PDA

View Full Version : Problems with this forum

Private Pickle
03-29-2013, 10:33 AM
All,

Just a rant here but one I think important to the health of this forum.

1) We are continually seeing posters create new threads with just a quote from the article and a link (sometimes). That is simply reposting the news and not conducive to any kind of discussion. An opinion should always follow a posting of a new thread and there should be some catalyst to debate. I can't tell you how annoying it is to see someone just post a tidbit from an article with nothing else.

What is your take on the article? Why are we discussing it? What is the debate?

2) Although I can't prove it obviously I'm quite certain we have seen an influx of multiple user names and accounts from the same individuals. This needs to be nipped in the bud immediately. This is not conducive to a healthy forum, is mostly meant to troll and waters down the credibility of the forum. I suggest a warning with a ban of multiple accounts leaving the original. If this continues ban them all.

I like this forum a lot. People here are intelligent and for the most part friendly. We have great discussions and debates. I hate to see this forum start to lose its members to other sites that more closely administer the rules. It's annoying to see these things taking place and I hope that it can be rectified so we can move forward with a smart, clean and friendly political discussion environment.

That is all...

Santa's Little Helper
03-29-2013, 10:45 AM
Who has multiple accounts I don't notice any distinct matches but usually a Soks leaves clues to it's original personality even if the IP doesn't match

Chris
03-29-2013, 10:49 AM
1) It's fine to open a thread with a citation you find interesting. It either starts a discussion or it doesn't. --My opinion, of course, as yours is yours.

2) IP addresses are checked, or can be. If you suspect someone wearing multiple sock puppets, report them or use PM to a mod who can have it checked.

Private Pickle
03-29-2013, 10:58 AM
1) It's fine to open a thread with a citation you find interesting. It either starts a discussion or it doesn't. --My opinion, of course, as yours is yours.

I suggest you make it a rule or close the thread. No problem with opening one...waste of space if you're not even gonna say you find it interesting. At least that sparks some kind of conversation. I'm not here to read the news twice.

2) IP addresses are checked, or can be. If you suspect someone wearing multiple sock puppets, report them or use PM to a mod who can have it checked.

I'm not a mod nor do I have any desire to be... I think the mods should be more diligent here... That's all I'm saying...

Ravi
03-29-2013, 11:54 AM
Why do people always want MORE RULES???

Santa's Little Helper
03-29-2013, 11:56 AM
I suggest you make it a rule or close the thread. No problem with opening one...waste of space if you're not even gonna say you find it interesting. At least that sparks some kind of conversation. I'm not here to read the news twice.

I'm not a mod nor do I have any desire to be... I think the mods should be more diligent here... That's all I'm saying...

Well all things considered this place ain't half bad compared to other boards I've seen out there

The moderation is consistent and fair and just the right blend of not too strict but diligent enough to keep the riff Raff out

Alif Qadr
03-29-2013, 03:19 PM
I do see the validity of Private Pickle's concern and I think people should be mature adults and monitor themselves but unfortunately, many refuse to do even that much for themselves.
It is because of these types of people that rules and regs exist in the first place. If you are not going to control yourself, someone has to for the betterment of all involved. It is a shame that even a person such as myself sees the legitimacy of certain rules and regs from outside entities.

Chris
03-29-2013, 03:50 PM
I understand a rule against having multiple accounts (sock puppets), that is a rule here, just report those you suspect and it'll be checked out.

But a rule against posting what you consider interesting excerpts of source material for discussion with little or even no comments of your own, why have such a rule? If you don't like that, then ignore it, find another thread or create your own. Why impose your preferences on others?

The rules heres are aimed at promoting discussion and preventing distracting and disturbing discussion.

Santa's Little Helper
03-29-2013, 04:30 PM
I understand a rule against having multiple accounts (sock puppets), that is a rule here, just report those you suspect and it'll be checked out.

But a rule against posting what you consider interesting excerpts of source material for discussion with little or even no comments of your own, why have such a rule? If you don't like that, then ignore it, find another thread or create your own. Why impose your preferences on others?

The rules heres are aimed at promoting discussion and preventing distracting and disturbing discussion.

Making Soks can also result in a banhammer as Well as an IP block restricting access to this site

Dr. Who
03-29-2013, 05:28 PM

I agree with PP that the OP include some sort of opinion or at least a question by the poster, but I don't know whether it should be a rule. On the other hand it would avoid a lot of questions like "what's your point"? Perhaps it could be included in the guidelines for posting? Don't know about sock puppets. I think that trolls reveal themselves in short order.

ADMIN
03-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Members,

As has been stated, I wish to confirm that multiple accounts are not permitted at The Political Forums.

