PDA

View Full Version : How Workers Laid Off from a Chicago Factory Took It Over Themselves

Cigar
03-08-2013, 08:20 AM
How Workers Laid Off from a Chicago Factory Took It Over Themselves (now they own it)http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/how-cooperatives-are-driving-the-new-economy/chicago-factory-workers/THEMERoblesRivkin.jpg

When their boss tried to fire them, the workers of Republic Windows and Doors occupied the factory. Now they own it as a cooperative.

Armando Robles, left, and Melvin Macklin at their union offices. The two have been fighting to keep their factory open for the past four years. Photo by Amanda Rivkin.

Four years ago, as the recession took hold and layoffs around the country were approaching 500,000 a month, a group of workers in Chicago saved a factory and inspired a nation. Fired by their boss, they occupied instead of leaving. Fired by a second boss, they occupied and formed a worker’s cooperative. Now they are worker-owners of a load of equipment and they’re setting up a factory in a new location.

All they want to do is to get back to making and selling windows. It shouldn’t be this hard to keep good jobs in Chicago, but “A cooperative can be a way of surviving, of moving forward,” says Armando Robles, one of the workers.

Robles was one of 250 workers fired in December 2008 without notice or severance by Republic Windows and Doors when the company announced it was closing its Chicago factory. The company said that it could no longer operate because it had lost its line of credit with Bank of America. The irony of the situation was clear. Bank of America had received billions in government bailouts to keep the economy working, and yet the Republic workers were being laid off without their entitled payments and benefits. Supported by their union, the United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers of America, Robles and his fellow workers voted to resist. They occupied the plant for six days, winning back pay, severance, and time for a new company to take ownership. Generating thousands of articles and news reports about their fight, they encouraged a downcast nation, even an incoming U.S. president.

At a press conference during the factory occupation, then President-elect Barack Obama declared: “When it comes to the situation here in Chicago, with the workers who are asking for their benefits and payments they have earned … I think they are absolutely right.”

http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/how-cooperatives-are-driving-the-new-economy/chicago-factory-workers

zelmo1234
03-08-2013, 08:23 AM
good for them I hope that they make it. This is the American spirit that we need so desparatly. And if the Union was involv ed, then they deserve credit, this is what unions should do instead of taking dues and funding the DNC

Cigar
03-08-2013, 08:29 AM
good for them I hope that they make it. This is the American spirit that we need so desparatly. And if the Union was involv ed, then they deserve credit, this is what unions should do instead of taking dues and funding the DNC

You do know that Lawyers aren't free ... :wink:

zelmo1234
03-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Yes and if the Union paid for them I think that is great. It sounds like the brokered a deal to purchase the company and keep producing windows.

They are moving to a new location, my guess is the new locations will ahve a new name, and I would not be surprised if it was not a union shop as the workers are owners, the union wild have nobody to represent! thus the move to avoid the union! that is just a guess

Cigar
03-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Yes and if the Union paid for them I think that is great. It sounds like the brokered a deal to purchase the company and keep producing windows.

They are moving to a new location, my guess is the new locations will ahve a new name, and I would not be surprised if it was not a union shop as the workers are owners, the union wild have nobody to represent! thus the move to avoid the union! that is just a guess

I'll try and find out

Taxcutter
03-08-2013, 01:06 PM
The record of ESOPs is pretty grim. Odds are this business goes under yet again.

Peter1469
03-08-2013, 03:13 PM
You do know that Lawyers aren't free ... :wink:

I know that.

Cigar
03-08-2013, 03:19 PM
The record of ESOPs is pretty grim. Odds are this business goes under yet again.

There are no guarantees ... just looking for an opportunity