PDA

View Full Version : After Chávez

Mister D
07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I thought I saw him on the news the other day saying he was OK. Granted, that might not be the truth but I wonder how ill he is?

The news from Havana that Venezuela’s president-dictator Hugo Chávez is in “critical condition” in a Cuban hospital has naturally electrified the public in his own country and aroused a wave of curiosity throughout the region. Nothing has been heard from him in over two weeks (except for a tweet which well might have been posted by an aide). Members of his family have been summoned to his side. The colorless non-entity who serves as his vice-president has quietly assumed the helm of state.

All kinds of intriguing questions are posed. How ill is Chávez really? Will he recover? If he does, will this enhance his faltering numbers with public opinion when he runs for reelection (a third six-year term, not counting the first couple of years under Venezuela’s pre-chavista constitution) in 2012? But the bigger issue, of course, is what happens if Chávez dies?

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/270732/after-ch-vez-mark-falcoff

Conley
07-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Wow, that's huge news. I hadn't heard any of this. So the health care in Cuba is better than Venezuela? I guess it's true they have been able to keep Castro technically alive for a long time. It's hard to imagine Venezuela surviving in its current state without Chavez, though, I imagine some blood will be shed to fill that power vacuum.

Does anyone really believe Chavez would allow himself to lose an "election" ???

Mister D
07-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Wow, that's huge news. I hadn't heard any of this. So the health care in Cuba is better than Venezuela? I guess it's true they have been able to keep Castro technically alive for a long time. It's hard to imagine Venezuela surviving in its current state without Chavez, though, I imagine some blood will be shed to fill that power vacuum.

Does anyone really believe Chavez would allow himself to lose an "election" ???

I haven't been watching the news much lately so that may be why I haven't heard much about it. I would think I'd see a headline or two when I check my email but I just happened to see a blurb on Fox a few days ago and now this article.

Mister D
07-03-2011, 02:43 PM
And, no, at this point I don't think Chavez could be removed peacefully. He would some reason to call the election results into question and refuse to step down. He has a lot of support in his country plus not a few leftists in the west.

Conley
07-03-2011, 03:22 PM
And, no, at this point I don't think Chavez could be removed peacefully. He would some reason to call the election results into question and refuse to step down. He has a lot of support in his country plus not a few leftists in the west.

True, Sean Penn would probably donate to his "reelection campaign" ::)

MMC
07-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Danny Glover too....huh?

Mister D
07-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Danny Glover too....huh?

I hope he never gets a cab ride again. ;D

Captain Obvious
07-03-2011, 09:20 PM
Who knows what Chavez's condition is much like Castro's condition being hidden.

That's what Chavez gets for having surgery in Cuba. Where's Michael Moore now?

Conley
07-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Did Chavez get sick while visiting Cuba or did he travel to Cuba on purpose to have his surgery there, I wonder...

Mister D
07-04-2011, 03:33 PM

Did Chavez get sick while visiting Cuba or did he travel to Cuba on purpose to have his surgery there, I wonder...

I'd imagine the latter but I don't know for sure.

Conley
07-04-2011, 04:19 PM

yes, you're probably right. still, with the money chavez has at his hands it just seems odd to go there...maybe they have US or European trained physicians there. i admit i don't know anything about the cuban health care system and never watched 'sicko'.

Mister D
07-04-2011, 04:43 PM

yes, you're probably right. still, with the money chavez has at his hands it just seems odd to go there...maybe they have US or European trained physicians there. i admit i don't know anything about the cuban health care system and never watched 'sicko'.

I guess it was a political decision in some respects. He's an ally of Castro and has talked up the greatness that is Cuba so he'd look a little hypocritical going to Europe and there is no way he'd come here but that would be hysterical.

Conley
07-04-2011, 05:11 PM

I guess it was a political decision in some respects. He's an ally of Castro and has talked up the greatness that is Cuba so he'd look a little hypocritical going to Europe and there is no way he'd come here but that would be hysterical.

Sure, I just figured with all that oil money he could afford to fly in a few docs, along with keeping it hush hush. Maybe he never thought he was in any danger; it was a routine procedure that got botched. Guess we'll likely never know the truth...

Mister D
07-04-2011, 05:14 PM

Sure, I just figured with all that oil money he could afford to fly in a few docs, along with keeping it hush hush. Maybe he never thought he was in any danger; it was a routine procedure that got botched. Guess we'll likely never know the truth...

That's a good point. He could have flown docs in but maybe it's a complicated procedure that not only requires special equipment but has a possibility of going wrong. I guess you'd want be where you can get the emergency help. Now is that Cuba? :D Touche.

Conley
07-04-2011, 05:25 PM

That's a good point. He could have flown docs in but maybe it's a complicated procedure that not only requires special equipment but has a possibility of going wrong. I guess you'd want be where you can get the emergency help. Now is that Cuba? :D Touche.

:D Yeah, if I were him, I'd fly to somewhere neutral, like Switzerland, and pay out the ass for the best medical care I could get. I probably wouldn't go to the U.S. because I'd be paranoid of the CIA engineering a surgical mishap. Which may be what actually happened anyway in Cuba :glasses7: :glasses6:

Mister D
07-04-2011, 05:33 PM

:D Yeah, if I were him, I'd fly to somewhere neutral, like Switzerland, and pay out the ass for the best medical care I could get. I probably wouldn't go to the U.S. because I'd be paranoid of the CIA engineering a surgical mishap. Which may be what actually happened anyway in Cuba :glasses7: :glasses6:

:D Yeah, there is no way he'd come here for it. He'd look awful from a political POV. Can you imagine him coming to the US for surgery? It would undermine all his rhetoric. Seriously, that's almost like Osama flying in for dialysis although one suspects that he doesn't have that problem anymore. ;D

MMC
07-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Will Smith - Men in Black (HQ Official Music Video) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIQUOREdbsA#ws)

What Someone mention the Men in Black.....

testsubjectalpha
03-14-2024, 08:43 PM
You mean Maduro?

I thought I saw him on the news the other day saying he was OK. Granted, that might not be the truth but I wonder how ill he is?

The news from Havana that Venezuela’s president-dictator Hugo Chávez is in “critical condition” in a Cuban hospital has naturally electrified the public in his own country and aroused a wave of curiosity throughout the region. Nothing has been heard from him in over two weeks (except for a tweet which well might have been posted by an aide). Members of his family have been summoned to his side. The colorless non-entity who serves as his vice-president has quietly assumed the helm of state.

All kinds of intriguing questions are posed. How ill is Chávez really? Will he recover? If he does, will this enhance his faltering numbers with public opinion when he runs for reelection (a third six-year term, not counting the first couple of years under Venezuela’s pre-chavista constitution) in 2012? But the bigger issue, of course, is what happens if Chávez dies?

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/270732/after-ch-vez-mark-falcoff

NoisyBoy
03-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Dang! Nearly 13 year old thread.