All new member accounts are reviewed to see the referring URL and to ensure that there are no duplicate I.P. addresses.

@Private Pickle (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=615) is correct that we have recently experienced an influx of new membership; this is due to an improvement in our rankings in Google as well as some member referrals.

If anyone is concerned about a new account, he or she is welcome to email one of the moderators to voice his or her concerns. In some rare instances, members have registered multiple accounts. When these actions are discovered, the moderators will discuss the matter with the member, and only one account will be permitted. If the activity persists, or if it is being used to circumvent a ban, all accounts are closed and the corresponding I.P. address(es) are blocked. In the case of dynamic I.P. addresses, we are more than willing to ban entire subblocks and have done so when necessary.

Santa's Little Helper
03-30-2013, 06:58 AM
I agree with PP that the OP include some sort of opinion or at least a question by the poster, but I don't know whether it should be a rule. On the other hand it would avoid a lot of questions like "what's your point"? Perhaps it could be included in the guidelines for posting? Don't know about sock puppets. I think that trolls reveal themselves in short order.

Just buy afew cases of this stuff it seems to do the trick

Santa's Little Helper
03-30-2013, 07:58 AM
They try to catch me trolling dirty

Santa's Little Helper
03-30-2013, 08:08 AM

Chris
03-30-2013, 09:47 AM
As for posting without commenting see http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/11933-WWII-The-battle-for-Cologne-Tank-duel-at-the-cathedral.

I found the video, thought there's a few here who are interested in that, and simple posted. The discussion that's followed is equally interesting.

If what you post starts a discussion without you saying a word, as Martha would say, it's a good thing.

Chris
03-30-2013, 09:48 AM
They try to catch me trolling dirty

Santa, you just try too hard.

Greenridgeman
04-06-2013, 06:44 PM
All,

Just a rant here but one I think important to the health of this forum.

1) We are continually seeing posters create new threads with just a quote from the article and a link (sometimes). That is simply reposting the news and not conducive to any kind of discussion. An opinion should always follow a posting of a new thread and there should be some catalyst to debate. I can't tell you how annoying it is to see someone just post a tidbit from an article with nothing else.

What is your take on the article? Why are we discussing it? What is the debate?

2) Although I can't prove it obviously I'm quite certain we have seen an influx of multiple user names and accounts from the same individuals. This needs to be nipped in the bud immediately. This is not conducive to a healthy forum, is mostly meant to troll and waters down the credibility of the forum. I suggest a warning with a ban of multiple accounts leaving the original. If this continues ban them all.

I like this forum a lot. People here are intelligent and for the most part friendly. We have great discussions and debates. I hate to see this forum start to lose its members to other sites that more closely administer the rules. It's annoying to see these things taking place and I hope that it can be rectified so we can move forward with a smart, clean and friendly political discussion environment.

That is all...

We have third of a billion people in the country, two dozen choose to be here as members at any given time, and you want to get picky?

Almost any post is good post if nobody is posting.

Santa's Little Helper
04-06-2013, 07:33 PM
We have third of a billion people in the country, two dozen choose to be here as members at any given time, and you want to get picky?

Almost any post is good post if nobody is posting. Dude 100% totally SPOT-ON

I recently OPed a thread about those VIEWERS also known as GUESTS them punk bastard be THEIVES they stealing

Spinless weak kneed gomna view our blood sweat and tears then they aint got the guta to register and CONTRIBUTE

SIGN UP and POST aint like its all that had here ya dont even gotta go back email to verify just sign up author a profile and POST

Perhaps the spectators are what ya call SQEAMISH

Chris
04-06-2013, 08:42 PM
Dude 100% totally SPOT-ON

I recently OPed a thread about those VIEWERS also known as GUESTS them punk bastard be THEIVES they stealing

Spinless weak kneed gomna view our blood sweat and tears then they aint got the guta to register and CONTRIBUTE

SIGN UP and POST aint like its all that had here ya dont even gotta go back email to verify just sign up author a profile and POST

Perhaps the spectators are what ya call SQEAMISH

What are you yammering about. Those "guests" are mostly spiders and crawlers and other web bots.

Santa's Little Helper
04-06-2013, 08:56 PM
What are you yammering about. Those "guests" are mostly spiders and crawlers and other web bots.
Yeah well those WEB BOTS are FREELOADERS also known as PARASITES sucking off the host

Chris
04-06-2013, 08:57 PM
Those web bots index the forum for google, bing, yahoo! etc so people can find us.

Santa's Little Helper
04-06-2013, 08:58 PM
All I b askin bro is to REGISTER and POST have some SKIN in the game

CONTRIBUTE and Pay yo FAIR SHARE and POST GODDABIT

Chris
04-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Bots are software. Name comes from robots.