PDA

View Full Version : An Interesting Question- Beyonce

killianr1
04-08-2013, 12:22 PM
http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2012/07/us-tourist-ordered-to-pay-6500-fine-for-illegal-cuba-trip/812249/1 Now that Beyoncé and Jay-Z have made what appears to be an illegal trip to Cuba, I wonder if the President will protect them from the law. After all they are some of his biggest supporters.

roadmaster
04-08-2013, 01:02 PM
I was under the understanding that many Cuban baseball players have been able recently to visit their families. In the past they were not. Seems like they have been working on some of their outdated rules but it is still dangerous.

killianr1
04-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I believe the law states if the trip is for tourism only, it is illegal. I know the link refers to July 2012, however it has not changed since. Cubans in Miami still seem to be very opposed to any change at this time.

Cigar
04-08-2013, 01:17 PM
That ain't shit ... you should see all the Cuban Cigars I have directly for the source.

I have a buddy who is in sales for Sony International; he has stops in Brazil then Cuba at least 5 times a year.

jillian
04-08-2013, 01:19 PM
http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2012/07/us-tourist-ordered-to-pay-6500-fine-for-illegal-cuba-trip/812249/1 Now that Beyoncé and Jay-Z have made what appears to be an illegal trip to Cuba, I wonder if the President will protect them from the law. After all they are some of his biggest supporters.

it's not illegal to go to cuba.

there is a TREASURY regulation prohibing the spending of US Dollars there.

I'm pretty sure they're ok.

good that fox told you to get all cranky, though.

Cigar
04-08-2013, 01:21 PM

But it makes for a really good tingling sensation to associate them with Obama. :laugh:

jillian
04-08-2013, 01:22 PM
But it makes for a really good tingling sensation to associate them with Obama. :laugh:

it seems to be the fox news fauxrage of the day.

Cigar
04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
it seems to be the fox news fauxrage of the day.

It figures ... I'm sure Rush isn't far behind ... only because he's a little slower these days :)

http://s6.postimg.org/h4hx8l569/hissyfit_committee_1.jpg

roadmaster
04-08-2013, 01:34 PM
I believe the law states if the trip is for tourism only, it is illegal. I know the link refers to July 2012, however it has not changed since. Cubans in Miami still seem to be very opposed to any change at this time.
Maybe in the books. A group that can't do dangerous stunts in the US because it's illegal here on motorcycles, or jumping off of buildings ect. Cuba lets them come there to practice and record their stunts. I have a friend that goes once a year and it's not business related. I think this story is being hyped up but they don't want to encourage tourism.

Chloe
04-08-2013, 01:36 PM
I personally think that if you want to go on vacation to Cuba you should be able to without judgment. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal though.

jillian
04-08-2013, 01:45 PM

The longstanding ban on Cuba travel has been amended to allow all Americans to take part in tours to Cuba that encourage “people to people” contact. Previously, only religious, educational, and cultural groups (http://cubapeopletopeople.blogspot.com/2011/05/updated-flyer-on-legal-travel-options.html) could legally travel to Cuba, and then only with specific permission from the U.S. State Department.
The bad news is that Americans still can't simply book a flight and a hotel and head to Cuba. You'll need to travel with a Cuba travel organization that has an official license from the U.S. State Department, like Insight Cuba (http://insightcuba.com/), which recently became the first company authorized to run Cuba tours under the new policy.
And, while your tour may include stops at museums, historic sites, or even the Bay of Pigs or a local Communist Party block meeting, purely recreational activities -- like visiting the beach or scuba diving -- are prohibited from tour itineraries, which are limited to experiences that brings American and Cuban people together. Schedules are typically packed with activities in order to comply with the State Department’s mandate and federal law, so it remains to be seen whether in practice travelers are able to slip away in their limited free time to take a dip in the Caribbean or sample the local mojitos (http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/tropicaldrinkguide/tp/Great-Caribbean-Cocktail-Recipe.htm).

http://gocaribbean.about.com/od/cuba/a/How-To-Travel-To-Cuba-If-You-Are-An-American.htm

killianr1
04-08-2013, 01:49 PM

good that fox told you to get all cranky, though. Well, I actually have not watched Fox news today. I first saw the story on GMA (ABC). But on the way to work I was listening to Miami talk radio and I heard Miami Cuban descendants who had a big problem with Beyoncé and Jay -Z. (for spending money there.)

jillian
04-08-2013, 01:53 PM
. Well, I actually have not watched Fox news today. I first saw the story on GMA (ABC). But on the way to work I was listening to Miami talk radio and I heard Miami Cuban descendants who had a big problem with Beyoncé and Jay -Z. (for spending money there.)

should i really care what a small group of people in miami think about us going to Cuba.

we go to vietnam without any problem. and 50,000 of our troops died there.

but we shouldn't go to cuba because a bunch of politicians want to keep the cuban vote in florida?

all other issues aside, don't you think that's silly?

Adelaide
04-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Meh - it's just Cuba. Number one destination for university students here because it's so cheap.

Ravi
04-08-2013, 02:03 PM
You do need to go on some sort of cultural exchange. The local Republicans down here are having a hissy fit and investigating. If they have their way Beyonce will be in the slammer no doubt.

Damn, you can go on vacation in North Korea, this stupid Cuban embargo should be shit canned. Those poor saps down there continue to live under a dictatorship with the complicity of the USA.

killianr1
04-08-2013, 02:32 PM
should i really care what a small group of people in miami think about us going to Cuba.

we go to vietnam without any problem. and 50,000 of our troops died there.

but we shouldn't go to cuba because a bunch of politicians want to keep the cuban vote in florida?

all other issues aside, don't you think that's silly? To me it is not a big issue, but to the people who came here from Cuba after the revolution, it is a big thing. Basically they had all their property stolen from them by the government. That is why they were upset and apparently still are. If you go back to the original post, my question was, is Obama going to protect Beyonce and Jay-Z from prosecution by the Treasury Department. And one more thing, why do you speak of Fox news with distain and cast dispersions about any thing they do or say?

