PDA

View Full Version : Job Openings at Highest Since 2008 Signal U.S. Rebound

Cigar
04-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Job openings climbed in February to the highest level in almost five years, signaling U.S. employers were preparing to expand before federal government budget cuts took effect last month.

The number of positions waiting to be filled rose by 314,000 to 3.93 million, the most since May 2008, from a revised 3.61 million the prior month, the Labor Department said today in Washington. The pace of hiring increased to a three-month high.

The report, which followed data last week showing payroll gains cooled in March from a one-year high, indicates the labor market was gaining momentum before across-the-board cuts in government spending went into effect on March 1. Federal Reserve policy makers are waiting for a sustained pickup in hiring and a drop in the unemployment rate before tapering record stimulus.

“It makes you wonder if the March payrolls report was an anomaly,” said Brian Jones, a senior U.S. economist at Societe Generale in New York, who projected openings would increase. “Things are getting better. Job openings will continue to improve.”

Read more: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-09/job-openings-in-u-s-rose-in-february-to-almost-five-year-high.html

Thanks a lot ... ReTugs :rollseyes:

Chris
04-09-2013, 12:30 PM
So do you think all the people falling off the unemployment rate accounts for these openings?

Cigar
04-09-2013, 12:33 PM
So do you think all the people falling off the unemployment rate accounts for these openings?

All I know is I see the Open Positions ... I can't force anyone to make the call.

Chris
04-09-2013, 12:47 PM
All I know is I see the Open Positions ... I can't force anyone to make the call.

Well, part of the problem is, if you're laid off and willing to cut spending say 20%, as a retiree generally does, then unemployment insurance and benefits incentivize early retirement. Oops.

KC
04-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Well, part of the problem is, if you're laid off and willing to cut spending say 20%, as a retiree generally does, then unemployment insurance and benefits incentivize early retirement. Oops.

Or worse, disability.

Mister D
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM

How many caddies do they need over there?

simpsonofpg
04-09-2013, 02:13 PM

You have to be willing to go out and apply for the job. When you are being paid not to work and your health care is covered then there is no incentive. Cut of the welfare and free food stamps along with health care and I think people might consider working.

Peter1469
04-09-2013, 02:42 PM
We have the lowest job participation rate since Carter.....

zelmo1234
04-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Well lets give cig the benifit of the doubt. Last month we only hired about 80,000 people, if there are that many job openings, then april numbers should be well over 300 thousand.

That would be some good news

killianr1
04-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Wow all those job opening and only 88,000 hired. Perhaps it does have something to do with the uncertainty with the economy, the debt, the effect of Obamacare, and what is going to happen with the tax rate if Obama gets his way. At least that is why my company is leaving positions open until the ship is righted. (we are not hiring under these conditions)

Ransom
04-09-2013, 04:45 PM
Cigar.....denial ain't no river in Egypt.