PDA

View Full Version : Alawite and Sunni Fighting in Syria

Conley
11-20-2011, 09:05 AM
BEIRUT, Lebanon — A harrowing sectarian war has spread across the Syrian city of Homs this month, with supporters and opponents of the government blamed for beheadings, rival gangs carrying out tit-for-tat kidnappings, minorities fleeing for their native villages, and taxi drivers too fearful of drive-by shootings to ply the streets.

As it descends into sectarian hatred, Homs has emerged as a chilling window on what civil war in Syria could look like, just as some of Syria’s closest allies say the country appears to be heading in that direction. A spokesman for the Syrian opposition last week called the killings and kidnappings on both sides “a perilous threat to the revolution.” An American official called the strife in Homs “reminiscent of the former Yugoslavia,” where the very term “ethnic cleansing” originated in the 1990s.

“Over the past couple of weeks, we’ve seen sectarian attacks on the rise, and really ugly sectarian attacks,” the Obama administration official said in Washington. The longer President Bashar al-Assad “stays in power, what you see in Homs, you’ll see across Syria.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/20/world/middleeast/in-homs-syria-sectarian-battles-stir-fears-of-civil-war.html

It's being compared to the war in Yugoslavia...not good. I do not think Assad can stop this now.

Then there's this:

"In past weeks, Homs was buckling under a relentless crackdown as the government tried to reimpose control over the city. Dozens were killed, but the American official said the Obama administration believed the government withdrew some forces in accordance with an Arab League plan to end the violence. Residents offered a different version. Several said the government had repainted tanks and armored vehicles blue and redeployed them as a police force carrying out the same operations."

Peter1469
11-20-2011, 09:47 AM
I think that civil war within Islam is in the national security interests of the US.

Conley
11-20-2011, 09:49 AM
I think that civil war within Islam is in the national security interests of the US.

As long as it doesn't affect oil output I agree. Even if it did, in some instances it might be worth it.

Peter1469
11-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Well, you know my position on oil.

If I had my way we would have zero use for it, or the Middle East.

Conley
11-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Well, here's another thing that gives me hope. Back when the Middle East was much more stable, it was easier for OPEC and the governments to control the flow and price of oil. Market manipulation was easy. Now with all the unrest and potential disruptions in both drilling and transport via pipeline and carrier, it is going to be much more difficult to maintain that degree control. One way OPEC and oil barons killed alternative energy investments was by periodically flooding the market and dropping the price of oil. If we see the ME engulfed in flames, oil will skyrocket and the world will have no choice but to invest more heavily in alternatives.

Even (especially) if the new governments of the Middle East become hard core fundamentalists, it might just be the kick we need to leave the region for good. As long as they don't have nuclear capabilities and long range missiles (to reach our shores) hopefully that will be the end of it.

Peter1469
11-20-2011, 12:04 PM
That is certainly true.

MMC
11-21-2011, 06:57 AM
So when will the Obama Administration Admit to the fact that as long as the Saudi and all Sunni are left in power. That this is what will continue to see with the Shia and all others not Sunni. That we get to watch the Sunni Oppress and Subjugate all Sunni Arabs. Then all others that are non-Arab in that region. What takes place if the Shia are so far removed from the picture of holding any power anywheres? What happens when the Sunni reign supreme?

That this worthless argument of the Region will be, all wanting Nukes if Iran gets nukes. Such a partial truth to heavily relied upon as an excuse by the Saud and the rest of the Sunni. While in the meantime they build Military infrastructure. Gain military technologies. Same damn excuse that both our political parties use to rationalize what is taking place there. Manipulate the west thru the only thing they have. Yet all the while work against us while trying to get the US dollar removed as the world's Currency. Involve themselves into Our Politics and that of other Nations. By donating moneys. Derailing our own interests as a priority so that we can push theirs.

The only thing that I can agree to about Islam being a Security Interest to the US. Would be under the order of buisness concerning genocide. That we play it straight up. No bending the rules. Whats good for the gander is good for the goose. Which is how we should play All of the Sunni. Instead of kissing their ass. Get them out of our politics put them into proper perspective. For now and the future! Take away their pinch. They got nothing to offer.