PDA

View Full Version : What's for dinner tonight?

Pages : [1] 2

oceanloverOH
03-21-2013, 10:06 AM
It's cold today....barely 34F. I think I'll make this for dinner tonight:

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

•1 to 1½ lb skinless boneless chicken breasts, boiled and diced
•½ cup vegetable oil
•½ cup flour
•1 pound smoked sausage, sliced into diagonal bite-size chunks
•1 med chopped onion
•1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
•½ cup chopped celery
•1 package frozen sliced okra
•3 tablespoons butter
•1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
•1 to 1½ tsp minced garlic
•2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
•1 bay leaf
•2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth

Preparation:
To make roux, heat oil in saucepan over med-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour turns a dark brown. Be careful not to burn. Set aside.

In a large Dutch oven, sauté sausage, onions, garlic, celery and red bell peppers in butter for approximately 10 minutes; add tomatoes. Stir in roux and seasonings and let simmer for 20 minutes. Slowly stir in chicken broth, chicken and okra; cover (tilt cover) and simmer over low heat for about 3 hours, stirring often. Serve over hot rice. Serves 6.

Mister D
03-21-2013, 11:21 AM
That sounds good. So it's served over rice? I thought rice went into it.

Santa's Little Helper
03-21-2013, 11:58 AM
I got a cuopon out of our towns free shopper paper for the Mexican Joint that opened across town

Probably do a burrito and afew extra tacos take for lunch tomorrow

oceanloverOH
03-21-2013, 12:51 PM

LOL, I don't put the rice in it because even brown rice spikes my blood sugar so badly. I serve it over rice for hubby. Either way.

Mister D
03-21-2013, 01:08 PM
LOL, I don't put the rice in it because even brown rice spikes my blood sugar so badly. I serve it over rice for hubby. Either way.

Ah, gotcha. Something didn't seem right. :smiley:

Cigar
03-21-2013, 01:50 PM

•½ cup vegetable oil
•½ cup flour
•1 med chopped onion
•½ cup chopped celery
•3 tablespoons butter
•1 bay leaf

Preparation:
To make roux, heat oil in saucepan over med-high heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour turns a dark brown. Be careful not to burn. Set aside.

In a large Dutch oven, sauté sausage, onions, garlic, celery and red bell peppers in butter for approximately 10 minutes; add tomatoes. Stir in roux and seasonings and let simmer for 20 minutes. Slowly stir in chicken broth, chicken and okra; cover (tilt cover) and simmer over low heat for about 3 hours, stirring often. Serve over hot rice. Serves 6.

I'm on my own tonight ... wife is out of town.

What time is dinner?

What type of whine do you like?

Peter1469
03-21-2013, 02:30 PM

You are well served by cooking the main meal and the rice separately. And that goes with storing left overs.

Cigar
03-21-2013, 02:33 PM
If you really like Gumbo, try a good seafood Gumbo ...

It cost a fucking fortune to make

Mister D
03-21-2013, 02:34 PM
You are well served by cooking the main meal and the rice separately. And that goes with storing left overs.

That makes sense. Starch tends to bleed out and make soups/stews cloudy.

Peter1469
03-21-2013, 02:34 PM
If you really like Gumbo, try a good seafood Gumbo ...

It cost a fucking fortune to make

Not if you live on the coast. Cook with what is local.

Peter1469
03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
That makes sense. Starch tends to bleed out and make soups/stews cloudy.

Right. Plus the rice will soak up a lot of the liquid.

Mister D
03-21-2013, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking smothered pork chops and gumbo this weekend...

oceanloverOH
03-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Cigar: I did decide to add some tailless, deveined shrimp to this gumbo. It's nice and thick and the house smells so good! Dinner's in about 90 minutes, including a fresh mixed green salad and homemade cornbread....if there's a flight available, you can *just* make it. I don't drink wine, just bring a good appetite (I'm an old-fashioned girl; I love to see a man enjoy what I've cooked......)

Peter1469: You are so right about starches and soups/stews; I almost always cook them separately then serve together. The only exception is chicken or turkey noodle soup. HAVE to put the noodles in so they soak up the flavor of the broth.

Mister D: You're making gumbo too? Is your recipe similar to mine? What do you smother your chops in?

Captain Obvious
03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4): You're making gumbo too? Is your recipe similar to mine? What do you smother your chops in?

Whiskey

Greenridgeman
03-21-2013, 04:32 PM

•½ cup vegetable oil
•½ cup flour
•1 med chopped onion
•½ cup chopped celery
•3 tablespoons butter
•1 bay leaf

Preparation:

About how I do it, except I never use canned broth, or pre-fab "Creole" seasoning, and I prefer chicken gumbo thick and brown, without okra and tomatos.

I know "gumbo" means okra, but I save the okra and tomatos for seafood gumbo.

Greenridgeman
03-21-2013, 04:34 PM

It is served over rice, rice NEVER goes into the gumbo.

That would soak up the juice, and make it more like jambalaya.

Now, Yankees put the rice in it, and call the mess gumbo, but it is not the way to do it.

Mister D
03-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Whiskey

I get smothered in the whiskey. :grin:

@oceanloverOH (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=494) I'll use Pork stock for the chops. The girl I work with brought it in for lunch the other day and I immediately wanted to try it out. Apparently, you put them in flour, lightly saute for a few minutes until you get a crust of sorts, add the liquid just to cover the chops, and simmer for an hour or so.

oceanloverOH
03-22-2013, 11:14 AM
About how I do it, except I never use canned broth, or pre-fab "Creole" seasoning, and I prefer chicken gumbo thick and brown, without okra and tomatos.

I know "gumbo" means okra, but I save the okra and tomatos for seafood gumbo.

I don't use a pre-fab Creole seasoning, like you can buy at the grocery store, yuck. I make up my own fresh, using Chef Emeril's recipe (I have the Tbsp converted to half-tsp because I keep my spices in very slender jars and the half-tsp measure is all that fits down in them):

EMERIL’S CREOLE SEASONING

2 1/2 tablespoons (15 half-tsps) paprika
2 tablespoons (12 half-tsps) salt
2 tablespoons (12 half-tsps) garlic powder
1 tablespoon (6 half-tsps) black pepper
1 tablespoon (6 half-tsps) onion powder
1 tablespoon (6 half-tsps) cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon (6 half-tsps) dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon (6 half-tsps) dried thyme
1 tablespoon (6 half-tsps) dried parsley flakes

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Makes about 2/3 cup.

Greenridgeman
03-22-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't use a pre-fab Creole seasoning, like you can buy at the grocery store, yuck. I make up my own fresh, using Chef Emeril's recipe (I have the Tbsp converted to half-tsp because I keep my spices in very slender jars and the half-tsp measure is all that fits down in them):

Makes about 2/3 cup.

Prefab Creole seasoning is mostly very expensive salt.

Common
03-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Makes about 2/3 cup.

I use Chef Paul Prudhommes seasonings. Not all of them, but the meat, pork and veal, poultry and blackened meat magics I do use. I buy the commericial tins off his site becuase they are much more than the small ones you buy elsewhere and I vacuum pack them into small packs.

Common
03-23-2013, 10:04 AM
If theres any salmon lovers out there, this is the best ive ever had, I also use it on fish.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/potlatch-seasoning/

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 10:16 AM
I haven't grilled salmon in a while, but we generally have eaten a lot of it.

I'm considering today's menu and something to grill since we're getting hit with a small snowstorm (nothing like firing up the coals in a blizzard), but the local grocery really doesn't have good seafood.

Might be steaks.

Common
03-23-2013, 01:41 PM
I buy flash frozen salmon from sams club individually wrapped. Its real decent, hard to find fresh salmon anywhere anymore.

oceanloverOH
03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
If theres any salmon lovers out there, this is the best ive ever had, I also use it on fish.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/potlatch-seasoning/

I love many of Williams-Sonoma spices, rubs, and sauces. So expensive though!

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 02:18 PM
I set out actually looking for frozen catfish fillets, which aren't bad btw. Great for grilling and not very expensive.

My plan was to cut them in chunks and blacken them.

Alas, the frozen fish section blowed. But chicken breasts were on sale so I'm blackening them.

Peter1469
03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Chicken legs for me tonight.

I am not into fish- and if I eat it, only the white fish.

oceanloverOH
03-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Tilapia is my very favorite fish....rubbed with lemon juice, coarse black pepper and creole seasonings and grilled on the George Foreman for about 7 min.

My Mom's hamburger/potato casserole tonight. I gotta get busy, it's 5:15 already!

Peter1469
03-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Tilapia is my very favorite fish....rubbed with lemon juice, coarse black pepper and creole seasonings and grilled on the George Foreman for about 7 min.

My Mom's hamburger/potato casserole tonight. I gotta get busy, it's 5:15 already!

I like Tilapia.

Mister D
03-23-2013, 04:29 PM
Chicken legs for me tonight.

I am not into fish- and if I eat it, only the white fish.

Same here. I like those neutral white fish, such as Flounder, Tilapia and Sole.

Peter1469
03-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I remember fishing in south east Louisiana. In the salt water marshes. You could see the flounders on the bottom- cast the line on top of them- dinner!

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Anyone remember or even have blind robins?

Don't see them much around anymore. Kinda like big, smoked anchovys. Used to get them in the strip district in Pittsburgh. Great stuff, stunk like hell though.

Conley
03-23-2013, 05:45 PM
Don't mean to be a kill joy but be very careful with the Tilapia you buy. A lot of it comes from fish farms in China...

China, the world’s largest producer of farmed tilapia, supplies approximately 40% of global production. Nearly 40% of this is exported to the U.S., mainly as frozen fillets.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?fid=195

Look it up yourselves but make sure you're getting it locally...I used to buy frozen with a big American flag on it. Turns out it was Chinese too.

I think this is a good read too -- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/science/earth/02tilapia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Peter1469
03-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Agree. That is one reason I don't eat much fish. I try to get as much as possible from my farmers market.

Conley
03-23-2013, 07:05 PM
That's the way to go.

oceanloverOH
03-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Don't mean to be a kill joy but be very careful with the Tilapia you buy. A lot of it comes from fish farms in China...

China, the world’s largest producer of farmed tilapia, supplies approximately 40% of global production. Nearly 40% of this is exported to the U.S., mainly as frozen fillets.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/SeafoodWatch/web/sfw_factsheet.aspx?fid=195

Look it up yourselves but make sure you're getting it locally...I used to buy frozen with a big American flag on it. Turns out it was Chinese too.

I think this is a good read too -- http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/science/earth/02tilapia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Oh, well that sucks....I wasn't aware of this, thanks for posting it, Conley. Now just where the hell am I gonna get American-caught fresh fish in freakin' Ohio? You do NOT want to eat anything that comes out of Lake Erie.....the fish there probably have six eyes and claws, if you know what I mean.

Conley
03-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Oh, well that sucks....I wasn't aware of this, thanks for posting it, @Conley (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=14). Now just where the hell am I gonna get American-caught fresh fish in freakin' Ohio? You do NOT want to eat anything that comes out of Lake Erie.....the fish there probably have six eyes and claws, if you know what I mean.

I'm sorry :( but I wanted you to be healthy...the stuff that comes out of China is so bad. You can still get frozen fish just make sure it's American!

oceanloverOH
03-23-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm sorry :( but I wanted you to be healthy...the stuff that comes out of China is so bad. You can still get frozen fish just make sure it's American!

I certainly will be asking the question at my local fish market the next time I go to buy fish........

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 07:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uvt83YWWWY

Common
03-23-2013, 08:08 PM
I love many of Williams-Sonoma spices, rubs, and sauces. So expensive though!

Try chef pauls Ocean.

http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php

Common
03-23-2013, 08:17 PM

I buy flash frozen fish from Sams and Bjs there is alot of tilapia coming from latin america rather than china and I like it better. Ive never gotten any bad fish or salmon from sams or bgs

oceanloverOH
03-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Try chef pauls Ocean.

http://www.chefpaul.com/site.php

Oh, Common, thank you so much! Love that website; now have bookmarked it to my shopping favorites. Chef Paul carries spice blends with no salt (hubby has high blood pressure) AND no sugar (I have diabetes)! That's always been a problem with store-bought blends. I can get a multi-pack of 4 varieties of the NS/NS for only a little more than the cost of ONE jar of spices from W-S. And he has lots of NS/NS recipes on his site too....hubby and I both adore home-cooked Cajun food. Peter1469, Chef Paul has *real* Andouille available on his website too....and a nice recipe for Andouille and Corn Soup (which I will be trying as soon as I can get some spices ordered!)

Common, my friend, here's some reputation points for you....you earned that and more, IMO! :dankk2:

Peter1469
03-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Oh, @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659), thank you so much! Love that website; now have bookmarked it to my shopping favorites. Chef Paul carries spice blends with no salt (hubby has high blood pressure) AND no sugar (I have diabetes)! That's always been a problem with store-bought blends. I can get a multi-pack of 4 varieties of the NS/NS for only a little more than the cost of ONE jar of spices from W-S. And he has lots of NS/NS recipes on his site too....hubby and I both adore home-cooked Cajun food. @Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10), Chef Paul has *real* Andouille available on his website too....and a nice recipe for Andouille and Corn Soup (which I will be trying as soon as I can get some spices ordered!)

Common, my friend, here's some reputation points for you....you earned that and more, IMO! :dankk2:

I love Andouille with brown rice. And with the left overs, I will crack and egg over the top.

Common
03-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Anyone remember or even have blind robins?

Don't see them much around anymore. Kinda like big, smoked anchovys. Used to get them in the strip district in Pittsburgh. Great stuff, stunk like hell though.

My wife is from Pittsburgh Swissvale, Im not

Common
03-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Oh, @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659), thank you so much! Love that website; now have bookmarked it to my shopping favorites. Chef Paul carries spice blends with no salt (hubby has high blood pressure) AND no sugar (I have diabetes)! That's always been a problem with store-bought blends. I can get a multi-pack of 4 varieties of the NS/NS for only a little more than the cost of ONE jar of spices from W-S. And he has lots of NS/NS recipes on his site too....hubby and I both adore home-cooked Cajun food. @Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10), Chef Paul has *real* Andouille available on his website too....and a nice recipe for Andouille and Corn Soup (which I will be trying as soon as I can get some spices ordered!)

Im so happy It helps you, I love the toasted onion and garlic spice no salt or sugar, I dont have high bp or sugar but I limit both.

Common
03-23-2013, 10:21 PM
I love Andouille with brown rice. And with the left overs, I will crack and egg over the top.

Yanno I never had andouille until recently. I was given a rice recipe with brown rice <which is all I use now> and andoille and of course other stuff, Its delicious!!!

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 10:24 PM
My wife is from Pittsburgh Swissvale, Im not

Has she ever been to Vincent's Pizza on Rt. 30?

Best pizza on the planet - or used to be.

Total shithole, but the pizza was great. "Vinnie pie" - Vinnie tossing the pizza dough with a cigarette in his mouth. Running joke was, he used to come out of the bathroom with flour still on his hands.

Fantastic pizza, I'm not kidding.

Mister D
03-23-2013, 10:29 PM

Total shithole, but the pizza was great. "Vinnie pie" - Vinnie tossing the pizza dough with a cigarette in his mouth. Running joke was, he used to come out of the bathroom with flour still on his hands.

Really? I've been reluctant to order pizza once I leave the NYC area.

Common
03-23-2013, 10:32 PM

ROFL, in NYC we would call Vinnie a Gavone. <slob in italian> I dont know if shes ever been there Ill ask her tomorrow, shes in dreamland atm.
She was born and raised in Pittsburgh, I saved her and got her out of there :P lol

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Really? I've been reluctant to order pizza once I leave the NYC area.

NYC pizza is really great. I had good NY pizza in New Haven, CT a few years back when I interviewed for a job there (which is a story that you would appreciate D, inner city health center, I'll tell you about it later).

Vincents was unique, used to go there all the time. They didn't have take-out boxes, they used a flat piece of cardboard and stapled paper over the top.

Never round, egg-ish shaped. Big lake of grease and cheese, sausage was big as golf balls. The tomato sauce was... hard to describe. Not spicy, almost bland.

They won PGH's best pizza a few years then I think Vinny died. Not sure if it's still open.

He had a sign behind the counter that said "Note that this is not a Burger King - you get it my way if you even get the son of a bitch at all".

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 10:34 PM
ROFL, in NYC we would call Vinnie a Gavone. <slob in italian> I dont know if shes ever been there Ill ask her tomorrow, shes in dreamland atm.
She was born and raised in Pittsburgh, I saved her and got her out of there :P lol

You can take a hunky out of Pittsburgh, but you can't take the Pittsburgh out of a hunky.

Keep that in mind.

:afro:

Mister D
03-23-2013, 10:36 PM
We have a lot of great joints in NJ. I grew up on the stuff. I'm maybe 40 minutes from Manhattan with traffic. Sadly, it goes through me like a bullet train train now. :sad:

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 10:39 PM
You've gotta have had NY cheesecake.

I haven't done it in a while, but I used to drop-ship order NY cheesecake for special occasions. Costs a lot - maybe a buck fifty but they are HUGE and they are fine.

No strawberries, no syrups, no whipped cream - just really, really good cheesecake.

Peter1469
03-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I like pizza in Europe. They actually use fresh ingredients.

Common
03-23-2013, 10:40 PM
You can take a hunky out of Pittsburgh, but you can't take the Pittsburgh out of a hunky.

Keep that in mind.

:afro:

Shes not a hunky, english and italian. Pittsburgh like all cities were great places to live and growup at one time ALL of them.
The first time I drove to pittsburgh I fell in love with the pennsylvania highway. It was snowing and the snow was sticking and tractor trailers were riding right up onto my butt then swinging wildly to the left and passing me like I was standing still and I was going 65, I was never so scared for so long my entire life.The pa turnpike is the WORST freakin road ive ever driven on.

Mister D
03-23-2013, 10:42 PM

I haven't done it in a while, but I used to drop-ship order NY cheesecake for special occasions. Costs a lot - maybe a buck fifty but they are HUGE and they are fine.

No strawberries, no syrups, no whipped cream - just really, really good cheesecake.

Reeks havoc on me too now. I don't think it's age either. Once you develop a simpler diet you realize how dense some of this food really is.

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 10:43 PM
Shes not a hunky, english and italian. Pittsburgh like all cities were great places to live and growup at one time ALL of them.
The first time I drove to pittsburgh I fell in love with the pennsylvania highway. It was snowing and the snow was sticking and tractor trailers were riding right up onto my butt then swinging wildly to the left and passing me like I was standing still and I was going 65, I was never so scared for so long my entire life.The pa turnpike is the WORST freakin road ive ever driven on.

You need to drive through downtown Albuquerque once if you haven't already.

Make sure your insurance is maxed up.

Common
03-23-2013, 11:01 PM
We have a lot of great joints in NJ. I grew up on the stuff. I'm maybe 40 minutes from Manhattan with traffic. Sadly, it goes through me like a bullet train train now. :sad:

I was born in Queens, raised in Newark NJ, my fathers job was there

Common
03-23-2013, 11:03 PM

My wifes favorite and she wont eat it, NY cheesecake made right it weighs 12 lbs. Better than NY cheesecake is Italian Ricotta Pie.

Mister D
03-23-2013, 11:03 PM
I was born in Queens, raised in Newark NJ, my fathers job was there

My dad grew up in Bayonne. My mom in Jersey City. I grew up in the burbs.

oceanloverOH
03-23-2013, 11:33 PM

The PA turnpike is pretty rough, I agree....hate all the tunnels. But I've never been on any roads, in any traffic in the U.S., to compare with some of the European city roads....Paris, Rome, OMG! Just give me my old Porsche, a nice Autobahn through the German countryside, and let me fly at 130 mph.......ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Peter1469
03-23-2013, 11:38 PM
You don't drive in Rome. Driving out from the airport is easy. Like north to Tuscany.

Inside Rome take public transportation. I rented an apartment between the Forum and the Vatican. The balcony was almost as big as my condo in DC.

Captain Obvious
03-23-2013, 11:41 PM
You don't drive in Rome. Driving out from the airport is easy. Like north to Tuscany.

Inside Rome take public transportation. I rented an apartment between the Forum and the Vatican. The balcony was almost as big as my condo in DC.

My dad and stepmom went to Europe a while back. Apparently the electrical service there is different, she almost killed herself with a curling iron.

Peter1469
03-23-2013, 11:47 PM
My dad and stepmom went to Europe a while back. Apparently the electrical service there is different, she almost killed herself with a curling iron.

Yes, they use a different voltage. 220. I was in Brittany with the Wife a couple of years ago and we were pretty tired from the flight over. I was in bed and she wanted to dry her hair. I laughed and told her not to use her hair dryer without the transformer and drifted off. Then she woke me up bitching that her hair drier was fired. I still laugh at that when I think about it. She is still pissed at me over that.

Conley
03-24-2013, 12:34 PM
You need to drive through downtown Albuquerque once if you haven't already.

Make sure your insurance is maxed up.

