PDA

View Full Version : Hoover’s Howlers

Mister D
11-16-2011, 01:12 PM
A review of the new Hoover film.

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/283287/hoover-s-howlers-charles-c-johnson?pg=1

Conley
11-16-2011, 01:19 PM
It's unfortunate that Eastwood chose a scriptwriter with such an obvious bias.

Mister D
11-16-2011, 01:23 PM
It's unfortunate that Eastwood chose a scriptwriter with such an obvious bias.

I didn;t even realize this was an Eastwood film until I read this review. Yeah, that's disappointing. I'm a big East wood fan.

Conley
11-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I remembered reading it was Eastwood only because when I first heard of the project it seemed like an Oliver Stone kind of flick. The little I know of Hoover makes it seem like he was a very complicated dude, as the NR article suggests. It's unfortunate that such liberties would be taken with the script.

Also, I don't think most of the people who will watch this know what Hoover looked like. To go so far with the transformation of DiCaprio is distracting, at least to me. They could have settled for an approximation. It's not some comedy show where we are looking for impersonations.

Mister D
11-16-2011, 01:34 PM
I remembered reading it was Eastwood only because when I first heard of the project it seemed like an Oliver Stone kind of flick. The little I know of Hoover makes it seem like he was a very complicated dude, as the NR article suggests. It's unfortunate that such liberties would be taken with the script.

Also, I don't think most of the people who will watch this know what Hoover looked like. To go so far with the transformation of DiCaprio is distracting, at least to me. They could have settled for an approximation. It's not some comedy show where we are looking for impersonations.

I'm not surprised. Historical films and bios tend to play fast and loose with the facts.

The DiCaprio transformation looks bizarre. Like I said, he looks like an ET. :o

Conley
11-16-2011, 01:35 PM

I'm not surprised. Historical films and bios tend to play fast and loose with the facts.

I wonder why he was chosen for the part. Physical appearance? Voice? Acting chops?

Mister D
11-16-2011, 01:41 PM

I wonder why he was chosen for the part. Physical appearance? Voice? Acting chops?

Beats the heck out of me. I never saw him as a great actor and he certainly doesn't look anything like Hoover.