PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye new friend

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Pale ale #1 just kicked. Drew that last draft with a bit of chunky goodness in it which means that it's bottoming out.

That.... was a good beer. Clean, crisp, good malt flavor, you can taste the hops but they weren't overpowering. I have to brew this batch again, it was fantastic. Solid head and a collar that clung to the glass for a long time after draining it.

Next up - porter. It's in the fridge now, I thought I might have to tap it tonight but I'm pretty pissed up as it is. That keg leaked a little at first and before I put it in the fridge earlier today I thought I'd pressure test it. Took an ice pick and pushed down on the gas intake nozzle and got a face full of beer. Smelled good, and obviously holding pressure.

Still might tap it. We're a quarter way into an old James Bond movie - Goldfinger, and this glass of boogery pale ale won't last long.

Conley
07-02-2011, 10:21 PM
whew...was afraid this was going to be a thread about putting a dog to sleep.

sounds like you've got the hang of the brewing. did your first few batches taste like skunk? i've heard there's a learning curve...i still don't think i could compete with the micros i can get here in ca for flavor, and it's not that expensive anyhow

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 10:38 PM
No - this is that first batch.

I've been technically brewing for 20 years, took a 15+ year hiatus on the project for a number of reasons and recently got back into it.

That first batch - I was thinking it would be a practice run. I was shooting for something drinkable. Turned out that it was fucking fantastic. Absolutely great, I would put that beer up against any other beer in it's category. It's better than the battery acid that they sell down at the local brew pub.

So far I've drank 3 batches of my stuff. One in bottles that was ok - batch #2. Not sure what I did wrong but it watn't that bad. Carbonation was inconsistent - because I didn't swirl the priming sugar in the carboy before bottling. That's a mistake that I realized off the bat but the beer part was ok. 3rd was maybe #3. It was good also. Not great, but good. I don't know what caused this difference - probably because I let #1 age in the keg longer.

I'm going to go tap that porter now. Hopefully in my drunken state I don't injure myself.

Conley
07-02-2011, 10:40 PM
No - this is that first batch.

I've been technically brewing for 20 years, took a 15+ year hiatus on the project for a number of reasons and recently got back into it.

That first batch - I was thinking it would be a practice run. I was shooting for something drinkable. Turned out that it was fucking fantastic. Absolutely great, I would put that beer up against any other beer in it's category. It's better than the battery acid that they sell down at the local brew pub.

So far I've drank 3 batches of my stuff. One in bottles that was ok - batch #2. Not sure what I did wrong but it watn't that bad. Carbonation was inconsistent - because I didn't swirl the priming sugar in the carboy before bottling. That's a mistake that I realized off the bat but the beer part was ok. 3rd was maybe #3. It was good also. Not great, but good. I don't know what caused this difference - probably because I let #1 age in the keg longer.

I'm going to go tap that porter now. Hopefully in my drunken state I don't injure myself.

wow, impressive

:D be safe with the tapping...if we don't hear back from ya we'll assume you passed out

Captain Obvious
07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Drew off a glass.

Not sure I like this beer. For a porter, it's watery. Not much body. Has an off watery coffee taste. Not what I was shooting for. It looks muddy in the glass. This might be a failed project but I'll probably drink it out, it's not undrinkable. Disappointed so far.

Tapping problems also, the keg was missing a gas o-ring. I have some but they don't fit, I'll have to go down to the hardware store and see if I can dig a couple up. Tapped it from inert pressure and tried to replace it but that was messy. It was pressured, when I connected the liquid dispenser, it started leaking at the faucet which means that it was under high pressure, but that quickly dies down when you draw a sample.

I'll have to put another one of my pale ale projects in the fridge also. This one might be a slow drink.

Conley
07-02-2011, 11:01 PM
Ah, that's a bummer. Just drink it when you're pissed enough so you can hardly tell the difference. I like the occasional porter but am much more of an Pale Ale guy. These are probably my favorite, way better than a Sierra Nevada imho:

http://www.stonebrew.com/tasting/ipa/ipa.jpg

Mister D
07-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Drew off a glass.

Not sure I like this beer. For a porter, it's watery. Not much body. Has an off watery coffee taste. Not what I was shooting for. It looks muddy in the glass. This might be a failed project but I'll probably drink it out, it's not undrinkable. Disappointed so far.

Tapping problems also, the keg was missing a gas o-ring. I have some but they don't fit, I'll have to go down to the hardware store and see if I can dig a couple up. Tapped it from inert pressure and tried to replace it but that was messy. It was pressured, when I connected the liquid dispenser, it started leaking at the faucet which means that it was under high pressure, but that quickly dies down when you draw a sample.

I'll have to put another one of my pale ale projects in the fridge also. This one might be a slow drink.

Porter style brew tastes like coffee to me. I drink tea...harumph

Conley
07-03-2011, 11:13 AM
That's true...I like coffee and a good porter reminds me of that flavor.

There's nothing worse than watered down coffee or beer.

MMC
07-03-2011, 11:39 AM
perk.....did someone say coffee. :P

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Fuck it - it's dumped. I drew off a couple more samples today and it tastes like crap. Pissed off.

So I'm smelling all my beers now, I've been reusing the same strain of yeast and I'm wondering now if it's corrupted. That stout smells funny, I fear that it's a fail also. I brewed a brown with the same strain and it smells beery, ok.

I guess I have to put an end to reusing yeast for now. I'll use new yeast for each batch until I get better at this shit.

Fuck me.

Conley
07-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Well that's a bummer...sounds like a valid reason to go get a good buzz.

Tonight I will drink in honor of your failed beers! ;D

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 04:42 PM
How comforting.

:killme:

:grin20: :grin20: :grin20: