PDA

View Full Version : Just a matter of Time Mr. Wayne LaPierre

Cigar
03-22-2013, 12:08 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2013/130322-so-dems-will-pay-a-political-price-for-supporting-background-checks-huh.jpg

New polling released Friday shows Americans overwhelmingly support universal background checks for gun sales. According to the Quinnipiac University (http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-centers/polling-institute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1871) poll, 88% of Americans nationwide support the measure while only 10% oppose. Support drops negligibly when among gun owners, who support universal checks 85% to 13%.

That support maintains in individual state polls as well, with 91% of Floridians, 93% of Connecticuters, 90% of Ohioans, 96% of New Jerseysans, and 92% of Virginians supporting the policy. In none of the states polled were gun owners significantly less supportive than the state as a whole.

In Pennsylvania, support for background checks was at 95% among both the general population and gun owners specifically. In fact, gun owners are less opposed to the measure. While 5% of all Pennsylvanians oppose background checks, only 4% of gun owners oppose it. That’s no small feat in Pennsylvania, a state with such a strong history of gun ownership that the first day of deer hunting season is also a school holiday (http://articles.mcall.com/2012-11-22/sports/mc-deer-hunting-season-11222012-20121122_1_deer-harvest-deer-populations-hunters-and-non-hunters).

The news comes on the heels of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s announcement that background checks “must (http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/03/21/senator-reid-pushes-back-any-gun-reform-bill-that-passes-must-include-background-checks/)” be part of any major gun reform bill that passes the Senate, and could presumably help to motivate pro-gun Democrats or Republicans to support a federal law requiring background checks on all gun purchases.

The big question now, goes to the House, where Speaker John Boehner does not appear willing to support the measure. He’s already flipped on the issue this week, telling CNN (http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/03/21/17400054-boehner-briefly-supports-real-background-checks-on-everyone?lite) he supported doing “a real background check on everyone” on Wednesday, only to backtrack the next day with a clarification from his spokesman that he had misspoke, and that “he only supports Justice Department background checks ‘that are already required that are not necessarily done. (http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/03/21/17400054-boehner-briefly-supports-real-background-checks-on-everyone?lite)‘”

If House Democrats can unanimously rally around the bill (which is not a safe bet), 17 Republicans would need to be convinced for the measure to pass. There are more than 55 Republicans representing the six states that have 90% or higher support for the measure (not including John Boehner, who’s presumably already a no vote). If 17 or more of those Republicans can be swayed, universal background checks may have a fighting chance at becoming law.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/03/22/overwhelming-support-for-background-checks-in-new-poll/

Maybe not this year, maybe not next year ... but Change is-a Coming. :grin:

Mister D
03-22-2013, 12:42 PM
Still smarting from that NRA bitch slapping? In any case, it won't do much to prevent gun violence.

BB-35
03-22-2013, 12:46 PM
Bull.....you can't even explain 'universal background checks',or how they'd work

As usual,quinnipac asked loaded questions designed to get favorable answers

TheDictator
03-22-2013, 12:50 PM
You want to stop gun violence.

Then Ban violent movies, violent computers games, and violent music.

Give life to those who use a gun in a crime. Give death to those who murder with a gun.

This will do more to prevent gun violence.

Greenridgeman
03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Bull.....you can't even explain 'universal background checks',or how they'd work

As usual,quinnipac asked loaded questions designed to get favorable answers

Interesting thing is, BATF is backlogged with checks from FFL dealers, and still does not seek prosecution when people lie when trying to buy a gun, and the background check reveals that lie.

I don't even care, I can pass a check anytime, have passed hundreds, and I do not sell surplus guns I dispose of to anyone who will not submit to a background check anyway.

At guns shows, where I do sell a gun now and then, I always ask potential buyers to step over to a dealer and let him run a check; if they balk, no sale.

Greenridgeman
03-22-2013, 12:56 PM
You want to stop gun violence.

Then Ban violent movies, violent computers games, and violent music.

Give life to those who use a gun in a crime. Give death to those who murder with a gun.

This will do more to prevent gun violence.

Subtract suicides, and the number of gun deaths aren't that significant anyway, except in certain geographical areas where the Democratic machine rules, and those areas usually, but I will admit not always, have the strictest gun laws.

Subtract mass killings by madmen, which really inflame and emotionalize the issue, and the numbers are even more insignificant.

Discuss limiting the rights of the mentally ill, and then you really get an emotional response.

Cigar
03-22-2013, 12:57 PM
Just matter of time ...