I drove through there not too long ago...wasn't bad at all but maybe I didn't hit the right hoods. Anyway the green chili stuff there is off the hook....the best is probably green chili stew which is AMAZING

Common
03-24-2013, 12:43 PM
My dad grew up in Bayonne. My mom in Jersey City. I grew up in the burbs.

I used to eat in Dominics Restaurant on Ave C in Bayonne. Its gone now. Last time I was in bayonne they didnt have the new bridge built.

Common
03-24-2013, 12:45 PM
The PA turnpike is pretty rough, I agree....hate all the tunnels. But I've never been on any roads, in any traffic in the U.S., to compare with some of the European city roads....Paris, Rome, OMG! Just give me my old Porsche, a nice Autobahn through the German countryside, and let me fly at 130 mph.......ahhhhhhhhhhhh

When I was in europe I cabbed it and its the best way to go, they are professional nutjob drivers and even exceed the regular european citzenry in maniacal driving, but damnit they get you there :)

Common
03-24-2013, 12:46 PM
I drove through there not too long ago...wasn't bad at all but maybe I didn't hit the right hoods. Anyway the green chili stuff there is off the hook....the best is probably green chili stew which is AMAZING

Why is it green or rather what makes it green. Only think I can think of is Wasabi or Avocado and I dont want either in my chili

Conley
03-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Why is it green or rather what makes it green. Only think I can think of is Wasabi or Avocado and I dont want either in my chili

These are green chilis...very mild and really good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexican_cuisine#Chile_and_other_ingredients

Chile, beans, and corn have been described as the "basic ingredients of New Mexico cooking," and all are locally grown.[2]
One of its most defining characteristics is the dominance of the New Mexican chile in red and green varieties, depending on the stage of ripeness when picked.[4] Other distinctive elements include blue corn, the stacked enchilada, and sopapillas into which honey is added moments before eating.[5]
The New Mexico chile, especially when harvested as green chile, is perhaps the defining ingredient of New Mexican food compared to neighboring styles. Chile is New Mexico's largest agricultural crop.[6] Within New Mexico, green chile is a popular ingredient in everything from enchiladas and burritos to cheeseburgers, french fries, bagels, and pizzas, and is added to the standard menu of many national American food chains. In the early twenty-first century, green chile has also become increasingly available outside of New Mexico.

http://eggsactamundo.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/green-chili.jpg

Conley
03-24-2013, 12:52 PM
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/green-chili-stew-2/

Captain Obvious
03-24-2013, 02:21 PM

Chile, beans, and corn have been described as the "basic ingredients of New Mexico cooking," and all are locally grown.[2]
One of its most defining characteristics is the dominance of the New Mexican chile in red and green varieties, depending on the stage of ripeness when picked.[4] Other distinctive elements include blue corn, the stacked enchilada, and sopapillas into which honey is added moments before eating.[5]
The New Mexico chile, especially when harvested as green chile, is perhaps the defining ingredient of New Mexican food compared to neighboring styles. Chile is New Mexico's largest agricultural crop.[6] Within New Mexico, green chile is a popular ingredient in everything from enchiladas and burritos to cheeseburgers, french fries, bagels, and pizzas, and is added to the standard menu of many national American food chains. In the early twenty-first century, green chile has also become increasingly available outside of New Mexico.

When I was in Yuma AZ a few summers ago, they put green chillis on everything.

You can get your Subway $5 footlong with green chillis, quarter pounders with cheese and green chillis.

The Wal Mart there sold green chillis and salsas by the container at the deli.

Common
03-24-2013, 03:05 PM

Duh I didnt even think of green chiles lol, thanks conley

Conley
03-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Duh I didnt even think of green chiles lol, thanks conley

I agree with part of your statement -- I wouldn't want wasabi in my chili :grin:

Fresh sliced avocado on top of a spicy soup (like chicken tortilla ) is delish tho

Common
03-24-2013, 06:35 PM

I asked my wife if she ever heard of vincents pizza, she said on Rte 30 she went on to say he was a total slob and when he went to the bathroom he came out with the flour on his hands he went in with. I laughed and told her you said the same thing. She also said fantastic pizza. She also said Vinnies wife Edith was nothing like him and was her mothers best friend and she herself was friends with vinnies daughter Toni.

Mister D
03-24-2013, 06:52 PM

I like a pepper medley in my chilis and spicy soups. I find poblanos impart a lot of flavor. I haven't seen fresh green chilis around here but I have a decent selection available.

Peter1469
03-24-2013, 06:54 PM
I grew red chili peppers last year. They were pretty good. I won't be able to start my balcony garden this year. Looking at moving.

Mister D
03-24-2013, 07:08 PM
I grew red chili peppers last year. They were pretty good. I won't be able to start my balcony garden this year. Looking at moving.

Considering having a landscaper friend rototill part of my yard and do an eye pleasing set up for me. Not sure though. :undecided:

Peter1469
03-24-2013, 07:10 PM
You should! If I had my own plot of land I would grow a lot of stuff.

Captain Obvious
03-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Considering having a landscaper friend rototill part of my yard and do an eye pleasing set up for me. Not sure though. :undecided:

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/image/demotivational-poster/small/0906/garden-ornaments-garden-ornament-bright-thong-chick-ass-butt-demotivational-poster-1243937024.jpg

Mister D
03-24-2013, 07:14 PM
You should! If I had my own plot of land I would grow a lot of stuff.

I have to see how much this will cost. I would definitely get a lot of use out of it. I cool almost everyday of the week. I just have to see what will give me a high yield.

Peter1469
03-24-2013, 08:01 PM
I have to see how much this will cost. I would definitely get a lot of use out of it. I cool almost everyday of the week. I just have to see what will give me a high yield.

Be careful! It is easy to grow much more than you can eat. Since I only have my balcony I focus on herbs, but also plant tomatoes and peppers.

Captain Obvious
03-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Be careful! It is easy to grow much more than you can eat. Since I only have my balcony I focus on herbs, but also plant tomatoes and peppers.

Herbs, huh?

Mister D
03-24-2013, 08:06 PM

That will definitely happen with tomatoes. They grow very well in NJ gardens. I can always give some away though. I don't eat them raw but I could make meatballs 3-4 times plus a few marinara sauces. Could use them as a chili base in the Summer too.

Peter1469
03-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Herbs, huh?

Legit herbs. I still have to maintain two security clearances.

Peter1469
03-24-2013, 08:28 PM
That will definitely happen with tomatoes. They grow very well in NJ gardens. I can always give some away though. I don't eat them raw but I could make meatballs 3-4 times plus a few marinara sauces. Could use them as a chili base in the Summer too.

I like tomatoes raw on a salad or cooked for other dishes. They actually are better for you cooked- rare for food.

Mister D
03-24-2013, 08:33 PM
I like tomatoes raw on a salad or cooked for other dishes. They actually are better for you cooked- rare for food.

I don't like them at all raw which is rare for me. I eat most vegetables cooked or raw.

I've read that about tomatoes. Something about the cooking creating Lycopene. Cooking actually breaks down cell walls that your digestive system doesn't do a good job of. You're probably getting just as much nutrition from a cooked carrot, for example, as you are from a raw carrot if not more. On the other hand, some ways of cooking are better than others.

oceanloverOH
03-24-2013, 08:36 PM
I don't like them at all raw which is rare for me. I eat most vegetables cooked or raw.

I've read that about tomatoes. Something about the cooking creating Lycopene. Cooking actually breaks down cell walls that your digestive system doesn't do a good job of. You're probably getting just as much nutrition from a cooked carrot, for example, as you are from a raw carrot if not more. On the other hand, some ways of cooking are better than others.

Mmmmm....in the summer I can just sit and eat a red ripe tomato straight off the vine, just like an apple. I eat so many when they come ripe that I get sores in my mouth from all the acid!

Captain Obvious
03-24-2013, 08:37 PM
I eat most vegetables cooked or raw.

What's the third option?

I way prefer raw veges. I've gotten in the habit of eating salads and managed to cut out dressings, but it's all raw. Fuck the lettuce, I go for peppers, cherry tomatoes, broccoli and cauliflower. And the fresh mushrooms when they serve them.

oceanloverOH
03-24-2013, 08:44 PM
What's the third option?

I way prefer raw veges. I've gotten in the habit of eating salads and managed to cut out dressings, but it's all raw. Fuck the lettuce, I go for peppers, cherry tomatoes, broccoli and cauliflower. And the fresh mushrooms when they serve them.

Me too. I love a salad of fresh halved cherry tomatoes and chopped red bell pepper out of my garden, broccoli, cauliflower, sliced carrots and celery, sliced fresh mushrooms....with a dribble of creamy Italian dressing and sprinkled liberally with coarse ground black pepper, then sprinkled with shredded parmesan. I can't wait for May when I can put in my tomatoes and peppers.....

Peter1469
03-24-2013, 08:48 PM

right

Captain Obvious
03-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Me too. I love a salad of fresh halved cherry tomatoes and chopped red bell pepper out of my garden, broccoli, cauliflower, sliced carrots and celery, sliced fresh mushrooms....with a dribble of creamy Italian dressing and sprinkled liberally with coarse ground black pepper, then sprinkled with shredded parmesan. I can't wait for May when I can put in my tomatoes and peppers.....

Cabbage. I'll buy whole cabbage heads, quarter them and munch them up.

Fantastic snack. Spicy, satisfying, great stuff.

Peter1469
03-24-2013, 08:50 PM
I love cabbage with black pepper and garlic.

Conley
03-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Cabbage. I'll buy whole cabbage heads, quarter them and munch them up.

Fantastic snack. Spicy, satisfying, great stuff.

I did a huge corned beef and cabbage in a crock pot for St. Patty's day. It lasted a long time and it was delicious...I need to eat that more than once a year.

Peter1469
03-24-2013, 09:02 PM
I did a huge corned beef and cabbage in a crock pot for St. Patty's day. It lasted a long time and it was delicious...I need to eat that more than once a year.

I need to try that again. I screwed up my last corned beef. It is too easy for me to get good corned beef from my Irish Pub. But I should learn to cook it myself.

Common
03-24-2013, 09:03 PM

I eat tomato sandwichs all season long. Jersey tomatos on a good year are the best. I make my own sauce and freeze it in jar sized portions

Common
03-24-2013, 09:04 PM

I love it and I do eat it more than once a year and I also eat turkey more than once a year, I love that also

Conley
03-24-2013, 09:07 PM
I love it and I do eat it more than once a year and I also eat turkey more than once a year, I love that also

Great point -- turkey needs to be a year round thing also

oceanloverOH
03-24-2013, 09:28 PM
I love cabbage....cooked or raw....if I eat it, I can walk my dog much faster for several days....self-propelled, dontcha know.:yepp:

Common
03-24-2013, 09:34 PM
I love cabbage....cooked or raw....if I eat it, I can walk my dog much faster for several days....self-propelled, dontcha know.:yepp:

I make homemade coleslaw, with a lowfat dressing that I buy Walden farms it comes out excellent. My wife and I eat it alot. I love cabbage cooked also.

