PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Manning pleaded guilty to some charges

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 07:32 AM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/manning-pleads-guilty-leaking-classified-documents_704866.html

He pleaded not guilty to the more serious charges.

I would have referred the case as capital.

Alif Qadr
03-01-2013, 08:29 AM
Treason and treasonous activities are capital offenses.

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Yes, they are.

Devil's Advocate
03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm rather baffled. Here, we have a kid who enlisted in the military after extensive social difficulties, and continued to have difficulties while serving.

He released information out of frustration, and now, he's being prosecuted.

Foreign policy is not more important than social policy.

Mister D
03-01-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm rather baffled. Here, we have a kid who enlisted in the military after extensive social difficulties, and continued to have difficulties while serving.

What? There is a big difference between being Devil's advocate and being...well you know.

Peter1469

It is a sign of a broken force that he was allowed to retain his security clearance. His unit felt like it couldn't dump him and do its mission.

Pete7469

He was a leftist infiltrator who knew exactly what he wanted to do, and slipped through the cracks because the army needed recruits. Bed wetters like that didn't used to make it through basic.

Chloe
03-01-2013, 10:18 PM
I don't really know how I feel about this person. On one hand I know what he did was technically wrong but on the other hand I can see how he probably thought it was the right thing to do. I don't think he should be in prison for the rest of his life or be put to death though.

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 10:19 PM
He was a leftist infiltrator who knew exactly what he wanted to do, and slipped through the cracks because the army needed recruits. Bed wetters like that didn't used to make it through basic.

He certainly didn't go through basic at Sand Hill, Ft. Benning.....

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 10:20 PM
I don't really know how I feel about this person. On one hand I know what he did was technically wrong but on the other hand I can see how he probably thought it was the right thing to do. I don't think he should be in prison the rest of his life or be put to death though.

I would shoot him in the head myself. Sorry.

Chloe
03-01-2013, 10:21 PM

I know. It's a very touchy subject and I think personal experience will probably be the main thing that helps people decide their feelings around him. I would imagine most military people have no sympathy for him.

Mister D
03-01-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm surprised any American would.

Chloe
03-01-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm surprised any American would.

I guess that puts me in an awkward spot then. I'm not saying that I completely agree with what he did but I can see why maybe he felt compelled to do it I guess.

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 10:27 PM
I guess that puts me in an awkward spot then. I'm not saying that I completely agree with what he did but I can see why maybe he felt compelled to do it I guess.

I actually enjoy seeing the government squirm when Wikileaks releases more information. But I would still put a bullet in Mannings head to deter others from doing the same thing.

Mister D
03-01-2013, 10:28 PM

The Rosenbergs felt compelled to spy for the Soviets. It was the right thing to do. They were rightfully executed.

Mister D
03-01-2013, 10:29 PM
I actually enjoy seeing the government squirm when Wikileaks releases more information. But I would still put a bullet in Mannings head to deter others from doing the same thing.

Me too on both counts.

roadmaster
03-01-2013, 10:33 PM

You are being too nice. He doesn't deserve a quick death.

Chloe
03-01-2013, 10:35 PM
What did he do to deserve being killed though?

Mister D
03-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Treason

roadmaster
03-01-2013, 10:38 PM
What did he do to deserve being killed though?

Lets put it this way, if your dad was out in the woods hiding from people trying to kill him, but he didn't do anything wrong, how would you feel if a young man came up and told them where he was because he thought it was the right thing to do?

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 10:42 PM
You are being too nice. He doesn't deserve a quick death.

Disagree. It is no light matter.

Chloe
03-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Why not prison and maybe counseling or something to try and figure out what affected him so much that he'd be willing to do that?

Mister D
03-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Why not prison and maybe counseling or something to try and figure out what affected him so much that he'd be willing to do that?

Counseling?

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 10:49 PM

Because it isn't about him. It is about all of the other soldiers who may be thinking the same thing. It should be done. I wouldn't be happy about it. Just chalk it up to something else to confess later.

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 10:51 PM
Because it isn't about him. It is about all of the other soldiers who may be thinking the same thing. It should be done. I wouldn't be happy about it. Just chalk it up to something else to confess later.

And of course I am not advocating for anything outside of the normal UCMJ process. I started this by saying that I would have referred his case as capital. I am not talking about taking him out back and killing him.

roadmaster
03-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Disagree. It is no light matter.
Didn't say it was. Give him one hour to feel the pain he inflicted on others while he sat behind his computer not caring about the lives he put in danger. Could have been anyone's friend or relative but he didn't care.

roadmaster
03-01-2013, 11:01 PM
And of course I am not advocating for anything outside of the normal UCMJ process. I started this by saying that I would have referred his case as capital. I am not talking about taking him out back and killing him.

I could feel something for him if he had been torchered, or someone put a gun to a loves one head but that wasn't the case.

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 11:04 PM
I could feel something for him if he had been torchered, or someone put a gun to a loves one head but that wasn't the case.

Are you volunteering for that duty? I couldn't do it.

roadmaster
03-01-2013, 11:16 PM
Are you volunteering for that duty? I couldn't do it. Why not? Yes, I know I could.

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Why not? Yes, I know I could.

Fair enough.

Adelaide
03-01-2013, 11:37 PM

"Leftist infiltrator"? Highly doubtful.

Adelaide
03-01-2013, 11:39 PM
I don't support capital punishment; cases of treason or high treason make me briefly reconsider.

Peter1469
03-01-2013, 11:42 PM
I don't support capital punishment; cases of treason or high treason make me briefly reconsider.

In general, I don't support it either.

roadmaster
03-01-2013, 11:58 PM

Well he is a democrat and an openly gay man also. If any had to do with his decision, I don't know.

