PDA

View Full Version : Assault weapons ban dropped from Senate bill

Captain Obvious
03-19-2013, 04:27 PM
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/19/17373761-assault-weapons-ban-dropped-from-senate-bill?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1

snip

A ban on assault weapons won't be included in major gun legislation set to take shape this week -- all but guaranteeing it won't pass Congress.

Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a onetime ally of the National Rifle Association, informed California Sen. Dianne Feinstein on Monday that the proposal to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines won't be included in a broad package of new gun laws that's taking shape this week and will be considered on the Senate floor in April.

"People say well, are you disappointed? Obviously I'm disappointed," Feinstein told reporters Tuesday. Feinstein has worked on gun violence issues for decades.

BB-35
03-19-2013, 04:32 PM
http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/19/17373761-assault-weapons-ban-dropped-from-senate-bill?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=1

snip

All the while she was packing heat

hanger4
03-19-2013, 04:34 PM
Poor DiFi, first she gets

owned by little ol Ted Cruz

then she gets owned by her Senate.

Captain Obvious
03-19-2013, 04:50 PM
I feel bad for Cigar

... ok, not really.

nic34
03-19-2013, 05:00 PM

then she gets owned by her Senate.

The no-ban was expected.

The owning was little boy Cruz sipping his coffee.

Private Pickle
03-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Not surprising...they want to keep control of the Senate in the next election...it's not gonna help them and its just more evidence that they will sell out at the drop of a hat...

Cigar
03-19-2013, 07:19 PM
The no-ban was expected.

The owning was little boy Cruz sipping his coffee.

The more votes closer to elections, the better the momory of voters. :)

Common
03-19-2013, 07:30 PM
I never thought an assault ban would pass. I own guns myself and I am pro gun ownership. I also think Cruz is going to overstep his welcome eventually. If your all mouth and no substance like Allen in fla that will only carry you so far.

Peter1469
03-19-2013, 07:32 PM
I never thought an assault ban would pass. I own guns myself and I am pro gun ownership. I also think Cruz is going to overstep his welcome eventually. If your all mouth and no substance like Allen in fla that will only carry you so far.

By now substance, do you mean "what will I get if I vote for you?"

Private Pickle
03-19-2013, 07:46 PM
The more votes closer to elections, the better the momory of voters. :)

Did you mean the mammaries of the voters?

Ivan88
03-20-2013, 06:05 AM
It has been suggested that:
All public officials that seek to dis-arm the American People should be prohibited from possessing fire-arms and from having armed guards.
Think they will go for such a proposal?

Cigar
03-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Harry Reid is coward and he's covering for all the other cowards by not allowing a Vote. But the good news is, time is not on the side of those who appose assault weapons and clips ban. One battle doesn't make a War. Sooner or later the bones of the dinosaurs will be fully buried and put to rest.

Santa's Little Helper
03-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Harry Reid is coward and he's covering for all the other cowards by not allowing a Vote. But the good news is, time is not on the side of those who appose assault weapons and clips ban. One battle doesn't make a War. Sooner or later the bones of the dinosaurs will be fully buried and put to rest.

Say What?????????

Cigar
03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Say What?????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fgHATZ38054

hanger4
03-20-2013, 08:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=fgHATZ38054

She doesn't have to play dead,

her bill is dead.

To many Dem. Senators more interested in reelection than DiFi's pet-peeve.

Cigar
03-20-2013, 08:09 AM
She doesn't have to play dead,

her bill is dead.

To many Dem. Senators more interested in reelection than DiFi's pet-peeve.

Change takes time ... I give it a generation or two ... tops.

Greenridgeman
03-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Change takes time ... I give it a generation or two ... tops.

I am sure that when the People's Liberation Army arrives as repo men, we will be disarmed.

So, you are probably right.

Private Pickle
03-20-2013, 10:47 AM
It has been suggested that:
All public officials that seek to dis-arm the American People should be prohibited from possessing fire-arms and from having armed guards.
Think they will go for such a proposal?

That was actually pretty funny. It ignores the fact that there is an uneven distribution of rights...but it was funny...

Taxcutter
03-20-2013, 11:41 AM
Some more aspects of the repudiation of Feinstein’s bill.

