PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cake

Common
04-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Whats youre favorite cake?
My wife loves Red Velvet cake and cheesecake which I dont consider cake. My favorite is Italian Rum cake and German Chocolate.

Captain Obvious
04-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Not a big cake eater, occasionally if there's coffee and I'm in the mood to drink it late in the day.

I'd say cheesecake though. Not that pussy cheesecake with strawberries, whipped cream, mocha walnut caramel swirl shit, fuck that. Plain old good cheesecake.

Common
04-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Hah same as my wife plain cheesecake, must be a pittsburgh thing. My wife asked me to ask you what part of pittsburgh youre from. Shes from swissvale originally.

Dr. Who
04-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Not a big cake eater, occasionally if there's coffee and I'm in the mood to drink it late in the day.

I'd say cheesecake though. Not that pussy cheesecake with strawberries, whipped cream, mocha walnut caramel swirl shit, fuck that. Plain old good cheesecake.
My mother makes a very different kind of cheesecake. It has a shortbread crust on the bottom and sides and is criss-crossed with the same pastry on top. The cheese filling is not cream cheese, but something more like ricotta drained of all the liquid and mixed with egg, orange peel, vanilla and sugar. I guess it is more of a tort. It is not nearly as dense as regular cheesecake, but really quite delicious.

Captain Obvious
04-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Hah same as my wife plain cheesecake, must be a pittsburgh thing. My wife asked me to ask you what part of pittsburgh youre from. Shes from swissvale originally.

Sahside

Common
04-02-2013, 10:09 PM
My mother makes a very different kind of cheesecake. It has a shortbread crust on the bottom and sides and is criss-crossed with the same pastry on top. The cheese filling is not cream cheese, but something more like ricotta drained of all the liquid and mixed with egg, orange peel, vanilla and sugar. I guess it is more of a tort. It is not nearly as dense as regular cheesecake, but really quite delicious.

Thats exactly what that is Italian Ricotta Pie and its DELICIOUS and I love it and I forgot about it, its been so long since ive had it. Havent had it since my mother passed. Thats just great stuff

Common
04-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Sahside

I told her she talks wierd she said tell him downtown but she says it so much different than NY and Jersey does. I said how am I supposed to type that, she said you will know what she means

Mister D
04-02-2013, 10:15 PM
Yellow cake, of course. :wink:

Captain Obvious
04-02-2013, 10:16 PM
I told her she talks wierd she said tell him downtown but she says it so much different than NY and Jersey does. I said how am I supposed to type that, she said you will know what she means

Dahntahn...

... an'at

Chloe
04-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Carrot cake and angel food cake

Captain Obvious
04-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Yellow cake, of course. :wink:

You and lil Kim have something in common.

:grin:

Common
04-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Dahntahn...

... an'at

hah thats it, around when I first met her we were at the beach and she was putting up her hair and she said I need a gumband. I said a what she said a gumband, I said what the hell is that and she told me I said thats a rubberband.

oceanloverOH
04-02-2013, 10:55 PM
My body is SCREAMING for sugar tonight, and I'm forcing myself to eat celery for a bedtime snack, and you guys are talking about CAKE. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I love Devil's Food cake with hot fudge and vanilla ice cream....hubby baked me one from scratch every year for my birthday (that is, until I got friggin' diabetes). I used to make one or the other of these two special cakes for holidays (c'mon, y'all KNEW I would post a recipe, right?)

Chocolate Turtle Cake

1 box German Chocolate cake mix
1 can condensed milk
1 jar caramel sauce (the kind you get for ice cream; I use Smucker's)
1 large container Cool Whip, thawed
1 drinking straw
1 bag Heath candy bits (I buy these in the baking aisle; if you can't find them, smoosh up 3 Heath candy bars into small bits)

Bake the cake as directed on the box in 13X9X2 glass or metal pan. Let cool 1 hour. With straw, poke holes in the top of the cake at 1-inch intervals. Pour condensed milk slowly over entire top of cake, making sure to fill each hole once. Allow 20 minutes for milk to absorb into cake. Remove about 2 Tablespoons of caramel sauce from jar and set aside. Pour rest of caramel sauce slowly over entire top of cake, again making sure to fill each hole once. Then cover entire top of cake with Cool Whip. Drizzle remaining caramel sauce over the Cool Whip, then sprinkle the candy bits evenly over the cake. Cover cake and refrigerate at least two hours before serving. Promptly refrigerate leftovers. Serves 8.