Conley
03-24-2013, 09:40 PM

You know at first I took it really easy on the cabbage because I was really worried about that! I had to work and didn't want to have that...problem. For some reason it never affected me though and by the 2nd and 3rd day I was scarfing it. It's delicious! :grin:

Mister D
03-25-2013, 10:43 AM
I love cabbage with black pepper and garlic.

Raw or cooked? If so, how? It reeks when I cook it. My stuffed cabbage turned out well but every other time I use cabbage that nasty sulpher odor fills the kitchen.

oceanloverOH
03-25-2013, 11:36 AM
Raw or cooked? If so, how? It reeks when I cook it. My stuffed cabbage turned out well but every other time I use cabbage that nasty sulpher odor fills the kitchen.
Mister D, try steaming fresh cabbage; I have found that it's not *quite* so smelly as boiling it. I have a stove-top steamer (wide saucepan with metal colander-type basket that fits inside). I cut medium-small wedges off the green cabbage, then separate the leaves and put them in the basket. Put a couple inches of water in the bottom of the pan, basket in, cover, and set over med heat and as soon as it starts to steam (the lid has a little hole that releases steam to let me know), time for 10 minutes. Put cooked leaves in a bowl and add a little melted butter and some garlic pepper. Easy peasy.

Mister D
03-25-2013, 11:38 AM
@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4), try steaming fresh cabbaget; I have found that it's not *quite* so smelly as boiling it. I have a stove-top steamer (wide saucepan with metal colander-type basket that fits inside). I cut medium-small wedges off the green cabbage, then separate the leaves and put them in the basket. Put a couple inches of water in the bottom of the pan, basket in, cover, and set over med heat and as soon as it starts to steam (the lid has a little hole that releases steam to let me know), time for 10 minutes. Put cooked leaves in a bowl and add a little melted butter and some garlic pepper. Easy peasy.

Interesting. It was no problem when I cooked the stuffed cabbage and that was on the stove simmering for hours. I'd like to get more cabbage in my diet because it's loaded with nutrients.

oceanloverOH
03-25-2013, 11:42 AM
Interesting. It was no problem when I cooked the stuffed cabbage and that was on the stove simmering for hours. I'd like to get more cabbage in my diet because it's loaded with nutrients.

Yes, cabbage is VERY nutritious. Give it a try and tell me what you think. If you don't have a stovetop steamer, you can get them at places like Wal-Mart or Target.
http://www.target.com/p/farberware-classic-series-stack-n-steam-3-qt-saucepot-steamer/-/A-11044787?reco=Rec|pdp|11044787|ClickCP|item_page.v ertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1

Mister D
03-25-2013, 11:45 AM
Yes, cabbage is VERY nutritious. Give it a try and tell me what you think. If you don't have a stovetop steamer, you can get them at places like Wal-Mart or Target.
http://www.target.com/p/farberware-classic-series-stack-n-steam-3-qt-saucepot-steamer/-/A-11044787?reco=Rec|pdp|11044787|ClickCP|item_page.v ertical_1&lnk=Rec|pdp|ClickCP|item_page.vertical_1

I see those little steamers all the time. It's just a metal plate you place inside a pot with a lid. A little water boils underneath and the trapped steam goes to work. I should get one regardless.

oceanloverOH
03-25-2013, 11:56 AM
I see those little steamers all the time. It's just a metal plate you place inside a pot with a lid. A little water boils underneath and the trapped steam goes to work. I should get one regardless.

Absolutely. I steam fresh cabbage, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, zucchini and summer squash with chopped onions, fresh corn....I like steamed veggies; I think I can control the crunchiness better than with any other cooking method just by adding or subtracting a minute or so.

Mister D
03-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Absolutely. I steam fresh cabbage, green beans, asparagus, broccoli, zucchini and summer squash with chopped onions, fresh corn....I like steamed veggies; I think I can control the crunchiness better than with any other cooking method just by adding or subtracting a minute or so.

All good veggies to steam. I usually throw broccoli in the pasta water for 20 seconds though. I can't be bothered to steam it separately.

Common
03-25-2013, 02:01 PM

Steaming is the only way we cook veggies for many years, holds more of the nutrients that boiling or Microwaving

Peter1469
03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Steaming is the only way we cook veggies for many years, holds more of the nutrients that boiling or Microwaving

Right, steaming is the way to go.

Mister D
04-08-2013, 03:25 PM
@Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10)

So I bought some grass fed chop meat on sale. It had a higher fat content than I like but it wasn't hard to melt most of it. Anyway, it was definitely a little tastier but it also had a different texture. It was chewier. It didn't bother me but it was noticeable.

Mister D
04-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Is $7 per pound a lot for grass fed chop meat? How does it compare? After some reflection, I'm impressed.

Mister D
04-09-2013, 10:21 PM
@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4), try steaming fresh cabbage; I have found that it's not *quite* so smelly as boiling it. I have a stove-top steamer (wide saucepan with metal colander-type basket that fits inside). I cut medium-small wedges off the green cabbage, then separate the leaves and put them in the basket. Put a couple inches of water in the bottom of the pan, basket in, cover, and set over med heat and as soon as it starts to steam (the lid has a little hole that releases steam to let me know), time for 10 minutes. Put cooked leaves in a bowl and add a little melted butter and some garlic pepper. Easy peasy.

May try the stuffed cabbage again this weekend but with the grass fed beef.

Common
04-09-2013, 11:24 PM
Is $7 per pound a lot for grass fed chop meat? How does it compare? After some reflection, I'm impressed.

Mister D taken from many people in the business, they all are consistent with one thing about ground beef. If you dont grind it yourself. DO NOT EAT IT. Thats what ive been told over and over, my grandfather was a butcher and came from along line of butchers and I have friends in the business.
I buy bottom top round and sirloin on sale and grind it myself.

Common
04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
May try the stuffed cabbage again this weekend but with the grass fed beef.

Stuffed cabbage is good stuff. I dont have the patience to make that so my wife does, puts some rice in the mix and we like button mushrooms added, alot of them.

Mister D
04-11-2013, 01:06 PM
Mister D taken from many people in the business, they all are consistent with one thing about ground beef. If you dont grind it yourself. DO NOT EAT IT. Thats what ive been told over and over, my grandfather was a butcher and came from along line of butchers and I have friends in the business.

I trust my butcher. :smiley: Not a bad idea to ground your own though.

Mister D
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Stuffed cabbage is good stuff. I dont have the patience to make that so my wife does, puts some rice in the mix and we like button mushrooms added, alot of them.

It's all in the prep. My Hungarian buddy taught me the finer points a couple weeks ago. I think I will make a better stuffed cabbage this time.

Common
04-12-2013, 07:48 PM
It's all in the prep. My Hungarian buddy taught me the finer points a couple weeks ago. I think I will make a better stuffed cabbage this time.

Alot of prep it is my wife learned for a woman of russian descent. Russians, polish, slovak stuffed cabbage is a main dish to all of them

oceanloverOH
04-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Remember, @ Mister D, you promised me the recipe after you fine-tuned it with the next batch, so be sure to write stuff down! :highfive:

Mister D
04-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Remember, @ Mister D, you promised me the recipe after you fine-tuned it with the next batch, so be sure to write stuff down! :highfive:

I don't have recipe cards like you! :grin: I cook on the fly. Here goes...

I used a pound of grass fed beef and a small green cabbage. Get a cabbage where the top leaves are green and peeling off. To season the beef I used a lot of Hungarian hot paprika in honor of the Hungarian, garlic powder, dried oregano, and black pepper. Pretty simple stuff. I mixed the beef with the spices in a bowl and added a small amount of rice. To prepare the cabbage for rolling get some water heated but not boiling. Cut the cabbage along the veins. You know those hard, thick parts connecting the leaves to the core? Cut those one by one and peel off the leaves. They should come off pretty easily. DO NOT CORE THE CABBAGE. The leaves will look like little cups. Toss them in the hot water to get them soft. Once they are soft you can add the beef. The HUngarian had this cool way of sealing them off but I couldn't replicate it so I folded the ends under. It's not as tight and neat but it got the job done. I just finished eating, actually. Use a big pot so the cabbages have room. All I did was pour out a bottle of your favorite store bought pasta sauce or use your own. Add a little filtered water until the cabbages are covered. Bring it up to simmer and let it go for a few hours. Do not stir. Just leave it alone to do its thing. They are kind of fragile particularly at first.

Hope that made sense.

oceanloverOH
04-13-2013, 04:40 PM
I don't have recipe cards like you! :grin: I cook on the fly. Here goes...

I used a pound of grass fed beef and a small green cabbage. Get a cabbage where the top leaves are green and peeling off. To season the beef I used a lot of Hungarian hot paprika in honor of the Hungarian, garlic powder, dried oregano, and black pepper. Pretty simple stuff. I mixed the beef with the spices in a bowl and added a small amount of rice. To prepare the cabbage for rolling get some water heated but not boiling. Cut the cabbage along the veins. You know those hard, thick parts connecting the leaves to the core? Cut those one by one and peel off the leaves. They should come off pretty easily. DO NOT CORE THE CABBAGE. The leaves will look like little cups. Toss them in the hot water to get them soft. Once they are soft you can add the beef. The HUngarian had this cool way of sealing them off but I couldn't replicate it so I folded the ends under. It's not as tight and neat but it got the job done. I just finished eating, actually. Use a big pot so the cabbages have room. All I did was pour out a bottle of your favorite store bought pasta sauce or use your own. Add a little filtered water until the cabbages are covered. Bring it up to simmer and let it go for a few hours. Do not stir. Just leave it alone to do its thing. They are kind of fragile particularly at first.

Hope that made sense.