Cigar
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Subtract suicides, and the number of gun deaths aren't that significant anyway, except in certain geographical areas where the Democratic machine rules, and those areas usually, but I will admit not always, have the strictest gun laws.

Subtract mass killings by madmen, which really inflame and emotionalize the issue, and the numbers are even more insignificant.

Discuss limiting the rights of the mentally ill, and then you really get an emotional response.

They're all insignificant ... until its someone you care about.

Mister D
03-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Just matter of time ...

Before the NRA gives you the pimp hand again? Probably. You people never learn.

Mister D
03-22-2013, 01:00 PM

What would the proposed changes solve? Do you know?

Greenridgeman
03-22-2013, 01:04 PM

I am 64, only 5 people I know have been killed by guns.

One suicide, and four killed by juveniles.

None has ever been killed by an assault rifle, or by a weapon with a large magazine.

I cannot count the number of people I have known killed by automobiles.

And I did not say the people killed by guns were insignificant, I said the numbers were insignificant, but I would not expect you to be able to understand the finer points of reading comprehension.

Greenridgeman
03-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Just matter of time ...

Yes, we are well familiar with the communist mantra, two steps forward, one step back.

Cigar
03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
I am 64, only 5 people I know have been killed by guns.

One suicide, and four killed by juveniles.

None has ever been killed by an assault rifle, or by a weapon with a large magazine.

I cannot count the number of people I have known killed by automobiles.

And I did not say the people killed by guns were insignificant, I said the numbers were insignificant, but I would not expect you to be able to understand the finer points of reading comprehension.

Good, I'm glad the Bill wouldn't affect you.

BB-35
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Interesting thing is, BATF is backlogged with checks from FFL dealers, and still does not seek prosecution when people lie when trying to buy a gun, and the background check reveals that lie.

I don't even care, I can pass a check anytime, have passed hundreds, and I do not sell surplus guns I dispose of to anyone who will not submit to a background check anyway.

At guns shows, where I do sell a gun now and then, I always ask potential buyers to step over to a dealer and let him run a check; if they balk, no sale.

I have no problem with private sellers seeking out a FFL holder and getting him to run a background check but how is it supposed to be enforced?

Unless there is a universal gun registry also,we'd rely on the honesty of the private seller.

TheDictator
03-22-2013, 01:09 PM
Good, I'm glad the Bill wouldn't affect you.

Yes and the Bill will not affect 99.9% of anything.

Cigar
03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Yes and the Bill will not affect 99.9% of anything.

So why all the anger?

TheDictator
03-22-2013, 01:15 PM
So why all the anger?

People get angry when they think you are taking away their rights

Cigar
03-22-2013, 01:16 PM
People get angry when they think you are taking away their rights

Care to name that Right that is being taken away?

TheDictator
03-22-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't think this Bill does anything but make people fill better. I do believe this is a first step of a Liberal policy to take away peoples guns and ability to protect themselves.

Cigar
03-22-2013, 01:26 PM
I don't think this Bill does anything but make people fill better. I do believe this is a first step of a Liberal policy to take away peoples guns and ability to protect themselves.

:rollseyes: Yea Fear will work

Mister D
03-22-2013, 01:28 PM

It hasn't worked for you. The NRA just bitch slapped your ass down. :laugh:

Cigar
03-22-2013, 01:37 PM
http://orangejuiceblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/nra-democrats.jpg

Greenridgeman
03-22-2013, 01:40 PM

Speaking of fear, why do liberal anti-gun nuts fear honest, law abiding citizens being armed with any small arms at all?

nic34
03-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Speaking of fear, why do liberal anti-gun nuts fear honest, law abiding citizens being armed with any small arms at all?

We don't.

So much for that theory.

Greenridgeman
03-22-2013, 01:59 PM
We don't.

So much for that theory.

Apparently many do.

I see no reason my AK, AR's and M1-A should not have full-auto capacity.

We have much greater crime rates than we had back before full-auto was banned.

And if I wanted to kill as many people as possible, full auto would not be an option anyway, one shot, one kill.

Cigar
03-22-2013, 01:59 PM
We don't.

So much for that theory.

Either they really are that Stupid or they just don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

Cigar
03-22-2013, 02:01 PM
Apparently many do.

I see no reason my AK, AR's and M1-A should not have full-auto capacity.

We have much greater crime rates than we had back before full-auto was banned.

And if I wanted to kill as many people as possible, full auto would not be an option anyway, one shot, one kill.

I personally don't care if you have them ... just register them.

