PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma grandmother uses u-lock to lock her neck & head to Keystone XL construction

Cigar
04-11-2013, 07:35 AM
http://gptarsandsresistance.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/dscf2129.jpg

Oklahoma Grandmother Locks Herself to Keystone XL Heavy Machinery — Halts Construction

ALLEN, OK – Tuesday, April 9, 2013, 9:00 AM – Oklahoma grandmother Nancy Zorn, 79, from Warr Acres, has locked herself to a piece of heavy machinery effectively halting construction on TransCanada’s Keystone XL toxic tar sands pipeline. This action comes in the wake of the disastrous tar sands pipeline spill in Mayflower Arkansas, where an estimated 80,000 gallons of tar sands spilled into a residential neighborhood and local waterways.

Using a bike-lock Zorn has attached her neck directly to a massive earth-mover, known as an excavator, which has brought construction of Keystone XL to a stop. Zorn is the second Oklahoma grandmother this year risking arrest to stop construction of the pipeline, and her protest is the third in a series of ongoing civil disobedience actions led by the Oklahoma-based coalition of organizations, Great Plains Tar Sands Resistance.

“Right now our neighbors in Arkansas are feeling the toxic affect of tar sands on their community. Will Oklahoma neighborhoods be next?” asked Zorn before taking action today. “I can no longer sit by idly while toxic tar sands are pumped down from Canada and into our communities. It is time to rise up and defend our home. It is my hope that this one small action today will inspire many to protect this land and our water.”

Exxon Mobil’s recent Pegasus pipeline spill has forced local residents to evacuate their homes due to life-threatening toxins released into their neighborhood. Local families have experienced episodes of nausea, headaches, and respiratory problems due to acute exposure to deadly chemicals, like benzene, that are mixed in with the raw tar sands. Pegasus was carrying up to 90,000 barrels of tar sands a day before it ruptured and spilled. The Keystone XL pipeline is slated to carry over 800,000 barrels a day; an alarming 10 times the amount of tar sands.

The rest, with pictures: http://gptarsandsresistance.org/2013/04/09/3rd-action/

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 07:55 AM
brave woman

patrickt
04-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Stupid woman desperate for attention. Kind of pitiful, isn't it? What kind of nitwit would consider her childish plea for attention as being brave? She'll get in the news, get on television, and they'll send her home.

Chloe
04-11-2013, 08:42 AM
That's pretty cool in my opinion.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 08:43 AM

It isn't very smart. She will likely get sued for whatever money she has.

Chloe
04-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Stupid woman desperate for attention. Kind of pitiful, isn't it? What kind of nitwit would consider her childish plea for attention as being brave? She'll get in the news, get on television, and they'll send her home.

It's brave because she is taking steps to make a serious point about the pipeline, peacefully, but also knowing that she could be arrested or criticized for it. It's more brave than just bowing down to these oil companies and politicians for the promise of cheap oil one day in the future in my opinion.

Chloe
04-11-2013, 08:48 AM
It isn't very smart. She will likely get sued for whatever money she has.

At 79 i'm sure her integrity is more important to her than her bank account right now in my opinion.

Mainecoons
04-11-2013, 08:54 AM
What is she calling attention to? Her ignorance?

Are you going to be like the Cree Indian and ride a horse and give up your car? Will you put your body where your beliefs are and go live in a cabin somewhere where you don't use any of the modern conveniences?

While you're at it, don't forget to hire someone to follow your horse and scoop up the s***. Because if you have studied history, you know that prior to the age of the auto, horse s*** was a huge nuisance and public health issue.

Exactly how would you transport huge quantities of oil, a lot of which is used to make the stuff you are surrounded with, like the computer you use to communicate here? Over the roads? Railroads? Do you understand the accident rates of these are far higher than the VERY occasional pipeline accident?

It is time for you to grow up and start living in the real world, not the dream one where you can have all your stuff but at zero environmental consequence and it appears magically without having to be produced or moved. You are old enough to learn how the real world works, not some airy fairy liberal land where all is a free lunch.

Get started.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
At 79 i'm sure her integrity is more important to her than her bank account right now in my opinion.

I imagine so. But I bet her legal heirs are crapping their pants- that is if she has any money at all.

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 09:04 AM

You would not understand the sense of scarafice this women is displaying.

You dont much like the members of your society

Chloe
04-11-2013, 09:13 AM

Are you going to be like the Cree Indian and ride a horse and give up your car? Will you put your body where your beliefs are and go live in a cabin somewhere where you don't use any of the modern conveniences?