It did make perfect sense, Mister D, thank you! Couple of questions, though? Not coring the cabbage....that would make it a lot easier, because that's very difficult with arthritic hands. Do you just trim the hump on the veins flat with the rest of the leaf then, before you remove each leaf? You don't add any ground sausage to the beef, huh? So regular jarred pasta sauce, a little water, and a 2-3 hour simmer of the rolled-up rolls in a big pot, like a dutch oven?.....covered? This sounds sooooo good, especially since my last batch sucked. Just added cabbage to my grocery list for tomorrow, got all the rest :icon_cheers:

Oh, and I don't have recipe cards....I have a recipe file in Word on my computer, and each recipe I post is just a copy/paste from my digital file. I just type 'em up, save 'em in different categories (Crockpot, Pasta, Meat, Veg, Salad, Sides, Dessert, Misc) and print one out when I need it. Makes it easy to make modifications to them, too.

oceanloverOH
04-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Common, I will buy a grinder and grind my own....if you'll come over and WASH the grinder when I'm done. Yuck. :disgust:

Mister D
04-13-2013, 04:55 PM
It did make perfect sense, @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4), thank you! Couple of questions, though? Not coring the cabbage....that would make it a lot easier, because that's very difficult with arthritic hands. Do you just trim the hump on the veins flat with the rest of the leaf then, before you remove each leaf? You don't add any ground sausage to the beef, huh? So regular jarred pasta sauce, a little water, and a 2-3 hour simmer of the rolled-up rolls in a big pot, like a dutch oven?.....covered? This sounds sooooo good, especially since my last batch sucked. Just added cabbage to my grocery list for tomorrow, got all the rest :icon_cheers:

Oh, and I don't have recipe cards....I have a recipe file in Word on my computer, and each recipe I post is just a copy/paste from my digital file. I just type 'em up, save 'em in different categories (Crockpot, Pasta, Meat, Veg, Salad, Sides, Dessert, Misc) and print one out when I need it. Makes it easy to make modifications to them, too.

The Hungarian added hot sausage and ground pork. I was only making a small batch this time. Using any meat you want. Why not? I mistakenly cored the cabbage last time and it was a mess. The leaves kept tearing. Ugh...Anyway, I held it by the core and snipped the thickest part of the vein. The first 8 or so pealed right off. You need to be ginger but it's not hard. If you want to make more than put the whole cabbage in the steaming water after you get fa dozen leaves off. That's actually a lot though. I only made 9. Ate three today and I will have two dinners for the week.

You always break shit down scientifically when you post a recipe. I wish I could but I can't stay that organized. :laugh: Let me know how it goes!

Mister D
04-13-2013, 04:56 PM
@Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659), I will buy a grinder and grind my own....if you'll come over and WASH the grinder when I'm done. Yuck. :disgust:

You would have to sanitize that regularly.

Mister D
04-13-2013, 05:00 PM
I have been using fattier meat because when I make meatballs or stuffed cabbage most of melts into the sauce. I never eat more than half of the sauce except when I make chili. I still use the leaner meat for chili.

Mister D
04-13-2013, 05:01 PM
oceanloverOH The Hungarian eats it like a soup. It's a pretty think sauce so be prepared for that. I like to drizzle a little of the sauce on the mashed potatoes.

Mister D
04-13-2013, 06:50 PM
oceanloverOH

One last thing. My rice was a little undercooked so you may want to leave it on for longer than I did.

Peter1469
04-13-2013, 06:52 PM
I find that my rice is not very consistent in how long it takes to cook. Gotta watch it.

Mister D
04-13-2013, 06:54 PM
I find that my rice is not very consistent in how long it takes to cook. Gotta watch it.

Yeah, the Hungarian saiid that this afternoon when I told him. Hit or miss sometimes.

Peter1469
04-13-2013, 06:56 PM
I typically use brown long grain rice. Never instant- that stuff is consistent.

Mister D
04-13-2013, 06:59 PM
I typically use brown long grain rice. Never instant- that stuff is consistent.

I don't often cook rice. I've been meaning to though. I often eat brown rice mixed with tuna on weekdays if I'm off and eating breakfast at home but that's the bagged rice. I like wild rice too.

You're from LA. Got a dirty rice recipe for us?

Peter1469
04-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Sorry, I don't like dirty rice.

Mister D
04-13-2013, 07:05 PM
Sorry, I don't like dirty rice.

:shocked: I actually never tried it.

Peter1469
04-13-2013, 07:07 PM
It was always too dry for me.

Mister D
04-13-2013, 07:09 PM

That makes sense. Relative to some other regional fare I can definitely see that.

Peter1469
04-13-2013, 07:54 PM
I do love red beans and rice!

oceanloverOH
04-13-2013, 08:05 PM
You always break shit down scientifically when you post a recipe. I wish I could but I can't stay that organized. :laugh: Let me know how it goes!

Sorry, love, just anal that way I guess, LOL! Do you think it would work if I pre-cooked the rice (def brown rice for this diabetic), but for maybe only half the time recommended? I've made rice recipes where the rice didn't get done, and I've found the *crunch* offputting.

Common
04-13-2013, 08:47 PM
@Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659), I will buy a grinder and grind my own....if you'll come over and WASH the grinder when I'm done. Yuck. :disgust:

Grinder is easy to clean and to me its worth the benefit. You wait till theres a really good sale on sirloin or bottom or top round buy a good amount grind it up I have a vacuum packer pack it up and freeze it. I usually have enough for 6 months, I grind two 3 times a year.

Common
04-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I do love red beans and rice!

So do I, but try black beans and rice black beans are better for youi

Peter1469
04-13-2013, 08:53 PM

That wouldn't remind me of home.

Common
04-13-2013, 08:53 PM
I don't often cook rice. I've been meaning to though. I often eat brown rice mixed with tuna on weekdays if I'm off and eating breakfast at home but that's the bagged rice. I like wild rice too.

Do what I do and I call it dirty rice. Boil chicken parts toss in the entire kitchen cupboard of herbs and spices when the chicken starts to fall off teh bone take it out there will be little pieces of chicken in there. Make your rice right in that water. Of course take some of the water out.
When im boiling the chicken I throw in sliced sweet onion. Its not dirty rice but it comes out good...Just put whatever spices and herbs you like, garlic parsley whatever.

Greenridgeman
04-13-2013, 09:20 PM

My grandmother had dirty rice and white rice at every main meal.

Never enough gravy though.

I could never duplicate the dirty rice.

Lost art, sorry.

Greenridgeman
04-13-2013, 09:21 PM

Gravy, dude!

Greenridgeman
04-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Now, please post a link supporting that black beans are better for you than red beans.

That sounds like a hippy myth if I ever heard one.

Greenridgeman
04-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Do what I do and I call it dirty rice. Boil chicken parts toss in the entire kitchen cupboard of herbs and spices when the chicken starts to fall off teh bone take it out there will be little pieces of chicken in there. Make your rice right in that water. Of course take some of the water out.
When im boiling the chicken I throw in sliced sweet onion. Its not dirty rice but it comes out good...Just put whatever spices and herbs you like, garlic parsley
whatever.

Dirty rice is made with gizzards and livers, or, with pork innards.

Stuff it in a sausage casing and it is called boudain(sp?).

Peter1469
04-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Gravy, dude!

Or lots of hot sauce.

I prefer my rice with garlic and butter. Lots of salt.

Common
04-13-2013, 10:58 PM
:shocked: I actually never tried it.

Im sure Greeny and Pete are going to holler at me for this but Zatarains makes a dirty rice, its all in the packet add water. They make other variations red beans and rice and black beans and rice and jambalaya.
Ive only tried the red beans and rice myself and it was very very salty.

Common
04-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Risotto guys, risotto blows dirty rice out of the park :p

Greenridgeman
04-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Im sure Greeny and Pete are going to holler at me for this but Zatarains makes a dirty rice, its all in the packet add water. They make other variations red beans and rice and black beans and rice and jambalaya.

I won't yell, I'll make an analogy.

Zatarains Dirty Rice mix is to my grandmother's homemade dirty rice as a handful of spit and a rag is to sex with the finest lady you ever knew.

Common
04-13-2013, 11:04 PM
Jeez Id rather have ya yell haha. Seriously though Ive never had it and ive never had real dirty rice either. I love rice and I like it alot of ways. Id really like to try a real dirty rice.

Threeup63
04-13-2013, 11:33 PM
I had and wanted Taco Bell's, today and really enjoyed them.:afro:

Conley
04-13-2013, 11:35 PM
I had and wanted Taco Bell's, today and really enjoyed them.:afro:
Threeup63 what did you order from the border?

Conley
04-13-2013, 11:36 PM
I won't yell, I'll make an analogy.

Zatarains Dirty Rice mix is to my grandmother's homemade dirty rice as a handful of spit and a rag is to sex with the finest lady you ever knew.

Is someone channeling SLH? :cya20:

Greenridgeman
04-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Jeez Id rather have ya yell haha. Seriously though Ive never had it and ive never had real dirty rice either. I love rice and I like it alot of ways. Id really like to try a real dirty rice.

Try this, totally off the top of my head.

You will need a cup of mixed chicken gizzard and hearts(livers too if you like them).

Boil in water seasoned with red and black pepper, salt, a bay leaf, and salt, along with chopped onions, garlic, green pepper, celery and anything else like that you like.

When done and fairly tender, grind or chop up the chicken innards.

Separately, rinse two cups(one pound bag) Mahatma long grain rice.(white rice cooks at 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cup liquid, brown at 1 cup rice to 2 cups liquid)

Add enough water to stock and vegetables to have about 3 cups liquid, mix in rice and ground innards, bring to hard boil, cover, cut to low, let simmer 20 ninutes, cut off heat let sit another ten.

My grandmother hired her cook when she was 18 and the cook was 12.

I do not know why I did not sit down and get a lot of this stuff written down.

This may not be exactly how they made it.

Greenridgeman
04-13-2013, 11:39 PM
Is someone channeling SLH? :cya20:

Too graphic???

At least I didn't bring in the children on the board!

(lol)

Common
04-13-2013, 11:54 PM
Try this, totally off the top of my head.

You will need a cup of mixed chicken gizzard and hearts(livers too if you like them).

Boil in water seasoned with red and black pepper, salt, a bay leaf, and salt, along with chopped onions, garlic, green pepper, celery and anything else like that you like.

When done and fairly tender, grind or chop up the chicken innards.

Separately, rinse two cups(one pound bag) Mahatma long grain rice.(white rice cooks at 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cup liquid, brown at 1 cup rice to 2 cups liquid)

Add enough water to stock and vegetables to have about 3 cups liquid, mix in rice and ground innards, bring to hard boil, cover, cut to low, let simmer 20 ninutes, cut off heat let sit another ten.

My grandmother hired her cook when she was 18 and the cook was 12.

I do not know why I did not sit down and get a lot of this stuff written down.

This may not be exactly how they made it.

Thats pretty much what I did with my boiled chicken. I like gizzards and I love chicken livers but ill pass on the hearts.
Im going to give that recipe a try one day, thanks

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 06:49 AM

When I was in school I made Zatarains from the box. It isn't hard to make your own, and it tastes better.