So when Leroy pops you over the head and takes it from you, it can be traced back to you.

Greenridgeman
03-22-2013, 02:04 PM
I personally don't care if you have them ... just register them.

So when Leroy pops you over the head and takes it from you, it can be traced back to you.

Leroy mostly kills his own kind, if by Leroy you mean black gangbangers.

Remove black on black gun deaths from the equation, and we really have little need for any gun laws.

I will not register any gun, I can tell you that.

Mister D
03-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Remove black on black gun deaths from the equation, and we really have little need for any gun laws.

Made the same point myself. You are absolutely correct.

Mister D
03-22-2013, 02:06 PM
Either they really are that Stupid or they just don't know what the fuck they're talking about.

This coming from the guy who lied about owning guns.

Greenridgeman
03-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Made the same point myself. You are absolutely correct.

Apparently Democrats feel blacks cannot manage any aspects of their lives without big daddy feds.

Cigar
03-22-2013, 02:08 PM

Not a Leroy who is looking to take AK, AR's and M1-A that is full-auto capacity :grin:

Cigar
03-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Apparently Democrats feel blacks cannot manage any aspects of their lives without big daddy feds.

There's only one real way to find out. :grin:

Mister D
Not a Leroy who is looking to take AK, AR's and M1-A that is full-auto capacity :grin:

Those Leroys get killed.

nic34

That's right. You'll need 'em for the drones.......:tinfoil:

Cigar
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Those Leroys get killed.

Meet LeRoy :grin:

http://www.arrestcourtinfo.com/Criminal-Records/FL/HCSO/1998/01/25/LEROY-ELLIS/LEROY-ELLIS.jpg

zelmo1234
03-22-2013, 06:56 PM

I try to keep the people I care about????? out of gun free zones, so they have a lot better chance of staying alive!

Peter1469
03-22-2013, 07:06 PM
http://upload.democraticunderground.com/imgs/2013/130322-so-dems-will-pay-a-political-price-for-supporting-background-checks-huh.jpg

New polling released Friday shows Americans overwhelmingly support universal background checks for gun sales. According to the Quinnipiac University (http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-centers/polling-institute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1871) poll, 88% of Americans nationwide support the measure while only 10% oppose. Support drops negligibly when among gun owners, who support universal checks 85% to 13%.

That support maintains in individual state polls as well, with 91% of Floridians, 93% of Connecticuters, 90% of Ohioans, 96% of New Jerseysans, and 92% of Virginians supporting the policy. In none of the states polled were gun owners significantly less supportive than the state as a whole.

In Pennsylvania, support for background checks was at 95% among both the general population and gun owners specifically. In fact, gun owners are less opposed to the measure. While 5% of all Pennsylvanians oppose background checks, only 4% of gun owners oppose it. That’s no small feat in Pennsylvania, a state with such a strong history of gun ownership that the first day of deer hunting season is also a school holiday (http://articles.mcall.com/2012-11-22/sports/mc-deer-hunting-season-11222012-20121122_1_deer-harvest-deer-populations-hunters-and-non-hunters).

The news comes on the heels of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s announcement that background checks “must (http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/03/21/senator-reid-pushes-back-any-gun-reform-bill-that-passes-must-include-background-checks/)” be part of any major gun reform bill that passes the Senate, and could presumably help to motivate pro-gun Democrats or Republicans to support a federal law requiring background checks on all gun purchases.

The big question now, goes to the House, where Speaker John Boehner does not appear willing to support the measure. He’s already flipped on the issue this week, telling CNN (http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/03/21/17400054-boehner-briefly-supports-real-background-checks-on-everyone?lite) he supported doing “a real background check on everyone” on Wednesday, only to backtrack the next day with a clarification from his spokesman that he had misspoke, and that “he only supports Justice Department background checks ‘that are already required that are not necessarily done. (http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/03/21/17400054-boehner-briefly-supports-real-background-checks-on-everyone?lite)‘”

If House Democrats can unanimously rally around the bill (which is not a safe bet), 17 Republicans would need to be convinced for the measure to pass. There are more than 55 Republicans representing the six states that have 90% or higher support for the measure (not including John Boehner, who’s presumably already a no vote). If 17 or more of those Republicans can be swayed, universal background checks may have a fighting chance at becoming law.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/03/22/overwhelming-support-for-background-checks-in-new-poll/

Maybe not this year, maybe not next year ... but Change is-a Coming. :grin:

You should be attack Harry Reid. He didn't call a vote to protect his dem senators from being put on the record - I agree with you- they should vote. :wink: