PDA

View Full Version : What to do about the Keystone XL Pipeline

Dimitri
03-10-2013, 10:52 PM
As of March 1, 2013, the State Department released a draft assessment of its stance on the environmental impact of the Keystone XL Pipeline, saying that it would have little effect on climate change. This is complete nonsense, and as of the 1st of March, the public has 45 days to strongly oppose this draft and convince Obama to not give the project the go-ahead.

I'd like people's opinions on how you think we should go about making our voices heard. I was apart of the 35000+ person protest last month in D.C., and this obviously received major press. But do you think that another large obedient protest would do the job? Or do we need to take drastic measures and utilize civil disobedience to get our point across. If so, what ideas do you have?

Thanks for any input!

Peter1469
03-10-2013, 11:01 PM
As of March 1, 2013, the State Department released a draft assessment of its stance on the environmental impact of the Keystone XL Pipeline, saying that it would have little effect on climate change. This is complete nonsense, and as of the 1st of March, the public has 45 days to strongly oppose this draft and convince Obama to not give the project the go-ahead.

I'd like people's opinions on how you think we should go about making our voices heard. I was apart of the 35000+ person protest last month in D.C., and this obviously received major press. But do you think that another large obedient protest would do the job? Or do we need to take drastic measures and utilize civil disobedience to get our point across. If so, what ideas do you have?

Thanks for any input!

Welcome. I am all for the exploration of resources. This is my preference:

http://energyvictory.net/

Dimitri
03-10-2013, 11:41 PM
I agree that we need to declare energy independence, particularly from OPEC, but I don't believe that increasing oil operations on our own lands is the best way to go about it. While it leads to our independence, it also hurts the environment, because it exploits the earth's natural resources and damages surrounding lands and natural habitats. It also promotes our and the world's dependence on fossil fuels, which have damaged the environment and altered the climate. I believe if we focus on renewable energy resources, we can meet the goal of energy independence and improve our economy by importing less oil and expanding clean energy industries to create jobs.

zelmo1234
03-11-2013, 12:47 AM
I agree that we need to declare energy independence, particularly from OPEC, but I don't believe that increasing oil operations on our own lands is the best way to go about it. While it leads to our independence, it also hurts the environment, because it exploits the earth's natural resources and damages surrounding lands and natural habitats. It also promotes our and the world's dependence on fossil fuels, which have damaged the environment and altered the climate. I believe if we focus on renewable energy resources, we can meet the goal of energy independence and improve our economy by importing less oil and expanding clean energy industries to create jobs.

Sounds great, when do you think it will start helping the ecnomy? As of the present date it has produce only higher energy prices that are a strain on the economy!

Forrest
03-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Wasting time. Stop USA population growth. Bringing in appx. 1 million legal immigrants a month.
No pipeline, "root hog or die."

roadmaster
03-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Wasting time. Stop USA population growth. Bringing in appx. 1 million legal immigrants a month.
No pipeline, "root hog or die."

We do need to stop the illegal immigrants but so far no President has done so.

Deadwood
03-14-2013, 03:56 PM

Thanks for any input!

This is one time I have to agree with the US State department.

You have been deceived by wizard like trickery. You see they present statistics that show 'oh man this is a killer' and add up the carbon needed to both make the steel and build it, add the amount of oil that will flow through it in 50 years and present you with a comparison showing, what a surprise!, Keystone is bad.

Now, let's back up and put that old pipeline in perspective. It will carry at its full capacity about 15% of the present production from the Alberta Tar sands. Now, put the whole tar sands in perspective; add up all the energy created to clear the area, dig up the sand, steam out the tar, pump it to the pipeline, all of the energy is, wait for it, .08% of what China consumes in a day.

No, the impact on global warming is VERY minor.

If we really want to improve the environment instead of just making political mischief, then we need to get honest and look at who the offenders are.....US. We are the ones who want cheap, Chinese shit manufactured in sweat shops under pollutants so bad they had to delay Olympic events because of the smog.

That's where we have to start......

and that is why it will never happen

roadmaster
03-14-2013, 04:10 PM
No, the impact on global warming is VERY minor.
Don't care and do want it to go through but not over or close to the water.

Peter1469
03-14-2013, 05:26 PM
Without the pipeline, Canada will still extract the oil- it will just go somewhere else.

roadmaster
03-16-2013, 12:09 PM
Without the pipeline, Canada will still extract the oil- it will just go somewhere else.

True but we don't make water. China doesn't care but we should. It's important for us to make it as responsible as we can. Besides BC is also against it but we should just take it away from the water.