Common
04-14-2013, 09:27 AM
Yeah im with you pete its got enough salt in it to last you a week, I mentioned it because i dont know how to make it never had it and neither did Mister D and I had saw the zatarians box mix for it.

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Yeah im with you pete its got enough salt in it to last you a week, I mentioned it because i dont know how to make it never had it and neither did Mister D and I had saw the zatarians box mix for it.

It is easy.

Cook rice (this is the one time that I will use white rice)
Red Kidney beans (canned is fine; dried takes a lot of prep work and longer cook time)
andouille sausage
celery
garlic and onions if you like.

Never combine the red beans with the rice until you serve it.

If you use canned red beans the whole thing can cook in 40 minutes. If you use dried beans you will have to watch them and it will take a couple of hours (after soaking the beans over night).

Mister D
04-14-2013, 11:11 AM
Yeah, the sodium content in the boxed rice meals makes me wary. That's fine in the Summer when I sweat profusely 5 times a week but it's too much for much of the year. Way too much.

Mister D
04-14-2013, 11:13 AM

It seems like it would be easy enough. No roux involved.

oceanloverOH
04-14-2013, 11:51 AM
It is easy.

Cook rice (this is the one time that I will use white rice)
Red Kidney beans (canned is fine; dried takes a lot of prep work and longer cook time)
andouille sausage
celery
garlic and onions if you like.

Never combine the red beans with the rice until you serve it.

If you use canned red beans the whole thing can cook in 40 minutes. If you use dried beans you will have to watch them and it will take a couple of hours (after soaking the beans over night).

This sounds really easy, thanks, Peter! Probably the only thing I would add would be some finely chopped bell pepper to the sausage, garlic and onions while you're browning them in just a drizzle of olive oil. For me, bell pepper just seems to round out the flavor of the andouille.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 11:59 AM
This sounds really easy, thanks, Peter! Probably the only thing I would add would be some finely chopped bell pepper to the sausage, garlic and onions while you're browning them in just a drizzle of olive oil. For me, bell pepper just seems to round out the flavor of the andouille.

Just rinse your red beans the day before, cover with water, put the covered bowl of beans in the refrigerator, and cook time is not much different from canned, but, so much better.

Canned can be good though.

oceanloverOH
04-14-2013, 12:00 PM

I guess they'll have to holler at me too....because I use Zatarain's Jambalaya mix as a base for my Jambalaya. Hubby loves it, and I guess that's what counts!

Jambalaya

2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 rib celery, chopped
1 small/med onion, chopped
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp red or green bell pepper, chopped
1 lb smoked or Andouille sausage, sliced into bite-size pieces
2 cups water
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, with juice
1 package Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix, original
1 bag 40-50 tail-less deveined pre-cooked frozen cocktail shrimp, thawed and each cut in half

1. Heat oil in large saucepan (at least 3 qt) or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add celery, onion, garlic, bell pepper and sausage; cook and stir 7 minutes or until meat is lightly browned and vegetables have softened a bit.

2. Stir in water and tomatoes. Bring to boil. Add Jambalaya Mix; mix well. Return to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in shrimp, cook an additional 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.

3. Remove from heat. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Fluff with fork before serving.

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 12:00 PM

In New Orleans, red beans is what you want it to be- that sounds like a good addition.

Mister D
04-14-2013, 12:03 PM
In New Orleans, red beans is what you want it to be- that sounds like a good addition.

It was kind of cool to walk into a "deli" and get a cup of red beans and rice. I walked around for a bit after visiting the Confederate Museum. They don't really have delis down there but I'm not sure what to call them.

Bigred1cav
04-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Steak, corn on the cob and baked potatoes.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 03:36 PM
It seems like it would be easy enough. No roux involved.

Though most "Cajun" products suck, there actually are some pre-made rouxs that are decent.

Not the same as taking the time to do it right though.

I find this very helpful when I do break down and make a real roux.

What I do, is make a huge one, which makes it easier to control to that perfect dark brown.

The instant it is perfect, I dump in a few chopped onions to stop it at that exact point.

I use what I need and freeze the rest.

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 03:37 PM
That sounds good too.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 03:38 PM
It was kind of cool to walk into a "deli" and get a cup of red beans and rice. I walked around for a bit after visiting the Confederate Museum. They don't really have delis down there but I'm not sure what to call them.

We call them something like that whorehouse with the redbean joint downstairs, over to the Confederate Museum.

Mister D
04-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Though most "Cajun" products suck, there actually are some pre-made rouxs that are decent.

Not the same as taking the time to do it right though.

I find this very helpful when I do break down and make a real roux.

What I do, is make a huge one, which makes it easier to control to that perfect dark brown.

The instant it is perfect, I dump in a few chopped onions to stop it at that exact point.

I use what I need and freeze the rest.

I am going to learn how to do it the traditional way. I will come looking for pointers Greenridgeman Peter1469

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 05:12 PM
I am going to learn how to do it the traditional way. I will come looking for pointers @Greenridgeman (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=690) @Peter1469 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=10)

The key to a good roux; slow and easy, and when brown, onions to cool it.

After you learn to make a roux slow and easy, you can heat it up a bit to speed it up, but, that comes with experience.

A good roux takes 30-45 minutes.

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 05:18 PM
I admit that I have never mastered making the roux.

But I can smoke some andouille sausage- that is really good. And if you have the hardware, you can't beat a shrimp broil. That is an all afternoon event (the eating part).

Mister D
04-14-2013, 05:21 PM

But I can smoke some andouille sausage- that is really good. And if you have the hardware, you can't beat a shrimp broil. That is an all afternoon event (the eating part).

My brother's neighbor had a crawfish boil the day after a I left of course...:rollseyes:

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 05:29 PM
My brother's neighbor had a crawfish boil the day after a I left of course...:rollseyes:

I actually meant to say crawfish, but we used to do both and I liked the shrimp better.

Threeup63
04-14-2013, 06:10 PM
@Threeup63 (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=662) what did you order from the border?
Three Supreme Taco,on the border, of 28th & Broadway@Conley!

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 06:22 PM
I actually meant to say crawfish, but we used to do both and I liked the shrimp better.

The BEST is river shrimp.

I guess you would have to catch them yourself these days.

My grandmother served stuff merlitons, bell peppers, squash and tomatoes, and my favorite stuffing was always the river shrimp, over beef, crab, gulf shrimp or crawfish.

oceanloverOH
04-14-2013, 08:13 PM
The key to a good roux; slow and easy, and when brown, onions to cool it.

After you learn to make a roux slow and easy, you can heat it up a bit to speed it up, but, that comes with experience.

A good roux takes 30-45 minutes.

I have tried and tried....I can't make a good roux to save my butt. It either turns out too "blonde", or I cook it about 3 seconds too long and it tastes burned. I'm coming to dinner at your house.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 08:20 PM
I have tried and tried....I can't make a good roux to save my butt. It either turns out too "blonde", or I cook it about 3 seconds too long and it tastes burned. I'm coming to dinner at your house.

Your cookware is too thin, or you are rushing it.

If it is turning in 3 seconds, too much heat.

oceanloverOH
04-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Your cookware is too thin, or you are rushing it.

If it is turning in 3 seconds, too much heat.

3 seconds, LOL! Nope, I've read all the tips, I cook it nice and slow, stirring the whole time....it just eludes me. I do have some heavy cookware, but it's not cast iron. Would I do better with that?

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 08:29 PM
3 seconds, LOL! Nope, I've read all the tips, I cook it nice and slow, stirring the whole time....it just eludes me. I do have some heavy cookware, but it's not cast iron. Would I do better with that?

Cast iron is great, look for old antique WagnerWareCinO, or magnalite, made in USA is good.

Chinese stuff is crap and probably toxic.

Anothe American classic shipped to China due to unrealisitc union demands.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 08:30 PM

I don't stir a roux with a spoon, I use a flat, metal spatula, or as we say in the Dirty South, a hamburger turner.

oceanloverOH
04-14-2013, 08:33 PM
Hmmm....I've been wanting a cast iron skillet anyway. And a metal spatula, of all things. I may have to give it a try. My first and only attempt at a nice seafood gumbo a few weeks ago was very good, but just a *little* off because of the roux. Thanks!

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Cast iron is great, look for old antique WagnerWareCinO, or magnalite, made in USA is good.

Chinese stuff is crap and probably toxic.

Anothe American classic shipped to China due to unrealisitc union demands.

I switched to heavy stainless steel for everything except eggs.

Greenridgeman
04-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Hmmm....I've been wanting a cast iron skillet anyway. And a metal spatula, of all things. I may have to give it a try. My first and only attempt at a nice seafood gumbo a few weeks ago was very good, but just a *little* off because of the roux. Thanks!

Kitchen Boquet darkens any gumbo or stew.

Use SPARINGLY if that roux is a little light.

Straight into gumbo, not into hot roux.

Captain Obvious
04-14-2013, 08:57 PM

I highly recommend cast iron. Greatest cookware if it's seasoned correctly. Best bang for your cookware buck.

Captain Obvious
04-14-2013, 08:58 PM
I switched to heavy stainless steel for everything except eggs.

We use stainless and cast iron - but keep one or two of those cheapo teflon pans for eggs n'at.

Sytha
04-14-2013, 10:49 PM
I highly recommend cast iron. Greatest cookware if it's seasoned correctly. Best bang for your cookware buck.

i highly recommend le creuset... no seasoning required.

Sytha
04-14-2013, 10:54 PM

lol... i order crawfish live from LA fedex 70 pounds at a time.... YUMMY!!!

Peter1469
04-14-2013, 11:09 PM
i highly recommend le creuset... no seasoning required.

They look nice.

roadmaster
04-14-2013, 11:35 PM
lol... i order crawfish live from LA fedex 70 pounds at a time.... YUMMY!!!

Why NC and SC has them too.

Sytha
04-14-2013, 11:53 PM
They look nice.

they are GREAT!!!

the trick to buying them is to get them as "seconds" at the outlet mall. I get them for more then half off.... What they call a second is usually just a slight color variation. On some i have no idea what the imperfection is that classed is as a second... it preforms well and that is all i really care about.

Mister D
04-24-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm going to go with grass fed beef and pork meatballs this weekend. May spice the sauce up a bit using a hot link of pork sausage. I'll probably boil half the fat out first though. I cook for the week and I'll get 6 meatballs out of this plus the sausage link. I'll freeze the rest of the sausage. I rarely eat sausage but I had a few pieces at work today so now I'm in the mood for it.