Chocolate Éclair Cake

1 package plain graham crackers
2 small packages instant French vanilla pudding mix
3 cups milk
12 oz container thawed Cool Whip
2 squares Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate
4 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp light Karo syrup
3 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups powdered (confectioner’s) sugar

Line 13X9X2 glass dish closely with graham crackers. Mix pudding and milk in large bowl, fold in Cool Whip. Spread half on top of graham cracker layer. Make another layer of graham crackers on top of Cool Whip mixture, then spread rest of Cool Whip mixture on top of that. Top with 3rd layer of graham crackers. Melt chocolate and butter in medium saucepan over low heat, mixing well, then remove from heat. Add all the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and pour over 3rd layer of graham crackers. Let cool, then cover and refrigerate at least 10 hours, preferably overnight. Serve with large serving spoon.

Common
04-03-2013, 01:05 AM
The chocolate eclair cake is close to a concoction my mother made that we loved called icebox cake.
layer of graham crackers sliced bananas then chocolate pudding another layer of grahms then vanilla pudding. Then grahams banana and choco again then whipped cream.

Alif Qadr
04-03-2013, 04:42 AM
I like homemade chocolate cheesecake with grahamcracker crust

Alif Qadr
04-03-2013, 04:48 AM

cheesecake made with Neufchatel cheese is what I made cheesecake with, when I used to make it.

oceanloverOH
04-03-2013, 08:04 AM
The chocolate eclair cake is close to a concoction my mother made that we loved called icebox cake.
layer of graham crackers sliced bananas then chocolate pudding another layer of grahms then vanilla pudding. Then grahams banana and choco again then whipped cream.

Oooo, I never thought about layering in some banana slices....that sounds REALLY good....may have to try it the next time I make it for a crowd during the holidays! Thanks, Common!

Cigar
04-03-2013, 08:19 AM
A simple Glazed Pound Cake is fine with me ... :tongue:

Common
04-03-2013, 01:16 PM
Years ago a commercial bakery in NJ and NY named Pecters put out great kaiser rolls and they sold pound cakes and marble cakes only to commercial customers, restaurants diners etc. If you knew a pecters driver they would sell you a cake they were FANTASTIC, alas they dont make them anymore and their breads sucks so Im told.

oceanloverOH
04-03-2013, 01:24 PM
I remember as a kid, there were two kinds of trucks that would drive around the neighborhood and stop to sell goodies to the kids or other items to the Moms....the ice cream truck (that we called "the Good Humor Man") and the bakery truck. The bakery truck had the BEST cream puffs, flaky and filled with thick vanilla custard....those things were as big as my head.

Common
04-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Man did I eat alot of good humors when I was a kid. Back when I was a kid if there was a few us playing outside a milkman would stop and call us over and give us a quart or two of ice cold orange juice or chocolate milk they had leftover.
We had horse and wagons delivering produce and us kids would wait outside and the women would yell down their orders and the cartman would fill them and we would run them up the stairs sometimes 6 flights for a couple of pennies and sometimes WOW a nickle.
We had a guy with a cart like a big hotdog cart and he used to push and yell Ya Volda tata man and he sold HUGE baked sweet patatos and regular for a nickle and then a dime then a quarter.
We used to get 3 italian style hotdogs for a buck, 3 NY city pretzels for a buck. Go to Sat matinee movies for a quarter if you had it.Man times have changed.

oceanloverOH
04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Man did I eat alot of good humors when I was a kid. Back when I was a kid if there was a few us playing outside a milkman would stop and call us over and give us a quart or two of ice cold orange juice or chocolate milk they had leftover.
We had horse and wagons delivering produce and us kids would wait outside and the women would yell down their orders and the cartman would fill them and we would run them up the stairs sometimes 6 flights for a couple of pennies and sometimes WOW a nickle.
We had a guy with a cart like a big hotdog cart and he used to push and yell Ya Volda tata man and he sold HUGE baked sweet patatos and regular for a nickle and then a dime then a quarter.
We used to get 3 italian style hotdogs for a buck, 3 NY city pretzels for a buck. Go to Sat matinee movies for a quarter if you had it.Man times have changed.

