PDA

View Full Version : Nike Resigns Michael Vick

Conley
07-02-2011, 10:02 PM
"What does this mean for Nike, and more importantly, for Vick?

First, for Nike, it means getting one of the most watched, and most controversial, players in football back under its logo. No matter if you love or hate Vick, and most people have a polarizing stance on the guy, you will watch him when he's on the field, and that is just more exposure for Nike.

For Vick, it shows that the public is moving past the dogfighting and seeing him more as a football player again. Sure, his friends and family can boost him up, but when a company is willing to dump millions of dollars back into your boat, you have obviously recuperated quite well.

Nike isn't the first to give Vick another chance in the corporate world. Unequal Technologies and Core Synergy both signed Vick as a sponsor after the 2010 season, but nothing has been nearly as big, and significant, as Nike."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Michael-Vick-and-Nike-join-forces-once-again;_ylt=AmXnDC5SpyvY0rO8OCJtUTc5nYcB?urn=nfl-wp3100

I guess Nike is going for the 'street cred' with this move ::) Where's AZ to defend MVick? I know the guy has a right to make a living but I have a right to hope he goes on with a life outside the public eye. Don't need him to pretend to be a 'role model' and teach kids it's ok to do whatever you want as long as you say you're sorry after you get caught red handed.

MMC
07-03-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't really care for Vick....but now if he was to come to the Chicago Bears. I might just be inclined to cheer him on. ;D

Conley
07-03-2011, 06:22 PM
Jay Cutler got your Bears pretty far...or they did it inspite of him? ;D

MMC
07-03-2011, 06:27 PM
JAY CUTLER? JAY CUTLER! http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/signs/rtfm.gif http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/signs/misc_rant2.gif lol

Conley
07-03-2011, 06:29 PM
JAY CUTLER? JAY CUTLER! http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/signs/rtfm.gif http://www.politicalhotwire.com/images/smilies/signs/misc_rant2.gif lol

hahahahhahahaha thought that might get yer attention ;)

i am so ready for football to start...guess we might only get college this year

MMC
07-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah and now the NBA is walking out for next year. Then Watch baseball will come back round to say they didn't get their fair share.

They may salvage an 8 game season for the Pro's.....that when I think all football fans should boycott all games and watching it on television. Cost them that loss of big time money for all involved and les see if they go out on strike again.

Otherwise your right might just be College-Ball.

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 09:16 PM
I believe that when someone pays their debt to society, they should get a clean slate for the most part.

Vick is getting his slate back.

Conley
07-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I believe that when someone pays their debt to society, they should get a clean slate for the most part.

how has he repaid his debt to society ??? by serving time?

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 09:36 PM

How else?

On top of that he lost tens of millions in salary and endorsements. If he were an average schmuck, he would have lost a lot less.

He paid more than his fair debt to society.

Conley
07-03-2011, 09:44 PM

How else?

On top of that he lost tens of millions in salary and endorsements. If he were an average schmuck, he would have lost a lot less.

He paid more than his fair debt to society.

I thought maybe you were referring to doing some community outreach, donations to charity, etc...stuff that actually helps society.

He got caught, denied everything, and then pleaded to a deal once his co-conspirators told what happened. I don't think he's remorseful of his actions, I do think he is sorry he got caught. If he hadn't been caught, he'd probably still be doing it. But I don't know the man, so I could be wrong.

Sure, he has the right to make a living, just I have a right to wish he didn't play in the NFL and be used as an example that you can do whatever you want as long as you're a star athlete. Just serving time isn't enough to "wipe the slate clean" and pretend it never happened, not for me...That's how I feel about a lot of heinous crimes, to be honest.

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Yes he did bad things.

My personal belief is that when someone pays their debt (jail time), they paid their debt.

Vick paid his debt.

That's all I'm saying.

Holding hm to some other standard because of his past is discriminatory (not racially either).

Conley
07-03-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes he did bad things.

My personal belief is that when someone pays their debt (jail time), they paid their debt.[

Vick paid his debt.

That's all I'm saying.

Holding hm to some other standard because of his past is discriminatory (not racially either).

That's cool. My personal belief is different from yours, the part I italicized. I guess you could say I'm "discriminating" against him because of his criminal past, but I think that's sort of an odd use of the word. I'm not saying it should be illegal for him to play in the NFL or get giant endorsement deals, just that I wish it wouldn't happen.