KC
04-24-2013, 08:47 PM
I made veggie pizza with crescent rolls, french onion dip (mixed with cream cheese), roma tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and cucumbers. I'll be having leftovers tonight :)

Mister D
04-24-2013, 08:48 PM
I made veggie pizza with crescent rolls, french onion dip (mixed with cream cheese), roma tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower and cucumbers. I'll be having leftovers tonight :)

Oh man...that's so sad. :sad:

GrassrootsConservative
04-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Delicious fake noodle substance with spicy seafood flavor.

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 08:50 PM
they are GREAT!!!

the trick to buying them is to get them as "seconds" at the outlet mall. I get them for more then half off.... What they call a second is usually just a slight color variation. On some i have no idea what the imperfection is that classed is as a second... it preforms well and that is all i really care about.
I've got a couple. A big round Le Creuset pot for big batches of stew or a giant pot roast and a smaller oval one for more reasonable portions.

KC
04-24-2013, 08:50 PM

How so? I thought it was good. Got the recipe from my Aunt. Not particularly good for you with the dip and cream cheese, but I at least by the lite stuff.

Mister D
04-24-2013, 08:51 PM
How so? I thought it was good. Got the recipe from my Aunt. Not particularly good for you with the dip and cream cheese, but I at least by the lite stuff.

Just razzin' ya. :smiley: Sheesh

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 08:52 PM
We should send him a Care package. That stuff (except for the veggies) sounds like a Kraft recipe.

Peter1469
04-24-2013, 08:58 PM
I need to start cooking at my new place. There are just so many good places within walking distance....

oceanloverOH
04-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Mexican Pork Chops

1 lb center cut boneless/butterflied pork chops
2 Tbsp EVOO
2 small cans tomato sauce
2-3 Tbsp ground cumin (or more, to taste)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Cooked rice

Cube chops into bite-size pieces. Heat oil in medium/large skillet and fry meat until completely cooked. Drain well in colander, wipe out pan with paper towel, and return meat to skillet . Add tomato sauce and spices, mix very well. Sauce should taste very strongly of cumin. Cook over low heat for 15-20 min, stirring often. Serve over rice. Recipe makes three standard or two very generous servings; easily doubled or tripled (allow about 1/3 lb meat per person).

I don't get to have mine over rice....but it's still really good IF you like the flavor of cumin.

KC
04-24-2013, 09:03 PM
We should send him a Care package. That stuff (except for the veggies) sounds like a Kraft recipe.

lol!

Mister D
04-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Mexican Pork Chops

2 Tbsp EVOO
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Cooked rice

Cube chops into bite-size pieces. Heat oil in medium/large skillet and fry meat until completely cooked. Drain well in colander, wipe out pan with paper towel, and return meat to skillet . Add tomato sauce and spices, mix very well. Sauce should taste very strongly of cumin. Cook over low heat for 15-20 min, stirring often. Serve over rice. Recipe makes three standard or two very generous servings; easily doubled or tripled (allow about 1/3 lb meat per person).

I don't get to have mine over rice....but it's still really good IF you like the flavor of cumin.

Interesting.

oceanloverOH
04-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Interesting.

I know you, D....."interesting" means hmmmm, that sounds pretty yucky to me.....

Common
04-24-2013, 09:11 PM
I made a preseasoned Portobello Pork Loin Roast. I buy them occaisionally in sams club, they arent real big so there isnt alot of waste theres only two of us now.
The portobello is good and Garlic and herb and I like the Chipotle Seasoned one my wife does not. Made mashed potatoes and with cinnamon chunky apple sauce and asparagus.
Dont follow the cooking instructions makes it come out to much like its steamed. I like a roasted look so I dont cover it with foil anywhere near as long as they tell you too.

Mister D
04-24-2013, 09:11 PM
I know you, D....."interesting" means hmmmm, that sounds pretty yucky to me.....

:laugh: Now hold on! I was briefly pondering the recipe and see some potential for me. I'm not very adventurous with tomato sauce though so I was a little hesitant. Apparently, you detected that.

Peter1469
04-24-2013, 09:13 PM
I would cook the pork chops and rice separate from the rest, and use that as a topping. With the rice on the plate, the pork chop on the rice, and the rest laid gently over top.

But then I never followed instructions all that well.

Common
04-24-2013, 09:15 PM

Omg that would put the finishing touch on an old mans gut. Where the hell did you get the idea of french onion dip an creamcheese, you spread that on the crescent roll dough then put the veggies on top ?

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 09:16 PM
lol!
Sorry KC - it couldn't be a Kraft recipe - no Miracle Whip or Kraft Marshmallows!

Common
04-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Delicious fake noodle substance with spicy seafood flavor.

Thats gotta be ramen noodles

Common
04-24-2013, 09:19 PM
I would cook the pork chops and rice separate from the rest, and use that as a topping. With the rice on the plate, the pork chop on the rice, and the rest laid gently over top.

Tell a quick meal that isnt bad at all, buy goya red rice with beans or black or just yellow rice. Take a hot skillet tablespoon or two of Olive Oil and brown pork chops or chicken breast with or without the bone, I skin my chicken. After the chicken or pork is browned and not cooked. Add the appropriate amount of water, I use less because I like it drier add the goya rice pack right into the saute pan bring to a boil and simmer 20 mins, not bad at all for a one pot quick meal, just dont add salt theres enough in the rice mix.
You can also add other stuff if you choose to taste. Onions Pepper anything.

KC
04-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Omg that would put the finishing touch on an old mans gut. Where the hell did you get the idea of french onion dip an creamcheese, you spread that on the crescent roll dough then put the veggies on top ?

My parents used to make it growing up.

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Mexican Pork Chops

2 Tbsp EVOO
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
Cooked rice

Hmm... Must taste a bit like chillied pork chops minus the hot spices.

Peter1469
04-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Grill a flat iron steak to taste (very rare for me); warm cheese on top like Gorgonzola; serve with brown rice or beans.

Common
04-24-2013, 09:32 PM
My parents used to make it growing up.

Ok :) I was curious how you made it, did they make it into an actual pizza. Or did they make a crust and dip the veggies into the dip and creamcheese.

Common
04-24-2013, 09:35 PM
Grill a flat iron steak to taste (very rare for me); warm cheese on top like Gorgonzola; serve with brown rice or beans.

I eat steak sparingly now, I dont have high cholesterol but it has creeped up from a low of 150 to mid 170s. I do not want cholesterol medication so I just watch it.
I used to love flat iron steak tenderized just dipped in flour on both sides. I would cut sweet onion thick and line the bottom of a frying pan with them and some olive oil let them cook turn them then brown the steak on top of them. You can do the same thing with boneless beaten and thinned chicken breast and My wife I do it and enjoy it.
Oh you have to change the way you cook it with chicken the chicken needs much longer to cook.

KC
04-24-2013, 09:36 PM
Ok :) I was curious how you made it, did they make it into an actual pizza. Or did they make a crust and dip the veggies into the dip and creamcheese.

I just rolled out the crexcent roll dough, baked it, then spread the cream cheese/french onion sauce on it. After it cools down to room temperature, load on the veggies, then let it it chill in the fridge about an hour.

oceanloverOH
04-24-2013, 09:36 PM

You got it, Peter, that's exactly how I do it (though I do mix in the pork chops and sauce to cook, then ladle it over the rice).

Mister D
04-24-2013, 09:37 PM
I eat steak sparingly now, I dont have high cholesterol but it has creeped up from a low of 150 to mid 170s. I do not want cholesterol medication so I just watch it.
I used to love flat iron steak tenderized just dipped in flour on both sides. I would cut sweet onion thick and line the bottom of a frying pan with them and some olive oil let them cook turn them then brown the steak on top of them. You can do the same thing with boneless beaten and thinned chicken breast and My wife I do it and enjoy it.
Oh you have to change the way you cook it with chicken the chicken needs much longer to cook.

Consuming onions with red meat helps with the cholesterol. Having a lot fo fiber in your diet does as well.

oceanloverOH
04-24-2013, 09:39 PM

Pizza crust of any kind is verboten for me....but this sounds REALLY good!

Mister D
04-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Pizza crust of any kind is verboten for me....but this sounds REALLY good!

There is a girl at work who is allergic to gluten. She is so think it;s kinda gross.

Greenridgeman
04-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Consuming onions with red meat helps with the cholesterol. Having a lot fo fiber in your diet does as well.

It's genetic.

I went veg for two years, ate oatmeal every day, my cholesterol went up.

Mister D
04-24-2013, 09:43 PM
It's genetic.

I went veg for two years, ate oatmeal every day, my cholesterol went up.

It can be and I feel for those who have a genetic predisposition. That sucks. You pretty much have to take meds at some point. My levels shot up a couple years ago but I was eating 8 to 10 egg yolks a week and likely had eggs the night before the blood test. I cut back to 4.

Greenridgeman
04-24-2013, 09:43 PM
There is a girl at work who is allergic to gluten. She is so think it;s kinda gross.

Those weird allergies come from not being breastfed and getting immunities.

Breast feed 'em, let 'em waller in the dirt like hogs, scrub 'em good each night before bed, they grow up healthy, wealthy and wise, and allergy free.

Common
04-24-2013, 09:47 PM
I just rolled out the crexcent roll dough, baked it, then spread the cream cheese/french onion sauce on it. After it cools down to room temperature, load on the veggies, then let it it chill in the fridge about an hour.

Ahh now that sounds good, the way I was trying to picture putting the ingredients together was all wrong

Greenridgeman
04-24-2013, 09:47 PM
It can be and I feel for those who have a genetic predisposition. That sucks. You pretty much have to take meds at some point. My levels shot up a couple years ago but I was eating 8 to 10 egg yolks a week and likely had eggs the night before the blood test. I cut back to 4.

I take a statin to quit listening to the bitching.

Insurance pays for it, says it is cheaper than treating me later.

Haven't had it checked in over a year, an almost beef free year.

My GF got me eating healthy stuff, I got fat.

Currently fasting, day three of five.

Gotta get the metabolism turned around.

How does it work though.?

I weighed 184, and was holding there pretty good.

She sent me a box of handmade goodies, weighed maybe 5 pounds.

I put on 15 in the time it took me to go through the box, about 10 days.

That girl she can bake some cookies!!

Mister D
04-24-2013, 09:50 PM

I'm very active and have never weighed more than 145 lbs. I'm at 130 now. I've been blessed with a high metabolism. I guess the tea lifestyle helps too. What I know is this: the more muscle you have and spreading your meals out speeds up your metabolism. Try to eat the same amount but spread it over 5 meals instead of 3.

