PDA

View Full Version : Spending Cuts May Be Answer to Slow Economic Growth Read more: http://www.realclearp

Chris
03-07-2013, 06:36 AM
In these times of slow economic growth doesn't it make sense to slow government growth? Other nations show our current policies wrongheaded and that there's another direction to head in.

...Economic growth is the product of increases in the labor supply and productivity, he argues uncontroversially.

But the U.S. labor force -- even assuming we get back to full employment -- is not increasing as rapidly as it did when baby boomers and Gen Xers were reaching their working years.

As for productivity, Cowen argues that we simply haven't had the kind of innovations in technology or means of production that we saw in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

..."Government accounting is explicitly based on the assumption that spending grows, in real terms, every year -- difficult to achieve unless the economy grows at least as much."

Which suggests a question: Is new-normal slow growth inevitable?...

...Barack Obama has been trying to stimulate the economy with record-high government spending funded by higher tax rates and Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke's low interest rates.

But as Stanford economist Michael Boskin points out in The Wall Street Journal, "Japan tried that, to little effect, in the 1990s." Slow growth has become the new normal there.

...There are alternative policies. One is to cut government spending, or cut it more than you raise taxes. As Boskin points out, the Netherlands in the mid-1990s and Sweden in the mid-2000s "stabilized their budgets without recession (with) $5-$6 of actual spending cuts per dollar of tax hikes."

And he notes that Canada reduced government spending in the mid-1990s and early 2000s by an amount equal to 8 percent of gross domestic product.

Those cuts weren't painless, but they put Canada on a trajectory different from ours. Canadian voters value budget surpluses, and Canada managed to avoid almost all the bad effects of the 2007-09 recession.

@ Spending Cuts May Be Answer to Slow Economic Growth (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/03/07/spending_cuts_may_be_answer_to_slow_economic_growt h_117319.html#ixzz2Mqv82rku )

Agravan
03-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Blasphemer!!!:slap:

Chris
03-07-2013, 07:25 AM
No scruples at all, I know. :-(

Cigar
03-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Personally I prefer economic growth to go at the same pace any CEO or Hedge Fund Manager believes economic growth should perform.

But that's just me, your mileage my vary.

Alif Qadr
03-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Personally I prefer economic growth to go at the same pace any CEO or Hedge Fund Manager believes economic growth should perform.

But that's just me, your mileage my vary.

Incomparable, illogical and impossible. The compensation of CEOs has nothing to do with government spending. I that you are thinking tax cuts and bailouts but those account for a small portion of government spending. The actual culprits are:
1.) a enormous military budget
2.) foreign aid
3.) contracts
4.) cost overruns due to lack of contract timeline and fulfillment
5.) social programs, including points 1, 2, 3 & 4

I am sure there are more contributory factors to the ever increasing debt so feel free to add what I left out.

Cigar
03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Incomparable, illogical and impossible. The compensation of CEOs has nothing to do with government spending. I that you are thinking tax cuts and bailouts but those account for a small portion of government spending. The actual culprits are:
1.) a enormous military budget
2.) foreign aid
3.) contracts
4.) cost overruns due to lack of contract timeline and fulfillment
5.) social programs, including points 1, 2, 3 & 4

I am sure there are more contributory factors to the ever increasing debt so feel free to add what I left out.

Good ... so you agree the Government shouldn't be run like a commercial business.

I've been saying that for years. :yo2:

Private Pickle
03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Are you sure?? Cause I am pretty sure taking more money from people who are already dealing with an overburdening tax policy is a good thing for the economy... I mean look at all the examples of where it has succeeded in the past! :facepalm:

simpsonofpg
03-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Growing goverment does not grow the economy, it just creates a new level of people who can't or won't work. Have you been to a goverment office lately and tried to get some help. It is almost impossible.

Cigar
03-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Growing goverment does not grow the economy, it just creates a new level of people who can't or won't work. Have you been to a goverment office lately and tried to get some help. It is almost impossible.

So let me get this straight ... according to "you" people who have Government Jobs can't or won't work? Have you ever experienced this in the private sector or is this just a characteristic that is adopted once you become a Government Worker?

Don't get me wrong, I do believe Government has waist ... I mean, how many days does Confessor work a year?

BTW ... I have 2 uncles who worked for the Government all their lives, now retired.

One was a Cardiothoracic surgeon for the VA
The other was a letter carrier.

Both loved their jobs and were honored to server their country in battle and civilian lives.

Mainecoons
03-07-2013, 02:13 PM
Government spending misallocates and squanders capital that can be used for innovation and creation of real jobs, not parasite ones. Solyndra wasn't an exceptional example of how government does this, it was absolutely consistent with how government screws up whatever it touches.

Alif Qadr
03-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Good ... so you agree the Government shouldn't be run like a commercial business.

Government is not a business nor should it be run like one, in my opinion. Sure there is management of taxation, legislation, foreign affairs, etc but these things are kept simple by not viewing the nation as an empire. Once this type of view is taken as duty of government, the last conquering frontier is the domestic front, which always ends badly for all parties involved.
Moreover, nor should government be viewed as a bank account for anyone. The purpose of taxation is to help maintain infrastructure that is vital to the well-being of the physical aspect of the nation. Nor should government venture into the business of educating the population for it is these encroachments that cause loyalty to government when that should never be the case. Government should be loyal to the citizens that allow its existence and not the reverse of this. This, government involvement in education, is a sure route to totalitarianism.

Chris
03-07-2013, 05:39 PM

Agree, businesses are accountable by whether they profit, what is government success measured by? Not profits, as you say. Not by efficiency or effectiveness, you lose funding that way. Not by voters, all we do is elect one set of bums or the other.