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 09:56 PM
There needs to be a fundamental belief in the justice and rehabilitation system, otherwise we're kidding ourselves. I don't think that's the case either.

If he screws up again, the fact that he's a convicted felon will weigh heavily on his next sentencing. That's how the system works. He gets a second shot like anyone else, it's up to him to do the best with it that he can.

Conley
07-03-2011, 10:00 PM
There needs to be a fundamental belief in the justice and rehabilitation system, otherwise we're kidding ourselves. I don't think that's the case either.

If he screws up again, the fact that he's a convicted felon will weigh heavily on his next sentencing. That's how the system works. He gets a second shot like anyone else, it's up to him to do the best with it that he can.

Generally I think prison works more as a punishment than a rehabilitation. I wish I felt that rehabilitation were more likely, but based on re-incarceration rates I don't see it.

MMC
07-04-2011, 06:45 AM

Well theres the problem.....there is no rehabilitation System anymore. Nor has there been one since the last 70's.

Mister D
07-04-2011, 09:45 AM
As hideous as I think his actions were you have to give the guy a second chance. He will be forever tainted by this and that's just a fact but we shouldn't continue to punish him.

Conley
07-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Theoretically I think some criminals, like drug abusers, can be successfully rehabilitated. Not going to get into whether prison actually does that right now.

Some other crimes, such as torturing animals, are to me indicative of a more sinister and aberrant illness. In my mind people like that need intensive psychotherapy, medication, etc. It is a sign of a sociopath who may well pose a threat to society.

Somewhat lost in the Vick discussion is that he wasn't just guilty of dog fighting. Plenty of Southerns have argued that's their custom. This guy went above and beyond that by torturing these animals, drownings, electrocutions, crushing their skulls, etc. To me that is the most concerning part of the case against him.

Since he's been out of jail, there have already been some problems including a shooting in a public place at one of his parties, where one of the government witnesses in the case against him was shot. As is custom in this culture, no one would cooperate with the investigation so the police had to drop the case. To me these are all valid reasons for concern.

Mister D
07-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Some other crimes, such as torturing animals, are to me indicative of a more sinister and aberrant illness.

I readily acknowledge the truth of that statement. It does suggest a more general moral depravity.

Conley
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
Looks like the man may be going above and beyond what he is required to do by making an extra effort...I applaud him for that

"WASHINGTON -- Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick brought his anti-dogfighting message to Congress on Tuesday, backing legislation that would penalize those who knowingly attend animal fights and allow minors to attend.

Vick, who served 18 months in prison on dogfighting charges, said he wants to teach kids not to repeat his mistakes and to take profits away from sponsors of these events.

The football star has been speaking at churches and schools along with Wayne Pacelle, president and chief executive officer of the Humane Society of the United States. Pacelle told the news conference, "I had a lot of soul searching to do" before deciding to partner with Vick in efforts to stop animal-fighting events."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6783947/michael-vick-philadelphia-eagles-takes-anti-dogfighting-mission-congress

MMC
07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Working his potential and future charitable tax write offs.....huh?

Conley
07-19-2011, 02:32 PM
probably true but i am looking for the silver lining ;)

MMC
07-19-2011, 03:50 PM
lol a Silver lining eh.....well he could have done some B-grade movies.

http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/qzqmTiErgpo/movieposter.jpg?v=4e206c60

A hobo (Rutger Hauer) blows into a lawless town, arms himself with a shotgun, and decides to take down a ruthless crime boss in this violent, neo-exploitation.....of Delivering Justice. One Shell at a Time..... :D ;D

Conley
07-19-2011, 03:55 PM
:D

Rutger Hauer is a weird looking dude..I remember him creeping me out in Blade Runner

Mister D
07-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Rutger Hauer is a weird looking dude..I remember him creeping me out in Blade Runner

That had a werid felel to it but I kind of liked it.