Dirty Harry couldn’t scratch up 40 votes for it.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-congress/2013/03/reid-no-gun-control-bill-with-assault-weapons-ban-159746.html

quote:
“…her amendment, using the most optimistic numbers, has less than 40 votes…”

Taxcutter asks:
Where is that groundswell of support for an bogus “assaualt weapon” ban. They can’t even find forty DEMOCRATS willing to be publicly associated with such a loser.

The defeat of this bill was richly deserved.

http://reason.com/blog/2013/03/19/savor-the-richly-deserved-defeat-of-fein

Peter1469
03-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Harry Reid is protecting the seats coming up for re-election. It is all politics.

Mister D
03-20-2013, 06:54 PM

Even if that were to happen it won't significantly affect gun violence. Tyreal will still be dodging bullets.

Cigar
03-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Harry Reid, they deserve a vote.

Period.

Those children deserve a vote.
Gabby Giffords deserves a vote.
Hadiya Pendleton deserves a vote.
Trayvon Martin deserves a vote.
Every man, woman, and child who was killed by gun violence deserves a vote.

Period. A vote.

Forget the 60 to get it to the floor. Just put it out there and vote. Demand a vote.

Just a Vote ... how much is that to ask from our Government Leaders?

Mister D
03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Harry Reid, they deserve a vote.

Period.

Those children deserve a vote.
Gabby Giffords deserves a vote.
Hadiya Pendleton deserves a vote.
Trayvon Martin deserves a vote.
Every man, woman, and child who was killed by gun violence deserves a vote.

Period. A vote.

Forget the 60 to get it to the floor. Just put it out there and vote. Demand a vote.

Just a Vote ... how much is that to ask from our Government Leaders?

Pure emotionalism.

Cigar
03-21-2013, 02:38 PM
It's just a simple Vote, what are they afraid of?

Mister D
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Getting their asses tossed out of Congress, most likely.

What will such a ban accomplish?

Private Pickle
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Losing the Senate. :wink:

bladimz
03-21-2013, 04:37 PM

then she gets owned by her Senate.I think you got it all twisted there. Li'l Teddy got his ass handed to him by his superior.

Greenridgeman
03-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Pure emotionalism.

Hand him a hankie.

bladimz
03-21-2013, 04:50 PM
The important part of this bill is the Universal Background Checks anyway. That's really where it has to start. Why would any common-sense ordinary gun-owner reject such a simple regulation? How does this deny any sound-minded, law-abiding american his right to own a gun?

I know a lot of people want to jump right into the "gun confiscation" conspiracy mindset with both feet. But it is a huge leap indeed. When that happens, i (along with a huge bunch of others) will be right beside you nervous nellies, and you can count on it. The resistance fighters will be coming out of the woodwork when that happens. If that happens... :laugh:

Meantime, the UBC is common-sense. If someone wants to think that it's not going to make any difference, fine. Does that mean it shouldn't be made law?

Captain Obvious
03-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Nobody really opposed universal background checks, nobody really gives a shit about them.

That wasn't the premise of the bill - not by a longshot.

Nor was "gun control". What the basis of the bill was (is) is weakening the Constitution and limiting individual rights.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Greenridgeman
03-21-2013, 04:55 PM
I think you got it all twisted there. Li'l Teddy got his ass handed to him by his superior.

"Superiors" usually get their bills to the floor, especially when they belong to the ruling party.

Greenridgeman
03-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Nobody really opposed universal background checks, nobody really gives a shit about them.

That wasn't the premise of the bill - not by a longshot.

Nor was "gun control". What the basis of the bill was (is) is weakening the Constitution and limiting individual rights.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Do you have any thoughts on why the Obama administration has prosecuted fewer than one in a thousand people who lied on the BATF form required to purchase a gun, and therefore had their purchase denied because of the background check?

Captain Obvious
03-21-2013, 05:01 PM
Probably because most of them may have just been mistakes and to prosecute all of them (vs. prosecuting the blatant ones from convicted felons for example) would have been too costly.

Greenridgeman
03-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Probably because most of them may have just been mistakes and to prosecute all of them (vs. prosecuting the blatant ones from convicted felons for example) would have been too costly.

My youngest son is a gun department manager, and he says otherwise.

Convicted felons have been turned away almost daily for months, nobody gets prosecuted, though the BATF knows the convicted felon lied and tried to purchase a gun.