cupcake!

http://i.snag.gy/RjlI1.jpg

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Let's settle this once and for all. I've been craving Coke all week.

That possibly could have been worded better. Anyhow, what's you preference?
I rarely drink soft drinks and if I do, more often than not it is Ginger Ale - specifically Canada Dry. I think that Pepsi has a bit of lemon in it, so I prefer it if I'm drinking it straight. Otherwise, when mixed with rum, I'm not picky. Never diet. That stuff is horrible.

Adelaide
02-27-2013, 07:28 PM
Pepsi. I don't drink pop often, but when I do it's Pepsi, or Canadian dry, or Fanta.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 07:31 PM
Pepsi. I don't drink pop often, but when I do it's Pepsi, or Canadian dry, or Fanta.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSG6HY27o4iM1uuFs07yS32XTGj1XW-MEU5UMic3MTZy3fIU_9SA

KC
02-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Canada Dry is the best Ginger Ale. It's pretty much the only soda I drink at home.

Adelaide
02-27-2013, 07:33 PM
Canada Dry is the best Ginger Ale. It's pretty much the only soda I drink at home.

You freakin' Americans and your soda. It's called pop. POP. Pee-Oh-Pee. POP. lol

:p

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Too right. It doesn't have that gross perfumed flavor so many others have.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 07:36 PM
You freakin' Americans and your soda. It's called pop. POP. Pee-Oh-Pee. POP. lol

I always thought 'pop' was an east Pennsylvania thing.

I asked someone for a pop in the NY State tier and got a 100 yard stare.

Hell, I asked for a hoagie at a deli in New Hampshire and got lectured on the proper term for the sandwich.

KC
02-27-2013, 07:38 PM

It's a southeastern-Wisconsin thing for me. I know a lot of people from up north and Minnesota who correct me when I say soda.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 07:38 PM
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpkNWYAgUHrVTFhDvMEf7WR5jR9PBez 7X8iVzgZAKWgRcOoyAg

KC
02-27-2013, 07:41 PM

Also, most of the people I know who say pop also say "bubbler". I don't know what it is in Canada but it's supposed to be a water fountain. It doesn't make bubbles it's just a fountain you drink water from.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Also, most of the people I know who say pop also say "bubbler". I don't know what it is in Canada but it's supposed to be a water fountain. It doesn't make bubbles it's just a fountain you drink water from.

Twenty five bucks will get you a decent 'bubbler' on Pittsburgh's North Side on a Thursday night.

oceanloverOH
02-27-2013, 07:46 PM
I always thought 'pop' was an east Pennsylvania thing.

I asked someone for a pop in the NY State tier and got a 100 yard stare.

Hell, I asked for a hoagie at a deli in New Hampshire and got lectured on the proper term for the sandwich.

In California, it's soda. Here in OH, it's pop. In Boston, it's tonic (pronounced TAW-nic). Hoagie, po-boy, hero, torpedo, grinder and submarine sandwich are all regional too, it seems.

KC
02-27-2013, 07:49 PM
In California, it's soda. Here in OH, it's pop. In Boston, it's tonic (pronounced TAW-nic). Hoagie, po-boy, hero, torpedo, grinder and submarine sandwich are all regional too, it seems.

I've never heard of like half of those.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 07:50 PM

Yeah, I'm in OH now and yeah - they say 'pop'.

A 'po-boy' as I know first hand from my time in Alabama is a wrap of sorts with fried whatever - seafood, chicken.

"Grinder" is more of a NE thing I believe but I can't remember what they called it in NH. I was too busy thinking "fuck you, you pompous asshole" and I forgot what he called it.

Peter1469
02-27-2013, 08:07 PM

Down south we call it a Cold Drink.

Deadwood
02-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Neither.

If I could have that much sugar at one time and not die I would have Dr. Pepper. It tastes like lipstick.

And rootbeer is better for you

Mister D
02-27-2013, 08:09 PM
This is so 80s...:grin:

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 08:11 PM
In the southern tier of NY, everything is called "a coke" no matter what it is.

And they have hoagie sauce. A sort of mild bbq sauce they put on hoagies.

And... AND - beef on weck, which I believe is distinct to the region. Basically shaved steak on a weck roll. Pretty basic.