Ravi
04-08-2013, 02:36 PM
There won't be any prosecution. If they didn't get the proper permit they'll have to pay a fine just like anyone else.

simpsonofpg
04-08-2013, 02:38 PM
it is not against the law but it was just a photo op. Rodman is another matter. I really don't care what Beyonce does, she can do what ever the heck see wants and I still do give a S&*^. Why should anyone else..

Ravi
04-08-2013, 02:41 PM
You have to laugh at the nanny-state-loving-big-government Republicans, though.

killianr1
04-08-2013, 02:47 PM
I see the Democrats being more lovers of the nanny state lovers. Just look at their programs. Obama's biggest achievement is the unaffordable health care act.. How big government can you get?

jillian
04-08-2013, 03:51 PM
To me it is not a big issue, but to the people who came here from Cuba after the revolution, it is a big thing. Basically they had all their property stolen from them by the government. That is why they were upset and apparently still are. If you go back to the original post, my question was, is Obama going to protect Beyonce and Jay-Z from prosecution by the Treasury Department. And one more thing, why do you speak of Fox news with distain and cast dispersions about any thing they do or say?

we have relations with the soviet union...

we have relations with china...

we have relations with vietnam...

we have relations with cambodia and i could fly to angor wat tomorrow if i wanted to...

why should cuba be singled out for special treatment other than the fact that florida is a swing state and people are afraid to make cubans there upset?

i'd put money on cuba being open by 2016

roadmaster
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
is Obama going to protect Beyonce and Jay-Z from prosecution by the Treasury Department. If he does then people should protest if it's illegal here.

roadmaster
04-08-2013, 04:14 PM
we have relations with the soviet union...

we have relations with china...

we have relations with vietnam...

we have relations with cambodia and i could fly to angor wat tomorrow if i wanted to...

why should cuba be singled out for special treatment other than the fact that florida is a swing state and people are afraid to make cubans there upset?

i'd put money on cuba being open by 2016

You can fly anywhere but don't expect the US to help you if something goes wrong.

Greenridgeman
04-08-2013, 04:15 PM

It is time to end the Cuba bs.

I'd like to go down there and fish in the surf, and not even think about politics.

The whole Cuba crap only benefits a handful of super-wealthy Gulf coast sugar planters.

simpsonofpg
04-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Why would you want to go to Cuba anyway except that they said you can't do it. How do you go somewhere and not spend any money. Castro has ruined the country and recovery may not be in our life time. However is you are skilled at repaired 50's model cars I hear that are looking for talent.

Greenridgeman
04-08-2013, 04:35 PM
I personally think that if you want to go on vacation to Cuba you should be able to without judgment. I'm not sure why it's such a big deal though.

The whole Cuba policy is a Cold War relict that makes no sense; except that idiocy toward Cuba is so ingrained that people are afraid of what might happen if things change..

American mafia was running Cuba, getting rich on whores, booze and gambling, so the Cubans are as suspicious of letting us back in as we are of normalizing relations.

Greenridgeman
04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Why would you want to go to Cuba anyway except that they said you can't do it. How do you go somewhere and not spend any money. Castro has ruined the country and recovery may not be in our life time. However is you are skilled at repaired 50's model cars I hear that are looking for talent.

I just want a simple cabin, and a shot at those bays and creeks full of yard long specs(spotted sea-trout)that have never seen an artificial lure.

jillian
04-08-2013, 09:36 PM
You can fly anywhere but don't expect the US to help you if something goes wrong.

that seems an odd response to what i wrote.

i'm talking about rational foreign policy.

there is no state department prohibition against going to cuba.

roadmaster
04-08-2013, 09:56 PM
that seems an odd response to what i wrote.

i'm talking about rational foreign policy.

there is no state department prohibition against going to cuba.

No but there is an oblation to obtain the required U.S. Treasury license. Many people have been fined or jailed for not doing this. If they didn't get this license they will pay.

Mister D
04-08-2013, 09:58 PM
The whole Cuba policy is a Cold War relict that makes no sense; except that idiocy toward Cuba is so ingrained that people are afraid of what might happen if things change..

American mafia was running Cuba, getting rich on whores, booze and gambling, so the Cubans are as suspicious of letting us back in as we are of normalizing relations.

It's somewhat amusing that black Americans have a high opinion of a racist country.

Cigar
04-09-2013, 08:17 AM
I wonder if the DBAs could execute query on the words "Racist" && "Black" and do count on how many times a day/week a certain user_ID shows up?

:grin:

Mister D
04-09-2013, 08:21 AM
I wonder if the DBAs could execute query on the words "Racist" && "Black" and do count on how many times a day/week a certain user_ID shows up?

:grin:

Why don't you execute such a query and see?

:afro:

Cigar
04-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Looks to me like someone a little preoccupied, obsessed or afraid.

But either way, it’s refreshing to know you’ll always have something to do in your free time. :grin:

Mister D
04-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Looks to me like someone a little preoccupied, obsessed or afraid.

But either way, it’s refreshing to know you’ll always have something to do in your free time. :grin:

I'm not preoccupied or obsessed but, like most people regardless of color and including the illustrious Jesse Jackson, I am wary of young black males particuarly when they travel in packs.

If you want to refresh yourself just get some grape soda or some Kool Aid in your free time (which is right now, obviously) and play business owner on the Internet. You're fooling everyone!

:pointlaugh: