PDA

View Full Version : Study Finds Fox News Spends Far More Time on ‘Factual Reporting’ Than…MSNBC

wazi99
03-18-2013, 06:05 PM
This study was done by Pew.

A separate analysis of cable in late 2012 finds that, over all, commentary and opinion are far more prevalent on the air throughout the day (63% of the airtime) than straight news reporting (37%). CNN is the only channel to offer more reporting (54%) than opinion (46%), though by a small margin. By far the highest percentage of opinion and commentary is on MSNBC (85% to 15% reporting). Fox was in between at 55% commentary and 45% reporting.

Read more here: http://stateofthemedia.org/2013/special-reports-landing-page/the-changing-tv-news-landscape/

Maybe its time we stop calling MSNBC a news station...

wazi99
03-18-2013, 06:19 PM
The Chicago Tribune added that, based on the study, MSNBC has done the most to “ratchet up partisanship.” http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-cnn-becoming-more-like-fox-msnbc-pew-report-finds-20130318,0,6634486.story

Adelaide
03-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Fox and MSNBC are both terrible sources for information.

It's too bad the US doesn't have legislation about journalistic integrity. Or if they do, it's lacking.

Peter1469
03-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Journalism used to be self policing. Now it is - well, not journalism.

Adelaide
03-18-2013, 06:57 PM

Exactly.

You can be fined or lose your broadcast license (something along those lines) if you knowingly lie on the air, here. It has nothing to do with free speech, but with ensuring that an organization isn't saying "this is the truth" while knowingly not telling the truth. An opinion piece should be represented as one, not as news. But I could see Americans having a problem with it.

Peter1469
03-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Exactly.

You can be fined or lose your broadcast license (something along those lines) if you knowingly lie on the air, here. It has nothing to do with free speech, but with ensuring that an organization isn't saying "this is the truth" while knowingly not telling the truth. An opinion piece should be represented as one, not as news. But I could see Americans having a problem with it.

We only have "decency" laws so far as I know.

I don't think that lying is the issue here so much as misrepresentation.

Adelaide
03-18-2013, 07:07 PM
We only have "decency" laws so far as I know.

I don't think that lying is the issue here so much as misrepresentation.

Same shit, different pile. :)

Peter1469
03-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Same shit, different pile. :)

True. Misrepresentation can be a lot more effective than lying though.... :smiley:

Mister D
03-18-2013, 07:11 PM

Journalists have always allowed their biases to impact their reporting but the difference now is that some journalists couldn't even be bother to affect objectivity. Of course that's partly the public's fault. They know many of their viewers aren't truly seeking unbiased reportage.

Captain Obvious
03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Journalism is being/has been replaced by sensationalism.

Peter1469
03-18-2013, 07:47 PM
Journalism is being/has been replaced by sensationalism.

That and manipulation.

Cigar
03-19-2013, 06:46 AM
http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/images/item/fnc-greta-20121104-morrislandslide.jpg

nic34
03-19-2013, 11:11 AM
The bush cabal had the "media" the repubs and many of the dems eating out of their lying hands..... remember that when pointing fingers.

Pete7469
03-19-2013, 02:31 PM
Fox is the only station I can stand to watch, but I rarely watch news. If there is a "balanced" news outlet they're closer to it than the rest combined. However I don't want "balance", I want the facts. I don't care to hear the perspective of a bed wetting liberal mouthpiece.

Mainecoons
03-19-2013, 02:33 PM
The bush cabal had the "media" the repubs and many of the dems eating out of their lying hands..... remember that when pointing fingers.

Yeah, that's why they attacked him endlessly.

Were you like 5 years old during that time and just too little to actually witness what was going on, so now you have to make it up?

:grin:

Adelaide
03-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Fox is the only station I can stand to watch, but I rarely watch news. If there is a "balanced" news outlet they're closer to it than the rest combined. However I don't want "balance", I want the facts. I don't care to hear the perspective of a bed wetting liberal mouthpiece.

Okay... I'm obviously very liberal. But I read literature that is far from it in an effort to understand opposing views, and to be able to counter them. Also, very educational and have resulted in shifting of my opinion.

It seems like you only want the facts you want to hear that also support your personal opinions?

Common
03-19-2013, 09:39 PM
Okay... I'm obviously very liberal. But I read literature that is far from it in an effort to understand opposing views, and to be able to counter them. Also, very educational and have resulted in shifting of my opinion.

It seems like you only want the facts you want to hear that also support your personal opinions?

I try to do the same, learn both sides Im not afraid to learn im wrong or that what I believed wasnt the right thing to do and shown to me to be wrong. Id rather learn that im wrong than run around with the wrong Ideals.

Captain Obvious
03-19-2013, 09:41 PM
I try to do the same, learn both sides Im not afraid to learn im wrong or that what I believed wasnt the right thing to do and shown to me to be wrong. Id rather learn that im wrong than run around with the wrong Ideals.

Rupert Murdoch is angry with you.

Pete7469
03-19-2013, 10:45 PM

Because I was a liberal when I was much younger. I found out everything I "knew" was basically bullshit. So I reject liberalism now, I can give their narative before the story breaks, I don't need their sock puppets on TV to regurgitate it.

I also don't need to hear the "right" rebuke their bullshit, I can do that myself.

Also I once again raise my objection that you're "very liberal". You have posted several oppinions I recall not adhereing to leftist dogma, since you seem to tilt more in favor of individua freedom and demonstrate critical thinking skills.

Don't insult yourself.

Private Pickle
03-19-2013, 11:21 PM
They all seem like they're full of shit...to me anyway...