In WV, they pride themselves on pepperoni rolls. Small bread rolls with pepperoni baked in. They're ok, but what weirds me out is that they're everywhere. Gas stations, Wal Mart, drug stores. None of them in the refrigerated section.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 08:15 PM

And they have hoagie sauce. A sort of mild bbq sauce they put on hoagies.

And... AND - beef on weck, which I believe is distinct to the region. Basically shaved steak on a weck roll. Pretty basic.

In WV, they pride themselves on pepperoni rolls. Small bread rolls with pepperoni baked in. They're ok, but what weirds me out is that they're everywhere. Gas stations, Wal Mart, drug stores. None of them in the refrigerated section.
Yikes.

KC
02-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Apparently same thing in the south. I remember going to visit family deep in Alabama when I was little. Some scary hillbilly lady (must have been a relative, idk) asked if "y'all want some Coke?" and I was pretty disappointed when she gave me a Sprite.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 08:36 PM
Apparently same thing in the south. I remember going to visit family deep in Alabama when I was little. Some scary hillbilly lady (must have been a relative, idk) asked if "y'all want some Coke?" and I was pretty disappointed when she gave me a Sprite.

Right. It's like picturing yourself in a Steve Martin B-movie.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 08:54 PM

I think your face must have looked much like your avatar's. LOL

Peter1469
02-27-2013, 08:56 PM
I think you face must have looked much like your avatar's. LOL

Look at who's barking..... :wink:

Chris
02-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Where I grew up it was pop, now it's coke.

http://i.snag.gy/uTmMP.jpg

KC
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Holy crap that map's extremely accurate.

Chris
02-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Canada...

http://i.snag.gy/lh66a.jpg

Chris
02-27-2013, 09:00 PM
The world (blue soda, green pop, red coke):

http://i.snag.gy/fnzus.jpg

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Holy crap that map's extremely accurate.

I don't get calling all soft drinks a coke??? How do you get the drink you want?

Adelaide
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM

That's interesting.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 09:05 PM

In the red parts of the world they are probably really asking for a coke!

KC
02-27-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't get calling all soft drinks a coke??? How do you get the drink you want?

In my experience, you don't.

But I'm a Coke guy, so if I actually got a Coke, I'd be fine with that.

Chris
02-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Same way you would asking for a soda. :-)

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 09:13 PM

What's grey?

Blowjobs?

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Same way you would asking for a soda. :-)
So someone has to ask what kind of coke you want? Maybe it's just me, but that is really weird. It's like calling all meat steak.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 09:14 PM
So someone has to ask what kind of coke you want? Maybe it's just me, but that is really weird. It's like calling all meat steak.

Tell that to Taco Bell.

KC
02-27-2013, 09:15 PM
What's grey?

Blowjobs?

That would suck.

oceanloverOH
02-27-2013, 09:16 PM
It's so cool how you can find a graph or map for damn near anything on the internet!

Chris
02-27-2013, 09:20 PM

But if everyone else talks that way it's nothing. I grew up on pop and it was hard to change to coke. Actually here we mostly drink ice tea, ice tea or unsweet because ice tea is "normally" drunk sweet here.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 09:24 PM
But if everyone else talks that way it's nothing. I grew up on pop and it was hard to change to coke. Actually here we mostly drink ice tea, ice tea or unsweet because ice tea is "normally" drunk sweet here.
I've heard of the sweet tea thing. I'm not fond of iced tea - prefer a cup of regular tea, though I've had iced green tea with lemon at a korean restaurant that is really very good. Though if you like sweet drinks, you might not like it, because it's not sweet.

Chris
02-27-2013, 09:28 PM
I've heard of the sweet tea thing. I'm not fond of iced tea - prefer a cup of regular tea, though I've had iced green tea with lemon at a korean restaurant that is really very good. Though if you like sweet drinks, you might not like it, because it's not sweet.

Drank green tea in Japan for years, always piping hot though.

I'm trying to put myself in situations and I'm thinking when you ask someone for a pop/soda/coke, at a restaurant or at home, you wouldn't say pop or soda and a coke is a coca-cola. You would use the generic when talking about it, I was sitting around drinking a pop or I went for a coke or there's soda pop in the fridge. Not saying strictly so but that's how I hear it.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 09:44 PM

I'm trying to put myself in situations and I'm thinking when you ask someone for a pop/soda/coke, at a restaurant or at home, you wouldn't say pop or soda and a coke is a coca-cola. You would use the generic when talking about it, I was sitting around drinking a pop or I went for a coke or there's soda pop in the fridge. Not saying strictly so but that's how I hear it.

