PDA

View Full Version : Reasons not to past the FASTR act?

SammyB
04-20-2013, 10:35 AM
The FASTR (Fair Access to Science and Technology Research) act of 2013 is a bill stating that any Government organization spending 100 million or more on extramural research ensures the funded research is available to the public for free. I'm writing a school paper on it and so far haven't seen any opposition to it and feel like there has to be something I'm missing; could someone explain the downsides of the bill for me?

The actual bill text: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr708/text

Greenridgeman
04-20-2013, 11:03 AM
The FASTR (Fair Access to Science and Technology Research) act of 2013 is a bill stating that any Government organization spending 100 million or more on extramural research ensures the funded research is available to the public for free. I'm writing a school paper on it and so far haven't seen any reasons not to pass it during my research on it other than vague logic-less rants from big publishing companies afraid they'll loose money; could someone explain the downsides of the bill for me?

The actual bill text: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr708/text

Sorry, you lost me at "vague logic-less rants from big publishing companies ".

If you are in school, writing a school paper, perhaps you don't know a "vague logic-less rant" from a logical argument put forth by a successful business.

Hint: When you solicit opinion, don't telegraph your prejudices.

Good luck with your paper, but, I wrote many the old fashioned way, roughed out by hand, then typed by hand.

A semi-moron can get a PhD these days, with all the technology and the manual labor taken out of it, the sheer drudgery of it all eliminated.

I got my Master's back when correcting typewriters had just appeared, and thought that a great thing, but, I also swore I'd never write another paper again.

Unless paid, I have been known to do that.

Got money?

SammyB
04-20-2013, 11:09 AM
Definitely possible that I missed the logic on what I saw, as I'm pretty new to taking this kind of stuff seriously, and also am young, stupid, and without wisdom, but I was hoping someone like you could help fix that?

Greenridgeman
04-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Definitely possible that I missed the logic on what I saw, as I'm pretty new to taking this kind of stuff seriously, and also am young, stupid, and without wisdom, but I was hoping someone like you could help fix that?

Knowing you are young, stupid and without wisdom is such a great step forward.

I find that highly commendable, and such honesty and humility a rare find.

I really can't fix young, you may be without knowledge, but are not really stupid, but, unlearned and un-experienced, that will come, and with time wisdom will follow.

I could list countless things NOT to do.

Here is what I would tell you:

1. I could write your paper for you, that would not be good in the long run.

2. Do not get behind on your paper, I've written many in the last 24 hours before they were due, or, even written them late. It is never worth the stress.

3. Broader advice, arrive on time, faithfully, with a smile, appropriately dressed. Have what you need for the job, if going to an interview, have both black and blue pens, should you have to deal with paper, some people are very picky, and have all references and phone numbers and any other thing you may need, handy.

4. Read the Bible, love the Lord, serve Him in some way. Don't get your ass kicked down to the gutter before you realize this.

Now, you get off the net and go write that paper.

SammyB
04-20-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm not really in need of general life advice, just the negatives to this bill! Do you see any cons to it?

Greenridgeman
04-20-2013, 11:28 AM
I'm not really in need of general life advice, just the negatives to this bill! Do you see any cons to it?

No dude, can't help you there. Can serve as a bad example though.

Im a rollin stone all alone and lost
For a life of sin I have paid the cost
When I pass by all the people say
Just another guy on the lost highway

Just a deck of cards and a jug of wine
And a womans lies makes a life like mine
O the day we met, I went astray
I started rolling down that lost highway

I was just a lad, nearly 22
Neither good nor bad, just a kid like you
And now Im lost, too late to pray
Lord I paid a price, on the lost highway

Now boys don't start to ramblin round
On this road of sin are you sorrow bound
Take my advice or you'll curse the day
You started rollin down that lost highway

Have fun with your paper, I have had fun with you, I am retired, don't do heavy thinking any more unless very well paid.

simpsonofpg
04-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Sorry, you lost me at "vague logic-less rants from big publishing companies ".

If you are in school, writing a school paper, perhaps you don't know a "vague logic-less rant" from a logical argument put forth by a successful business.

Hint: When you solicit opinion, don't telegraph your prejudices.

Good luck with your paper, but, I wrote many the old fashioned way, roughed out by hand, then typed by hand.

A semi-moron can get a PhD these days, with all the technology and the manual labor taken out of it, the sheer drudgery of it all eliminated.

I got my Master's back when correcting typewriters had just appeared, and thought that a great thing, but, I also swore I'd never write another paper again.

Unless paid, I have been known to do that.

Got money?

I got my masters in International Business using a manual Smith Corona portable typewriter and a gallon of white out. I think it still works but I don't know where to buy a ribbon for it.