PDA

View Full Version : Import Teachers Who Can’t Speak English—Alienate Reagan Democrats

Mister D
11-21-2011, 11:40 AM
And the deterioration continues... ::)

----

Last week, the Washington Post ran an amusing story on a new public school teacher in suburban Maryland's Prince George's County who can't speak English very well.

Sixth-grade teacher David Colon, who was recently recruited from Puerto Rico, admitted:

“'My mother, her English: excellent. My father, excellent,' Colon said. 'Pero me, eh, regular.'

"A friend helped him translate this point: 'I try to tell the kids that my English is limited, so I hope you don’t judge me. In this class, we don’t judge each other—we help each other.’'"

[With Hispanic students on the rise, Hispanic teachers in short supply, by Robert Samuels, November 15, 2011]

It's important to note that Señor Colon's struggles with English aren't a mistake—they're a triumph of government policy.

http://www.vdare.com/articles/import-teachers-who-can-t-speak-english-alienate-reagan-democrats

Conley
11-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Yikes. It's not just at the elementary school level either. Some college kids are angry these days because their T.A.s and professors are foreigners (mostly Chinese and Indian) who don't speak well at all. With tuition being what it is I think they have a point. It's mocked in this article but I think it's a real problem

http://www.usatodayeducate.com/staging/index.php/blog/your-professor-doesnt-speak-english-get-over-it

Mister D
11-21-2011, 12:21 PM
I agree. It can be very frustrating when you can't understand someone. Moreover, it's not like this is common around the world. The writer pretends that it is. Yeah, maybe in an English class.

Conley
11-21-2011, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I shouldn't have even linked that article. It was the first I came across and that author is a real ass. Some of the comments gave it back to her. People don't pay thousands a semester just to read a textbook.

"In some countries, such as Britain and America, poor pay and job prospects are reflected in the number of foreign-born PhD students. Dr Freeman estimates that in 1966 only 23% of science and engineering PhDs in America were awarded to students born outside the country. By 2006 that proportion had increased to 48%. Foreign students tend to tolerate poorer working conditions, and the supply of cheap, brilliant, foreign labour also keeps wages down."

http://www.economist.com/node/17723223

“The first thing I noticed was that nobody looked like me,” said Dr. Goodman, who is white. “At least half, if not two-thirds, were international students. They were from India, Asia, the Middle East, North Africa, and yet they were Harvard students, Stanford students, Rice students. It just reminded me that American higher education is not American. It’s for the whole world.”

Then 22 and only a semester shy of graduation, he contacted the American colleges that had accepted him to graduate school. He asked if they would take him instead as a transfer student — immediately. Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute said yes, and within weeks, he was en route to Troy, N.Y., from Tehran.

“I was in a state of shock,” Dr. Farvardin, 54, recalled. “I had very little money and no knowledge of the English language.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/education/10presidents.html

About 40% of foreign Ph.D.s in science and engineering seek jobs in the United States and about 40% of American university science and engineering faculty members under age 35 are now foreign nationals, according to the National Academy of Sciences.

(and that was 20 years ago)

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-01-29/news/mn-1818_1_foreign-students

Mister D
11-21-2011, 12:39 PM
“I was in a state of shock,” Dr. Farvardin, 54, recalled. “I had very little money and no knowledge of the English language.”

::)

Scary stuff.

Peter1469
11-21-2011, 01:12 PM
We had that problem with math and science TAs when I was in college- 1991-95.

jgreer
11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
You don't need to be good at english to teach math and science so i don't think its a big deal

Mister D
11-21-2011, 01:22 PM
You don't need to be good at english to teach math and science so i don't think its a big deal

::) Greer, you need to be able to communicate effectively regardless of the subject. Good grief...

MMC
11-21-2011, 02:25 PM
Lmao mostly PHd's then you start checking the MDs.....and whos is prescribing medications around this country. Wonder what impact that has. Clearly communication would be significant. Many seniors I hear complain about not being able to understand a doctors english. Even worse if one is trying to talk to them over the phone too. Which would also affect their abilities in the medical professions in dealing with others who are aslo in the same field.

Same thing when describing tech.

Mister D
11-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Lmao mostly PHd's then you start checking the MDs.....and whos is prescribing medications around this country. Wonder what impact that has. Clearly communication would be significant. Many seniors I hear complain about not being able to understand a doctors english. Even worse if one is trying to talk to them over the phone too. Which would also affect their abilities in the medical professions in dealing with others who are aslo in the same field.

Same thing when describing tech.

I don;t know if it's a problem here yet but it has been an issue in the UK. Natives simply don't think it's worthwhile going into medicine anymore so many of the doctors and Indians and Pakis.

Conley
11-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh it's definitely a problem here. Family practice doesn't pay much (compared to med school bills) so foreigners have filled that void.

Mister D
11-21-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh it's definitely a problem here. Family practice doesn't pay much (compared to med school bills) so foreigners have filled that void.

Ah, I see. I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense.

MMC
11-21-2011, 11:45 PM

Ah, I see. I didn't know that but it makes perfect sense.

Plus most of the ones you was talking bout D.....end up in the Carribean and picking up a Doctorate in 2 years. Then allowed to come into the US with their own Practice. Where our peeps have to go 12 yrs of school. Plus med School.