While you're at it, don't forget to hire someone to follow your horse and scoop up the s***. Because if you have studied history, you know that prior to the age of the auto, horse s*** was a huge nuisance and public health issue.

Exactly how would you transport huge quantities of oil, a lot of which is used to make the stuff you are surrounded with, like the computer you use to communicate here? Over the roads? Railroads? Do you understand the accident rates of these are far higher than the VERY occasional pipeline accident?

It is time for you to grow up and start living in the real world, not the dream one where you can have all your stuff but at zero environmental consequence and it appears magically without having to be produced or moved. You are old enough to learn how the real world works, not some airy fairy liberal land where all is a free lunch.

Get started.

This kind of protest in my opinion is not talking about going backwards in time it's trying to focus on us getting past our hugely obsessive focus on oil and focusing on the future. This lady's protest is basically saying that we shouldn't be making more efforts to transport more and more gallons of oil across the country since it just further makes us more dependent on oil, a limited resource. I'm not asking for a free lunch and neither is she. I understand how the real world works with this stuff and I know you can't just stop using oil over night, but this pipeline represents more drilling, more possible spills from the drilling and the pipeline, and more dependence on oil as an energy source.

I'm not perfect but I try my best to practice what I preach. Simply giving up and ignoring your conscience at the expense of cheaper gasoline and the possible and real environmental impacts is not an option for a lot of people.

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Its not even smart

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 09:15 AM
I imagine so. But I bet her legal heirs are crapping their pants- that is if she has any money at all.

greed is good huh?

I bet they are cheering her on.

she likely raised them to put people over money

nic34
04-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Get started.

Good thing we didn't need to depend on you in 1776....

Mainecoons
04-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Good thing we don't need to depend on you at all since you obviously will never grow up. Do you have wet dreams about being a Cree Indian, clown?

:grin:

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 09:26 AM
wow nothing but personal insults.

you fail

Mainecoons
04-11-2013, 09:31 AM
This kind of protest in my opinion is not talking about going backwards in time it's trying to focus on us getting past our hugely obsessive focus on oil and focusing on the future. This lady's protest is basically saying that we shouldn't be making more efforts to transport more and more gallons of oil across the country since it just further makes us more dependent on oil, a limited resource. I'm not asking for a free lunch and neither is she. I understand how the real world works with this stuff and I know you can't just stop using oil over night, but this pipeline represents more drilling, more possible spills from the drilling and the pipeline, and more dependence on oil as an energy source.

I'm not perfect but I try my best to practice what I preach. Simply giving up and ignoring your conscience at the expense of cheaper gasoline and the possible and real environmental impacts is not an option for a lot of people.

So are you ready to practice what you preach? Give it up and go backwards? I don't think so.

This is exactly what I mean about emotion driven ignorance of grandmaw. In point of fact, pipelines are far and away the safest means of transporting oil. Look it up, the references are numerous. You don't like this source, there are dozens more, including government sites that say the same thing.

http://americanactionforum.org/sites/default/files/Pipeline_safety.jpg

Key Facts

1 Modest pipeline = 75 2,000-barrel tank cars per day
2012: 128 ‘significant’ pipeline spill incidents, resulting in 53,134 barrels spilled; 415 barrels per spill, on average.
12,000 barrels of oil and water mixture recovered from Pegasus site (not sure which portion is oil, which is water).
80 of every 1 billion gallons transported via rail spill; 38 of every 1 billion gallons transported via pipeline spill

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 09:32 AM

You do realize your conscience is shaped by your youth, inexperience and left oriented education, don't you?

Ten years will modify your zeal.

You post as if there are currently alternatives to petrochemicals.

That petro is going somewhere, by pipeline, or by ships.

It will be used, it should be used to help our economy.

Fact is, wind and solar are where the Wright Brothers were in aviation advancement.

I am sure some day we will tap wind, solar, and tidal sources of energy, but until then, it does no good to hinder the economy further with pie in the sky idealism.

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 09:33 AM
again with this denigrating of emotion?

You do realize without emotion man is only half man?

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 09:43 AM
greed is good huh?

I bet they are cheering her on.

she likely raised them to put people over money

Look, I am against Big Oil. We should shift to an alcohol economy (not corn based). But what this lady is doing is pointless, and will likely get her sued. Yes, if I were her son or grandson, I would be pissed off if she lost all of her money. Not just from an inheritance standpoint, but from an elder care standpoint.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 09:44 AM
again with this denigrating of emotion?

You do realize without emotion man is only half man?

No.

Chloe
04-11-2013, 09:51 AM
You do realize your conscience is shaped by your youth, inexperience and left oriented education, don't you?

Ten years will modify your zeal.

You post as if there are currently alternatives to petrochemicals.

That petro is going somewhere, by pipeline, or by ships.

It will be used, it should be used to help our economy.

Fact is, wind and solar are where the Wright Brothers were in aviation advancement.

I am sure some day we will tap wind, solar, and tidal sources of energy, but until then, it does no good to hinder the economy further with pie in the sky idealism.

I can only imagine what the cost of energy will be for us and for the environment by the time we depend on renewable energy sources to the extent that we currently rely on fossil fuels. Those last years on oil will be so painful for everybody due to the years upon years of apathy towards moving away from that oil in my opinion. Every new build, every new pipeline, oil rig, oil field discovery delays the sincere and motivating effort to move away from it.

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 09:54 AM
No.

are you admitting your a sociopath?

Private Pickle
04-11-2013, 09:55 AM
I can only imagine what the cost of energy will be for us and for the environment by the time we depend on renewable energy sources to the extent that we currently rely on fossil fuels. Those last years on oil will be so painful for everybody due to the years upon years of apathy towards moving away from that oil in my opinion. Every new build, every new pipeline, oil rig, oil field discovery delays the sincere and motivating effort to move away from it.

Its not apathy...it's scientific know-how.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 09:56 AM
are you admitting your a sociopath?

That term has never been attributed to me. So no.

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 09:57 AM

I wish that concern and zeal would be applied to the problem of the debt that is going to be left to you and yours.

Debt will be your problem in the future, not energy.

Your sincere and motivated effort will someday bring about solar, wind, tidal, etc, but, that is no excuse for not using what we have now, and we have lots of petrochemical resources in the GOUSA.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Its not apathy...it's scientific know-how.

18th century chemical engineering tells us how to make alcohol fuel. And once mass produced it would be half the price to today's gasoline. Of course the initial investment would cost a lot to get it started. The first Model T ran off both alcohol and gas.

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 09:58 AM
That term has never been attributed to me. So no.

You find emotion something bad.

You claim man is fine without emotion.

Man without emotion is NOT a complete human being.

How old were you when you began seeing emotion as something bad?

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 09:59 AM
I wish that concern and zeal would be applied to the problem of the debt that is going to be left to you and yours.

Debt will be your problem in the future, not energy.

Your sincere and motivated effort will someday bring about solar, wind, tidal, etc, but, that is no excuse for not using what we have now, and we have lots of petrochemical resources in the GOUSA.

has the debt gone up or down under Obama?

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 10:13 AM
You find emotion something bad.

You claim man is fine without emotion.

Man without emotion is NOT a complete human being.

How old were you when you began seeing emotion as something bad?

Are you charging for this therapy session?

Mister D
04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Good thing we didn't need to depend on you in 1776....

We? Most Injuns sided against the colonists. We got you back for that though. :grin:

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 10:17 AM

It has gone up.

What does that have to do with using oil we have now while we develop wind, solar and tidal that we do not have on a vast scale, now?

Mainecoons
04-11-2013, 10:19 AM
One also needs to understand this pipeline in the context of the FALLING oil use in the U.S. This pipeline will allow inexpensive and safe transport of U.S. oil as well as Canadian oil, reduce costs to Americans (the price of gasoline has doubled since Obama took office with very adverse impact on working people) and at some point could end the need for the U.S. to buy ANY oil from the Middle East. Among other things, not depending on that region could open the door for an end to this constant military misadventurism there.

Every barrel of oil we produce for ourselves strengthens the country financially and every barrel we buy from our friends in Canada at considerably less cost strengthens our hemisphere.

Emotionalism arising out of basic economic and technological ignorance and that causes one to support bad ideas that hurt the country is emotionalism we need to get rid of.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 10:21 AM

The debt has gone up ~$6.5T and by the end of Obama's term it will be ~$10T higher than when he took office. Basically doubling the debt caused by every other US president. All on his own. That is hope and change.

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
the debt went up more under Bush and alot of the debt during the Obama time period was a result of Bush policy

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 10:24 AM
when was the Iraq war paid for ?

Bush put it on the credit card

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Then he gave that debt to Obama to handle.

You epolle will just lie about it though.

Your lies didnt win you the election did it

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
the debt went up more under Bush and alot of the debt during the Obama time period was a result of Bush policy

Math is hard for you, isn't it?