I'm sure wherever you are you figure out the colloquial expression, but nevertheless, it may defy logic. Although the Brits are very fond of calling all vacuum cleaners Hoovers and I recall some in the past calling all refridgerators "Fridgidaires". Equally, we frequently call tissue, Kleenex. So I guess in retrospect it's not that odd.

KC
02-27-2013, 09:49 PM

Most restaurants actually served tea instead of water when you walked in the door when I was in Japan.

Chris
02-27-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm sure wherever you are you figure out the colloquial expression, but nevertheless, it may defy logic. Although the Brits are very fond of calling all vacuum cleaners Hoovers and I recall some in the past calling all refridgerators "Fridgidaires". Equally, we frequently call tissue, Kleenex. So I guess in retrospect it's not that odd.

You can be logical with language but language itself is not logical.

Chris
02-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Most restaurants actually served tea instead of water when you walked in the door when I was in Japan.

Yes. Only variation on that were coffee shops--those were great, almost every neighborhood had one, some small as a few tables, best coffee, little cakes--not the sweet things we have here, great for talking.

Nowadays, here, you have to ask for water in a restaurant.

KC
02-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Yes. Only variation on that were coffee shops--those were great, almost every neighborhood had one, some small as a few tables, best coffee, little cakes--not the sweet things we have here, great for talking.

Really? I don't think I've ever asked for water in a restaurant. They just assume you'll have water and whatever else you'd like.

Mister D
02-27-2013, 09:59 PM

I usually don't have to ask but they always seem to put lemon in it now. Lemon is actually a mild laxative and it took me a while to figure out why I had to go so badly after a trip to the diner.

Chris
02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Really? I don't think I've ever asked for water in a restaurant. They just assume you'll have water and whatever else you'd like.

Hmm, maybe that's down here. We have droughts in summer and have to ration water and they'd only give out water then if asked, finally restaurants just stopped pouring. Must just be these parts then. --Of course this is the center of the universe and I just assumed you all were just the same!

KC
02-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Hmm, maybe that's down here. We have droughts in summer and have to ration water and they'd only give out water then if asked, finally restaurants just stopped pouring. Must just be these parts then. --Of course this is the center of the universe and I just assumed you all were just the same!

And here I am a few miles away from Lake Michigan- have been my entire life.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 10:05 PM
I usually don't have to ask but they always seem to put lemon in it now. Lemon is actually a mild laxative and it took me a while to figure out why I had to go so badly after a trip to the diner.
I guess you're not a big fan of lemonade?

Mister D
02-27-2013, 10:09 PM
I guess you're not a big fan of lemonade?

I actually like pink lemonade but, yeah, it wreaks havoc. I think the fresh lemons are the worst though.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 10:30 PM
I actually like pink lemonade but, yeah, it wreaks havoc. I think the fresh lemons are the worst though.
That's unfortunate. My favorite drinks and desserts (when I eat them) involve lemons. I really like tart things!

oceanloverOH
02-27-2013, 10:49 PM
You can be logical with language but language itself is not logical.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0OZTQkGtew

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 10:51 PM
We had this trick we used to do with our kids. We'd cut a lemon and toss the wedges to them and the would just devour them, skin and all.

I don't know what we were depriving them of, but it was a pretty cool trick.

Chris
02-27-2013, 10:55 PM
Spock is too emotional. H.A.L. might do.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 10:56 PM
We had this trick we used to do with our kids. We'd cut a lemon and toss the wedges to them and the would just devour them, skin and all.

I don't know what we were depriving them of, but it was a pretty cool trick.

I had a dog some years ago that loved fruit so much that he would even eat pieces of lemon! We referred to him as the fruit bat. On the other hand he lived to be 18 years old.

Chloe
02-27-2013, 10:56 PM
I like root beer. I don't normally drink a whole lot of pop or anything, but root beer is usually the thing I will ask for. If I had to choose between coke and pepsi then i'd probably say pepsi since it doesn't seem to be as intense in my opinion.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 10:58 PM
I had a dog some years ago that loved fruit so much that he would even eat pieces of lemon! We referred to him as the fruit bat. On the other hand he lived to be 18 years old.

Well, two of my 3 kids have made it past 18 so that debunks your theory.

Dr. Who
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
well, two of my 3 kids have made it past 18 so that debunks your theory.

lol.