Peter1469
03-02-2013, 12:01 AM
He was an emotional train wreck. He never should have been given a security clearance.

Adelaide
03-02-2013, 12:01 AM
He was an emotional train wreck. He never should have been given a security clearance.

Whoever gave it to him should also be held accountable.

Peter1469
03-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Whoever gave it to him should also be held accountable.

There was an investigation into that. I believe that people got relieved over it, but I don't have first hand knowledge.

Adelaide
03-02-2013, 12:25 AM
There was an investigation into that. I believe that people got relieved over it, but I don't have first hand knowledge.

I would think it's more systemic than specific to certain people; but yeah, I am sure they looked into it and have tried to fix flaws in the system. But it will happen again, most likely.

Peter1469
03-02-2013, 12:51 AM
I would think it's more systemic than specific to certain people; but yeah, I am sure they looked into it and have tried to fix flaws in the system. But it will happen again, most likely.

Yea, we can't use thumb drives or read-write CDs anymore.

The real problem is screening people and getting all of the billets filled.

Same problem that let MAJ Hassan through the cracks.

Devil's Advocate
03-03-2013, 03:45 AM
It is a sign of a broken force that he was allowed to retain his security clearance. His unit felt like it couldn't dump him and do its mission.

That's putting it lightly, and that's why I don't agree with his prosecution.

It's also a sign of a broken country. To accuse him of treason is to ignore how he's a victim of unwoven social fabric.

If anyone committed treason, it's his country against him.

Peter1469
03-03-2013, 10:01 AM

It's also a sign of a broken country. To accuse him of treason is to ignore how he's a victim of unwoven social fabric.

He is still responsible for his own actions. Put a bullet in his head, then address the problems with the military.

Mister D
03-03-2013, 10:50 AM

Yeah, Manning and Dorner are victims of society.

Mind you, this sentiment isn't rare. Is this country really worth saving?

Devil's Advocate
03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
He is still responsible for his own actions. Put a bullet in his head, then address the problems with the military.

No. You're ignoring duress, harassment, and provocation.

Blaming him is like blaming someone who's tickled for kicking another in the face.

Devil's Advocate
03-03-2013, 07:04 PM
Yeah, Manning and Dorner are victims of society.

Thank you for understanding.

Mind you, this sentiment isn't rare. Is this country really worth saving?

You're confusing me.

Peter1469
03-03-2013, 07:05 PM
No. You're ignoring duress, harassment, and provocation.

Blaming him is like blaming someone who's tickled for kicking another in the face.

That is a poor analogy.

Mister D
03-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Thank you for understanding.

You're confusing me.

That was sarcasm. :smiley: No doubt you are a very confused young man.

Dr. Who
03-03-2013, 09:06 PM
http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/manning-pleads-guilty-leaking-classified-documents_704866.html

He pleaded not guilty to the more serious charges.

I would have referred the case as capital.

I wouldn't have thought that a PFC would be privy to state secrets.

Peter1469
03-03-2013, 09:25 PM
I wouldn't have thought that a PFC would be privy to state secrets.

He was a SPC. Intel wennie. And he had SIPERNET access. That is where he copied the data on read-write DCs.

Dr. Who
03-03-2013, 09:32 PM
He was a SPC. Intel wennie. And he had SIPERNET access. That is where he copied the data on read-write DCs.
Sounds like the psych clearance was a failure. The question is, is it the fault of the mentally unbalanced for being accepted into Intel or the fault of the screeners for not detecting a problem? At the end of the day, it comes down to whether he knew what he was doing was wrong and did it anyway.

Peter1469
03-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Sounds like the psych clearance was a failure. The question is, is it the fault of the mentally unbalanced for being accepted into Intel or the fault of the screeners for not detecting a problem? At the end of the day, it comes down to whether he knew what he was doing was wrong and did it anyway.

The force is broken from a decade of war. They took someone who had a pulse.

Pete7469
03-04-2013, 12:40 PM

I would load your weapon.

Chloe
03-04-2013, 12:55 PM
I would load your weapon.

I would switch the ammunition with blanks ;)

Pete7469
03-04-2013, 01:00 PM

This little bed wetter was motivated by his self absorbed "gay rights" agenda and hated the military's policies.

Maybe not a leftist though and through, but the issue that dominated his actions has been pushed by the left for decades.

I'd seriously doubt he wouldn't have an obama sticker on his car.

Pete7469
03-04-2013, 01:01 PM

That would just cause him to suffer longer from concussion and severe powder burns while I reloaded with hollow points.

Peter1469
03-04-2013, 01:03 PM

I know the difference.

Chloe
03-04-2013, 01:05 PM
I know the difference.

Hmmm well then ill just have to ban bullets then :)

Pete7469
03-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Hmmm well then ill just have to ban bullets then :)

You have to ban the magazines first Chloe, you and I both know leftist tyranny has to be done step by step incrimentally.

Chloe
03-04-2013, 01:07 PM
I probably shouldn't be making jokes about this stuff

Pete7469
03-04-2013, 01:14 PM
I probably shouldn't be making jokes about this stuff

It's not really something to joke about, since "progessive" tyranny has been very bloody historically, regardless of the speed at which it's implimented. Once in place it has to stiffle all opposition to it, or it rots from within. Regardless, it always fails and it does so with dreadful consequences.

nic34
03-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Bradley Manning served democracy far better than the generals who want him sent to jail

Soldiers keeping their mouths shut keeps things in the same sorry condition, writes Afghanistan veteran and author Joe Glenton

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/bradley-manning-served-democracy-far-better-than-the-generals-who-want-him-sent-to-jail-8518338.html

Peter1469
03-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Soldiers keeping their mouths shut keeps things in the same sorry condition, writes Afghanistan veteran and author Joe Glenton

That would be a strange argument for someone in an all volunteer force to make.