Yeah, what a different world. Now anybody hawking wares on the street would be mugged, robbed, his stock and cart destroyed....all by kids and all for a laugh. Call me cynical, but that's the world we live in now. I miss the old days. On the other hand, no computers in the old days!

Common
04-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Ok I admit it I was bored, so I had a red velvet box cake in the cupboard and I decided to make it. My wifes said Ill do it, I said Ill do it im rammy as all hell and the walls are closing in. We had bought this new frozen icing made by Coolwhip, its in the freezer section so we decided to try the cream cheese icing on the red velvet. Its on a rack cooling as I type this.
On a humorous note my wife was standing in the door of the kitchen and said I should take a vid of this and put it on Youtube Big Bird Baking a Cake, grrrrrrrrrrr, I said you have no conscious. She said this huge big huggy bear baking a cake like a big kitchen sissy then she takes off laughing. SEE, there is justifiable reasons to beat your wife :)

oceanloverOH
04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Ok I admit it I was bored, so I had a red velvet box cake in the cupboard and I decided to make it. My wifes said Ill do it, I said Ill do it im rammy as all hell and the walls are closing in. We had bought this new frozen icing made by Coolwhip, its in the freezer section so we decided to try the cream cheese icing on the red velvet. Its on a rack cooling as I type this.
On a humorous note my wife was standing in the door of the kitchen and said I should take a vid of this and put it on Youtube Big Bird Baking a Cake, grrrrrrrrrrr, I said you have no conscious. She said this huge big huggy bear baking a cake like a big kitchen sissy then she takes off laughing. SEE, there is justifiable reasons to beat your wife :)

LOL, your wife sounds like a woman I could be close friends with, great sense of humor!

Have you tried the Cool Whip frosting before? I bought a tub of Cool Whip cinnamon frosting right before I was diagnosed with diabetes; was going to make an apple spice cake and try it out. The damn thing is still in the freezer; I should throw it out I guess....

Common
04-03-2013, 03:19 PM
After I did it I thought I shouldnt have liked your post because of your being diagnosed with diabetes, Im sorry to hear that Ocean. My wife has the opposite and has had it for many years Hypoglycemia, low blood sugar she actually has to carry candy if her sugar gets to low she gets the shakes, next she will lose her equillibrium then eventually pass out and possible coma. She rarely even gets the shakes she knows by now when she has to eat something. Good luck

oceanloverOH
04-03-2013, 03:59 PM
After I did it I thought I shouldnt have liked your post because of your being diagnosed with diabetes, Im sorry to hear that Ocean. My wife has the opposite and has had it for many years Hypoglycemia, low blood sugar she actually has to carry candy if her sugar gets to low she gets the shakes, next she will lose her equillibrium then eventually pass out and possible coma. She rarely even gets the shakes she knows by now when she has to eat something. Good luck

It's OK, sweetie, I knew you were thanking me for the frosting part! Yep, diagnosed Type 2 a little less than 3 years ago....and already on an insulin pump. But hyperglycemia is easier to deal with, and far less dangerous, than hypoglycemia. She may already know, but tell your wife that glucose tablets are available at the local pharmacy; they are in a tube that's easy to tuck in your purse, and are much more predictable for raising blood sugar quickly than candy is....candy could take her too high too fast. Sometimes with insulin I can go too low, so I keep them with me at all times (plus they taste pretty good too, almost like sweet tarts but not sour). If I may suggest, she may want to get a medical keychain tag that says she's hypoglycemic....if she's ever out by herself and her blood sugar crashes, it can appear to other people that she's drunk....a keychain tag is unobtrusive but will alert medical personnel as to what's really going on so she can get the right care quickly. Here's some that you can have engraved with whatever you want. Might be a good gift for Christmas in her stocking....

http://www.amazon.com/Engraved-Personalized-Medical-Necklaces-Keychain/dp/B006ELEG7W/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1SRAKRDCPOSBO&coliid=IBBPB2ULFI6F7

Hypoglycemia scares me; hyperglycemia is just a pain in the ass.