PDA

View Full Version : Queen to sign charter backing gay rights

Adelaide
03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
The words “other grounds” are said to refer to sexuality however any specific references to gay people are not included to avoid antagonising Commonwealth countries that retain laws against homosexuals, according to the Mail on Sunday.

The charter is the first time the Commonwealth has had a single document setting out the "core values of the organisation and the aspiration of its members".

The document includes affirmations on democracy, human rights, international peace and security as well as freedom of expression. It also contains a commitment to "gender equality" and “women’s empowerment”.

The charter was agreed by all Commonwealth heads of government in December.

Queen to sign new charter backing gay rights - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9920238/Queen-to-sign-new-charter-backing-gay-rights.html)

I think this is pretty cool - the Queen and the royal family represent tradition and from all accounts are extremely traditional in their beliefs. For this to happen, and for all the Commonwealth heads to agree, is huge in terms of progress.

Chris
03-10-2013, 02:27 PM
While I agree, governments should not discriminate, I think she/charter is being too PC. Maybe I'm being too picky but the wording "other grounds" implies there are reasonable grounds before the law to discriminate by race etc when there are not. I would suggest instead of "grounds" the word "inanities."

Chris
03-10-2013, 02:29 PM
While I agree, governments should not discriminate, I think she/charter is being too PC. Maybe I'm being too picky but the wording "other grounds" implies there are reasonable grounds before the law to discriminate by race etc when there are not. I would suggest instead of "grounds" the word "inanities."

The Telegraph participates in such inanity when it speaks of "gay rights". There are no special rights, just rights. We are all created equal before the law.