Chris
02-27-2013, 11:00 PM
And here I am a few miles away from Lake Michigan- have been my entire life.

Grew up an hour from Lake Michigan. Northwest of Chitown.

Captain Obvious
02-27-2013, 11:02 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW6nRQUG694

KC
02-28-2013, 12:22 AM

In Illinois? At one point I lived in Lake County, can't be to far from where you're describing.

zelmo1234
02-28-2013, 03:02 AM
it is geat to see that Coke is dong much better than pepsi! but Now I will give pepsi a boost.

Pepsi CO. Is a huge supporter of Handguns INC a gun control and banning organization! I used to drink their products until I found that out, mow I avoid their products and eateries, like Taco bell KFC ect. Just a personel choice but thought I would put that out their!

Chris
02-28-2013, 06:35 AM
In Illinois? At one point I lived in Lake County, can't be to far from where you're describing.

McHenry Country.

KC
02-28-2013, 08:21 AM
McHenry Country.

I have a lot of friends from McHenry

Chris
02-28-2013, 08:28 AM
I have a lot of friends from McHenry

South, Cary, close to the Fox River.

Threeup63
03-11-2013, 12:03 AM
I can only drink diet coke,i'm diabetic.

LoudMcCloud
03-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Coke and Pepsi are poison. I can't touch the stuff. Water only please. GMOs are gonna make yo kids sterile.

TNHarley
03-28-2013, 07:58 AM
Either
Love them in the glass bottles!
I knwo they are not good for you, but I cant drink plain water
If I drink plain water, I have to take a TUMS or Rolaids. Do not know why

Common
04-12-2013, 10:14 PM
I never was a soda nut, my wife was a pepsi person all her life. She has since stopped drinking alot of it and drinks it sparingly. I drink water or wine with meals and she drinks water. We also drink crystal lite somethines.

Mister D
04-12-2013, 10:15 PM
I never liked alcohol with a meal. I like t before and after but never with food.

Peter1469
04-12-2013, 10:17 PM
What about wine?

Mister D
04-12-2013, 10:18 PM
What about wine?

Before and after. I like water with food.

Peter1469
04-12-2013, 10:22 PM
I like paired wine with my food. But that can be hard to do every day!

Mister D
04-12-2013, 10:27 PM
I like paired wine with my food. But that can be hard to do every day!

I think I'm in a small minority. I like wine and I think most people that do like it with food.

Peter1469
04-12-2013, 10:29 PM
If you pick right, it really compliments the food.

Mister D
04-12-2013, 10:32 PM
I've had it with meatballs. Speaking of which, I hope grass fed is still on sale tomorrow. Stuffed cabbage...

Mister D
04-12-2013, 10:33 PM
I have noticed that red wine helps my digestion.

roadmaster
04-12-2013, 10:49 PM
I try to drink more water and juice. When I was young we only got 1 Pepsi per week, on Sunday. We either had tea, water or milk. They changed the taste of Pepsi and Coke back then. Now I don't drink either. Will still have a MTN DEW but not much. Besides if you want to keep your teeth healthy, drink more water. They showed how putting mtn dew on paint would dissolve it, or make it easy to pull off, what's it doing to your teeth and the other soda's.

roadmaster
04-12-2013, 10:54 PM
I have noticed that red wine helps my digestion.
Red wine is good for the heart too. I have one bottle that's been sitting there for months. I will have a small glass when the dish calls for it.

Mister D
04-12-2013, 10:58 PM
Red wine is good for the heart too. I have one bottle that's been sitting there for months. I will have a small glass when the dish calls for it.

I'll have two or three. Then some beer. :grin:

Common
04-12-2013, 11:18 PM
I drink red wines, Chianti, Malbecs, Merlot and Cabernet Savignons only with pasta dishs and some other italian dishs. I only drink one white wine and that is rarely with chicken or fish and thats Pinot Grigio.
I dont drink tons of wine, one glass with dinner and sometimes a half a glass or so after.

Micketto
04-18-2013, 01:47 PM
1st place: Diet Dew
Distant 2nd: Coke
Even more distant 3rd: Pepsi

Cigar
04-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Where's Sprite or 7up?

KC
04-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Where's Sprite or 7up?

This one's just for Colas :smiley:

Cigar
04-18-2013, 02:00 PM
This one's just for Colas :smiley:

About 20 years ago I stopped splashing the coke with Jim Beam :)