PDA

View Full Version : Shocking Facts about Thomas Jefferson

doublejm1
04-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Hey guys. First time poster and history geek here.

I was asked to write an essay on any president for my college American History class. I chose one of my favorite presidents -- Thomas Jefferson -- and centered it on the various contradictions that continue to mar his legacy to this day: http://socyberty.com/history/six-shocking-facts-about-thomas-jefferson/

I wanted to see what you guys think. Were you already aware of these facts before reading the article? Do you think anything should be changed/added? Do you find these to be truly shocking facts about Thomas Jefferson?

I still have a couple of days before this is due.

Thanks.

Captain Obvious
04-02-2013, 10:52 PM
Brace yourself.

:grin:

Private Pickle
04-02-2013, 11:00 PM
Thomas Jefferson was on match.com??? That is shocking....

Conley
04-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Thomas Jefferson made $2377.16 blogging from home last month!

Click this link and I'll show you how...

Private Pickle
04-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Thomas Jefferson collected Coin Bears and Lawn Gnomes.

Private Pickle
04-02-2013, 11:19 PM
During the Revolutionary War Thomas Jefferson threw a grenade and it killed 50 people...then it exploded...

Private Pickle
04-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Once when Thomas Jefferson was sailing around the world he found a short cut...

Private Pickle
04-02-2013, 11:24 PM
Once Thomas Jefferson ran a marathon backwards to see what second place looked like...

Private Pickle
04-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Did you know Thomas Jefferson counted to infinity? Twice!

bladimz
04-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Shocking Fact: Thomas Jefferson consistently ate 800 lbs. of mac & cheese and 350 gallons of catsup a year, every year for 40 years.

Alif Qadr
04-03-2013, 04:38 AM

I was asked to write an essay on any president for my college American History class. I chose one of my favorite presidents -- Thomas Jefferson -- and centered it on the various contradictions that continue to mar his legacy to this day: http://socyberty.com/history/six-shocking-facts-about-thomas-jefferson/

I wanted to see what you guys think. Were you already aware of these facts before reading the article? Do you think anything should be changed/added? Do you find these to be truly shocking facts about Thomas Jefferson?

Thanks.

The article about Thomas Jefferson, that you posted, shows that regardless of romanticized versions of national icons, they are often fallible and have many contradictions about themselves, which is why it is always good for people to make up their own minds and assess such people according to the standards and principles that said people or person holds near and dear to themselves.
With that stated, my assessment of Thomas Jefferson is that he was a hypocrite in many cases and instances, such as his refusal to aid the Haitians in their quest for freedom, then again I understand that the positions taken by him and others, even to this day have to do with maintaining the overall power equation that sets the eminent power flow from Europa as the standard bearer for all. This of course has to do with the defensive posture that Europeans have taken throughout their sojourn in history to protect what many Europeans see as their vulnerabilities. I will leave my statement truncated, so as to not go into details of on I base and rest my assessment. Yes my words are bound to cause consternation as well as objection but it is what it is.

Ivan88
04-03-2013, 12:29 PM
Went to doublejm1's history site which said very little about Jefferson. Mostly is is about advertising revenue.

Private Pickle
04-03-2013, 12:38 PM
Holding individuals that lived 250 years ago to today's standards of morality is disengenious and to use that to minimize their impact on history is simply moronic.

Did you know that Thomas Jefferson was once bitten by a rattlesnake? After 6 days of excruciating pain the snake finally died...

Greenridgeman
04-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Brace yourself.

:grin:

Speaking of bracing one's self, did you know Thomas Jefferson was hung like a mule, and was affectionately refered to a "Tripod" by his closest friends.

Private Pickle
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Did you know Thomas Jefferson never waited 15 minutes after finishing a meal to return to the pool?

Greenridgeman
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Did you know Thomas Jefferson never waited 15 minutes after finishing a meal to return to the pool?

Why, he wasn't known as a daring radical revolutionary for nothing, was he?

Conley
04-03-2013, 02:37 PM
Went to doublejm1's history site which said very little about Jefferson. Mostly is is about advertising revenue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY6wwAhvirY

jillian
04-03-2013, 02:46 PM
thomas jefferson beat chuck norris in a battle

Private Pickle
04-03-2013, 02:48 PM
thomas jefferson beat chuck norris in a battle

Now that's just crazy talk...

Conley
04-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Thomas Jefferson weighs 170 but benches 420. Trainers hate him!

http://oi40.tinypic.com/2ise8hw.jpg

Conley
04-03-2013, 02:52 PM
Thomas Jefferson got a $510,000 mortgage for under $1,698 a month! :shocked:

http://www.sofamoolah.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/04.gif

Common
04-03-2013, 02:58 PM
I didnt know any of those things about Jefferson to be honest. I do admit to being a bit disappointed I was thinking on the lines of his being caught performing pedophillia or smoking opium with sherlock holmes.
In the end though, I doubt Jefferson gives a hoot what anyone today thinks about him.

Captain Obvious
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
I didn't click on this link yesterday but I did just now - it looked like a legit blog site.

I didn't see any of that spam stuff there.

Tad Scratchy
04-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Kujan: Do you believe in him, Verbal?
Verbal: Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well, I believe in God...and the only thing that scares me ... is Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Who
04-03-2013, 07:29 PM

Thanks.
I think you want to be a journalist, at least that's the impression I get from your piece. It's well written if a journalistic political theme piece was your intent. Without knowing what specific instructions you were given, it's hard to say whether it is a good essay. Essays are usually a little heavier on content, whereas you have concentrated on his hypocrisy, but haven't really provided much in the way of the meat and potatoes of his contributions to history. Oh in answer to your question, no, not much shock value by today's standards. I think most people may be aware of many of Jefferson's proclivities, although perhaps it may be news to your classmates.

Conley
04-04-2013, 09:17 PM
I didn't click on this link yesterday but I did just now - it looked like a legit blog site.

I didn't see any of that spam stuff there.

youve got that adblock tho right? try it without...

Captain Obvious
04-04-2013, 09:20 PM
youve got that adblock tho right? try it without...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5-YXGiDrJtqRC4MXkQNZAapcOxT7uuE_7V72kY1weJq2G12nkuQ