Common
04-24-2013, 09:52 PM

Its genetic Mr D, my wife has never been heavy to this day. She does not eat hardly anything that has cholesterol she avoids it like the plague. Her cholesterol is HIGH her body just produces it. Her dad died on his couch at 51 yrs old the picture of health.
What makes matters worse she has tried every cholesterol pill there is and her muscles cramp so bad she cant walk. Crestor seems to be the lesser of all the evils and our Doc insists she HAS to take it at least every other day. Every other day she can depend on limping around the house for a couple of hours. It breaks my heart. So I eat what she eats, im not going to sit there and let her watch me eat things I know she likes and torture her.

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Those weird allergies come from not being breastfed and getting immunities.

Breast feed 'em, let 'em waller in the dirt like hogs, scrub 'em good each night before bed, they grow up healthy, wealthy and wise, and allergy free.
I think there is alot they don't know about cholesterol. Additionally, some cholesterol tests don't discriminate between good and bad cholesterol (LDL and HDL). HDL is good by the way.

Mister D
04-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Its genetic Mr D, my wife has never been heavy to this day. She does not eat hardly anything that has cholesterol she avoids it like the plague. Her cholesterol is HIGH her body just produces it. Her dad died on his couch at 51 yrs old the picture of health.
What makes matters worse she has tried every cholesterol pill there is and her muscles cramp so bad she cant walk. Crestor seems to be the lesser of all the evils and our Doc insists she HAS to take it at least every other day. Every other day she can depend on limping around the house for a couple of hours. It breaks my heart. So I eat what she eats, im not going to sit there and let her watch me eat things I know she likes and torture her.

Good man.

That fn sucks. They are coming out with new meds all the time for that though.

Common
04-24-2013, 09:55 PM
I'm very active and have never weighed more than 145 lbs. I'm at 130 now. I've been blessed with a high metabolism. I guess the tea lifestyle helps too. What I know is this: the more muscle you have and spreading your meals out speeds up your metabolism. Try to eat the same amount but spread it over 5 meals instead of 3.

Im a large male and all my life I worked out and never had weight problems. I ate like a mule. I mean huge amounts of food and never gained weight. Eating a pound of pasta and salad and bread was common for common heh. Now I eat a fraction of what I did and I have weight creep. I need to get off me arse more. Ive been a slouch since I had surgery.

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 09:56 PM
I'm not up to five meals a day, but I do bifurcate my lunch - one part at noon and the rest at 2PM. So I eat 4 meals a day.

Mister D
04-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Im a large male and all my life I worked out and never had weight problems. I ate like a mule. I mean huge amounts of food and never gained weight. Eating a pound of pasta and salad and bread was common for common heh. Now I eat a fraction of what I did and I have weight creep. I need to get off me arse more. Ive been a slouch since I had surgery.

Tea might be a good aid for you.

Mister D
04-24-2013, 09:58 PM
I'm not up to five meals a day, but I do bifurcate my lunch - one part at noon and the rest at 2PM. So I eat 4 meals a day.

That's good. I typically eat 4 times as well not counting snacks. I know it's hard for some people to make the time.

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 10:01 PM
That's good. I typically eat 4 times as well not counting snacks. I know it's hard for some people to make the time.
It does have the unfortunate consequence of crumbs on my keyboard at work!

Common
04-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Good man.

That fn sucks. They are coming out with new meds all the time for that though.

We have a fantastic family doc a she still a young gal and weve been with her 9 yrs, she comes up to my knee. She is the best doctor I have ever had and I totally and completely trust her. Shes right on the money she keeps up with everything and If I dont see her for 6 months she asks how this and that is like it was yesterday. She told us if something new comes that she thinks is appropriate she will have the office call.
On a light note I was reluctant to go to her, I was going to her partner in the same office who upped and left the state, my wife was her patient and I said I dont know shes so young, younger that two of our daughters my wife says shes great. So the first visit with her my wife was in the room and I told her I was reluctant because some things I may have to tell her may be a little embarassing if they come up, then I quickly said one thing for sure young lady there will be no fingerwaving no matter how much you wanna. GRIN, that kinda broke the ice and its been a great relationship.

Mister D
It does have the unfortunate consequence of crumbs on my keyboard at work!

I got butter on mine today. Better than tea on my shirt, I guess. :smiley:

KC
Tea might be a good aid for you.

Speaking of tea, I've been drinking a loose tea that is sold around here. It's a combo of Fennel seed, flax, fenugreek seed, licorice root and peppermint leaf. I think the stuff has great flavor, and it definitely helps me get Omega 3 fatty acids in my diet. Eating walnuts all the time can be costly and I'm allergic to all seafood.

Mister D
04-24-2013, 10:03 PM
We have a fantastic family doc a she still a young gal and weve been with her 9 yrs, she comes up to my knee. She is the best doctor I have ever had and I totally and completely trust her. Shes right on the money she keeps up with everything and If I dont see her for 6 months she asks how this and that is like it was yesterday. She told us if something new comes that she thinks is appropriate she will have the office call.
On a light note I was reluctant to go to her, I was going to her partner in the same office who upped and left the state, my wife was her patient and I said I dont know shes so young, younger that two of our daughters my wife says shes great. So the first visit with her my wife was in the room and I told her I was reluctant because some things I may have to tell her may be a little embarassing if they come up, then I quickly said one thing for sure young lady there will be no fingerwaving no matter how much you wanna. GRIN, that kinda broke the ice and its been a great relationship.

:grin:

Yeah, a lot of research goes into that area.

Mister D
04-24-2013, 10:06 PM
Speaking of tea, I've been drinking a loose tea that is sold around here. It's a combo of Fennel seed, flax, fenugreek seed, licorice root and peppermint leaf. I think the stuff has great flavor, and it definitely helps me get Omega # fatty acids in my diet. Eating walnuts all the time can be costly and I'm allergic to all seafood.

Technically, herbal tea isn't tea per se but I drink rooibos. Having large swathes of a food group nixed like that blows. Good find for you.

Common
04-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Speaking of tea, I've been drinking a loose tea that is sold around here. It's a combo of Fennel seed, flax, fenugreek seed, licorice root and peppermint leaf. I think the stuff has great flavor, and it definitely helps me get Omega # fatty acids in my diet. Eating walnuts all the time can be costly and I'm allergic to all seafood.

Beans have alot of omega 3s kath and they are inexpensive Black beans are exceptionally good for you and if you buy them loose and soak them and make them yourself they are very inexpensive, you can buy cans of black beans for under a buck. Just a thought and a cheaper alternative

KC
04-24-2013, 10:12 PM
Technically, herbal tea isn't tea per se but I drink rooibos. Having large swathes of a food group nixed like that blows. Good find for you.

I haven't had rooibos.

KC
04-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Beans have alot of omega 3s kath and they are inexpensive Black beans are exceptionally good for you and if you buy them loose and soak them and make them yourself they are very inexpensive, you can buy cans of black beans for under a buck. Just a thought and a cheaper alternative

I didn't know that, but as it happens I eat tons of beans. They're cheap, filling and taste good, plus you can use em however you like. Thanks for the tip!

Common
04-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I didn't know that, but as it happens I eat tons of beans. They're cheap, filling and taste good, plus you can use em however you like. Thanks for the tip!

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2011/04/14/8-easy-ways-to-load-up-on-healthy-omega-3-fats

If you read down the list it says kidney beans, black beans are kidneys and so are Cannellini beans italian beans they are white kidneys.
If you like pasta just take a can of cannellini beans put them in a strainer wash them and just toss them on top of the pasta before you put the sauce, just put the leftover beans in a container and cover them with water. If you use whole grain pasta you will get lots of fibre some other nutrients and Omega3s :)

KC
04-24-2013, 10:27 PM
http://health.usnews.com/health-news/diet-fitness/diet/articles/2011/04/14/8-easy-ways-to-load-up-on-healthy-omega-3-fats

If you read down the list it says kidney beans, black beans are kidneys and so are Cannellini beans italian beans they are white kidneys.
If you like pasta just take a can of cannellini beans put them in a strainer wash them and just toss them on top of the pasta before you put the sauce, just put the leftover beans in a container and cover them with water. If you use whole grain pasta you will get lots of fibre some other nutrients and Omega3s :)

Man, that sounds good. Sort of like this hybrid dish my aunt used to make, using lasagna but she instead of tomato sauce and spinach she used fajita ingredients, including black beans. Delicious.

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 10:29 PM

Fasting doesn't turn your metabolism around. Eating does, but not eating excessive carbs. Eat meat and veg, several times a day, miniscule carbs and get out and move your body. You will lose weight. Starving yourself causes your body to hold on to every calorie.

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Speaking of tea, I've been drinking a loose tea that is sold around here. It's a combo of Fennel seed, flax, fenugreek seed, licorice root and peppermint leaf. I think the stuff has great flavor, and it definitely helps me get Omega 3 fatty acids in my diet. Eating walnuts all the time can be costly and I'm allergic to all seafood.
I suppose that also means Omega III fatty acid derived from crill. There are Omega III supplements that come from vegetarian sources.

Common
04-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Man, that sounds good. Sort of like this hybrid dish my aunt used to make, using lasagna but she instead of tomato sauce and spinach she used fajita ingredients, including black beans. Delicious.

Thats a variation of Pasts fasulla <pasta and beans> The real deal is made different but when I was growing up and meat was not an everyday pleasure we had things like this to assure nutrition. They knew everything back then, they could feed 4 people 4 times with one chicken.

Common
04-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Fasting doesn't turn your metabolism around. Eating does, but not eating excessive carbs. Eat meat and veg, several times a day, miniscule carbs and get out and move your body. You will lose weight. Starving yourself causes your body to hold on to every calorie.

Very true, but he cant eat meat he would need to substitute the protein fish and chicken.
I eat oatmeal or Post shredded wheat with bran every morning, I put frozen blueberries in the oatmeal and banana with the shredded wheat. EVERYDAY one or the other is breakfast and still I started to get cholesterol creep. I believe I know what it is, my age and the fact that I was in the house for a few months alot more than normal taking care of my wife after surgery and her taking care of me after she recovered from hers, kind of back to back. Im moving again lately

Dr. Who
04-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Very true, but he cant eat meat he would need to substitute the protein fish and chicken.
I eat oatmeal or Post shredded wheat with bran every morning, I put frozen blueberries in the oatmeal and banana with the shredded wheat. EVERYDAY one or the other is breakfast and still I started to get cholesterol creep. I believe I know what it is, my age and the fact that I was in the house for a few months alot more than normal taking care of my wife after surgery and her taking care of me after she recovered from hers, kind of back to back. Im moving again lately
Try working out with weights.

Common
04-24-2013, 11:17 PM
Try working out with weights.

Ive done alot of that in the past along with other stuff, my back wont allow that today.