Conley
07-19-2011, 04:31 PM

I did too, but I watched the Director's Cut and it kind of lagged...I think the shorter version would probably be better, the establishing shots tended to drag on for a while

MMC
07-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Hey hey hey.....don't be picking on Rutger. He oftens does a little side work for me..... >:D lol

Deckard vs. Batty Scene - Blade Runner Movie (1982) - HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dA3DePirsE#ws)

Mister D
07-19-2011, 06:05 PM

I did too, but I watched the Director's Cut and it kind of lagged...I think the shorter version would probably be better, the establishing shots tended to drag on for a while

Han Solo had that cool gun too. I'm calling Han Solo because I can't remember his name I don't feel like looking it up. I'm not a big sci fi guy. I liked the original Terminator which was one of the grimmest flics I've ever seen but I don;t care for much sci fi.

MMC
07-19-2011, 06:23 PM
"Army of Darkness" Little goodie two shoes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwzdd-Slo8#)

"What," no Sci-Fi.....oh you one of those Cop Show fans, a little Magnum P.I., maybe some Mayberry RFD..... >:D

Heya.....Chief sounds like D. is going soft again. Ya might wanna break him out his old pair of goodie two-shoes. ::) :P :D

Mister D
07-19-2011, 06:27 PM
You know television makes you dumber, right? ;) ;D

MMC
07-19-2011, 06:34 PM
Well you know I need ammo that can be understood for those liberal elites..... >:D

Conley
07-19-2011, 06:34 PM

gotta admit i love the sci fi and the cops shows...i'll watch anything if it's done well. for some reason there seems to be a lot more high quality cop shows (the wire) than sci fi (terminator). i guess sci fi nerds are so desperate they'll watch anything

Mister D
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM

gotta admit i love the sci fi and the cops shows...i'll watch anything if it's done well. for some reason there seems to be a lot more high quality cop shows (the wire) than sci fi (terminator). i guess sci fi nerds are so desperate they'll watch anything

It used to be a solid genre. Star Trek and all that stuff.

Conley
07-19-2011, 06:54 PM

Yeah, The Next Generation was pretty good at the time...wasn't around for the original. I never watched any of the more recent.

Mister D
07-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Yeah, The Next Generation was pretty good at the time...wasn't around for the original. I never watched any of the more recent.

The original was great and the Space Odyssey movies were hits. Would Twilight Zone count as sci fi?

MMC
07-19-2011, 06:59 PM
Yep Twight Zone would..... :)

Conley
07-19-2011, 07:00 PM
mos def

Conley
07-19-2011, 07:02 PM

not sure...

gonna take a wild guess and say the obese one is long since buried

Mister D
07-19-2011, 07:06 PM

not sure...

gonna take a wild guess and say the obese one is long since buried

I mentioned Rerun in another thread. ;D

Fred Berry was his name.

Berry died on October 21, 2003, at his Los Angeles home where he was recovering from a stroke.

That show ended in 1979. I guess I grew up watching reruns. Get it! I'm sooo funny. That was a masterful play on words. :o :P

Conley
07-19-2011, 07:09 PM
you are hilarious, but then again i am easily amused ;D

you mentioned him on another thread...oh fuck i see what i did

can ya tell i've been drinkin

gettin my threads mixed up

:D :D :D

Mister D
07-19-2011, 07:12 PM
you are hilarious, but then again i am easily amused ;D

you mentioned him on another thread...oh fuck i see what i did

can ya tell i've been drinkin

gettin my threads mixed up

:D :D :D

Havin' a cold one myself. 8) This can't get too confused with just the 4 of us.

Conley
07-19-2011, 07:13 PM
i'm ashamed to admit i'm drinking miller lite...i justify it by saying it's mostly water with an alcohol spritzer

Mister D
07-19-2011, 07:28 PM
i'm ashamed to admit i'm drinking miller lite...i justify it by saying it's mostly water with an alcohol spritzer

I'm drinking Pabst Blue Ribbon, dude. I justify it by pointing out that it's $11.99 for an 18 pack and it''s better than Bud.

Conley
07-19-2011, 07:38 PM
yeah I got a 30 pack of miller lite for $15.99

of course we have CA CRV which adds $1.50 to that, but I get my money back (like a homeless person)

not sure if they have that in nj/ny but probably as it seems a lefty thing

Mister D
07-19-2011, 07:54 PM
yeah I got a 30 pack of miller lite for $15.99

of course we have CA CRV which adds $1.50 to that, but I get my money back (like a homeless person)

not sure if they have that in nj/ny but probably as it seems a lefty thing

I guess we do have higher taxes than you. Bud, Coors and Miller are usually $17.99. NJ doesn't have that deposit for the bottles. NY does though.