PDA

View Full Version : Republican to become Sir. Republican

TheDictator
04-15-2013, 12:22 PM
Former Sen. Lugar to be knighted by the BritishBy HENRY C. JACKSON Associated Press The Associated Press
Monday, April 15, 2013 12:15 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Sen. Richard Lugar is being knighted on orders from the Queen of England, joining a select list of Americans to receive the distinction.
The Indiana Republican, who this year left the Senate after serving 36 years, will receive the rank of honorary Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire during a ceremony at the British Embassy in Washington on Tuesday. The British Ambassador, Sir Peter Westmacott, is set to preside.
Since leaving the Senate, Lugar has taken on various roles, including leading the Richard G. Lugar Institute for Diplomacy and Congress with the German Marshall Fund. He also serves as a distinguished scholar and professor at the Indiana University School of Global and International Studies.
Lugar said he is deeply honored to be knighted. "I will focus my service on solving our most serious challenges in a spirit of cooperation between our countries," he said in a statement Monday.
He said he was first inspired by Queen Elizabeth's leadership "when she received me as the young Rhodes Scholar in London, 58 years ago and asked me about Indiana."
Lugar's studies at Oxford University were his first outside of the United States. He went on to become one of the Senate's foremost foreign policy experts, focusing much of his work on nuclear proliferation issues and relations with Europe. Along with former Sen. Sam Nunn, D-Ga., Lugar crafted legislation that helped eliminate nuclear warheads in the former Soviet Union.
Lugar will not be known as "sir" Lugar — only royal subjects can carry that title. But few Americans have received honorary knighthood, including Presidents Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.
Lugar was defeated in a Republican primary in 2012, finishing his sixth term in office early this year. Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly won the race to replace him.

pjohns
04-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Why is the political party to which he is attached relevant?

If a black person were to receive this honor, would you refer to him churlishly as "Sir African-American"?

Alif Qadr
04-15-2013, 12:37 PM
Former Sen. Lugar to be knighted by the British

By HENRY C. JACKSON Associated Press The Associated Press
Monday, April 15, 2013 12:15 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former Sen. Richard Lugar is being knighted on orders from the Queen of England, joining a select list of Americans to receive the distinction.
The Indiana Republican, who this year left the Senate after serving 36 years, will receive the rank of honorary Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire during a ceremony at the British Embassy in Washington on Tuesday. The British Ambassador, Sir Peter Westmacott, is set to preside.
Since leaving the Senate, Lugar has taken on various roles, including leading the Richard G. Lugar Institute for Diplomacy and Congress with the German Marshall Fund. He also serves as a distinguished scholar and professor at the Indiana University School of Global and International Studies.
Lugar said he is deeply honored to be knighted. "I will focus my service on solving our most serious challenges in a spirit of cooperation between our countries," he said in a statement Monday.
He said he was first inspired by Queen Elizabeth's leadership "when she received me as the young Rhodes Scholar in London, 58 years ago and asked me about Indiana."
Lugar's studies at Oxford University were his first outside of the United States. He went on to become one of the Senate's foremost foreign policy experts, focusing much of his work on nuclear proliferation issues and relations with Europe. Along with former Sen. Sam Nunn, D-Ga., Lugar crafted legislation that helped eliminate nuclear warheads in the former Soviet Union.
Lugar will not be known as "sir" Lugar — only royal subjects can carry that title. But few Americans have received honorary knighthood, including Presidents Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush.
Lugar was defeated in a Republican primary in 2012, finishing his sixth term in office early this year. Democratic Sen. Joe Donnelly won the race to replace him.

I think that being knighted by any power, especially that of the British Crown is an outright betrayal of the supposed founding principles of the United States. There is no excuse for it and such behavior needs to be condemned outright by any sensible person of the nation called the United States. The United States are supposed to be a bulwark against any supposed "noble" authority and/or recognition. It especially betrays the ideas and principles of one Thomas Locke who was very influential in guiding some of the founders of this nation. I reject them and refuse to recognize anyone who receives such titles and honors.

Alif Qadr
04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Why is the political party to which he is attached relevant?

If a black person were to receive this honor, would you refer to him churlishly as "Sir African-American"?

I would refer to him as slave, so and so.

Alif Qadr
04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
I would refer to him or her as slave so and so.

nic34
04-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Nothing racist in that remark.... move along.

TheDictator
04-15-2013, 12:51 PM
I think that being knighted by any power, especially that of the British Crown is an outright betrayal of the supposed founding principles of the United States. There is no excuse for it and such behavior needs to be condemned outright by any sensible person of the nation called the United States. The United States are supposed to be a bulwark against any supposed "noble" authority and/or recognition. It especially betrays the ideas and principles of one Thomas Locke who was very influential in guiding some of the founders of this nation. I reject them and refuse to recognize anyone who receives such titles and honors.

We left the ideas of the founding principles and the constitution a long time ago. Ask any Liberal.

pjohns
04-17-2013, 04:46 PM
This is simply about an honorific. Nothing more and nothing less.

If one has received a doctorate, we do not refer to him (or her) as "Mr." (or "Mrs."), but as "Dr."

I really don't think we should spurn that principle here, out of some misplaced sense of egalitarianism...

patrickt
04-17-2013, 05:03 PM
"But few Americans have received honorary knighthood, including Presidents Dwight Eisenhower, Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush."

That's why the article had to identify Sen. Lugar as a Republican. The Democrats are so jealous. You don't see President Johnson or President Carter or President Clinton on the list, do you?

There was an amendment proposed in 1810 stripping citizenship from anyone accepting a foreign title. The amendment never passed so.