Obama is on track to create more debt than every other president combined.

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Then he gave that debt to Obama to handle.

You epolle will just lie about it though.

Your lies didnt win you the election did it

This is not a blame Bush, exhonerate Obama thread, but feel free to start one.

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Math is hard for you, isn't it?

Obama is on track to create more debt than every other president combined.

Bush made him do it.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Bush made him do it.

No doubt. That man the left called retarded is really a genius.

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 10:48 AM

Isn't it funny how the stupidest man ever to be President fooled the brightest minds ever to grace the Congress, ie, Kerry, Clinton, John Edwards, and scores of House members too numerous to name.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 10:52 AM
Isn't it funny how the stupidest man ever to be President fooled the brightest minds ever to grace the Congress, ie, Kerry, Clinton, John Edwards, and scores of House members too numerous to name.

Well, it just shows that democrat talking points don't have to be consistent. Particularly because they own the MSM. They can say all the silly stuff they want, and the MSM will back them up.

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Well, it just shows that democrat talking points don't have to be consistent. Particularly because they own the MSM. They can say all the silly stuff they want, and the MSM will back them up.

MSM= Mika's Smirking Minions???

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 11:28 AM

The republican party cheated to win the election

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM

then why doid you party hide him away last election.

cheney too

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 11:30 AM
so the right here claims Bush LEFT No debts when he left office ?

really?

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-4872310-503544.html

National Debt Hits Record $11 Trillion

The Federal Government's flood of red ink hit another high-water mark as the Treasury Department quietly reported today that the National Debt hit $11-trillion for the first time ever.

To be exact, the Debt now stands at $11,033,157,578,669.78. Divide it by the U.S. population and it comes up to over $36,000 in debt for every man, woman and child among us.

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 11:34 AM
March 17, 2009, 4:30 PM

that is the date on that.

the First year of Obamas term the country opperated under the budget drafted in the Bush term

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
When did Bush pay off the Iraq war debt?

Private Pickle
04-11-2013, 11:36 AM

really?

Although the national debt under President Barack Obama has increased $4 trillion since he took office in 2009, as a presidential candidate in 2008 Obama criticized then-President George W. Bush for adding $4 trillion to the national debt, saying it was “unpatriotic” and also “irresponsible” to saddle future generations with such a large national debt.

“The problem is, is that the way Bush has done it over the last eight years is to take out a credit card from the Bank of China in the name of our children, driving up our national debt from $5 trillion dollars for the first 42 presidents -- number 43 added $4 trillion dollars by his lonesome, so that we now have over $9 trillion dollars of debt that we are going to have to pay back -- $30,000 for every man, woman and child,” Obama said on July 3, 2008, at a campaign event in Fargo, N.D.

“That's irresponsible. It's unpatriotic,” said candidate Obama.

http://nation.foxnews.com/president-obama/2011/08/24/flashback-obama-says-adding-4-trillion-national-debt-unpatriotic

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 11:39 AM
when did Bush pay off the Iraq war beofre he left office?

go get the proof that happened

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 11:41 AM
BTW the first year of obama the country opperated under a Bush budget.

That is the case with every president

truthmatters
04-11-2013, 11:41 AM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-4872310-503544.html

National Debt Hits Record $11 Trillion

The Federal Government's flood of red ink hit another high-water mark as the Treasury Department quietly reported today that the National Debt hit $11-trillion for the first time ever.

To be exact, the Debt now stands at $11,033,157,578,669.78. Divide it by the U.S. population and it comes up to over $36,000 in debt for every man, woman and child among us.

nic34
04-11-2013, 11:43 AM
They're going to tell you Obama did it too.....:rollseyes:

....oh, they already did....

Mainecoons
04-11-2013, 11:45 AM
When are you clowns going to figure out that Bush isn't much more popular here than the Obamanation?

Find something else to whine about.

patrickt
04-11-2013, 11:46 AM

I see a desperate plea for attention. Do you see any evidence of integrity? How about intelligence?

patrickt
04-11-2013, 11:48 AM

Not if you go four years without a budget. Truth does matter, just not for you.

Private Pickle
04-11-2013, 11:48 AM
when did Bush pay off the Iraq war beofre he left office?

go get the proof that happened

So Obama's 4 trillion went to Iraq? Is that what you're claiming?

No one here is denying that Bush added to the debt...he did...

The question is: Why are you defending Obama for doing the same exact thing Bush did only worse? That kinda makes your credibility look bad.

Private Pickle
04-11-2013, 11:57 AM
They're going to tell you Obama did it too.....:rollseyes:

....oh, they already did....

Yeah...cause he did...

Private Pickle
04-11-2013, 11:58 AM

That may have worked as an excuse for 2009...

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 12:00 PM
MSM= Mika's Smirking Minions???

Main stream media.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 12:01 PM
then why doid you party hide him away last election.

cheney too

What party? I have no party. Dems and the GOP are two sides of the same coin.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 12:03 PM
The republican party cheated to win the election

Which one?

If you are referring to 2000 you are incorrect. The NYtimes recounted the votes and confirmed that Bush won that election. Of course they didn't put that story on the front page.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 12:04 PM

really?

Really, who said that? Don't answer. Nobody said that.

Peter1469
04-11-2013, 12:05 PM

And Obama managed to turn it into over $16T and by the end of his regime it will be ~$20T.

Hope and change.

nic34
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
“Full Review Favors Gore,” the Washington Post said in a box on page 10, showing that under all standards applied to the ballots, Gore came out on top. The New York Times' graphic revealed the same outcome.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2001/111201a.html

Private Pickle
04-11-2013, 12:33 PM
“Full Review Favors Gore,” the Washington Post said in a box on page 10, showing that under all standards applied to the ballots, Gore came out on top. The New York Times' graphic revealed the same outcome.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2001/111201a.html

:cry:

Greenridgeman
04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Main stream media.

I hope you knew I knew that.

BB-35
04-11-2013, 04:04 PM
It's brave because she is taking steps to make a serious point about the pipeline, peacefully, but also knowing that she could be arrested or criticized for it. It's more brave than just bowing down to these oil companies and politicians for the promise of cheap oil one day in the future in my opinion.

NO ONE is promising 'cheap oil' anymore

BB-35
04-11-2013, 04:09 PM

that is the date on that.

the First year of Obamas term the country opperated under the budget drafted in the Bush term

Riiiiiiiiiight

Mainecoons
04-11-2013, 06:40 PM
And the budget drafted by the DEMOCRAT Congress. You forgot that one, truthshatters.

jillian
04-11-2013, 06:53 PM

unlike most people, she certainly put her money where her mouth is.

jillian
04-11-2013, 06:55 PM
And the budget drafted by the DEMOCRAT Congress. You forgot that one, truthshatters.

funny... bush said he did the budget with congress and they did what HE wanted.

including the bailout.

but why let facts get in your way?

Mainecoons
04-11-2013, 07:10 PM
You think they did what Bush wanted?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18672648

The budget proposal was immediately rebuffed by congressional Democrats, who said it is in stark contrast to the budget they will offer in the coming weeks.House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) promised that congressional Democrats will propose a budget that "takes America in a new direction" by strengthening the economy and creating jobs, helping Americans who struggle with the high costs of things such as health care, energy and groceries and restoring fiscal responsibility.

Oh, and the 2008 budget?

Democrats reacted so vehemently to the president’s proposals and predictions that it seemed as if they and the president were talking about two different documents. SenatorHarry Reid (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/harry_reid/index.html?inline=nyt-per) of Nevada, the Senate majority leader, issued a statement saying that the budget was “fiscally irresponsible and highly deceptive, hiding the costs of the war in Iraq while increasing our skyrocketing debt.”“President Bush’s fiscal policies are the worst in our nation’s history — he has turned record surpluses into record deficits — and this budget is more of the same,” Mr. Reid said.
And Senator Kent Conrad (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/kent_conrad/index.html?inline=nyt-per) of North Dakota, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, said the budget calls for “more deficit-financed war spending, more deficit-financed tax cuts tilted to the benefit the wealthiest,” The Associated Press reported.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/04/washington/04cnd-budget.html?_r=0

Note that both the sources are liberal.

Jillian, you're not dealing with ignoramuses here that can't look stuff up. Before you stick your foot in your computer, check your facts. You try to rewrite history here, you'll get called on it.

BTW, don't take this as a defense of Bush in any way, shape or form. He was a disaster and he led directly to an even bigger disaster, Barack Obama alias Barry Soetoro. The Bushes are a bunch of liberals and they bear a major share of the responsibility for the mess we're in, starting with Mr. "read my lips."

simpsonofpg
04-11-2013, 09:34 PM
This woman has more guts than most of us and integrity is a value not used my anymore. Hurray for her.

Mainecoons
04-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I'll bet she's not planning to park her car either.